Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

coylemj wrote:
    But a helluva lot of people bought the dongle. Plugs into a HDMI port on any (smart or otherwise) TV. Current price on argos.ie is €39.

But the box is cheaper at €27 in argos and it comes with an offer of 2 months Entertainment or Cinema at that price also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

FRIENDO wrote: »
    But the box is cheaper at €27 in argos and it comes with an offer of 2 months Entertainment or Cinema at that price also.

+1 so I bought it. Even though I already have the original Chromecast stick.

I don't think there's any conflict here, Chromecast is brilliant for casting web or mobile app-based entertainment to the TV. The Now TV box fulfils a different purpose.

Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is the
    NowTV Smart Box
    available in Ireland?

https://www.nowtv.com/tv-smart-box
    Schwanz wrote: »
    No pal

Thanks.

Pity ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

The box does a few other things better, for instance, if a series is available on catch up and you go to watch it on live tv it will ask if you want to play from the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I just bought the box and a sports pass.

I am a bit confused as to what I will get on the box when it arrives? Is there apps on the box pre-installed like youtube/netflix/ TV players? Or are they part of the entertainment pack?

Also can you wire the box with internet?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Yes you will get apps on the box which you can use with or without a subscription
    TV3 player, Channel 4 player, YouTube, Tune in radio, Vevo, Sky News, Sky boxoffice ppv and a couple of others. Netflix is also due to arrive this year.

The box can be either wifi or hard wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Excellent. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I just bought the box and a sports pass.

The offers that I've seen are for the box bundled with either an entertainment or movies 14 days pass, did you buy a Sky Sports pass separately? If you did and it's a €15 seven day pass, take note that as a new Now TV user, you can sign up for Sky Sports at €20 p.m. for three months, this is cancellable at any time so you can get one month for €20 instead of seven days for €15. If you haven't used the pass and want to cancel, you should be within the cooling off period.
    eoghan104 wrote: »
    Also can you wire the box with internet?

Yes and that's the best way to connect it when you use it for the first time as the first boot will download the latest version of the s/w. But it will remember wi-fi passwords so when you're all setup, disconnect the cable and set it up for wi-fi, that way it will be a breeze to connect if/when you bring it to the bedroom or another room away from the router. As with Apple TV, it will used a wired connection in preference to wi-fi if it detects a cable connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I see pigsback.com doing a great deal at the moment. €20 for the box including a choice of either 2 months entertainment or 2 months movies pass. Price includes delivery. The same offer is in Argos for €27

Edit.....see below - its another 20 for delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

muffler wrote: »
    I see pigsback.com doing a great deal at the moment. €20 for the box including a choice of either 2 months entertainment or 2 months movies pass. Price includes delivery. The same offer is in Argos for €27

I had a look and see this:
    Highlights

Get a NOW TV box plus a 2 month Entertainment or Sky Cinema Pass for just €19.99 - 50% Off
    Stream award-winning box sets or the biggest box office hits on your TV.
    With no contract, dip in and out at any time.
    Delivered free to your door in 3-5 days (after voucher redemption)
    Access Sky Sports with a Day, Week and Month Passes. Available to buy at nowtv.com/ie
    FINE PRINT
    Delivery costs an additional €19.99 per voucher/item
    18+ ROI Only. New NOW TV customers only.
    Redemption required at www.nowtv.com/ie
    Cinema or entertainment pass costs €15 per month once the 2 month offer period ends, unless cancelled

I find that not a little confusing ...... comment? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A good spot Jb. I looked at the front page and never noticed the bit in brackets.....
    Delivered free to your door in 3-5 days (after voucher redemption)

So its actually another 20 quid for delivery. Great bloody way they have for describing things. I was tempted but not any more :mad:

Ye just got the Sky Sports offer 20 Euro for 3 months.
    It said 50 but when I selected the package it offered me the 20 Euro deal, so happy days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

The roaming feature with your box is very handy - while abroad I got an email to say my roaming would expire in 7 days and so it did as I was out of the country for 30 days

To reactivate it I had to return to Belfast and last night I set the box back up again and the roaming restarted - which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I forgot to mention this here, but Nestle are doing a promotion offering chances to win passes. The Bargain Alerts thread is here.

NuMarvel wrote:
    I forgot to mention this here, but Nestle are doing a promotion offering chances to win passes. The Bargain Alerts thread is

Great that's me off the diet :-)
    Thanks

Great that's me off the diet :-)
    Thanks

It's a great offer. Free passes AND increased odds of diabetes. What more could you want? :D

NuMarvel wrote: »
    It's a great offer. Free passes AND increased odds of diabetes. What more could you want? :D

Great stuff and thanks, just bough two bars today (2 for 2 Euro) and won both times, voucher valid till April 2019, I have a feeling everybody is a winner

The choice is one of the following:

Month Entertainment
    Month Movies
    Month Kids
    Day Pass on Sports

I've already purchased the Sports for the 3 month offer and good bargains are being advertised for Entertainment and Movies at the moment, so I think I'll hang on to the vouchers for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

got two bars today for €1.60! Waiting for husband to come home and eat them to see if I won!!!

Millem wrote: »
    got two bars today for €1.60! Waiting for husband to come home and eat them to see if I won!!!

Hope you got the one's with the Now TV offer on the label, I bought two Yorky's yesterday only to discover they didn't have the offer

So found two Toffy Crisps today with the right offer

Its like Christmas with all the Chocolate :-)

• Advertisement

Hope you got the one's with the Now TV offer on the label, I bought two Yorky's yesterday only to discover they didn't have the offer

So found two Toffy Crisps today with the right offer

Its like Christmas with all the Chocolate :-)

yes...I won on both :)
    Buying another two tomorrow!!!

Question on roaming.....can you log in in two different countries at the same time?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Heard there's plans to have this service streaming in 1080, any truth to this?

Schwanz wrote: »
    Heard there's plans to have this service streaming in 1080, any truth to this?

Yes it was reported that Now Tv will be streamed at 1080p this year, I've set the Now TV box at 1080p output anyway, don't know if it's still 720 or upscaled 1080p, but I'm very happy with the quality, watching on a 50" plasma.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I stream using the chromecast for the last good while and I have always thought the 720p output was near hd. It makes you realise how crap the output is from tv3 and tg4.

They're doing another half price offer from the Entertainment (TV) or Cinema passes: €7.50 per month for 2 months, runs up to 12th August.

As always, it's for "new customers only", but based on past experience, that's anyone who doesn't have a current pass when they buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

How is the quality of the stream?

I'm a non techie and trying to find a way to have sky sports at certain times of the year - the odd week pass and month pass. Is this the best option?

If I and my father both bought boxes could we both run off same pass (as says you can stream from 2 devices) to effectively half the cost?

I wish sky would just sell the sports channels without the 100+ channels on the basic package I don't want.

Currently relying on mobdro on my phone but it's so bad during big events.

I assume this wouldn't be the case with now tv? Anyone watch the open championship through it? Was it stop/start?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    How is the quality of the stream?

I'm a non techie and trying to find a way to have sky sports at certain times of the year - the odd week pass and month pass. Is this the best option?

If I and my father both bought boxes could we both run off same pass (as says you can stream from 2 devices) to effectively half the cost?

I wish sky would just sell the sports channels without the 100+ channels on the basic package I don't want.

Currently relying on mobdro on my phone but it's so bad during big events.

I assume this wouldn't be the case with now tv? Anyone watch the open championship through it? Was it stop/start?

It works great, Sky Sports is perfect quality, I'm using the Now TV box.

I live in a rural area, so my internet is not very fast, I get up to speed 15 but with other users in the house it can be a lot less to each device but the Now TV works really well streaming.

I think Now TV say that you need a minimum of 2.5 download.

You can register up to a max of 4 devices per month for your Now TV account and watch on any two devices at the same time.

I work away from home often and watch on my mobile phone, I have also chrome casted onto my Fathers Sony TV when I stay there, it works perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lads I'm very unfamiliar with these, but may be interested one.

Can anyone tell me if they're android based and if so is it possible to sideload apks on to it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are rebranded Roku boxes, the software is Linux based afaik but with access to Roku’s Channel Store locked down further.

Advertisement