Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Got promoted to download the update this morning around 6am (with VF)

some nice visual updates, haven't delved in to the functions too much so far, but the one that had caught my attention the most was the automatically connecting Wi-Fi one.

I assumed that this was going to disable and re-enable my Wi-Fi for me when I left the home or office.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it looks like the re-enabling is the only option available, and the phone won't auto disconnect?

Someone has it arse about face I think. Because for me, it's constantly forgetting to turn Wi-Fi off when I go out of the house or leave the office, and the phone lying on Wi-Fi trying to establish a connection that's the battery drained as far as I'm concerned.

Seldom times I've not returned home, lifted my phone to check an email or something and then re-enabled the Wi-Fi..

This has happened with the new iphone update too. They try to predict when you're most likely to use wifi and bluetooth. Really annoying as I like to make that choice myself to save battery and avoid leaving my bluetooth open to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This has happened with the new iphone update too. They try to predict when you're most likely to use wifi and bluetooth. Really annoying as I like to make that choice myself to save battery and avoid leaving my bluetooth open to anyone

Yeah its a strange decision, it would have been a very nice touch if it disconnected when you got so far from your home address etc - I can't see why this wouldn't be a feasible option what with location services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

Yeah its a strange decision, it would have been a very nice touch if it disconnected when you got so far from your home address etc - I can't see why this wouldn't be a feasible option what with location services etc.

Tasker sorts all this out for a long time?
    I don't get the logic for the os change either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Is €500 a good price for this phone still? Broke the screen of my S6 recently and had thought about just going for an S7 for around €300 but the S8 has appeared on Amazon for 500 recently, and I'm tempted...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Is €500 a good price for this phone still? Broke the screen of my S6 recently and had thought about just going for an S7 for around €300 but the S8 has appeared on Amazon for 500 recently, and I'm tempted...

Buy only if its sold by amazon...some dodgy third party sellers to be aware of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just a note for all

I was on the xxxxxCRAP version, (can see why they gave it that name :D) and battery life was shocking, however after updating to the xxxxxCRB7 version now, the difference in battery life is astonishing.

If anyone is still on the xxxxxCRAP version, the update is justified. I also noticed the phone is a lot lot faster now aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

Just a note for all

I was on the xxxxxCRAP version, (can see why they gave it that name :D) and battery life was shocking, however after updating to the xxxxxCRB7 version now, the difference in battery life is astonishing.

If anyone is still on the xxxxxCRAP version, the update is justified. I also noticed the phone is a lot lot faster now aswell.

Ya my battery is very bad on that CRAP version. I take it out flashed using ODIN?

statto25 wrote:
    Ya my battery is very bad on that CRAP version. I take it out flashed using ODIN?

Its the official oreo update....i got it OTA but I am on simfree s8+

Its the official oreo update....i got it OTA but I am on simfree s8+

I was on the XEU build from Germany, also known as the BTU build (updates come direct from Samsung) but did not get the update for CR7B, I had to use ODIN. Decided to go back to the Vodafone build as it is now up to date.

So yes some will have to go the Odin route.

statto25 wrote: »

Yep, check and see if there is an update first, if not then ODIN will be the way to go if you want it.

Make sure to use v3.13 of ODIN, its up on XDA Forums, as 3.12 just freezes as it cant handle the new compression they use.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/how-to/odin-available-3-13-1-oreo-fws-t3755957

What firmware is flashed onto your S8 at the moment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Yep, check and see if there is an update first, if not then ODIN will be the way to go if you want it.

Make sure to use v3.13 of ODIN, its up on XDA Forums, as 3.12 just freezes as it cant handle the new compression they use.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/how-to/odin-available-3-13-1-oreo-fws-t3755957

I flashed do the CRB7 with Odin last week.
    Notice that my Baseband version is still at CRAP though, whereas Build number is at CRB7. From a little bit of googling it appears that this is normal. Is this the same as yours?

Mr Velo wrote:
    I flashed do the CRB7 with Odin last week. Notice that my Baseband version is still at CRAP though, whereas Build number is at CRB7. From a little bit of googling it appears that this is normal. Is this the same as yours?

+1...Its same for me...

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I flashed do the CRB7 with Odin last week.
    Notice that my Baseband version is still at CRAP though, whereas Build number is at CRB7. From a little bit of googling it appears that this is normal. Is this the same as yours?

Yep baseband is still the CRAP version, there was no update to that, only the build itself.

By baseband is CRAP but my build is CRB7....This means I am on the correct version, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I installed the Odin update last night, on 3, and now any texts or emails I want to read are automatically opened in Autorotate mode. Any way of changing back to 'normal' views of texts and emails?

statto25 wrote: »
    By baseband is CRAP but my build is CRB7....This means I am on the correct version, right?

Yep so long as the build is CRB7 you're good to go, there was no update for the baseband, only the build.

I installed the Odin update last night, on 3, and now any texts or emails I want to read are automatically opened in Autorotate mode. Any way of changing back to 'normal' views of texts and emails?

That's quite odd, where did you download the firmware from?

Also try wipe the cache partition, see if that fixes it:

Power off phone, then hold Bixby button and volume up button and power button, once it loads up leave it till the screen goes to recovery mode.

Use the volume down button to go down to "Wipe cache partition" and the power button to select it, then select yes.

Finally select "Reboot system now".

That might fix it. If not perhaps a backup and factory restore might fix it, I take it you used the HOME_CSC file to preserve your data yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Anybody ever have a problem with their charging port on the s8. Mines gone to the stage where the cable won't stay connected at all and I can only charge it wirelessly.
    It started months ago with a warning on the screen to say it was slow charging and to use original charger which is what was plugged in and got gradually wo4se over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

kkhornet wrote:
    Anybody ever have a problem with their charging port on the s8. Mines gone to the stage where the cable won't stay connected at all and I can only charge it wirelessly. It started months ago with a warning on the screen to say it was slow charging and to use original charger which is what was plugged in and got gradually wo4se over time.

Something like that happened my previous phone s7 edge. I just changed out the cable and it was grand again

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

jones wrote: »
    Something like that happened my previous phone s7 edge. I just changed out the cable and it was grand again

Ah I've tried different cables, tried the little adapter to use older cables aswell and even the USB adapter. Nothing's working anymore.
    Maybe it's blocked with dust or something but I didn't think would have that effect that they wouldn't even stay connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

That's usually how my phones end. Last time it was supported to stand with a mashed potato dinner. Charging not right since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

yeah my charging port is half shagged aswell,no longer fast charges no matter what cable I use,also getting the moisture warning and inability to charge as a result eventhough its never been exposed to liquid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Could you try clearing the port out with a can of compressed air ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Bite down on both sides of a cotton bud to flatten out the round head and give it a forceful root around the charging port (also works with the earphone jack, mic etc) . I've done it on S7 and iPhone before that. No harm giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Smashed screen on s8+ at the weekend, still usable though. Went into phone shop to get a quote for replacement and they said €320! I think for that money I just keep using it until it stops working

Smashed screen on s8+ at the weekend, still usable though. Went into phone shop to get a quote for replacement and they said €320! I think for that money I just keep using it until it stops working

Fonfix are charging €280 for an S8+ screen repair. Still very expensive but the fact that the screen and the digitizer are one piece makes it costly experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is anyone using a whitestone dome glass screen protector with a cover? Specifically a Spigen NeoHybrid cover? Any issues with fitment or lifting of the protector?

Just got an 656 mb update on my s8+ already having oreo...looks like lots of fixes provided...

Just got an 656 mb update on my s8+ already having oreo...looks like lots of fixes provided...

Which network are you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

Nothing on three anyway

Advertisement