Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Great pictures! What are the shadowy things above the wings and cockpit in dsaint1's last photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

fjon wrote: »
    Great pictures! What are the shadowy things above the wings and cockpit in dsaint1's last photo?

Vapour generated by speed and the weather conditions

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Heres a more extreme example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Heres a more extreme example

Wow, that looks amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Interesting; would it have been even better if it had gone >1 (sonic boom, more of the vapour thing and all that)?

Over Mach .95 will never happen at Bray (or the majority of airshows).

Apart from the potential property damage, the shockwave can do serious damage to the eardrums of babies and toddlers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

As a plane nears Mach 1 the air gets compressed and forms vapor.

The F18 was going trans-sonic so the shockwave you get with breaking the sound barrier was starting to form around the parts of the plane where the air flow was nearing supersonic speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Over Mach .95 will never happen at Bray (or the majority of airshows).

Apart from the potential property damage, the shockwave can do serious damage to the eardrums of babies and toddlers.
    Ah well.
    (Random youtube vid from a 'racier' airshow :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayy2vuommXY )

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

35958203332_d8fc600d69_z.jpgC.15.18 by aidan mills, on Flickr

C.15.18 EF-18M Hornet from the Spanish air force pulling up during its display in Bray yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Great Pics from the Bray Airshow and interesting discussion about Sonic Boom

Vid re Boom and windows breaking
    http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/sonic-booms-are-so-powerful-that-they-will-easily-shatt-1756003489

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

F18s just after being circling casement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

2 FI8S Just went over what a sight

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Astro1996

...__... wrote: »
    2 FI8S Just went over what a sight

...and what a sound! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

A fighter jet just flew over my house, noise from the thing. Just wondering would it be from this?

In D15

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Spanish F-18's took off 28 with number 2 doing a spectacular departure!

He held it level until abeam the mound at 10 and pulled up!

You would almost think he did it for the spotters!

We were on the norhern public road so hopefully someone videod it from the mound?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just buzzed D2 - lovely sound. Pity they're no on FR24.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Strikemaster approaching Hollyhead on fr24

In todays Irish Times reporting on the Air Show yesterday,

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/laws-of-physics-seem-to-bend-at-bray-air-display-1.3164555
    There was also a tribute to the crew of Rescue 116, the Air Corps helicopter
    that crashed off Co Mayo in March, with a helicopter flying overhead as a poem dedicated to the four deceased was recited.

Unbelievable bad reporting on such a serious incident that they cant put the correct information in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

If there were two of the F18’s, how come only one at Bray? I had assumed they would both do Foynes on Sat, then Bray on Sun, so was looking around for a while for a second before I realised there would be none

If there were two of the F18’s, how come only one at Bray? I had assumed they would both do Foynes on Sat, then Bray on Sun, so was looking around for a while for a second before I realised there would be none

There is always a 2nd aircraft in case the display aircraft has a fault that would prevent them displaying so they can use the spare one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Trebor176 wrote: »
    As per usual, the airshow was brilliant, and the weather was excellent. I loved all the displays. I think the highlight was the DC-3, though. It was one that I particularly wanted to see. I did catch it yesterday, though, flying over the N7 and Naas.
    I had assumed that the DC-3 was going to putter around a couple of circuits like the other vintage stuff but they really threw it around the sky. Looked great with the sun glinting off it.

The organisers have gotten very good at deciding the 'set list' and making sure there are short gaps between acts.

I had considered not going this year for the first time, as the lineup seemed a bit dull/samey on paper compared to last year's Red Arrows/Frecce bookends but with the sun coming out I said feck it and jumped (squeezed) on a Dart and was very glad I did. Great afternoon. Highlights: F-18, Viggen, Fougas, DC-3 and Pitts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

dsaint1 wrote: »
    35985371991_e2c94099f1_h.jpg

35310402533_ffaddabd6a_h.jpg

35310389263_ad3b26c21b_h.jpg

[IMG35985341921_8ed10e567a_h.jpg

Amazing photos what lens did you use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There is always a 2nd aircraft in case the display aircraft has a fault that would prevent them displaying so they can use the spare one.

I seen both of the flying over Tallaght today while i was out cycling. Must have took off from Baldonnel,obviously heading back to their base. :)

I seen both of the flying over Tallaght today while i was out cycling. Must have took off from Baldonnel,obviously heading back to their base. :)

They operated from Dublin Airport not Baldonnell due runway length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The operated out of Dublin Airport due to the runway length at Baldonnel

Ok.Didn't know that and i just assumed it was baldonnel as they were still flying pretty low and in formation. Anyway it was a great sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Amazing photos what lens did you use ?

Thank you.....Nikon 200-500. Here are a few more from yesterday.

35295981174_686abff99c_h.jpg

35293726684_8062c72838_h.jpg

35963968132_b91300ee5d_h.jpg

35326394193_776e7a2281_h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Thanks for all the great images. I couldn't make Sunday and was sorry to miss the Spitfire and the A320 so its great to see them here. All the same, it was a terrific show on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Pinch Flat wrote: »

I honestly can't tell if he's excited or does he have some beef to pick with Spanish Air force

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »

What a waste of a video, could he not hold the camera steady for a once in a lifetime opportunity at Dublin.

Advertisement