Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

this may not be a suitable question for this thread.

this is a screenshot on my samsung s8+ ...when taking a screenshot i have the option i use a lot 'scroll capture'...it works perfectly....my wife has an android one stock android device...is there a way to get the same function or similar on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

dougm1970 wrote:
    this is a screenshot on my samsung s8+ ...when taking a screenshot i have the option i use a lot 'scroll capture'...it works perfectly....my wife has an android one stock android device...is there a way to get the same function or similar on it ?

Nopes...its not stock android feature...check third party apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

OSI wrote: »
    Ports are fine, although neither are used much as I've gone pretty much exclusively wireless unless using Android Auto in the car which requires USB. I have one very fine scratch at the back near the very bottom, but you need to move the phone to get the light to shine in the right way to see it. I think people underestimate how tough phones are these days.

Got this in the post just there.

Perfect fit and phone feels great in hand, not slippy. Nice to hold without a cover, glass now on front and back, will see how it lasts :D Have matching coral blue screen protector at home, must put it on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jones

Charger port just went on my s8+ three sent it back to samsung. Very odd I've never had that happen before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

They don't deliver to Ireland

Price changes every few days as do the shipping terms... but otherwise parcel motel

So I've gone back to using a cover...dropped the phone with both glass on front and back; the front glass protector came off and no damage :o Blessed!

Anyone have dirt building up in their charging port? From looking in it I see patches of dried dirt in it... Not effecting the charging/fast charging so not going to do anything now but in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

rizzee wrote: »
    So I've gone back to using a cover...dropped the phone with both glass on front and back; the front glass protector came off and no damage :o Blessed!

Anyone have dirt building up in their charging port? From looking in it I see patches of dried dirt in it... Not effecting the charging/fast charging so not going to do anything now but in the future...

Protective glass can be a life saver!

For the charging port I use a can of compressed air, works a treat, but make sure to give it a few sprays first away from the charging port to get rid of any condensation, and don't turn the can upside down.

If that fails you can use the sim eject tool, or a toothpick, but be warned you could damage the port with these.

Put a protective glass on it again there... Only realise how horrible it is after not using it for a week or so! Took it off and put a plastic one on. Much better response from the screen without it. I'll take the risk and use a 360 degree case with it on the way in the post...

I've a couple of cases if anyone is looking for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Put a protective glass on it again there... Only realise how horrible it is after not using it for a week or so! Took it off and put a plastic one on. Much better response from the screen without it. I'll take the risk and use a 360 degree case with it on the way in the post...

I use mine without a screen protector, and have taken the case off as well. I generally look after my phones in the line of drops etc, of course i'll only go and jinx it now after saying that.
    Phone is so much nicer without a case on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What is yours like? I have an otterbox symmetry and am very wary of how little protection there is to the screen on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Anyone know the cheapest place to get a screen fixed? I know 3 people with this phone and all of us have broken screens. I've had smart phones for around 10 years an never broken a screen. This is cracked in 2 corners and across the middle.
    Wouldn't consider paying for a new screen as I don't think it'll last but the bottom half of the screen is starting to act funny so I thinks it's in its way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Has anyone successfully connected an S8 to a dns service. PM if you need.

Thanks

What is yours like? I have an otterbox symmetry and am very wary of how little protection there is to the screen on the side

Have a couple of hard back plastic ones, one shockproof with dust covers, couple of silicon ones and a Rhinoshield.

without searching the whole thread. what has been the general consensus on screen protection.
    whats the best tempered glass ?....or is film an option worth thinking about ?....the liquid protectors ?.....or do any of you leave the screen naked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is it true that the European S8s have no fm radio built in on the chip?
    Is tunein radio app the best option then?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Is it true that the European S8s have no fm radio built in on the chip?
    Is tunein radio app the best option then?

Thanks

Yes that is true, you need to use an app or website to get radio on the phone in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

In the market for a new phone and am considering the S8, S8+, S9 or S9+. Is there a general consensus on which is by far and away the better choice?

Is the S9(+) worth the extra money?

I'm on Three at the moment and am due an upgrade, but am not averse to switching networks etc. My typical bill is €45

Getting a business plan is also an option for me.

If you're definitely sticking on Bill pay then either S9 or S9 plus (see what suits you in hand in store). There's probably what, 100 euro in the difference between them and S8 on bill pay?

In saying that, if it was pay as you go, i'd go with the S8 due to around 200 euro saving on a S9 and there isn't that much of a difference. A lot of people have kept their S8's and not upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

If you're definitely sticking on Bill pay then either S9 or S9 plus (see what suits you in hand in store). There's probably what, 100 euro in the difference between them and S8 on bill pay?

In saying that, if it was pay as you go, i'd go with the S8 due to around 200 euro saving on a S9 and there isn't that much of a difference. A lot of people have kept their S8's and not upgraded.

I think summarizes it pretty well, if you are on bill pay then s9+ if you are on pay as you go or month to month bill then look at the S8 or likes of Amazon Germany where the s9 can be picked up from just over €600.

Don't shoot me for this but it's also worth looking at the p20 pro as its very similar to the s9+ spec wise and can be picked up with some decent bill pay offers.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I think the non-plus models seem fine, I don't need a massive screen really but the higher capacity battery is more attractive than a bigger screen - does it balance out given that the higher capacity battery is going to be used up more by the bigger screen? I'm used to the 3400mAh of the One Plus 3T.

Having a really nice camera is appealing (one of the biggest reasons I'm not sticking with the One Plus) but is the camera on the S9 that much better than the S8?

Also, insurance for the S9 seems to be around the €15/month mark while insurance for the S8 is only around €8/month so that's another cost factor.

Cianos wrote: »
    In the market for a new phone and am considering the S8, S8+, S9 or S9+. Is there a general consensus on which is by far and away the better choice?

Is the S9(+) worth the extra money?

I'm on Three at the moment and am due an upgrade, but am not averse to switching networks etc. My typical bill is €45

Getting a business plan is also an option for me.

i'm on three too...i was so impatient after i seen the s8+ i had to get it, even knowing i wanted the note 8 more, but i couldnt wait (this was 6 months before the note release)
    only downside i see with the note 8 is battery life, from reports / reviews i read the s8+ is much better.
    but the note 8 has so much i like (always having notes before). dual cameras, spen, larger screen with less of a curve on edges..all stuff that appeals to me.
    anyway...my point is maybe consider throwing the note 8 into your list of samsung options.....i would have expected a price drop after s9+ release though.

There's talk and preview pictures of Note 9 on GSMArena so would be kicking yourself if you got the Note 8 and it was to come out soon :D Also, like suggested, I would seriously consider throwing the P20 Pro into the mix as well if you're a big camera user..not saying the S9 is bad in anyway compared though.

Costs of the P20 Pro seem too high even on bill (at least with my upgrade comparative to Samsungs, as far as I remember)- MKBHD didn't rate the phone very well besides its camera. Has he gone down hill in recent times?

464mb update just now. May security patch. Sim free phone, on Vodafone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Has anyone had this issue or can help.

S8 is about 2 months old. THE in call volume has gone extremely low and is maxed at volume, it's barely a whisper.

Have to have calls on speaker to hear them.

Any thoughts.? It's a work phone and I'm on Mat leave so not sure where I stand with warranty (I own the phone but they pay the bill)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

frogstar wrote: »
    Has anyone had this issue or can help.

S8 is about 2 months old. THE in call volume has gone extremely low and is maxed at volume, it's barely a whisper.

Have to have calls on speaker to hear them.

Any thoughts.? It's a work phone and I'm on Mat leave so not sure where I stand with warranty (I own the phone but they pay the bill)

Thanks
    Same here, phone a year old. I reckon it must have been a problem with the last update and I have another update ready to install this morning once I can power down for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Same here, phone a year old. I reckon it must have been a problem with the last update and I have another update ready to install this morning once I can power down for a while.

Let me know how you get on. I think I'm up to date with updates .

Mine's working fine, before and after update.

• Advertisement

whitedome dome glass....got it this morning...a palava getting it on...did research for 4 days on how to carefully put it on, its aligned perfectly yet lifting on top left and bottom right, bottom right noticeable like a big air bubble...but this was not from dust..this is from not adhering to the glass....i noticed in youtube videos i watched that they did not have side adhesive sponges like in my kit, i am convinced these caused the lift on the sides... shame as rest of screen is perfect, although very its slippy dome glass.

anyone else use this ?

edit : ended up taking it off and cleaning the dome glass, took an age to get glue off, tried again and its better this time...next few days will tell me what this glass is like...reflection / clarity in daylight etc

Advertisement