Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Mine is coming in at €290, hips needed pulling in, Bra to be sown into the dress, a few inches to be taken up and a clip for the train and I think that's it. There's a few layers in the skirt and lots of individual pieces of lace on the dress, so while the work is basic enough, the lace adds a lot of fiddly work.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Also, how long in advance did you leave the dress into seamstress for alterations? Obv I'm sure each one will have a different timeline by just looking for a guide. Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

MiliMe wrote: »
    Also, how long in advance did you leave the dress into seamstress for alterations? Obv I'm sure each one will have a different timeline by just looking for a guide. Thanks!!!

Not before 8 weeks usually. Ideally 6 weeks I was told with 3 fittings, initial fitting, second fitting for minor adjustments and third just encase!

I was expecting 6 weeks. I rang around 10 weeks just to be booked in and have one less thing i had to remember. The lady brought me in that Saturday to see what needed to be done. She brought me back 4 weeks later for another fitting before she started the alterations properly. I think I'll have 4/5 fittings in total. Final fitting and collection will be 6 days before the wedding.

She was saying at the first fitting that she had a dress for next spring in at that stage. She was pottering about with it changing a few things that could be done way in advance. So it all depends on who's doing the alterations and what needs to be done to the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

MiliMe wrote:

First alteration is next week, wedding is in December. Not sure how many fittings I'll have and price depends on what I need done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

It just got real! This date next year I’ll be married! We’re hoping to go get wedding rings tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for humanist? Looking at December 2018 and the couple i contacted are booked! Am I leaving it late to get sorted? I feel like it's too early!

We are having Phillip Byers. He is based in Dublin but does travel. He is on humanism.ie. Though he was the third person I contacted in May for our wedding in August next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

MiliMe wrote: »
    We are having Phillip Byers. He is based in Dublin but does travel. He is on humanism.ie. Though he was the third person I contacted in May for our wedding in August next year.

I got addresses from humanism.ie and sent out another 4 emails there. We are in Munster so hopefully will get one closer to home :-) I've heard wonderful things about one humanist in particular but they are completely booked up :-(

Band is next....then what else did/is everyone doing? How goes the prep?

The guy we are having did my friends ceremony during the year, he was good but the sound in her venue was not the best so I didn't really understand what he was saying for a lot of the ceremony, will be making sure that this doesn't happen at ours. But I love the idea of personalising your ceremony how you want it.

Currently we have the following sorted;
    Venue
    Humanist
    Band
    Photographer
    Videographer
    Cake
    My Dress & Shoes
    His & Bestman Suits
    Wedding Invitations (hopefully)
    Hair Booked
    Make Up Booked

Currently trying to find a Photobooth and need to go meet with the florist.

Wedding is not until Aug so now I feel like I have a lot of time to think about wedding stuff but not a lot left really to do until closer the date.

Or am I missing something....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

After dress hunting since June and taking two trips to London, I FINALLY said yes to the dress yesterday! Wahoooo!!

It was strange though, because I had imagined myself in a completely different dress and had pretty much planned my whole wedding around this specific type of gown. The one I've gone for is totally different and I have to look at everything else now to make sure it fits in with the vibe! Might have to get new bridesmaid dresses because the ones I have might be a bit too boho now. Bleugh.

I found choosing a dress the hardest part of the planning so far....now onto the invite design and organising the Day 2 catering. 7 months to go today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Hi,
    Just wondering do most people buy suits for the groomsmen from what I gather this seems to be normal, so that's what I was thinking of doing.

Got engaged a month ago and so far have
    Church and priest booked for next October
    Venue sorted for reception.
    Band
    Photographer
    Videographer
    Dress & veil & hairclip and hoop.
    Rings
    Invite template & guestlist complete.
    Cake topper
    Think it helps that we live abroad so we can't go around looking at venues listening to bands etc. She bought the first dress she tried on as had seen it online and like it (she tried a few others on but stuck with original). Just read about dress alterations they look expensive, don't think much needs to be done with hers thankfully she was told about £70. The dress was £630 with the hoop so think good value as it was last seasons :-D

All going well so far :-)

Hi, Just wondering do most people buy suits for the groomsmen from what I gather this seems to be normal, so that's what I was thinking of doing.

We're renting ours. None of the lads need new suits.. We were gona buy his one but he only got a new navy suit a while ago so doesn't need another one.

Hi,
    Just wondering do most people buy suits for the groomsmen from what I gather this seems to be normal, so that's what I was thinking of

Wow, you be sorted a lot in a month!!!

We are, himself wanted a new suit for the occasion so we bought the best man the same suit. It will work as his gift for being bestman so no new to worry about that closer the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

We're planning to buy the suits as well. Seems like a better use of budget than bridesmaids dresses to be honest as the lads will get a lot of wear out of them again hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

mcgiggles wrote: »
    We're renting ours. None of the lads need new suits.. We were gona buy his one but he only got a new navy suit a while ago so doesn't need another one.

You could say this for nearly every single item you get for the wedding.
    Every groom should get to wear a nice new well fitted suit on their wedding, even if he doesnt need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

mcgiggles wrote: »

You could say this for nearly every single item you get for the wedding.
    Every groom should get to wear a nice new well fitted suit on their wedding, even if he doesnt need it!

My fiancé wants to rent his too. He doesn’t care about renting as in his words ‘I’m only going to wear it for one day’.
    Haha

My fiancé wants to rent his too. He doesn’t care about renting as in his words ‘I’m only going to wear it for one day’.
    Haha

I went into a shop over the weekend to look at renting, and they were quoting 170 per suit. Seems extortionate. Going to try a few other shops this weekend I think. If they all cost around that, then I'm definitely better off buying the suits

We had originally intended on buying my OHs suit, and renting the lads ones. But the cost of hiring Vs renting wasn't that much more. So we decided to buy all the suits and they would then be our presents to the lads.

The place where my other half is getting his suits are €150 to rent the 3-piece or €500 to buy. €900 vs €3,000 to him is a no brainer. Personally I don’t really mind either way but this is something he decided to take charge of himself :D

• Advertisement

The place where my other half is getting his suits are €150 to rent the 3-piece or €500 to buy. €900 vs €3,000 to him is a no brainer. Personally I don’t really mind either way but this is something he decided to take charge of himself

Ya, it's definitely worth renting in that situation so. All in 5 3-piece suits, shirts, ties, pocket squares and cuff links are costing us €1600

scarepanda wrote: »
    The place where my other half is getting his suits are €150 to rent the 3-piece or €500 to buy. €900 vs €3,000 to him is a no brainer. Personally I don’t really mind either way but this is something he decided to take charge of himself

Ya, it's definitely worth renting in that situation so. All in 5 3-piece suits, shirts, ties, pocket squares and cuff links are costing us €1600

That’s such a good deal!

Sorry, there's shoes in that as well actually and an extra tie for my oh as well. The total price came in less than what we had budgeted for rental, so we thought it was mad to throw away money for rentals when everything came in under budget to purchase.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Sorry, there's shoes in that as well actually and an extra tie for my oh as well. The total price came in less than what we had budgeted for rental, so we thought it was mad to throw away money for rentals when everything came in under budget to purchase.

Yeah, for that price you’d be absolutely mad not to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Hi,
    Just wondering do most people buy suits for the groomsmen from what I gather this seems to be normal, so that's what I was thinking of doing.

Got engaged a month ago and so far have
    Church and priest booked for next October
    Venue sorted for reception.
    Band
    Photographer
    Videographer
    Dress & veil & hairclip and hoop.
    Rings
    Invite template & guestlist complete.
    Cake topper
    Think it helps that we live abroad so we can't go around looking at venues listening to bands etc. She bought the first dress she tried on as had seen it online and like it (she tried a few others on but stuck with original). Just read about dress alterations they look expensive, don't think much needs to be done with hers thankfully she was told about £70. The dress was £630 with the hoop so think good value as it was last seasons :-D

All going well so far :-)

I was thinking of renting the grooms men’s suits and buying my own. There will be 6 suits altogether that includes the fathers. I’d be mad to buy 6 suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I was thinking of renting the grooms men’s suits and buying my own. There will be 6 suits altogether that includes the fathers. I’d be mad to buy 6 suits.

It also depends on what prices are.... not going looking for suits till February/March.. need to lose a few lbs first 😜

My fiancé wants to rent his too. He doesn’t care about renting as in his words ‘I’m only going to wear it for one day’. Haha

Same as my fella said. He got a brand new expensive suit a few months ago, he said himself he just wouldnt get the wear out of it. But he has his eye on a nice pair of shoes that are more than he would usually pay and I've told him to treat himself to those seeing as he's not getting a suit to keep. We're renting 7 3 piece suits for 700. Really gorgeous, good quality ones. No brainer for us. To buy would be twice the price minimum!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Seeing a bit of talk of suit rentals etc just wondering if people can recommend actual places for the rentals. I am going to buy my own and rent the others. Anyone done anything similar they can advise on?

battser wrote: »
    Seeing a bit of talk of suit rentals etc just wondering if people can recommend actual places for the rentals. I am going to buy my own and rent the others. Anyone done anything similar they can advise on?

Where are you based?
    If it's Dublin, one place I've heard good things about is Aston Formal Wear. I've rented tux's there before, and they've been great, and a friend of mine got his wedding suits there, and they looked class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Feeling the pressure at the moment from lots of people about dress shopping. I’ve been putting it off since September and to be honest I’d put it off til next September if I could. I really feel like absolute crap body wise at the moment and really can’t face going to a shop and nothing fitting me. I’m a really visual person so I’m not great at imaging what things look like!

Advertisement