Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Anyone got any info on what planes will be doing the flypast at the U2 gig tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Mech1 wrote: »
    Anyone got any info on what planes will be doing the flypast at the U2 gig tonight?

A couple of these would be appropriate ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_U-2

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Casement was a bit of a let down this year probably because there wasn't as much
    A great display by the pc9s the viggen did 2 circles and the dc9 did some low level fly bys while holding.

disappointed the mig and vampires went straight out runway 11 and straight to bray.
    I think ill make the trip there tomorrow looking forward to the F18'S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Mech1 wrote: »

I haven't a clue but what about the aircraft they are using for the tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Enjoyed the display at Foynes today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the display at Foynes today.

Me too. Very good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

5500 wrote: »
    Not much happening at casement other than a casa fly by its all quiet
    I was a few miles south visiting relations and we had the Casa flyby, DC3 circling for around an hour, the PC9s doing all sorts and the Viggen later. There was a bit more than I had expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Fougas Departing Casement now for U2 fly by.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Negative_G wrote: »
    Fougas Departing Casement now for U2 fly by.

I wonder will they be flanking the U2 757?

4 Fougas just overflew Rush, presumably on route to Croke Park?

Looks like they are in a hold pattern as they are coming back around towards me!

• Advertisement

I wonder will they be flanking the U2 757?

Would be a nice touch but I doubt it. Mixed formation low level over a densely populated area would incur a significant risk.

Not exactly something you'd want to do, ah-hoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

tricky D wrote: »
    I was a few miles south visiting relations and we had the Casa flyby, DC3 circling for around an hour, the PC9s doing all sorts and the Viggen later. There was a bit more than I had expected.

Yeah it kicked off a bit afterwards pc9s put on a nice display but the mig was on the runway the whole time so they might have cut it short. It was quiet in comparison to other years but maby a bit more action to be seen up there tomorrow

Would be a nice touch but I doubt it. Mixed formation low level over a densely populated area would incur a significant risk.

True, and I wouldn't imagine the 757 flight crew would be overly experienced in formation flying!

They are still circling!

Nice touch after being down in Bray today

True, and I wouldn't imagine the 757 flight crew would be overly experienced in formation flying!

No, probably not! You never know though, could be a ex-mil crew.

I don't think the aircraft owner/operator would see it as a useful use of their asset!

This is great!

Air show 2.0 of today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Have they done a flyby of crokepark yet?

5500 wrote: »
    Have they done a flyby of crokepark yet?

they are still circling around Rush/Skerries as I type.

So far they've done about 8/9 laps, testing their smoke a few times.

21:17 edit: sounds like they are leaving the area now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Mixed formation low level over a densely populated area would incur a significant risk.

Hold my beer!

The college football game got F18's and U2 get Fougas 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

4 jets just flew over my house in formation so I assume they are on route to see bono

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    The college football game got F18's and U2 get Fougas ðŸ˜

I just hope bono got his Visa card out to pay for it!!

I just hope bono got his Visa card out to pay for it!!

I'm sure they had to pay. Otherwise it will blow up next week as a controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

They're really making the most of this Irish Aviation Weekend thing.

"Find whatever is lying around, and send it to Croker"*

*Note: I actually quite like the Fouga, and want to see it in the skies above Ireland as much as possible, so I totally approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

They just flew low over Donabate heading south towards the city about 15 minutes ago. I hadn't a clue what was passing but managed to catch a glimpse out the window. Some sound from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I used to love hearing them flying out from baldonnel in the 90's. There was something special about them, especially the formation flying and all their various maneuvers. The air shows were better back then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Was hoping to get to the airshow tomorrow to beat or surrounding area. Really don't know the area well but I'm wondering is a quieter vantage point other than bray?

A friend suggested dalkey pier but I'm not sure if there will be much action there? We're coming rom the m7, have 2 little boys and really don't want to be stuck in traffic or have to manoeuvre through big crowds.

Any suggestions or guidenace would be really appreciated

Dalkey is too far out, and on the wrong side of the hill. Shankill, in the area of Shanganagh Park/Cemetery is a good bet. Close enough to Bray, and if you walk through the park to the coast side of the Dart line, you are really close to the beach and the planes will be right in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Surprised no one mentioned the Saab Viggen at Bray today. Much much closer to the Beach this year. The sound off the thing vibrated the air in your chest. Or am I remembering it wrong. Wasn't there lots of complaints that both the Viggen and Draken last year displayed too far out?

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Surprised no one mentioned the Saab Viggen at Bray today. Much much closer to the Beach this year. The sound off the thing vibrated the air in your chest. Or am I remembering it wrong. Wasn't there lots of complaints that both the Viggen and Draken last year displayed too far out?

I watched from home in Shankill today, and the noise of the Viggen was superb. It looked so much closer in too than it did last year.

I so wanted it to do a low level, high speed run, setting off every alarm in its path!

Advertisement