Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child refugees -majority to be males aged 17???

Comments

Explain how it is racist bearing in mind Irish does not = a race of people

Dictionary.com:
    noun 1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

2. a population so related.

4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic lineage: the Slavic race.

5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.

There are a lot of definitions for the word "race".
    So, yes, it was a racist statement.
    gitzy16v wrote: »
    Ive no idea.
    In my mind its f-all to do with religion,Im sick of running the gauntlet of hooligans in Calais.
    And then I hear we are taking them in and helping them...fcuk no,2 smashed windscreens,countless replaced mirrors and every trailer ripped and now they get rewarded?????

In bold: Why cant anybody see there are far more deserving and needing of our charity than the Calais migrants...there was a car bomb set off in a Syrian refugee camp in Jordan today,surely we need to help those first.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/deadly-bomb-blast-hits-syria-rakban-refugee-camp-170121130211057.html

Of course there are more deserving people. There are probably newly orphaned kids in that camp.
    It would be more fitting for Zappone et al to offer help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Mary63 wrote: »
    Its just as well you are no longer living in the UK Timberrrr, you wouldn't be able to cope with how"racist"your fellow countrymen were.They voted to leave the EU mostly because of immigration, they saw the prospect of Turkey with its fifty million muslims entering the UK and the British people pulled up the drawbridge.Now I felt very happy thinking the British foreign office might mind us Irish against the terrorists but if Enda Kenny isn't nice to Theresa May that won't be happening.The British foreign office and the counter intelligence agencies have foiled many terrorists threats that the general public don't know about and we Irish are in their debt.

We don't know how Britain leaving the EU will affect us but its very worrying.For a start we will no longer be able to avail of cross border treatment, and this includes orthodontic treatment for teenagers.Our young people if going to study in the UK will no longer be eligible for subsidies, this means bearing the full cost of third level education.This has all resulted from a Middle East problem that has nothing to do with us.There is as much chance of me settling in happily to a life in Kuwait as there is a muslim from Pakistan settling in Ballaghaderreen.

Total blinkered we are all one happy family stuff.

Glad as a man you could travel in safety wherever you went Timberrr, a young woman with Downs syndrome couldn't even go for a jog with her mother without being imprisoned and raped by a pakistani living in Dublin.He had been accosting Irish women on the streets before this poor victim crossed his path.How did he get into this country and how many more like him are here too.I hope he can be deported out of this country but we will have the Civil liberties brigade talking about his human rights and the free legal aid board will be called on to provide legal aid to him.

That rape case was chilling. During the court case it was said that the rapist claimed he hadn't realised the victim had Downs Syndrome because ''people like her'' would be locked away in his country.

Says it all about the kind of culture many Muslim men grow up in. Not all, needless to say, but many of them who come from particular Islamic-rule countries. That is a fact, not racism.

If people think it's not going to impact on our own culture and society they are horribly naive. Right now there are streets in Paris where women aren't ''allowed'' out, and Parisian cafes where women aren't welcome. Look for the documentary on this. I think it was Channel 4..

You're so right!
    Obviously because that Pakistani man raped a down syndrome woman, clearly every Pakistani man is a rapist.
    We should definitely ban all Pakistani people from Ireland.
    Also, the terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by a small few Muslim men, we should definitely ban all Muslim people from Ireland.
    In fact, we should only allow true Irish people to live in Ireland. However, you would define 'Irish'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Explain how it is racist bearing in mind Irish does not = a race of people

You have traveled around the world lived in other countries so have others so what . Your posts are getting boring .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Brian? wrote: »
    Is Austrian a race?

About as much of a race as muslim is.
    I'm currently undergoing the assessment to foster children. I'll happily foster any of these kids.

I do hope you don't have any daughters.
    i actually visited most of these places as a British male, never experienced any of the above nor heard of them in the decade or so i was in these countries

A British male complaining about the Irish. :rolleyes:

BTW do you speak Arabic or Farsi ?

Did you visit some of those places on business ?
    If you did you may have been chaperoned or else just saw a sanitised version of reality.

If you seriously think some of the most racist people in the world are Irish you haven't gotten out much when you traveled or you never really met the locals.

Maybe you should add USA and South Africa to your list.

I know some guys who have worked in Middle East and thought it was a great life and they didn't mind the natives.
    Then again some others have nothing but utter contempt for the natives, particularly the connected ones, after having to deal with them.
    They were there simply for the money and if they had their way they would have been happy to see Sadam wipe them all out.

People can have very different experiences and if you are working for major company or military you can get vastly different treatment.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    You're so right!
    Obviously because that Pakistani man raped a down syndrome woman, clearly every Pakistani man is a rapist.
    We should definitely ban all Pakistani people from Ireland.
    Also, the terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by a small few Muslim men, we should definitely ban all Muslim people from Ireland.
    In fact, we should only allow true Irish people to live in Ireland. However, you would define 'Irish'

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Its just as well you are no longer living in the UK Timberrrr, you wouldn't be able to cope with how"racist"your fellow countrymen were.They voted to leave the EU mostly because of immigration, they saw the prospect of Turkey with its fifty million muslims entering the UK and the British people pulled up the drawbridge.Now I felt very happy thinking the British foreign office might mind us Irish against the terrorists but if Enda Kenny isn't nice to Theresa May that won't be happening.The British foreign office and the counter intelligence agencies have foiled many terrorists threats that the general public don't know about and we Irish are in their debt.

We don't know how Britain leaving the EU will affect us but its very worrying.For a start we will no longer be able to avail of cross border treatment, and this includes orthodontic treatment for teenagers.Our young people if going to study in the UK will no longer be eligible for subsidies, this means bearing the full cost of third level education.This has all resulted from a Middle East problem that has nothing to do with us.There is as much chance of me settling in happily to a life in Kuwait as there is a muslim from Pakistan settling in Ballaghaderreen.

Total blinkered we are all one happy family stuff.

Glad as a man you could travel in safety wherever you went Timberrr, a young woman with Downs syndrome couldn't even go for a jog with her mother without being imprisoned and raped by a pakistani living in Dublin.He had been accosting Irish women on the streets before this poor victim crossed his path.How did he get into this country and how many more like him are here too.I hope he can be deported out of this country but we will have the Civil liberties brigade talking about his human rights and the free legal aid board will be called on to provide legal aid to him.

Erm
    I am back living in the UK since last year and haven't witnessed any racism, not saying it doesn't happen just saying I haven't witnessed any.

rgossip30 wrote: »
    You have traveled around the world lived in other countries so have others so what . Your posts are getting boring .

Feel free not to read them so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

You didn't witness any in Ireland either, people being free to express their disquiet about undocumented immigrants being allowed in is not racism.

You didn't witness any in Ireland either, people being free to express their disquiet about undocumented immigrants being allowed in is not racism.

Oh but Mary i did, You may not like the fact that i did but none the less it happened my dear it happened a lot, Especially towards the Polish and Chinese lads that used to work in construction.

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0314/774725-man-jailed-for-raping-woman-with-down-syndrome/

Its not just what he was charged with, its his history prior to getting into this country is the issue.How was he vetted to make sure he hadn't raped before.

One of my relatives worked with Eastern European people and they insisted in conversing among themselves in their own language even though they could speak english and had been instructed by management to use english in the workplace, this is very racist too.

Oh but Mary i did, You may not like the fact that i did but none the less it happened my dear it happened a lot, Especially towards the Polish and Chinese lads that used to work in construction.

Were you looking in the mirror at the time

One of my relatives worked with Eastern European people and they insisted in conversing among themselves in their own language even though they could speak english and had been instructed by management to use english in the workplace, this is very racist too.

Agreed, not allowing people to speak in their native language to each other must be some form of discrimination!
    Glad you're starting to see what racism is Mary.......

Erm
    I am back living in the UK since last year and haven't witnessed any racism, not saying it doesn't happen just saying I haven't witnessed any.

Did you back for Brexit or you just don't like the Irish .I have found the British more vocal about immigration the reason for brexit !

It wasn't speaking in their native language that was the problem, it was speaking in their native language thus making fellow employees feel isolated and uncomfortable.It was said fellow employees going to management to complain about this while being afraid of being called racist and then management instructing that as english was the common language among all the employees then english should be spoken.

You head off to Poland or to China and work on a building site Timberrr and come back and tell s how the red carpet was put out for you.!!!!!!!

The Chinese call us round eyes and while they are happy to teach us their language they don't want us to fully understand it so when you get to a certain proficiency they won't teach you anymore of it..

Im thinking of what the Chinese do to the Tibetans so won't be losing any sleep over their experiences on Irish building sites at all.I doubt if there are many Chinese working on Irish building sites, how would they get visas to work here.
    http://http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/aer-lingus-employees-suspected-of-using-catering-vehicles-to-smuggle-immigrants-into-ireland-35390164.html

Now we know how some of these undesirables have been getting in.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0314/774725-man-jailed-for-raping-woman-with-down-syndrome/

Its not just what he was charged with, its his history prior to getting into this country is the issue.How was he vetted to make sure he hadn't raped before.

You really need to educate yourself on the meaning of the word racist Mary because honestly it doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Did you back for Brexit or you just don't like the Irish .I have found the British more vocal about immigration the reason for brexit !

I came to the UK after Brexit and no I didn't vote in the election. There is a former nursing home near to where I am located currently being converted for immigrants and I haven't heard much talk against it from anyone in the area. Also why would I not "like the irish"?

It wasn't speaking in their native language that was the problem, it was speaking in their native language thus making fellow employees feel isolated and uncomfortable.It was said fellow employees going to management to complain about this while being afraid of being called racist and then management instructing that as english was the common language among all the employees then english should be spoken.

You head off to Poland or to China and work on a building site Timberrr and come back and tell s how the red carpet was put out for you.!!!!!!!

The Chinese call us round eyes and while they are happy to teach us their language they don't want us to fully understand it so when you get to a certain proficiency they won't teach you anymore of it..

Im thinking of what the Chinese do to the Tibetans so won't be losing any sleep over their experiences on Irish building sites at all.I doubt if there are many Chinese working on Irish building sites, how would they get visas to work here.
    http://http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/aer-lingus-employees-suspected-of-using-catering-vehicles-to-smuggle-immigrants-into-ireland-35390164.html

Now we know how some of these undesirables have been getting in.

Awful bang of racism from your posts Mary, the mask is slipping.

I came to the UK after Brexit and no I didn't vote in the election. There is a former nursing home near to where I am located currently being converted for immigrants and I haven't heard much talk against it from anyone in the area. Also why would I not "like the irish"?

I hope you will be very happy and live the blissful life in your multicultural utopia .:)

I hope you will be very happy and live the blissful life in your multicultural utopia .:)

You too ;)

• Advertisement

It wasn't speaking in their native language that was the problem, it was speaking in their native language thus making fellow employees feel isolated and uncomfortable

Poor little English speaking snowflakes were a bit paranoid because they couldn't understand the foreigners?
    Give me a break.
    The only people at fault here are the English speakers, who must have some kind of mental issues to be so paranoid. Why would they possibly presume that the foreigners are talking about them?

I went to college with about 5 native Irish speakers, they spoke to each other in Irish all the time. The rest of us couldn't understand a word. Maybe you think the college should have banned them from speaking Irish in case the rest of us thought they were talking about us?

Poor little English speaking snowflakes were a bit paranoid because they couldn't understand the foreigners?
    Give me a break.
    The only people at fault here are the English speakers, who must have some kind of mental issues to be so paranoid. Why would they possibly presume that the foreigners are talking about them?

I went to college with about 5 native Irish speakers, they spoke to each other in Irish all the time. The rest of us couldn't understand a word. Maybe you think the college should have banned them from speaking Irish in case the rest of us thought they were talking about us?

Actually AFAIK there was quiet recently a Kerry barman in Cork who I believe took case for dismissal or at least was dismissed for refusing to stop speaking Irish.
    He was told he should converse in English.

Now remembering threads on this issue, some people were of the view screw him for daring to speak his native tongue, others defending his right to converse how he liked, others highlighting how the business got to dictate what people did and some complaining that if it was Chinese, Poles, whatever it would be seen as racial discrimination.

It is a thorny issue and depending on people involved it could be seen as a form of bullying to a degree.

You too ;)

Ireland agreed to take in 4K refugees for its population of 4.5 million .Britain agreed to take in 20K for its population of 64 million in terms of population they should be taking in 56 K . Britain has an issue with Polish immigrant numbers one reason for Brexit . Ireland has no issue in this regard .

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually AFAIK there was quiet recently a Kerry barman in Cork who I believe took case for dismissal or at least was dismissed for refusing to stop speaking Irish.
    He was told he should converse in English.

Now remembering threads on this issue, some people were of the view screw him for daring to speak his native tongue, others defending his right to converse how he liked, others highlighting how the business got to dictate what people did and some complaining that if it was Chinese, Poles, whatever it would be seen as racial discrimination.

It is a thorny issue and depending on people involved it could be seen as a form of bullying to a degree.

Yea, I remember that case, I think his employers didn't want him speaking to customers in Irish, iirc.

I don't think its poor little snowflakes if someone actually dreads going into work because of their workmates behaviour and I posted this in relation to Timberrr saying how Poles were treated on the building site and how terrible the Irish were.This was an Irish person working on her own with maybe ten Poles and no one spoke to her all day.They laughed and joked among themselves in Polish even though a staff meeting had been called and they were told this was making their colleague miserable.This colleague now can't stand Polish people so another failed exercise in multiculturalism.

Yea, I remember that case, I think his employers didn't want him speaking to customers in Irish, iirc.

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-banned-in-pub-2971920-Sep2016/

According to the employee:
    Another man from home was working with me, so every day I’d have a chat with him for maybe five minutes in Irish,” Ó Bruic told Raidio na Gaeltachta.
    There were two or three others working there too who were very interested in the language, and we used to speak Irish together.
    “One day, one of the owners came behind the bar and told us that we weren’t allowed to speak Irish. The following day, again, the owner told me I wasn’t allowed to speak Irish in his pub.

According to the employer:
    This matter is certainly not about the Irish language,” the statement says, adding however that “while at work the most sensible and practical language to speak is English”.
    In a statement to RnaG, pub owner Finbarr O’Shea said that there were certain clothes that people needed to wear while working in his pub – and similarly a certain language they needed to speak while working.
    He said he wanted to keep English as the working language “because it’s a hospitality business”. He saw no difference between other languages and the languages of Ireland. “We’re all Europeans after all.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-banned-in-pub-2971920-Sep2016/

According to the employee:

According to the employer:

There is a difference, when the language being spoken is actually the native language of the country. I would think, stopping a barman in Amsterdam from speaking Dutch, even though 90% of customers might be speaking English, is fundamentally different to treating the native language as the same as other European languages. It isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Hardly a child at 16 - 17 they are military aged males they are men not children. under 15 is a child imo

dissed doc wrote: »
    There is a difference, when the language being spoken is actually the native language of the country. I would think, stopping a barman in Amsterdam from speaking Dutch, even though 90% of customers might be speaking English, is fundamentally different to treating the native language as the same as other European languages. It isn't.

Of course.

I just posted the link to prove that A: It wasn't about speaking Irish to customers, and B: I thought the owners statement was hilarious.

"It's not about the Irish language, but you're not allowed to speak Irish!"

I should have made that clearer. Apologies, I was in a hurry at the time.:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hardly a child at 16 - 17 they are military aged males they are men not children. under 15 is a child imo

But not legally an adult until 18.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

But not legally an adult until 18.

The British are sending children off to war?

I don't think its poor little snowflakes if someone actually dreads going into work because of their workmates behaviour and I posted this in relation to Timberrr saying how Poles were treated on the building site and how terrible the Irish were.This was an Irish person working on her own with maybe ten Poles and no one spoke to her all day.They laughed and joked among themselves in Polish even though a staff meeting had been called and they were told this was making their colleague miserable.This colleague now can't stand Polish people so another failed exercise in multiculturalism.

They didn't do anything to make her job miserable, she was clearly paranoid.
    Why she should think they were talking & laughing about her, is gas!.
    Maybe she was so full of her own importance!

They didn't do anything to make her job miserable, she was clearly paranoid.
    Why she should think they were talking & laughing about her, is gas!.
    Maybe she was so full of her own importance!

Paranoia seems to run in the family.

Paranoia seems to run in the family.

LOLZ

I don't think anyone could say the Poles bring a totally different culture to Ireland.
    They are not that different to Irish people and they do fit in quiet well.
    They are from primarily a catholic background, they like a few drinks, they are Europeans and they have a sad history of being conquered and screwed over by their neighbours.

Mulitculturalism seems to have been coined to basically sell the fact that integration, of in particular muslims, has failed.
    Thus rather than one mono culture lets conceed that we have mulitple cultures in our society and some of these cultures basically wants nothing to do with the dominant indigenous culture.

Mulitculturalism basically admits fauilure of integration and twin or parallel societies.
    Of course some would like to play it as meaning that immigrants can hang onto some of their old social customs, they can play their old games and sports from home, they can hang out together socially and celebrate their own holidays.
    oh and they can eat their own foods and have their own restuarants, take aways and shops.

The Irish have done that in particular in the USA.
    So have the Italians, Mexicans, Cubans, etc.

The thing is though they are American first and foremost and they didn't want to set up their own legal systems, their own parallel societies.
    And they didn't detest the country that took them in, even when they weren't always very welcoming and not dishing out any handouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

not that it matters but English, Spanish, German and Swedish.

Ich persönlich glaube, dass es eine Lüge ist, dass du diese Sprachen fließend sprichst. Beweise mir das Gegenteil.

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Ich persönlich glaube, dass es eine Lüge ist, dass du diese Sprachen fließend sprichst. Beweise mir das Gegenteil.

I don't care wether you believe me or not my friend I don't feel the need to validate myself to strangers on the Internet;)

I don't care wether you believe me or not my friend I don't feel the need to validate myself to strangers on the Internet;)

Ganz wie ich gedacht hatte.

Ganz wie ich gedacht hatte.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Ill speak English so, seeing as you obviously can't speak German.

Roll your eyes all you want, I've just called you out as being a liar.

• Advertisement

Ill speak English so, seeing as you obviously can't speak German.

Roll your eyes all you want, I've just called you out as being a liar.

You have asked me one question in German, I replied! Would you prefer I had replied in German? What would this prove? 20 seconds on Google translate could give anyone the answer to what you wrote and a reply. I could have replied in congolese or swahili if I wanted it wouldn't prove anything.

You have mistakenly called me a liar and I would like you to remind that accusation, The only way I could actually satisfy your question is if we were face to face.

20 seconds on Google translate could give anyone the answer to what you wrote

Exactly.

Exactly.

So your silly little test proves nothing

Now please apologise for calling me a liar.

So your silly little test proves nothing

Now please apologise for calling me a liar.

Refrain from getting frothy at the mouth with rage.
    I called you nothing of the sort.

Refrain from getting frothy at the mouth with rage.
    I called you nothing of the sort.

My apologies I has you mixed up with another poster.

The PC brigade are hilarious, Irish people are among the most racist on the planet and we are so awful to want immigration of non nationals controlled.

An Irish person is made to feel uncomfortable in their workplace by a group of Polish colleagues we should have laid out the red carpet to welcome.Instead of the Poles trying to make an effort to speak in english, a language they are fully competent in, they speak in Polish knowing this makes a work environment very unpleasant for the single Irish person who doesn't speak Polish.Its the fault of the Irish person that they don't learn Polish and the fact that they haven't done this and feel isolated means they are paranoid.

You really couldn't make this nonsense up.

Why do the UK authorities have a problem with the number of Poles coming into the UK.The Poles pose no danger to their host country as afar as I know though they do seem to have a huge problem with alcohol and are regularly in Court facing serious charges.Seemingly they don't pay car insurance either, all those VW small cars you see being driven so dangerously are being driven by Poles with no insurance.

ETA http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/court-hears-of-17-individuals-in-one-room-in-dublin-house-1.2948095

Hopefully if all these people are illegal immigrants they an all be deported now.More than likely though they will be put on the councils housing list and given emergency accommodation.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/let-s-talk-about-the-link-between-immigration-and-low-reproduction-rates-1.2926375

This is a really well written article, Katherine Zappone should definitely read it.

The PC brigade are hilarious, Irish people are among the most racist on the planet and we are so awful to want immigration of non nationals controlled.

An Irish person is made to feel uncomfortable in their workplace by a group of Polish colleagues we should have laid out the red carpet to welcome.Instead of the Poles trying to make an effort to speak in english, a language they are fully competent in, they speak in Polish knowing this makes a work environment very unpleasant for the single Irish person who doesn't speak Polish.Its the fault of the Irish person that they don't learn Polish and the fact that they haven't done this and feel isolated means they are paranoid.

You really couldn't make this nonsense up.

Why do the UK authorities have a problem with the number of Poles coming into the UK.The Poles pose no danger to their host country as afar as I know though they do seem to have a huge problem with alcohol and are regularly in Court facing serious charges.Seemingly they don't pay car insurance either, all those VW small cars you see being driven so dangerously are being driven by Poles with no insurance.

ETA http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/court-hears-of-17-individuals-in-one-room-in-dublin-house-1.2948095

Hopefully if all these people are illegal immigrants they an all be deported now.More than likely though they will be put on the councils housing list and given emergency accommodation.

And exactly what do polish people have to do with refugees from Calais?

You have asked me one question in German, I replied! Would you prefer I had replied in German? What would this prove? 20 seconds on Google translate could give anyone the answer to what you wrote and a reply. I could have replied in congolese or swahili if I wanted it wouldn't prove anything.

You have mistakenly called me a liar and I would like you to remind that accusation, The only way I could actually satisfy your question is if we were face to face.

If you were actually fluent in any other languages, you would know that Google translate can't form sentence structures, so even if you were to type something longer than two words in, it wouldn't make any sense.

So just as you're quick to pull the racist card to people, i'm pulling the spoof card on you.

If you were actually fluent in any other languages, you would know that Google translate can't form sentence structures, so even if you were to type something longer than two words in, it wouldn't make any sense.

So just as you're quick to pull the racist card to people, i'm pulling the spoof card on you.

Lol

Who have I called racist? Link to that post please?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement