Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Anyone know what's the story with the f18 still hasn't left dub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

browner85 wrote: »

Running about 30 mins late.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

Does anyone know if, and at what time, the Patrouille are displaying today? Are they at BAL?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AlphaMull

Thought the F18 was the highlight at Foynes yesterday.
    https://flickr.com/photos/20635468@N02/sets/72157684324312470

Good show all round though. Well organised

browner85 wrote: »

Wasn't due to display till 16:53 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Just back from Bray, brilliant day with brilliant weather. Some thoughts on the display:

-F/A-18 was a phenomenal display, just what the Airshow needed. Amazing to hear the sound reverberating off the Wicklow Mountains. Hopefully the organisers can get something similar in future events.

-Viggen: Good to see it perform a little closer this year. Fantastically brutal sound from the engines.

-Aer Lingus A321 (?): Probably the highlight for me, some incredible low flying in such a large aircraft. Felt like it was within touching distance when it flew over the pier.

The other aircraft were well worth going along for, some good aerobatics from the Patrouille Tranchant and the Jordanian Falcons. The only downside was leaving the camera at home, so had to make do with phone camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I really like Patrouille Tranchant, when they come back to Baldonnel they always put up a bit of a show for the locals, Today was no exception.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They really couldn't have picked a better weekend for it. I'm delighted for all who organised & took part in this weekends festivities. They spend at least a year planning it all, and Ireland being Ireland, the weather will always have a huge part to play in proceedings, so delighted the weather did what was required for the weekend.

I went to Bray yesterday (my first air display despite being a mild AV geek), and it will definitely be an annual event to attend from now on.

I missed a few aircraft today and yesterday (having a 2 1/2 year old toddler doesn't help), but overall an excellent experience.

Huge well done to all involved, including Mother Nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

V_Moth wrote: »
    Just back from Bray, brilliant day with brilliant weather. Some thoughts on the display:

-F/A-18 was a phenomenal display, just what the Airshow needed. Amazing to hear the sound reverberating off the Wicklow Mountains. Hopefully the organisers can get something similar in future events.

-Viggen: Good to see it perform a little closer this year. Fantastically brutal sound from the engines.

-Aer Lingus A321 (?): Probably the highlight for me, some incredible low flying in such a large aircraft. Felt like it was within touching distance when it flew over the pier.

The other aircraft were well worth going along for, some good aerobatics from the Patrouille Tranchant and the Jordanian Falcons. The only downside was leaving the camera at home, so had to make do with phone camera.

I agree with our comments, but my downside was not having fully charged batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Did R116 get called away or was it just a small display today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

RTE news fail to show any of the (admittedly limited in total number compared to last year) fighter/trainer jets :rolleyes: Bit of a missed opportunity to maintain/increase interest in the event, as there are probably folks out there like me with a more casual interest who would take notice on seeing loud fast things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Any reason why they don't publicise the running order for the event? I know the times can change due to delays, but surely the order that the planes appear in is set in stone, or is it?

Can be difficult sometimes to hear the tannoy so you often don't know what you're looking at.

Great event as always. Even if the road closures are a complete pain in the ar$e!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Peckham wrote: »
    Any reason why they don't publicise the running order for the event? I know the times can change due to delays, but surely the order that the planes appear in is set in stone, or is it?

Can be difficult sometimes to hear the tannoy so you often don't know what you're looking at.

Great event as always. Even if the road closures are a complete pain in the ar$e!

They had the running order on their site albeit for some changes between Saturday and Sunday. They also want you to buy a programme on the ground which would surely had them.

What road closures were a pain in the hole? Anyone planning to get a car anywhere from the Vevay road down should jog on. The road closures seemed to work better this year than previous year and it makes for a way more enjoyable show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

As per usual, the airshow was brilliant, and the weather was excellent. I loved all the displays. I think the highlight was the DC-3, though. It was one that I particularly wanted to see. I did catch it yesterday, though, flying over the N7 and Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

They had the running order on their site albeit for some changes between Saturday and Sunday. They also want you to buy a programme on the ground which would surely had them.

I couldn't find one in the programme, which I thought was odd. Although, didn't read it in much detail.
    What road closures were a pain in the hole? Anyone planning to get a car anywhere from the Vevay road down should jog on. The road closures seemed to work better this year than previous year and it makes for a way more enjoyable show.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I'm speaking as a resident who lives 100 metres from the seafront. The two days of restrictions thus year were a major hassle, but a price worth paying for a superb event that the town should be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

35945567392_b0467681ee.jpgC.15-18 / 15-05 by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35306655623_b9b9d877c5.jpgC.15-18 / 15-05 by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35946334152_a6cf314a73.jpgEI-CPG by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

36073713236_23340f6bdc.jpgStar of the Show by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The Viggen was so much better this year than last. Seemed far closer and more entertaining flying. The crackling sounded like a space shuttle launching.

Really enjoyed the F18 getting to mach .95 (apparently). Incredible speed so close up and starter to see the vapour building up as it got close to bray head. Would like to see some of the jets displaying as high a speed as they are allowed more frequently.

35983807671_c314529b47.jpg18-Red / N104CJ by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

CardinalJ wrote: »
    The Viggen was so much better this year than last. Seemed far closer and more entertaining flying. The crackling sounded like a space shuttle launching.

Really enjoyed the F18 getting to mach .95 (apparently). Incredible speed so close up and starter to see the vapour building up as it got close to bray head. Would like to see some of the jets displaying as high a speed as they are allowed more frequently.

Anyone for a Eurofighter Typhoon? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It was incredible. The plane was already half way down the beach by the time the sound hit, such was the speed.

• Advertisement

35948765072_b5c1751ed1.jpgFast Pass by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35310016043_f780eb7d9e.jpgG-EWIZ by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

Interesting; would it have been even better if it had gone >1 (sonic boom, more of the vapour thing and all that)?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Mech1 wrote: »
    We dont have as good reception of Weston tower from this location, but Bray is crystal clear and more importantly I have a good view!

Thanks Mech 1 for the feed today, really added to the experience to hear the chat both directions, great work

35727937160_0fb0a9267e.jpg253 by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

35985371991_e2c94099f1_h.jpg

35310402533_ffaddabd6a_h.jpg

35310389263_ad3b26c21b_h.jpg

[IMG35985341921_8ed10e567a_h.jpg

Wow – Kenny2012 and dsaint1’s photos of the F-18 show what I missed with naked eye!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

greendom wrote: »
    It was incredible. The plane was already half way down the beach by the time the sound hit, such was the speed.
    Thats the joy of fast jets being unleashed over water. I adore that rumble tbat you almost feel rather than hear.

Definitely would agree with sentiments above. I thought Sunday was great.
    Viggen, A321, DC3, PBY, F18, Mig15. Great display from them.

My only gripe was tbat I had no data service on the beach so couldnt listen to the LiveATC freq setup by Mech1!!!!

As usual, the photos above are incredeble. Well done folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Great day out.

Hearing the Spitfire and seeing it appear through the mist was spine tingling. Otherwise highlights were the roar of the Viggen, watching Eddie Goggins hang off the propellor and fall backwards, and the noise and control of the F18.

Thanks to the organisers and also Mech for providing the Ops stream!

Advertisement