Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Try boohoo.ie i know they have cute jammies and nightdresses!

Thanks for that, never would have thought of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I got lovely robes in Debenhams, it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

2017 bride here! I just bought these

https://eu.riverisland.com/women/sale/lingerie--nightwear/white-floral-embroidered-robe-695046

Ordered online so don't know if they're too see-through yet, hopefully not

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

2018 bride here yikes

Is everyone having a videographer?

Recent bride here. I didn't book one and I didn't believe it was a necessary thing to shell out for. I'm a bit sorry now that I didn't. I was so high on adrenaline on the day that I've forgotten lots of things that happened. I really wish now that I'd had one, I think it would have been worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Does anyone here have any recommendations for wedding insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

je551e wrote: »
    2018 bride here yikes

Is everyone having a videographer?

We aren't. We just got the keys to our house and with wedding being 8 months away it just isn't in our budget at the minute. Going to get someone to record a bit on the day, I know it won't quite be the same but I'll be happy enough with that I think

Thanks all, I'd say we're going to give it a miss too need to make savings where possible.

Are we allowed discuss prices here ? Just on photographers,all seem to be crazy money

Wellyd wrote: »
    Does anyone here have any recommendations for wedding insurance?

Think we went with quotedevil.
    I wasn't too keen on the idea of getting insurance, and I dont think any of my friends did, but the missus insisted. Not sure if she thinks I'm going to bail, or if she's just worried about someone getting sick. Think it cost about €170

I had a last minute panic about wedding insurance the week before and got mine from weddinginsurance.ie, it was 60e. I think my fiancé rolled his eyes and thought it was a waste of money :D The reason I wanted it was because we had had lots of issues with the venue in the run-up to the wedding and I wanted anything covered on that side in case things went wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Are we allowed discuss prices here ? Just on photographers,all seem to be crazy money

Just to point out, everything prefixed with "wedding" is crazy money :pac: That goes for photographers just as it goes for bands, flowers, dresses, venues, etc. I'm biased here but IMO photography is just about one of the most important things you pay for (assuming you are interested in having photos in the first place). The photos you get are one of the few things you have to hold on to that let you revisit your day for decades to come. Cake is eaten, bands finish up, flowers wilt, dresses are boxed away. I am by no means trying to downplay their importance to the day but I've seen so often how photography seems be the line where people go "Wow weddings photography is expensive". It's all expensive :D Our wedding album sits in our living room, my wife and I look through it every now and again. I've shown our baby daughter it and will show her it as she grows older. Photography is important to me and our wedding photographer was worth his weight in gold.

On a less philosophical note, yeah wedding photography is expensive. There should be a good range of prices though from around €800 all the way up to €2k and beyond. TBH, aside from striking lucky with a talented newcomer to the market you're looking at around €1300+ to get (what I would consider) a quality photographer. Moving to €1600+ and you open up a lot more choice.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Just to point out, everything prefixed with "wedding" is crazy money :pac: That goes for photographers just as it goes for bands, flowers, dresses, venues, etc. I'm biased here but IMO photography is just about one of the most important things you pay for (assuming you are interested in having photos in the first place). The photos you get are one of the few things you have to hold on to that let you revisit your day for decades to come. Cake is eaten, bands finish up, flowers wilt, dresses are boxed away. I am by no means trying to downplay their importance to the day but I've seen so often how photography seems be the line where people go "Wow weddings photography is expensive". It's all expensive :D Our wedding album sits in our living room, my wife and I look through it every now and again. I've shown our baby daughter it and will show her it as she grows older. Photography is important to me and our wedding photographer was worth his weight in gold.

On a less philosophical note, yeah wedding photography is expensive. There should be a good range of prices though from around €800 all the way up to €2k and beyond. TBH, aside from striking lucky with a talented newcomer to the market you're looking at around €1300+ to get (what I would consider) a quality photographer. Moving to €1600+ and you open up a lot more choice.

Thanks you've made me realise the importance of it compared with other stuff. All quotes have been 2000 +

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Thanks you've made me realise the importance of it compared with other stuff. All quotes have been 2000 +

That's quite pricey, are you asking for more than a standard package? 1 photographer, 8 hours, digital prints etc?

You're in the high end of the market there. I know plenty of great photographers in the €1700-€2000 range if you'd like some recommendations. Drop me a PM and I'll send you on a few names.

Actually, as GingerLily asked... are those quotes including things like albums? That'll bump the price up a good chunk. Our photographer was €1400 + €500 for an album. I know his prices have gone up recently though... I think around €1850 + €700 for an album.

Also, as GingerLily mentioned it ;) 8 hours is what I'd consider a "half day"... 10am - 6pm so at €2k+ I'd be hoping you're getting a full day (about 12 hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Bacchus wrote:
    Actually, as GingerLily asked... are those quotes including things like albums? That'll bump the price up a good chunk. Our photographer was €1400 + €500 for an album. I know his prices have gone up recently though... I think around €1850 + €700 for an album.

Mines about that 1499 + 350-500 for album depending on what size ya go for.. from getting ready to first dance!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I'm paying around 2k for the photographer, but tbh, I really love his style of photography, so I ranked it higher than some other things on the budget haha.
    It all depends tbh. I did some haggling with other vendors and I'm going to be designing my own invites so I'm saving money in different places in order to get what I really want. Our rule for this wedding is that we won't go broke for a wedding.

Our rule for this wedding is that we won't go broke for a wedding.

The 1st rule of wedding planning is don't go broke planning the wedding
    The 2nd rule of wedding planning is stack the numbers so it looks like you're not going broke planning the wedding

Seriously though yeah, at the end of the day... its a day. Don't ruin yourself paying for it. I've seen all scales of weddings and every one brings its own fun and awesomeness. Brides doing their own makeup still looked stunning. Couples doing their own flowers being told to quit the day job. 2nd hand dress... would you even know if they didn't say? And so on.

IMO, the top areas where it pays to pay are the band (everyone remembers a rocking band), the food (everyone remembers a good meal) and photographer (for when you want to remember).

The venue is somewhat implicit under "food" and of course every aspect is important to getting the day you want. It's a matter of personal choice. I know from my wife that getting the right make-up artist was one of her first priorities... the others being flowers and the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Getting married in Galway on Saturday May 12th....
    Not thankful to Ed Sheeran today....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Getting married in Galway on Saturday May 12th....
    Not thankful to Ed Sheeran today....

Ugh. I was afraid he was gonna announce a gig for our date :( have you your bedrooms booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Ugh. I was afraid he was gonna announce a gig for our date :( have you your bedrooms booked?

Accom isnt the issue, its the guests who might get tickets for Ed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Are you from Galway? I wouldnt worry about it the chances of people getting tickets are slim!!

You could always send a save the date before tix go on sale? Or even a message on facebook?
    I sent save the dates to anyone abroad and then made a page on facebook for irish guests just as an fyi cos my wedding is near christmas.. Just so that itll be in their minds :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Surely not having Ed Sheeran fans at your wedding is a positive :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

I found the perfect dress. My wedding is not for over a year, just wondering if I order it now and it arrives early will the shop keep it until I'm ready to get it altered? I know I could ask the shop but just wanted to see if anyone has any idea.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

infor123 wrote: »
    I found the perfect dress. My wedding is not for over a year, just wondering if I order it now and it arrives early will the shop keep it until I'm ready to get it altered? I know I could ask the shop but just wanted to see if anyone has any idea.

They might? I picked mine early on and just brought it home though. It's in an opaque bag so nobody can see the design of it.

I found and ordered my dress last summer and it came in last christmas and my wedding is not till this christmas and they are holding onto it until I bring it home for alterations :-) it will depend on your shop! Mine is a big bridal shop so they have the room to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

mcgiggles wrote: »
    I found and ordered my dress last summer and it came in last christmas and my wedding is not till this christmas and they are holding onto it until I bring it home for alterations :-) it will depend on your shop! Mine is a big bridal shop so they have the room to spare!

Ok cool good to know. I'll ask but just wanted to check if it was something that was possible.

Appreciate some feedback for a couple of questions that I have.

I'm getting married in early March, and we have all the major things organised.
    1. I'm just wondering, how close to the actual wedding day would you expect to start confirming things with the hotel. Like, when would you confirm the time that you want the dinner served? Presume there's no rush, but just wondering as our wedding organiser will be on maternity leave around Christmas, and she's been fantastic to deal with so far, so would love to plan everything with her if possible.

2. What did you all do with regards to letting people know the wedding date? I've been telling people as I meet them, and getting them to put it in their calendars. I dont fancy sending out Save The Dates really. Anyone have any better ideas?

3. Our hotel has limited accommodation. Should be able to house about half the wedding party. Our plan is to sort out family first, and then let friends know that they can book. Anyone deal with limited rooms in a different way? We're on the hook for all the rooms, so dont want to tell my friends to book B&Bs and then realise that we have unbooked rooms in the venue.

Thanks

1. I'm just wondering, how close to the actual wedding day would you expect to start confirming things with the hotel. Like, when would you confirm the time that you want the dinner served? Presume there's no rush, but just wondering as our wedding organiser will be on maternity leave around Christmas, and she's been fantastic to deal with so far, so would love to plan everything with her if possible.

About 2 months before... give or take. You could just try and meet her in advance of going on maternity leave (i.e. early December). Might be a bit early but don't see why it'd be an issue as long as her schedule it's full.
    2. What did you all do with regards to letting people know the wedding date? I've been telling people as I meet them, and getting them to put it in their calendars. I dont fancy sending out Save The Dates really. Anyone have any better ideas?

It's a tricky one. What you're doing sounds right though. Tell people as you go. Even save the date cards won't lodge the date in people's minds (except for those who would make a point of noting the date anyway) so IMO, what's the point. The sooner you accept that about 10-15% of your invite list will not be at your wedding, the sooner you'll relax about trying to make sure everyone keeps your date free.
    3. Our hotel has limited accommodation. Should be able to house about half the wedding party. Our plan is to sort out family first, and then let friends know that they can book. Anyone deal with limited rooms in a different way? We're on the hook for all the rooms, so dont want to tell my friends to book B&Bs and then realise that we have unbooked rooms in the venue.

What is the process the hotel has in place. Is it just a reference guest give to book the room or do you have to give the hotel names of guests staying there?

Assuming guests just need to call and say they are staying for bazwraf's wedding to book a room... tell your family to book first. Tell them they have until <insert deadline> to do so before the invites go out and the free for all begins. On the invites then include a page/card with the hotel details and provide a list of alternatives. There is an element of risk that your friends might not want to stay in the hotel (perhaps the room rate is quite high) but there's not much you can do about that. A quick Google will show them any nearby B&Bs if that's what they want. May as well be helpful and save them that hassle :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Bacchus

Advertisement