Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Pre-marriage course done and dusted. It was like pulling teeth, especially on a day like today. But it’s another box ticked! Registering our intent on Wednesday so finally seems like I’m starting to get back into the planning!

Whoop, 2 weeks to go (for our second attempt)
    Surely if can't snow in June :D

Whoop, 2 weeks to go (for our second attempt)
    Surely if can't snow in June :D

Still no sign of any snow. I'm starting to think that I might actually get to get married this week :D:D:D

Not even bothered that a few people have had to bail this week already. 1 more day of work. Woop woop

Still no sign of any snow. I'm starting to think that I might actually get to get married this week :D:D:D

Not even bothered that a few people have had to bail this week already. 1 more day of work. Woop woop

I’ll throw my child of Prague out for you if you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

No snow but you could have thunder storms... fingers crossed for you.
    We had out menu tasting last night, decisions all made. Met with the lady who will be looking after us on the day too which was nice.
    Suit alterations are underway, I've got to get mine and bridesmaid dress into seamstress at some stage this month.
    Invites are almost ready to go.
    Hen is the end of the month.
    I'm sure there are things to do but the wedding (mid aug) still feels like a long time away.

• Advertisement

So wedding is done and dusted, and we we're absolutely blessed with everything.
    The weather was perfect. The venue was amazing. Band, photographer, everything just went so well.
    I'll do more of a write up over the next few days, but just wanted to throw down a few words now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So wedding is done and dusted, and we we're absolutely blessed with everything.
    The weather was perfect. The venue was amazing. Band, photographer, everything just went so well.
    I'll do more of a write up over the next few days, but just wanted to throw down a few words now.

Great, delighted to see this.

I was wondering about you over the weekend as you had originally thought it would be a lot cooler were ye all in Winter dresses and suits and now sweating with the heat on Saturday.

aquinn wrote: »
    Great, delighted to see this.

I was wondering about you over the weekend as you had originally thought it would be a lot cooler were ye all in Winter dresses and suits and now sweating with the heat on Saturday.

Yeah, the heat impacted us a bit. We had the outfits that we had originally picked for the start of March.
    At the end of the day though, it mattered not a bit. We looked good, and we got through the heat alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SheepGoHere

The search now turns to shoes. I didn't think wedding shoes would be hard to decide on, turns out wedding everything is hard to decide on. I love the Emmy London bridal shoes, but at 500 + quid they're a no go. Anyone have any luck in town (Dublin city centre)? Everywhere was packed today, but there were some nice shoes in Aldo. I feel like I'd need my dress to decide on them, don't fancy strolling up and down Grafton St in it though...

The search now turns to shoes. I didn't think wedding shoes would be hard to decide on, turns out wedding everything is hard to decide on. I love the Emmy London bridal shoes, but at 500 + quid they're a no go. Anyone have any luck in town (Dublin city centre)? Everywhere was packed today, but there were some nice shoes in Aldo. I feel like I'd need my dress to decide on them, don't fancy strolling up and down Grafton St in it though...

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/shoes-and-boots/roland-cartier-maddalyn-embellished-t-bar-court-shoes/d878135.pd#280715182

I’m not a shoe person at all and I saw these by chance on a uk wedding forum and happened to be in dundrum a few days later and found them. I was just looking for something that my foot would be secure in because I’m definitely bambi when it comes to heels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 susb

Dune literally have the most stunning bridal shoe collection (of high street and designer, I did a lot of searching) and a lot are on sale at the moment https://www.dunelondon.com/en-ie/wedding-footwear-accessories-dept4087/
    Really recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

The Dune selection is fab. 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 33 susb

susb wrote: »
    Update: they have come back and trying to sort the accommodation for us.
    It should never have happened but will see... Some guests have already booked flights from quite far which is an issue if we are to change but we have got a plan b. Castle Durrow have availability the day before which we adored so will see what they come back with and weigh it all up

*Final Update*
    After a bit of toing and froing, we have got a great response back from the venue thankfully.

We have the accommodation sorted, it does sound like it was a bit of a fiasco for them to deal with but they have it sorted which was our major concern.

Thanks to the lovely people who sent me their opinions and reviews, it is so reassuring to hear that so many people had positive experiences there and of the food.

They've come back and been very supportive on the elements we had concerns about and we are going back to have another tasting which is really appreciated. I can wholeheartedly say I'll be super relieved when the wedding planning is finished and we can just enjoy the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I had brilliant luck in Debenhams. I got a pair of Jenny Packham bridal sandals with diamante emebllishment. They have a really gorgeous range. Look out for sales. Mine were 130 new and were on half price sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

So 10 weeks to my wedding and I'm starting to tear my hair out. I'm pretty organised and have everything booked and me and my daughters outfits sorted. I am a pretty chill bride so I'm at the stage of just telling my tiny bridal party to do what they feel like and I'll be ok with it lol.
    Trying to sort the ceremony this week, my mother is in charge or decorations, flowers need to be sorted, the cake maker wont get back to me...

His parents are arriving a few days before the wedding and leaving the morning AFTER. They don't want to be involved in the wedding or planning, so we cant do much the days before and I am stressing the heck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Do people get gifts for birdesmaids? My brother was saying the "going rate" is €60-70 each but I'm kinda thinking they are getting their dress out of it and there's not really a lot of tasks for them to do..at least so far...wedding still 3 months away? I've gotten the groomsmen a white mini swiss army penknife for their keyrings....might come in useful on the day, to cut threads or if there's any trouble :-D 
    Also what sorta gifts do people get for their wives/husbands on the wedding day? (i'm thinking of getting a country jersey with her new surname and the number 18 on it...but prob a bit unromantic so might need something else too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Do people get gifts for birdesmaids? My brother was saying the "going rate" is €60-70 each but I'm kinda thinking they are getting their dress out of it and there's not really a lot of tasks for them to do..at least so far...wedding still 3 months away? I've gotten the groomsmen a white mini swiss army penknife for their keyrings....might come in useful on the day, to cut threads or if there's any trouble :-D 
    Also what sorta gifts do people get for their wives/husbands on the wedding day? (i'm thinking of getting a country jersey with her new surname and the number 18 on it...but prob a bit unromantic so might need something else too!)

Yep, I’m doing bridesmaids gifts. I don’t consider the dresses/makeup/hair etc a gift. I’d never expect them to pay for their own bridesmaid dresses etc. No more than you wouldn’t expect your groomsmen to go out and buy their own suits. I got mine Thomas Sabo bracelets with their initial engraved on the coin. There’s a sale on at the moment, might be worth a look.

As for the GAA Jersey, is she into GAA? If not, I’d maybe think about doing something else that might mean more to her. Have you a budget in mind? Maybe a piece of jewellery with an engraving on it perhaps. I’m getting my husband to be personalised cuff links.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ours was a winter weddng so we got each of our bridal party a newbridge silver tree decoration, and they got their outfits too (they were besoke to each of them, the girls got to pretty much choose their design and my best man got a full black tie rig out of it!).

My wife bought me a beautful dress watch, and I got her a personalised build-a-bear and a wedding ring charm for her thomas sabo bracelet (I proposed with the engagement ring charm so it made sense!).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

a wedding ring charm for her thomas sabo bracelet.

Love this ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

For my bridesmaids I made them bags with stocking fillers. I included fans, socks, lip balm, facial spray, highlighter, prosecco and another few bits (jewelry & dressing gowns) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

For bridesmaids I’ve just got them each something different that I know they’ll like and keep all around the same budget.

We decided not to do presents for each other but we are writing each other letters for the morning of.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

I'm going to jo Malone next weekend and I'm going to buy my bm a perfume. I've also bought her a little necklace to wear on the day.

Hen Party outfit shopping online tonight. It's so hard to find something nice and white! I know the white bit isn't necessary! I was awake all night last night googling honeymoons. We've nothing booked and the days are ticking by. I'm a teacher and don't have my school lined up yet for September so I feel like if I'm lucky to get work that I'll be very cheeky rocking up and needing two weeks off in November for a honeymoon. I think this is weighing on my mind and putting me off booking. Off to look for invitations tomorrow. I've a definite idea in my mind do hopefully I can tick another job off!

I'm a teacher and getting married in November too :) trying to get stuff organised in between correcting exams at the moment! We'll go away for a few days during midterm and go on a bigger holiday over the summer I think. Haven't bought anything for a hen night yet but I'll definitely be looking for somethinh white, yolo ;) current midnight searches are for a videographer, think I'm still trying to justify the need even though I know so many people have told me I'll regret it if we don't have one.

We're the October bank holiday weekend and are really determined to have the 'big honeymoon' experience straight after the wedding. I've no problem taking two weeks unpaid leave I just would love to know where I'll be working so I can ask ASAP! As for the something white for hen party, Boohoo actually seem to have the best selection! I've 6 different outfits added to the cart!

Unpaid leave is better than wedding leave anyway because at least a sub will be paid, so hopefully whatever you're school in will see that as a plus! Off to boohoo with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

A month to go now, got most of the stuff sorted, now just the small bits that need to be finalised.
    Popping in to finalise details with the venue tomorrow and then just a few more odds and ends to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Moody_mona wrote: »
    current midnight searches are for a videographer, think I'm still trying to justify the need even though I know so many people have told me I'll regret it if we don't have one.

Just a quick thought on this, the videographer and photographer was 100% the BEST money we ever spent on our wedding. I didn't realise how much of the day I just wasn't taking in at all as it sped by. We got our videos (short social media version and a long 2 hour documentary) just about a month after our wedding and it was amazing. Neither our photgrapher or videographer were particularly cheap but I am so so happy about getting them.

If you're interested, our videographer was Kevin in Little Bear. You can see our short video here if you want. :)

Oh and our photographer was Elisha Clarke and I cannot recommend her enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I agree, I didn't want to spend the money on it but I wish I had now. You miss so much of the day.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to lie, I've already swooned over your wedding video baby and crumble, ha!! You must have posted it last year when you got married, it's fab. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Advertisement