Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Just under 4 months to go for me now, met with our registrar to go through the ceremony last night, feels very real now! Finalising our invites this weekend and hope to get them out before Christmas. Wedding dress and rings due in the next 2 weeks. Still feel like Ive a million things to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Wellyd wrote: »
    Feeling the pressure at the moment from lots of people about dress shopping. I’ve been putting it off since September and to be honest I’d put it off til next September if I could. I really feel like absolute crap body wise at the moment and really can’t face going to a shop and nothing fitting me. I’m a really visual person so I’m not great at imaging what things look like!

I am the same, a visual person, no imagination at all! And Bridal shops will have dresses to fit all sizes. If the assistant is worth their salt they will do everything she can to make you feel beautiful in your dress. If you plan on getting a dress off the rack, wait for as long as you like to look for your dress (if your planning on working on your bod). Tho if your having it made, it's probably be best to start looking...

From my end, we have decided on our invitations. Our wedding is not until Augist so I feel like maybe I'm rushing things a little bit but I want to have as much sorted as early as I can to try avoid any unnecesary stress...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your help on finding a hairdresser for the wedding morning ( Dublin or Kildare).

I tried a few ( Joanne Kelly, Ashling Hamill, Sian Sharkey), but they seem to be booked already.

I sent a few other requests, but haven't received any replies yet and I'm getting a bit stressed.

The make up artist recommended someone, but I'm not quite sure.

I was looking now at Robert Chambers, they seem to be doing bridal hair as well, but can't find any pictures.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Afraid I can't help with the hairdresser, my makeup artist did the hair as well.

Wellyd I put off setting the wedding date for nearly a year as I was dreading the dress shopping that badly, was in the horrors over it. In the end I had to get on with it and bought a dress off the rack 3 months before the wedding. I didn't lose that much weight (I needed to) but all was fine on the day and the dress was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

missmatty wrote: »
    Afraid I can't help with the hairdresser, my makeup artist did the hair as well.

Wellyd I put off setting the wedding date for nearly a year as I was dreading the dress shopping that badly, was in the horrors over it. In the end I had to get on with it and bought a dress off the rack 3 months before the wedding. I didn't lose that much weight (I needed to) but all was fine on the day and the dress was grand.

I’ve made an appointment to go drsss shopping on Saturday. I’m dreading it but only bringing 3 people with me. I’m not even telling anyone else just want to go and see what happens. The lady from the shop was very nice on the phone and has told me that they stock a variety of sizes so they might have something that fits. On a positive note I really gave it my all at the gym this week and I’m down 3lbs so I’m hopeful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

So, we got married on Friday and I thought I'd share some thoughts/advice on a couple of things for brides and grooms in the middle of organising their big day.

1) have the day YOU BOTH WANT, not what mammy or daddy wants. Don't invite every tom, dick or Harry just for them, unless of course you want to. You will get a lot of heat and family politics will raise its ugly head, but ignore it. We had 80 on the day, we had to be ruthless with the guest list and didn't even invite all our uncles and aunts to the full day. But we had our nearest and dearest with us on the day and it was so so worth it.

2) if your on the fence of whether to have a videographer on the day or not then take the hit for the cost. I remember lots of the day, but there's also a lot that is a bit fuzzy for me and there's also an awful lot I know I didn't get to see. The only tiny regret I have is that we didn't get the video up till the first dance. Our speeches were way way better than I had expected and it would have been nice to capture them.

3) if you have any uneasiness about something with the hotel (in our case the banqueting manager) flag it as soon as possible. I regret not requesting a different manager for the day.

4) we weren't going to have a DJ after the band because it was such a small wedding and we didn't think it would be worth it, but I'm so happy we did now. Our DJ was from the band and this can be hit or miss, but our lad had the floor full, even when the crowds started to head off.

Scarepanda I hope you had a great day, thanks for the update! I agree with the videographer, I wish now we'd gotten one. I didn't realise how much I would miss on the day. I had to get my brother to email me his speech as I knew it was great but I couldn't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

Hi,

I am just wondering two things. How much is reasonable to give the priest? Also, when do you invite him to the dinner? The day of or well in advanced? Not getting married for a while yet but trying to be sure of budget!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Do you have to invite the priest to the dinner ? We are having 20 immediate family members to the meal and I don't know if I'd like someone I hardly know to share that moment with us.

Said yes to the dress today!

Literally feel a weight lifted off my shoulders. I went to B Couture in Arklow and I couldn’t recommend them highly enough. Both Bernie and Lisa went out of their way to make me feel more comfortable. One of the dresses they suggested I try on looked a bit iffy on the hanger but as soon as I put it on I knew it was it! This whole getting married thing has definitely gotten more real today!

• Advertisement

Wellyd wrote: »
    Said yes to the dress today!

Literally feel a weight lifted off my shoulders.This whole getting married thing has definitely gotten more real today!

Ah that's great! I personally didn't enjoy dress shopping either and was so glad I found something in the first shop.

They rang me yesterday and told me my dress is in, 9 months after picking it. I ended up ordering it in with the waist slightly smaller than I am (as per the seamstress) as the next size up would've been way too big on the top and hips. Now I'm having visions of it not closing at all and am seriously stressed, even though I don't think I've changed size. Get me to Tuesday so I can hopefully stop worrying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Midnight Sundance I guess traditionally the priest would be invited to the meal afterwards and would say Grace. I think if your having an intimate celebration after the wedding is skip inviting the priest.

Wellyd it's great to hear you've gotten your dress sorted out. Its such a relief. Well done you.

we dont know the priest as we arent getting married in either of our own parishes. Im not hugely keen on having him there as he wont know anyone. I feel i should invite him as he is nice man and hasnt made us jump through hoops to get married in his church unlike other places!!!!

wellyd i have also just confirmed my dress. it was all getting stressful with peoples opinions on what i should go for etc. glad to have it picked. its more expensive than i had budgeted for but i was happy pay a bit more for something i really love and and have it off my list!

The choice for bridal shoes is really poor, not sure if this isn't the right time of the year, but there isn't much out there.

I had a look in Debenhams, Cinders, Arnotts, House of Fraser, most online shops, but all I can find is extremely glittery shoes.

I found some Bella Belle shoes but they cost €360 and can't see myself paying that much.

I thought getting the shoes would be the easy part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Touchee wrote: »
    The choice for bridal shoes is really poor, not sure if this isn't the right time of the year, but there isn't much out there.

I had a look in Debenhams, Cinders, Arnotts, House of Fraser, most online shops, but all I can find is extremely glittery shoes.

I found some Bella Belle shoes but they cost €360 and can't see myself paying that much.

I thought getting the shoes would be the easy part.

Look into rainbow club, they have lots of white and ivory shoes that you can then dye after the wedding to keep on wearing! !

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I’m trying to find a nice pair of flats. I was looking on Shoes of Prey, where you can actually design your own shoe. I can’t find what I’m looking for so I think I’ll be going with that tbh

Shoes of Prey is a great idea, but I just have my mind set on mesh shoes, for some strange reason.

I will probably end of up paying for the ones I've seen already, but I'll keep looking till February in the hope that something cheaper will come up.

I assume the new collections may come out in January.

Shoes of Prey is a great idea, but I just have my mind set on mesh shoes, for some strange reason.

I will probably end of up paying for the ones I've seen already, but I'll keep looking till February in the hope that something cheaper will come up.

I assume the new collections may come out in January.

It’s so difficult when you can’t find what you’re looking for isn’t it?

Yeah, I've been having dreams about bridal shoes the past few nights :)

I've seen a couple of cute flats on Betsey Johnson (blue collection - I think)

Yeah, I've been having dreams about bridal shoes the past few nights :)

I've seen a couple of cute flats on Betsey Johnson (blue collection - I think)

Oh I seen a pair I love! Thank you!!!

• Advertisement

I have some people I want to invite who live in America. Wedding is November 2018. When should i be letting them know the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

cnlbel wrote: »
    I have some people I want to invite who live in America. Wedding is November 2018. When should i be letting them know the date?

I would inform them ASAP, it doesn't need to be a formal Save the Date, just a heads up.
    They'll appreciate all the warning you can give them!

How's everyone getting on with the planning? 11 weeks to go on Friday for me, feel like I've a million things still to do! Im in the middle of emailing some suppliers to try meet up in Jan and have booked our tasting for the end of Jan too. Going through our ceremony tonight (humanist) and going to pick out the music for that. That'll be two big things off the list anyway!

I’m semi panicking because I’m getting married in 6 months and the hairdresser I got has decided she’s not doing my wedding anymore, which is grand and she did give me 6 months notice, but I’m finding it very hard to find someone who’s available for that date now.
    Everyone I’m contacting is already booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Hopefully I'll be joining the 2018 ranks! Just waiting on the church to confirm a November date for me. Have made my first purchase on Etsy 😂

I've been googling for images of late Autumn weddings, I know it'll be cold and dark but hopefully we can organise the day to maximise nature. Am I naive in thinking ten months is do-able?! (I don't know if I actually want an answer to that, ha!!)

It should be grand, we did everything from start to finish in about 8 months last year. Don't put off getting the dress if you don't already have it though, I got mine three months beforehand but was very lucky and shouldn't have let it go so late!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Thanks for the advice, will try to get on that this month so!

Yes because the alterations alone can go on for two months. There should be loads of sample sales and 'trunk' sales in January and February so it's not a bad time of year to be looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Evening all,

Anyone have any recommendations for where we could get drapes? We have had a couple of quotes and to say we were shocked would be an understatement, like 2k.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Got an email yesterday morning to say there was a new banqueting and events manager at our wedding venue. I’m a bit devastated because I had really gotten on so well with the other one. He was just so good at his job and so easy to work with. Obviously the new manager will be fine but it really peeved me off on New Year’s Day!

Advertisement