Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

icdg wrote: »
    They are rebranded Roku boxes, the software is Linux based afaik but with access to Roku’s Channel Store locked down further.

So that'd be a no then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I still don't understand why the NOW TV app on Apple TV isn't available in ROI. It's available in the UK.

That is the only reason why I use the UK app version, so I can watch on the Apple TV. Works perfectly without VPN. I only need a VPN when buying the pass.

I downloaded the App from the UK Apple App store and tried singing into my Irish account but no luck, it needs that UK account.

I am not suggesting anyone to use a UK account btw, just giving context to the annoying Issue. Sorry if this breaks the MODS rules, its kinda difficult to convey the issue without describing the bottleneck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is Rte 1 + 2 and Virgin One on Now Tv?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No. No terrestrial channels are carried in either the U.K. or Ireland. It’s designed to be paired with DTT or Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No. No terrestrial channels are carried in either the U.K. or Ireland. It’s designed to be paired with DTT or Freesat.

Are you sure about that? I thought they released a box in the uk that could hook up a terrestrial aerial, but not in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Now TV Smart box has a Freeview tuner, IIRC.

EDIT:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107224998&postcount=238

It seems attempting to use that link from an Irish location causes the URL to be changed to not display the UK site.

Indeed. But all Now TV is doing there is providing an integrated DTT tuner to watch Freeview. It has nothing to do with the broadcasting of those channels.

Indeed. But all Now TV is doing there is providing an integrated DTT tuner to watch Freeview. It has nothing to do with the broadcasting of those channels.

OK, NowTV do not 'carry' the channels, but the box linked above provides extra functionality for users ..... but apparently is not available in Ireland?

Makes me wonder why?
    What is keeping that box out of this market?
    IMO it would be as popular as the more basic box, and probably more popular.

The DTT tuner is likely exactly what is keeping it out of the market. But the target audience for this likely has Saorview anyway. There is the Now TV Smart Stick which has no DTT tuner but most of the rest of the same features, and is available here.

The DTT tuner is likely exactly what is keeping it out of the market. But the target audience for this likely has Saorview anyway. There is the Now TV Smart Stick which has no DTT tuner but most of the rest of the same features, and is available here.

Maybe I am being dense this morning ..... but why would the inclusion of a DVB-T/2 tuner keep a box out of the Irish market?
    Even if the potential users have Saorview, it would be much more convenient to have all functions in one device.

• Advertisement

They may not want to sell a box that’s not Saorview approved.

Also before you bemoan the lack of DTT tuner too much, consider this one basic fact, which is something that’s been pointed out about the Now TV smart box....

The Now TV remote does not have number keys.

Maybe that’s a feature actually less necessary with Saorview’s eight channels than Freeview’s sixty, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you have an aerial, you can plug it into the back of the TV. The commercial reality is that the majority of Irish users who get a Now TV box already have cable or satellite and don't need a DTT tuner, either in the TV or the IPTV box.

A lot of Saorview users are people in rural areas with no access to fast broadband and they can't use a Now TV box, with or without a DTT tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I see Sky have made an announcement about Sky and Netflix operating on the Sky platform from November.

Has anybody heard any updates about Netflix and Now TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,585 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There's a €15 offer now for Sky Sports pass for a month, I think I'll sign up. I'm just wondering if I want to sign up for another offer some other time would it have to be another email address? I might buy the box with a month's sport pass included when this one expires.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I see Sky have made an announcement about Sky and Netflix operating on the Sky platform from November.

Has anybody heard any updates about Netflix and Now TV?

Afaik Netflix on Now TV will simply consist of an app - none of the integration that Sky Q customers will be able to avail of.

Afaik Netflix on Now TV will simply consist of an app - none of the integration that Sky Q customers will be able to avail of.

What exact integration can you get other than an app. It is not like netflix can be put on epg?

What exact integration can you get other than an app. It is not like netflix can be put on epg?

Netflix will have it's own "space" on the Sky box. So next to catchup TV titles you will see Netflix appear and you will be able to view the content

flexcon wrote: »
    Netflix will have it's own "space" on the Sky box. So next to catchup TV titles you will see Netflix appear and you will be able to view the content

Not sure how that will look. You still have to scroll through stuff in the app. I have netflix on a freesat box. I go into the On Demand stuff and it is there besides iplayer, c5, itv player, rakuten, youtube, etc. Just click into the app

A bigger issue is having to type in the search function - using the remote on the keyboard on the screen is very slow. Some keyboards onscreen are quicker as they let you wrap around the keyboard.

Not sure how that will look. You still have to scroll through stuff in the app. I have netflix on a freesat box. I go into the On Demand stuff and it is there besides iplayer, c5, itv player, rakuten, youtube, etc. Just click into the app

A bigger issue is having to type in the search function - using the remote on the keyboard on the screen is very slow. Some keyboards onscreen are quicker as they let you wrap around the keyboard.

To be honest I just know of someone working within Sky's contact centre and they're privy to seeing some advertisement material and it showed another tile for Netflix.

But not sure inside what the layout will be like, or mirroring the netflix apps themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Netflix App on Now TV box, working perfect

• Advertisement

It can, and that is exactly what Virgin Media do, incidentally - Netflix has a channel on their EPG (300), though all accessing it does is load the app.

But Sky have something different up their sleeve for Sky Q. For anyone subscribed to their “Ultimate on Demand” package Netflix programmes will appear through their Sky Q home screen and throughout the UI rather than just though the app. It’ll be interesting to see how it fully works when it’s launched.

Anyone able to login to the Irish Now TV website? Clicked on My Account, then the green 'Sign in' button but get no user and password fields, just the same screen :confused: Happens on IE and Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

coylemj wrote: »
    Anyone able to login to the Irish Now TV website? Clicked on My Account, then the green 'Sign in' button but get no user and password fields, just the same screen :confused: Happens on IE and Firefox.

No issues here, with IE or Chrome. Is it definitely the Irish site you're on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is there any advantage to the box over the stick?

NuMarvel wrote: »
    No issues here, with IE or Chrome. Is it definitely the Irish site you're on?

It's virtually impossible to access anything other than their Irish website. If you enter www.nowtv.com it sends you to www.nowtv.com/ie

It's allowing me login now.

coylemj wrote: »
    It's virtually impossible to access anything other than their Irish website. If you enter www.nowtv.com it sends you to www.nowtv.com/ie

It's allowing me login now.

For future reference on the Irish website just go to the very bottom right and it says go to UK website.

Got an email saying that the sports pass will be €39 a month from now on, better than 50 but still quite high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I subscribe to a couple of internet sports services (MLB, NFL) and they’re usually about 30-40 seconds behind a live broadcast.

Is is similar for the Sports sub on Now.tv?

I subscribe to a couple of internet sports services (MLB, NFL) and they’re usually about 30-40 seconds behind a live broadcast.

Is is similar for the Sports sub on Now.tv?

All streaming is behind satellite broadcast but the bbc has made a recent breakthrough that should dilute the difference.

• Advertisement

All streaming is behind satellite broadcast but the bbc has made a recent breakthrough that should dilute the difference.

I read recently that Bet365 had invested in technology that would reduce delays in streaming to around 2 seconds. Is it something similar to this?

Advertisement