Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Getting married in May next year. Looking at honeymoon now and going to do Carribbean cruise for 1 week and a week in some resort after to veg out. Looking at Cancun at the moment or Dominican republic could be another option. Can anyone recommend one?

Also the two travel agents we dealing with have differing reports on what cruise company go with. One swears by royal Carribbean whilst other says celebrity equinox is best with younger guests as royal Carribbean will have lot more families on board.

mjp wrote: »
    Getting married in May next year. Looking at honeymoon now and going to do Carribbean cruise for 1 week and a week in some resort after to veg out. Looking at Cancun at the moment or Dominican republic could be another option. Can anyone recommend one?

Also the two travel agents we dealing with have differing reports on what cruise company go with. One swears by royal Carribbean whilst other says celebrity equinox is best with younger guests as royal Carribbean will have lot more families on board.

I can only advise on Royal Caribbean. I have been on two separate cruises with them, and one with another company that you are not considering.
    The difference was huge. I found RC to be fantastic in all aspects. The crowds on their ships vary hugely. You have lots of families with young children, older couples, and young couples. The ships that I have been on had between 2,000 and 4,000 passengers, so you're always going to get a nice mix.
    I'd highly recommend them personally, but it propbably depends on what you are looking for.
    If you want one massive party boat, they might not be the best due to the mixed crowd. There are plenty of places to drink and enjoy yourself on the boat, but I dont remember interacting with other groups in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

mjp wrote:

I've never heard of the second crowd but I've heard SO many good reports about Royal Caribbean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I went on a week's Western Caribbean cruise during my honeymoon in May with RC and there was a really nice mix of people on the ship. Everything from families to young couples and old couples or big groups of family/friends on cruise for a significant birthday or anniversary. Would highly recommend, the food was fantastic and there were some lovely bars and restaurants, lots to do. We went on the Allure of the Seas.

My best friend did a Mediterranean cruise for her honeymoon with Celebrity and she loved it, and she's quite picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cerise5

Hi all,
    Not sure if I am in for a 2018 wedding.
    My bf told me to organise all for a wedding in 2018. We are together for ages. So does that mean we are engaged?
    Also It seems a bit short to organise anything now.

• Advertisement

Cerise5 wrote:
    Hi all, Not sure if I am in for a 2018 wedding. My bf told me to organise all for a wedding in 2018. We are together for ages. So does that mean we are engaged? Also It seems a bit short to organise anything now.

He must be planning to ask? You can book a wedding with very little notice, just as long as you aren't too fussy about who you want or where you want :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

we got engaged in September and we are getting married in November 2018. You can get so much done if you put your mind to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

We got engaged in July are getting married next August.

You should probably clarify the engagement bit with him though :) lol

Thanks for your reply mcgiggles. Not sure if he will ask anything in fact... :-) He could tell me this again in 3 years if I don't take the chance.I would have prefered a nice wedding. Are you planning your wedding since a long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

Just booked the venue for December 22nd 2018!! I always wanted a Christmas wedding :-) hopefully now it will be magical!

Soooo what's next? Humanist/band/DJ/Flowers/Hair/Makeup/Invites!!?? I feel overwhelmed already hahaha

We are both the last to get married in our families and our friends so we were just going to have a small one but numbers ended up surpassing a few venues max numbers so now doing a hotel wedding!

People were soooo quick to give opinions though so glad we just did what we wanted regarding the venue! It maybe a long year yet with planning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Cerise5 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply mcgiggles. Not sure if he will ask anything in fact... :-) He could tell me this again in 3 years if I don't take the chance.I would have prefered a nice wedding. Are you planning your wedding since a long time?

You don't need a proposal but you do need to know if you're engaged. You really need to talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Not too short of time at all. Our engagement will be just shy of 7 months, getting married next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Wedding planning is causing me too much stress at the moment! Trying to plan a wedding when we’re on different continents is not easy! But on a positive note we’re 6 months engaged today and I travel to see him in 10 days!

WWMRD wrote:
    Just booked the venue for December 22nd 2018!! I always wanted a Christmas wedding :-) hopefully now it will be magical!

Eek Christmas is a WONDERFUL time for a wedding! We love Christmas!
    Band/ photog/ and whoever is doing the ceremony would be top of the priority list after that :-)
    Cerise5 wrote:
    Are you planning your wedding since a long time?

I'm "technically" not a 2018 bride, just here for ideas/ being nosey! I'm December 30th 2017 (just over 10weeks!!).. so practically 2018 haha!
    Been planning 2 years but only because we wanted a christmas wedding and we couldn't afford to do it a year ago!

WWMRD wrote:
    People were soooo quick to give opinions though so glad we just did what we wanted regarding the venue! It maybe a long year yet with planning!

Good tip if there's something you don't want to talk about (or hear opinions on! People have LOADS of them!) is to tell them " oh we've that already sorted but thanks anyways!" Even if you don't have it sorted! It stops follow up questions/ opinions hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Wellyd wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a videographer? We’re getting married in Wexford. My fiancé has sent me an excel spreadsheet of people he’s googled but I’m looking for any personal recommendations!

Just in here for a nosy (I've 5 weeks to go eek!) and we're using Little Bear. I LOVE his style, really suits what we're going for, and he has been so unbelievably professional and on the ball so far. Really, really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Just in here for a nosy (I've 5 weeks to go eek!) and we're using Little Bear. I LOVE his style, really suits what we're going for, and he has been so unbelievably professional and on the ball so far. Really, really impressed.

Ah, we're going with Little Bear too, on the more expensive end to others, but his style is amazing. I actually can't wait, August next year can't some soon enough.

Went out to see our venue again on Sunday and the place looks great, function room has gotten a revamp and looks amazing. They told us all the accommodation is also being upgraded in early 2018 so will be ready for our wedding :):)

scarepanda wrote: »
    Not too short of time at all. Our engagement will be just shy of 7 months, getting married next month!

Thanks for your reply, this is great! It's soon now :-) I see so many couple planning for so many years before!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks for your reply, this is great! It's soon now :-) I see so many couple planning for so many years before!

And TBH they get just as flustered in the run up, no matter how much longer they've had.

Trust me. ;)

No problem! To be honest after you have the venue, band, photographer and person to marry you (particularly if your having a non religious wedding) there's not a whole lot to do till the run up, even with a 7 month engagement. I got my dress off the rail 5 months ago so you dont need to order months in advance, its just that most people do because most shops only have samples to try on. After that everything else is optional and depending on money.

Couples plan so far in advance because they need to save/want a popular day in the middle of summer/want a particular venue/band/photographer etc etc. So far we haven't had to sacrifice on anything or go to plan B with anything. It helps that were getting married in November and its an off peak month, but other than the date and having a non religious wedding we hadn't out hearts set on anything in particular and we haven't had to sacrifice anything or go to plan B. The person to marry us was probably the hardest to organise at such short notice.

• Advertisement

I'd have LOVED to plan it and have it all in a shorter period of time! It was time and money for us, we just took over the farm the first year we were engaged so money wasn't there for a wedding, and we REALLY wanted Christmas so that meant waiting another year! :-) but it worked out well for us cos it gave us that extra year to save :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

We will be engaged 2 years when we get married but only started planning 11 months before cause we'd bought a house and were basically broke ha! Four and a half months to go for us, sorted out suits, ordered wedding rings this week and in the process of picking out invites. It's been surprisingly stress free but I'm sure that will change when it comes to stuff like the seating plan !!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Only started looking for bands a few weeks ago (wedding is next September)... needless to say all our first choice bands were booked up for our date!! :rolleyes:

Both of us are being pretty lazy about it all so far, mostly only reacting to reminders from the families. Also, we got SO bored watching wedding band videos.. that Blurred Lines song is banned from our wedding!! :D

Butterface wrote:
    Only started looking for bands a few weeks ago (wedding is next September)... needless to say all our first choice bands were booked up for our date!!

We have Late Night Radio booked, they are brilliant! We're lazy too! We saw them at 2 weddings - both weddings dancefloor was full all night so we said feck it there's too many to choose from so just booked them! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Getting married 6th Oct 2018. Have the church and venue booked, that's about it. Need to get a move on.

I hear ye on the band, we're totally bamboozled by it. All our first choices are gone and the rest are meh 😉 Going to see another few next week and then we're making a decision and no going back!!
    I hear you on the Blurred lines song, it's dreadful. Also never want to hear Shut up and dance with me or Is this the way to Amarillo again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

statina wrote: »
    Getting married 6th Oct 2018. Have the church and venue booked, that's about it. Need to get a move on.

I hear ye on the band, we're totally bamboozled by it. All our first choices are gone and the rest are meh 😉 Going to see another few next week and then we're making a decision and no going back!!
    I hear you on the Blurred lines song, it's dreadful. Also never want to hear Shut up and dance with me or Is this the way to Amarillo again!!

I found choosing the band the worst and most stressful part of the whole lot so far.
    On you tube they all began to sound the same.
    In my opinion you really have to go see a band. We really liked a band from their promo video & thought this is the one - went to see them & thought they were awful.
    Best of luck with the Band search

Bannergal wrote: »
    In my opinion you really have to go see a band. We really liked a band from their promo video & thought this is the one - went to see them & thought they were awful.

We were the same! Had a deposit paid on a band that we had heard great things about, their promo videos were really good as well. We went to see their show case (thankfully they were having one coz it was the middle of summer) thinking it was just a box ticking exercise.... Nope! They were awful on the night. The music was great, but the singer was useless. Needless to say we went home and sent out emails to other bands. As far as I remember it was less than 6 months to the wedding at the time, so I was in an awful panic! Most of the bands we emailed were already booked, but one big band recommended a specific band to us who we saw a few days later. We decided to book them as we walked into the hotel coz they were so much better and when we got in the floor was full which is always a good sign.

I'll report back in a months time as to what they were like for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

We have most things sorted from our end, just struggling with the cars. Either booked up or finding bad reviews. Anyone got any ideas for the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Hi all. Just wondering what kind of price are people budgeting for dreas Alterations?? Absolutely oblivious as to what I should be spending. I realise that it will depending on the amount of alterations that I need by i don't think that there be much - taken up an inch, add a panel to the corset back and that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Less than 300e for mine, most of the work was basic enough, just several layers of lace to take up

Advertisement