Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

I'm watching on a Now TV stick and its perfect here too

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

Yeah, it's been fine for past 45 mins..... hasn't pixelated or dropped out. peculiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Hi, a real noob question here, if I buy the now tv stick will it show any freeview channels without the need to purchase a pass?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No. There’s no DTT tuner in it.

The Now TV Smart Box which does have a DTT tuner isn’t available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

icdg wrote: »
    No*. There’s no DTT tuner in it.

*Sky News might work, it works on Sky Go without logging in, but I suspect that’s not what your after.

Thanks a million, I think there is a DTT in the now tv box though, as opposed to the stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Thanks a million, I think there is a DTT in the now tv box though, as opposed to the stick

There's no co-ax socket for an aerial in the NOW TV box I bought in Argos last year.

That would be the 2nd generation Now TV box which at launch was the only Now TV product available, since joined/replaced by the Smart Stick. Neither have a DTT tuner.

The Now TV Smart Box does have a DTT tuner, but isn’t available in Ireland, presumably because it’s designed for Freeview and is not Saorview approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

icdg wrote: »
    That would be the 2nd generation Now TV box which at launch was the only Now TV product available, since joined/replaced by the Smart Stick. Neither have a DTT tuner.

The Now TV Smart Box does have a DTT tuner, but isn’t available in Ireland, presumably because it’s designed for Freeview and is not Saorview approved.

Yeah, I bought the Now TV box with DTT tuner off ebay a few years ago, it has a basic now and next RPG and you can tune in all the saorview channels, but you can't order the channels or do much with it.

Since the UK NowTV service stopped working here, l use it n a spare room for the TV in there. It also has a YouTube app and the Netflix app, so if anyone stays, its handy. The TV is a few years old so doesn't have a tuner for saorview.

The Now TV box saves me buying a new TV for a room that doesn't get much use except the odd weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I had my third monthly payment (€20) taken today, as part of the 3 month 50% off deal. I have cancelled now but they did offer 3 more months at €23.40 p/m. It might appeal to some with the GAA on over the summer.

I will wait and see what they offer.
    I notice I have 2 montly sports pass vouchers to redeem. What is the story with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I had my third monthly payment (€20) taken today, as part of the 3 month 50% off deal. I have cancelled now but they did offer 3 more months at €23.40 p/m. It might appeal to some with the GAA on over the summer.

I will wait and see what they offer.
    I notice I have 2 montly sports pass vouchers to redeem. What is the story with these?

I haven't used them yet, but they seem to be similar to the discount they offer when you cancel a pass. You can press the redeem button to see what the offer is without signing up to anything or losing the offer.

• Advertisement

It is interesting that the uk price is discounted down to £20 p/m now as well. It will be interesting to see if that is where the future price lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Can the now tv stick thingy be moved around and connected to other tv's in the house once it's set up at the main tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Triboro wrote: »
    Can the now tv stick thingy be moved around and connected to other tv's in the house once it's set up at the main tv?

Yes, its totally independent of the TV.

flexcon wrote: »
    Yes, its totally independent of the TV.

Grand, thanks.. so once you register it and have access to broadband you can use it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Grand, thanks.. so once you register it and have access to broadband you can use it anywhere?

yes that's correct

A few minor improvements I've noticed that I don't think have been formally announced:

1) The number of devices you can register has been increased from 4 to 6. But you're still limited to only using two at any one time. And still no sign of allowing multiple profiles, ala Netflix.

2) The app is now available on some Samsung TVs. According to this page on the helpsite, it's available "on 2016, 2017 and 2018 Samsung TVs, except for Samsung Serif models, which don't support NOW TV". Anything with a K, M, or Q in the TV model number. That said, it's available on my Samsung, and the model number doesn't include a K, M, or Q, so might be worth a shot looking in the app menu anyway.

3) RTE Player has been added to the apps on the Roku box, and presumably the Smart Stick too. And it's the new version of the Player. And it's the best version of the RTE Player, I've seen yet, including *whispers* no pre-play ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

NuMarvel wrote: »
    A few minor improvements I've noticed that I don't think have been formally announced:

1) The number of devices you can register has been increased from 4 to 6. But you're still limited to only using two at any one time. And still no sign of allowing multiple profiles, ala Netflix.

2) The app is now available on some Samsung TVs. According to this page on the helpsite, it's available "on 2016, 2017 and 2018 Samsung TVs, except for Samsung Serif models, which don't support NOW TV". Anything with a K, M, or Q in the TV model number. That said, it's available on my Samsung, and the model number doesn't include a K, M, or Q, so might be worth a shot looking in the app menu anyway.

3) RTE Player has been added to the apps on the Roku box, and presumably the Smart Stick too. And it's the new version of the Player. And it's the best version of the RTE Player, I've seen yet, including *whispers* no pre-play ads!

RTE player not on Smart Stick Apps yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    RTE player not on Smart Stick Apps yet.

Correction...It is available via the App Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Got the free trial to watch GOT, player is absolutely unwatchable it stuttered almost the entire time, especially on scenes that had more moving objects/sound. Not exactly ideal for the big battle! Plus the picture was all digitized and had loads of colour banding

Of course, the less than legal options work fine.

Just found out today that you have to provide banking/credit card details for this to work if that's true!
    Thought it was subscription free and pre pay?
    So much for the pay as you go option so.

• Advertisement

Just found out today that you have to provide banking/credit card details for this to work if that's true!
    Thought it was subscription free and pre pay?
    So much for the pay as you go option so.

It auto renews, but you can cancel at anytime. In fairness, they're pretty upfront about this in their marketing material.

Must be in the small print inside the box so.
    It's not for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Checked it out on the trial, installed app on android box bout to put the feet up app was for mobile and not compatible so Now was immediately redundant to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Wonder will we have BT on Now TV here in Ireland from August

I see there is talk of the satellite free Sky X arriving in Britain soon. It has already launched in Austria. No recording available on it. No 4k just HD. The link below suggests it will be a half way house between Now TV (720p) and Sky Q (upto 4k).

Also talk of Sky X being available on LG and Samsung tvs as an app.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/sky/148401-sky-x
    https://skyx.sky.at/streaming-box

No sport offers on Now TV lately. The €20 p/m ones were good value.

Schwanz wrote: »
    Wonder will we have BT on Now TV here in Ireland from August

Not clear, it will be on Now TV in the UK but that’s part of a quid pro quo that involves Now TV being marketed by BT in the UK that obviously BT can’t offer here. But we’ll wait and see.

Could be a while before we see SkyX I suspect, we were the last to get NowTV. One point of big difference between Sky Ticket (Now TV) and SkyX which might be of specific interest to Irish viewers is that unlike Sky Ticket, Sky X carries the Austrian and German terrestrial channels which could hold up hope that an Irish Sky X could have terrestrial channels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hopefully this is the thread for a general query as I have zero knowledge about Now TV.

I wanted to get Sky Sports today for the GAA. I've no Sky dish or box but I have a phone, laptop, Shield TV. Can Sky Sports be got for a day on Now TV and will I be able to watch it without buying a Now TV stick (I think I've seen sticks anyway)? Thanks.

Hopefully this is the thread for a general query as I have zero knowledge about Now TV.

I wanted to get Sky Sports today for the GAA. I've no Sky dish or box but I have a phone, laptop, Shield TV. Can Sky Sports be got for a day on Now TV and will I be able to watch it without buying a Now TV stick (I think I've seen sticks anyway)? Thanks.

Yeah you just go onto their site and make an account.

Set up payment and away you go with the PC.

Hook it up to the TV if ya want too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Schwanz wrote: »
    Yeah you just go onto their site and make an account.

Set up payment and away you go with the PC.

Hook it up to the TV if ya want too

Nice one, cheers. Is it generally a good service?

• Advertisement

Nice one, cheers. Is it generally a good service?

I'm watching it now and it's perfect on an Apple TV box.

Make sure ya have a half decent PC though, some old ones a tripe for streaming.

Probably better off getting a stick with a free sky sports on it for the month pal

https://powercity.ie/product/4001841

Advertisement