Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all,
    I am currently on the two week free trial of kids. I logged in and clicked to cancel usually they offer me a deal but no such luck this time!
    Has anyone seen any deals on it? It’s €7 a month!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

48 ban? Really, fair enough, ban me for the 48 hours so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am currently on the two week free trial of kids. I logged in and clicked to cancel usually they offer me a deal but no such luck this time!
    Has anyone seen any deals on it? It’s €7 a month!
    Thanks

The cancellation deals usually only happen after you've paid full price for some period of time. I can't see them offering a deal for people who are finishing the free trial offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I've got some problems with my NowTV setup.

I can receive Freesat TV through the sat input directly into the TV.
    Via the NowTV box I can see the entertainment channels but the live channels and radio are not visible. I get the following message:
    It seems you have not set up your live channels.
    Please go to settings to set your live channels

When I do that and perform a scan no channels were picked up. This was working on Sunday. I believe that as I am receiving the Freesat channels that the cabling to that point is correct (shared cable - this is in an apartment block). So I suspect that the terr input to the multiswitch in the apt comms room is suspect.
    Would this be correct?

I assume that NowTV gets the Entertainment packages as IPTV via the WiFi connection, correct?

I've asked the facilities team to take a look. Am I correct in my belief that this error is external to my room and more than likely with the communal aerial or comms room?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Now tv is just for streaming I thought?
    You don't put a satellite feed into it.

Edit: Just read up online about the box.
    It seems you can connect a terrestrial aerial to the box to receive freeview channels so everything is on the one hdmi source.
    But I don't think you can put a satellite feed into it.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/reviews/now-tv/138104-now-tv-smart-box-review-is-live-tv-and-sky-in-one-device-worth-the-price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Now tv is just for streaming I thought?
    You don't put a satellite feed into it.

The large Roku can take an external feed from Saorview etc.now-tv-review-in-pictures#1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The Freesat is obtained through the same cable into the apartment. I've got it going into the sat output from the faceplate going directly into the TV internal sat tuner. Aerial output goes to the NowTV box.

The Freesat is obtained through the same cable into the apartment. I've got it going into the sat output from the faceplate going directly into the TV internal sat tuner. Aerial output goes to the NowTV box.

If you have a tv connect it upto the terrestrial output from the faceplate to see if the tv can pick up the channels.

If it can you probably will have to change some settings in the now tv box.

Don't know anything about them but a google should be the best option. I doubt if many around here are using a now tv box to see their terrestrial channels.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

My understanding was the Now TV box sold in Ireland has no DVB-T tuner, and no Now TV box (UK or Ireland) has a satellite tuner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

No sat feed on any Now TV equipment.

DVB-T tuner on their smart box picks up Freeview & Saorview though

• Advertisement

Schwanz wrote: »
    No sat feed on any Now TV equipment.

DVB-T tuner on their smart box picks up Freeview & Saorview though

That might be a very handy solution for people with trouble switchimg between the terrestrial and satellite tuners on their smart tv.

Is there series link on the terrestrial side of the now tv box? Timeshift?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

silly me I bought the now tv smart stick thinking that it connected into the tv usb rather than the tv hdmi -anyway it came with a three month kids pass so out of the £20 for the stick and 3 month kids pass it cost me £8 .

anyway had to go down to cork last night and with the new eu regs on roaming the stick works fine - it has a slightly different interface, will back in NI on Tuesday.

More offers:

Half price for 2 months off TV or Cinema - Offer ends 2nd July and/or
    3 month TV or Cinema passes for €27 each, or 3 month TV/Cinema Combo for €50 - no closing date given.

Both are for "new customers only", which in the past has meant anyone who doesn't have an active pass can get the offers. But I'm not sure if or how existing customers buying a new pass can opt in to the 3-month pass deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xanthe6

Bit of a blonde moment, queries may have been answered already but just checking !

Am having someone come stay in the spare room for a few months. The TV there is still picking up the analogue channels but analogue is being shut off in my area in a fortnight. If I get the nowtv box is it just a matter of taking out the cable from the back of the telly and plugging into the now tv box to receive tv channels? Its a saorview telly so with those channels, what channels does the nowtv box pick up in Ireland??
    Spotted the box in argos with a 2month entertainment pass so buying a pass after the 2months would be handy as i dont really want to add a multi room box from my provider for a short term stay. Is it easy to add another month pass/cancel etc ?

xanthe6 wrote: »
    Bit of a blonde moment, queries may have been answered already but just checking !

Am having someone come stay in the spare room for a few months. The TV there is still picking up the analogue channels but analogue is being shut off in my area in a fortnight. If I get the nowtv box is it just a matter of taking out the cable from the back of the telly and plugging into the now tv box to receive tv channels? Its a saorview telly so with those channels, what channels does the nowtv box pick up in Ireland??
    Spotted the box in argos with a 2month entertainment pass so buying a pass after the 2months would be handy as i dont really want to add a multi room box from my provider for a short term stay. Is it easy to add another month pass/cancel etc ?

Now TV works over broadband and doesn't need an aerial or satellite connection. Think of it like getting Sky over the internet, with the box making it easier to watch on TV. The only connection to the TV is a HDMI cable, same way you'd connect a DVD or Blu Ray player.

There's a full list of TV channels about half way down this page: https://www.nowtv.com/ie/watch-tv-shows-online. It says 11, but actually has 15.

It's easy to add or cancel passes too, it can be done through the online account. The main thing to bear in mind is that passes auto renew, but you can cancel at any time before it renews.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

xanthe6 wrote: »
    If I get the nowtv box is it just a matter of taking out the cable from the back of the telly and plugging into the now tv box to receive tv channels? Its a saorview telly so with those channels, what channels does the nowtv box pick up in Ireland??

When you lose the analog signal, you will need to plug in an aerial to get the Saorview channels. You won't get RTE or any of the Irish channels from Now TV. It's not clear from your post if you understand this.

I see now tv have €20 p/m sports passes for 3 months for new sign ups.
    Is there any way of getting it for existing accounts?

It seems a bit mad to be charging €50 p/m for existing and only €20 for new sign ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Cancel your current pass and sign up to now tv again with a new email address. They don't care, I've done it a few times.

Cancel your current pass and sign up to now tv again with a new email address. They don't care, I've done it a few times.

That's a pain though but maybe consider it.
    Can you still use same card?

Edit: I have just done that.

Well I went into My Passes and I could cancel from there. It seems that it has cancelled me from the 2nd July, so just getting the 1 month for €20 I presume.

Be handy for Ire Aus rugby matches and GAA games on now.
    I'd pay €20 p/m for it. Not worth much more as no interest in premiership soccer.

Decided to keep the pass til 2nd Sept. That will cover me for all the GAA games on Sky.

Any idea when I need to cancel so it doesn't renew at €50. Do I cancel before or after 2nd August. I could stick a reminder in my calendar on my phone.

• Advertisement

NuMarvel wrote: »
    More offers:

Half price for 2 months off TV or Cinema - Offer ends 2nd July and/or
    3 month TV or Cinema passes for €27 each, or 3 month TV/Cinema Combo for €50 - no closing date given.

Both are for "new customers only", which in the past has meant anyone who doesn't have an active pass can get the offers. But I'm not sure if or how existing customers buying a new pass can opt in to the 3-month pass deal.

The half price offer is now reduced further to 1/3; i.e. €5 per month for two months. I don't think it's a glitch, because they have a graphic saying it's a saving of €20, which is the right amount.

My current TV pass expires today, so I'll see if I get this offer when I buy a new pass tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Decided to keep the pass til 2nd Sept. That will cover me for all the GAA games on Sky.

Any idea when I need to cancel so it doesn't renew at €50. Do I cancel before or after 2nd August. I could stick a reminder in my calendar on my phone.

I also signed up for the €20 p.m. Sky Sports introductory offer and was wondering the same - when should I cancel so that I get the full three months but avoid the auto renewal at €50 p.m.?

The answer is that you should cancel the pass as soon as the third payment is debited, in your case soon after August 2nd. You will be able to watch the channel until the next (€50) payment would have been due at which point your subscription will be cancelled.

You can cancel at the link below where they say the following.....

Once your Pass is cancelled you’ll see a confirmation message, and get a confirmation email within 3 hours. You’ll be able to keep watching until the date your next payment was due.

https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/how-do-i-cancel-now-tv

UK Now TV customers have access to Sky Sports News app with an entertainment pass. We don't.... wonder why

Bought a Now TV box from Argos in Dun Laoghaire the other day for €27. Had no problem with the service with a wired connection to the Horizon box downstairs but the service (via wi-fi) was a bit iffy in the bedroom upstairs. Was a bit worried that I might not get a good service watching the rugby (Irl. v. Oz) this morning so on Friday I ran an internet connection test & got an error code '018'. The menu said to check nowtv.com/help for more info. but that website redirected me straight back to nowtv.ie which has no info on that error msg.

So I sent an error report via the Now TV website and after answering their query (via e-mail) as to what box I was using and the model number ('Roku powered', model 4201), my new best friend Vijayalakshmi has recommended that I do all of the following..... Bear in mind that I told them that I bought the box the previous day so they should know that the s/w is up to date since the first thing the box did when I switched it on did was to download the latest version.

1) Factory reset : Go to Settings >> System >>Advance Settings >> Factory reset >> Follow the on screen prompts >> It will ask you the password >> Please put the password.

2) Software update :

<< tedious details >>

3) Hard reset :

Locate the RESET hole at the back. Push a pin into the hole, and hold it down for about 30 seconds until the box resets.

All I asked them was to tell me the meaning of error code '018'.

The e-mail came from an address of the form ....xxxxxxxx.eu15.bnc.salesforce.com so as usual, this 'service' has been outsourced to a bunch of people who have not the slightest idea who or what they are dealing with.

Why are you bothering with a box when Now TV can be chromecasted to the tv. Chromecast gives you lots of options plus you can easily take it on holidays.

Why are you bothering with a box when Now TV can be chromecasted to the tv. Chromecast gives you lots of options plus you can easily take it on holidays.

I can also watch Now TV anywhere on my 10" android tablet. The appliance is a simpler option for home viewing and I can take it to the bedroom to watch morning events like the Oz rugby or late events like US golf. I have a Logitech Harmony One so I can control everything with one remote.

Chromecast (I have the original stick) can be a bit fiddly and involves kicking the service off from a mobile device so you're flipping from one device to another, far too messy at 11 a.m. on a Saturday morning when I can just switch on the appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is the
    NowTV Smart Box
    available in Ireland?

https://www.nowtv.com/tv-smart-box

Is the
    NowTV Smart Box
    available in Ireland?

https://www.nowtv.com/tv-smart-box

No pal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Not everybody has a Smart/chromecast enabled tv

• Advertisement

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Not everybody has a Smart/chromecast enabled tv

But a helluva lot of people bought the dongle. Plugs into a HDMI port on any (smart or otherwise) TV. Current price on argos.ie is €39.

Advertisement