Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Currently in design for our invites, I can't WAIT to get them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

our RSVP are due back on Friday....
    We got our invites from Laurinda in preciousbuttons.ie
    She was amazing to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SheepGoHere

We gotta get our invite situation together too. How early are people sending out invites and how late are you asking for RSVPs to be back?

Urgh, I got to resend invites soon.
    All official invites went out in January (7 weeks before the originally planned wedding). Everyone is getting emails and texts this time

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SheepGoHere

Anyone having trouble with family/friend drama or am I on my ownio here?

Not necessarily wedding-induced but certainly wedding-compounded.

It's threatening to take the fun out of the day/planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

As a 2017 bride all I can say is yes, yes and yes. Plenty of it unfortunately!! My advice is to stick to your guns and put it to the back of your mind after that. Enjoy this amazing time as you'll never have it again :) Don't let negativity bring you down at such an important time in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

Yes! Finding exactly as you say, certain things seem to be compounded by the whole wedding thing. It’s very hard sometimes to take a step back!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭mjp

Wedding in 2 and half weeks time. Confirming last few RSVPs and need to do table plan then which everyone says is a nightmare. Has anyone any excel templates for this they could share. Hotel giving us option of having a few 8 10 and 12 person tables if we wish. Will try keep it 10 or below I think.

Also need to get bridesmaids and groomsmen number plates for cars. Thought I would have picked these up 2nd half from other couples handy enough but can't see any of them. Would wedding car hire usually provide these along with hire car or do you have to buy them yourself. Cheapest I could see online was 25euro a set.
    Also does wedding car man usually provide the ribbons to tie on other cars also or do you usually have to buy ribbon from florist and make them yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

mjp wrote: »
    Hotel giving us option of having a few 8 10 and 12 person tables if we wish. Will try keep it 10 or below I think.

Also need to get bridesmaids and groomsmen number plates for cars. Thought I would have picked these up 2nd half from other couples handy enough but can't see any of them. Would wedding car hire usually provide these along with hire car or do you have to buy them yourself. Cheapest I could see online was 25euro a set.
    Also does wedding car man usually provide the ribbons to tie on other cars also or do you usually have to buy ribbon from florist and make them yourselves.

Number plates, try a few local motor factor places. I had to get plates for my car lately and found local places to be cheaper than online. Think they were 20€.

On the ribbons, maybe ask the car company if they will provide them? Or else the florist should be able to give you ribbon. One piece of advise from my sister's wedding....have a designated ribbon person morning of!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Wedding in 2 and half weeks time. Confirming last few RSVPs and need to do table plan then which everyone says is a nightmare. Has anyone any excel templates for this they could share. Hotel giving us option of having a few 8 10 and 12 person tables if we wish. Will try keep it 10 or below I think.

It took us 40 minutes to do ours. Keep it simple. We just used a sheet and wrote table 1, table 2 etc etc. Then group people together - my family, his family, my aunts and uncles, his, my work and his work. 6 tables done already there :)

• Advertisement

YES! :eek: Thank god it's not just me.

Getting married in August. I have people telling me to stop worrying about other people and do what it is that WE want on the day. The same people are then trying to tell me what to do with my day/critical of the plans WE want.

Give me strength.

The more it goes on the more I wish we considered eloping more seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ec18

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    YES! :eek: Thank god it's not just me.

Getting married in August. I have people telling me to stop worrying about other people and do what it is that WE want on the day. The same people are then trying to tell me what to do with my day/critical of the plans WE want.

Give me strength.

The more it goes on the more I wish we considered eloping more seriously!

sames

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

SarahS2013 wrote:

I got married at end of last year, and I wouldn't be a confrontational person at all, but the year coming up to my wedding I quickly learned to say a very firm NO to people.. My mum was the worst offender I have to say! If people are annoying your ceann giving opinions about certain things just tell them you've that sorted already but thanks for the option..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 susb

Hi gang,

Sorry I'm new to this but having an absolute nightmare at the moment with our wedding venue.

We booked it for October back in December and the venue itself is beautiful, as well as the area having a special place for my family.
    Anyway, all seemed great at the get go and we put our initial deposit down.

Things went a bit funny when we got our contracts in the post - there were a few things on it that I wasn't happy about so I called them and they said that it's all fine, the contracts need to be updated, etc. Essentially it was taking no liability if things went wrong, they could cancel at any notice etc. Needless to say, we didn't sign it.

Then when we asked about when we could have our tasting, they told us that they didn't do tastings but they'll send us photos so we can choose the menu from that...
    I get that not everywhere does tastings but our venue isn't cheap and we don't know anyone who has had a wedding there... How can you base food for 180 guests off a photo. Anyway, they had an open weekend a few weeks ago and we asked if we could join for a dinner (as they aren't a restaurant, they only have open weekends when there is no wedding on).
    We went with our families and the setting truly is stunning. However, the meal itself was just not good.

From when we arrived, no one took our wine orders and there were no servers around checking things were ok. We had to wait until our starter was brought out before we could ask a server for wine and then they brought them out and just plonked the bottles on the table. They also didn't give us the cutlery for the starter so we had to ask for that as well.
    The staff were generally very young and inexperienced, but the biggest problem for me was that there was no one watching and overseeing this.
    The food itself was really disappointing too - I ordered fillet of beef (which we wanted to have for the wedding) and it was an incredible fatty piece of steak that had been quickly seared on a pan so that it looked cooked but was rare on the inside and I'd ordered it medium. I barely ate it and no one questioned it when they took it away. The only person who was happy with their main was my dad who had lamb which he said was 'nice'.
    After being to so many weddings, food is really important to us, and we knew it was a bit of a gamble going somewhere we didn't have a direct review of but we didn't think it would be so lacklustre. We have since heard really mixed reviews of the food there from friends of friends who said not to order the duck, the fillet of beef, etc.

The final nail in the coffin was yesterday when I sent out an email to my friends with the cottage accommodation onsite (that sleeps about 70 people, we also have 30 rooms in the venue itself). It was previously owned separate to our venue and I had been in contact with them in January to hold them for our wedding party. We are having a day 2 in the venue as well so most will be staying for at least 2 nights. Anyway, she was told the accommodation was full. I obviously freaked out and called them, to be told the accommodation has been recently taken over by our wedding venue. They informed me that they had taken a booking from a bride the week after mine and they have block booked it for the full week as they are coming from America. Apparently in the changeover, bookings and provisional bookings were lost but you would THINK they would call the couples who have their weddings on and give priority to them on their dates! She then told me to call a hotel about a 10 min drive away to see if they can host our guests.
    90% of the people attending this are travelling over 2 hours and a huge reason we booked this venue is so everyone can be on site. They said they'll 'ask' the american bride if she will give up the booking for 2 of the nights but that this is obviously not guaranteed. The only reason they even said this was because I freaked out and said I will pull it unless we get suitable accom.

It's been the most incredibly stressful and upsetting thing and I genuinely feel like I no longer want to have my wedding there but it's 6 month to the big day.
    We have paid 1500e as deposit and that's it...

Can anyone offer any advice? Am I completely overreacting??

Yikes, they sound like a unorganised nightmare to me. Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear.

Have you considered changing venues? You might get a cancellation somewhere?

That's what I'm thinking.. The only thing is regardless of all this, my parents are so keen on having it there they keep pushing it...

I feel like unless the accommodation is sorted, I will pull it. It's just so risky at this stage with only 6 months to go, I don't know what venues will have the availability for it... People are flying home for it as well...

Literally just too stressed out by it to even think

Don't let your Mom and Dad dictate your day. By the sounds of things you're only going to end up on edge on the day itself instead of enjoying yourself.

Sure my Mother gave me grief about the hen!

I'm already very much on the edge about it so definitely.

Will just get on the lookout for other venues

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

So sorry to hear about this susb, it sounds really stressful. I agree that it seems like you won't be able to relax on the day for worry that things will go wrong. You have lots of support here and resources if you decide to look elsewhere!

If I could hug you all, I really would!!

Thank you so much love_love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sweirdo

HELP!
    Our wedding photographer just cancelled on us! Does anyone know a good photographer (preferrably under 800) in the Cork/Tipperary area? Any tips would be appreciated. Our wedding is the 5th of October.

love_love wrote: »
    So sorry to hear about this susb, it sounds really stressful. I agree that it seems like you won't be able to relax on the day for worry that things will go wrong. You have lots of support here and resources if you decide to look elsewhere!

Update: they have come back and trying to sort the accommodation for us.
    It should never have happened but will see... Some guests have already booked flights from quite far which is an issue if we are to change but we have got a plan b. Castle Durrow have availability the day before which we adored so will see what they come back with and weigh it all up

sweirdo wrote: »
    HELP!
    Our wedding photographer just cancelled on us! Does anyone know a good photographer (preferrably under 800) in the Cork/Tipperary area? Any tips would be appreciated. Our wedding is the 5th of October.

My friend got married in Cork and had Andrew O'Dwyer, their photos were gorgeous. Not sure cost wise but you could check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

susb wrote: »
    My friend got married in Cork and had Andrew O'Dwyer, their photos were gorgeous. Not sure cost wise but you could check?

Same date as our Wedding and Ruth Foran photography was following up last week so could still be free. Came recommended from a colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭mjp

How much are people paying for their photographer. Ours is costing 1600 and that's from being at brides house in morning up until after first dance. There is a further 300 to have another photographer at my house morning of wedding as two houses are 50 miles apart. Was my fiancé dealing with him and he's very good and was available hence why picked him. Thought it was very expensive but hadn't any other prices to compare it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

What’s the story with ordering a cake? How much notice do you need to give roughly? I had a friend who had said she’d do cake but now due to unforeseen circumstances, she no longer can. I never even paid attention to cakes when I was at wedding fairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

How much are people paying for their photographer. Ours is costing 1600 and that's from being at brides house in morning up until after first dance. There is a further 300 to have another photographer at my house morning of wedding as two houses are 50 miles apart. Was my fiancé dealing with him and he's very good and was available hence why picked him. Thought it was very expensive but hadn't any other prices to compare it with.

Ours is 1300 but he’s not coming to houses before hand so that is from church to a few dances into the night then.

Ermm €3,250 😬

mjp wrote:
    How much are people paying for their photographer. Ours is costing 1600 and that's from being at brides house in morning up until after first dance. There is a further 300 to have another photographer at my house morning of wedding as two houses are 50 miles apart. Was my fiancÃ႒© dealing with him and he's very good and was available hence why picked him. Thought it was very expensive but hadn't any other prices to compare it with.

We paid 1500 for grooms house my house and up to first dance! Album is separate tho! Picked up my usb of photos yesterday! LOVE them!!!!

• Advertisement

^^^ It was 30km between his house and mine!

Advertisement