Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ELM327 wrote: »
    Q "Has it ever been stolen or written off"
    A "Yes"

Price "exponential increase"

Your completely wrong on that point. Cat N will cost you no more on insurance as an ordinary car. Same as a cat D here, makes no difference to insurance. It's non structural.
    That's not even a question car insurance companies ask here when your insuring a car, you've literally made that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Model S 85 for sale in the Tesla owners UK group on facebook for £27950. Includes a chademo adapter.
    Pretty good deal, car looks great (except probably no AP)

Any links to it outside of Facebook? They want a Tesla VIN to join which I sadly don't have yet :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Of course you'll get insurance. At worst you might need an engineers cert which I doubt for a cat N.
    I don't think it's on the logbook just on an insurance database.

It will be recorded on the log book if its brought into Ireland. Old Cat D's used to be as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Your completely wrong on that point. Cat N will cost you no more on insurance as an ordinary car. Same as a cat D here, makes no difference to insurance. It's non structural.
    That's not even a question car insurance companies ask here when your insuring a car, you've literally made that up.
    Oh.

I must have dreamed being asked it so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ltd440

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/152-nissan-leaf/23016093
    152 basic spec leaf
    asking 9k
    terrible ad

• Advertisement

Oh.

I must have dreamed being asked it so. :rolleyes:

It's going to cause crazy insurance premiums if that's something you need to prove for EV insurance.
    I've got a few quotes on a Tesla and haven't been asked was there an insurance claim before on the car. It's an odd question. They always ask have you had an insurance claim, maybe that's why your thinking of.

It's going to cause crazy insurance premiums if that's something you need to prove for EV insurance.
    I've got a few quotes on a Tesla and haven't been asked was there an insurance claim before on the car. It's an odd question. They always ask have you had an insurance claim, maybe that's why your thinking of.
    No, they specified "car written off or any structural damage" when i was asking to add cars to my policy. They ask this every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I wonder how attainable these prices are. GBP28k for an out of warranty 2014 RWD car without AP1 (very undesirable for a Tesla) in a private sale with zero come back, while you can have a 2016 face lift model Tesla CPO car (with AWD, so a lot faster acceleration) with warranty and AP1 for GBP10k more? In your personal case you got a 90D, which was exceptional value for money, but I have since seen a few 75D for similar money

Makes the former look poor value for money, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Moving on my Ioniq if anybody is looking for a bargain. Details here.

• Advertisement

No, they specified "car written off or any structural damage" when i was asking to add cars to my policy. They ask this every time.

You implied that people wouldn't be able to Insure that Tesla or if they did it would have an extra loading. That is completely incorrect. Next time you asked answer yes it's a Cat N and you'll see it makes no odds.
    A car can end up cat N and have no damage at all. Courtesy car and storage fees could be enough to write off a car.

Not sure if this is a bargain but call your insurance company and see what they say https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-2016-rex-94ah-cat-n-salvage/23884793

It's a bargain thread you shouldn't just dismiss a bargain over a misconception you have.

You implied that people wouldn't be able to Insure that Tesla or if they did it would have an extra loading. That is completely incorrect. Next time you asked answer yes it's a Cat N and you'll see it makes no odds.
    A car can end up cat N and have no damage at all. Courtesy car and storage fees could be enough to write off a car.

Not sure if this is a bargain but call your insurance company and see what they say https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-2016-rex-94ah-cat-n-salvage/23884793

It's a bargain thread you shouldn't just dismiss a bargain over a misconception you have.
    I'm not the one with a misconception, I know what has happened to me every time I've gotten an insurance quote. I'm tired of this nonsense back and forth and won't comment on it again.

Back to bargains!

What did those 50k cost in electricity?

What did those 50k cost in electricity?

I typically average around 14KwH/100km (in sport mode, with AC), and do 99% of my charging at home on night rate, so back-of-napkin:

52000 KM = 7,280KwH * Energia night rate (0.0762) = €555 😲

I'm similar enough but I also had a few mega watt hours for free courtesy of mostly Just Energy (:D) and to a lesser extent my local fast charger

My first year in my Ioniq cost me about €20 in electricity :D:D:D

I'm not the one with a misconception

Cat N has no loading just embrace the bargain they can be. That particular Tesla isn't a savage enough deal. No point ruling out cat N from the bargain thread. I'm always scouting copart for a Tesla but there few and far between. There's an N leaf starting and driving, purely cosmetic, https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/59017559

I'm pretty sure economic write offs have no bearing in insurance quotes either. But maybe someone should ring their insurer and ask about above car? :)

unkel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure economic write offs have no bearing in insurance quotes either. But maybe someone should ring their insurer and ask about above car? :)

My sister is one...:) It won't require and engineer's report and won't be extra loading. Being an EV gets and extra loading though, there was only €50 in the difference between me insuring a leaf and model s p90.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I wonder how attainable these prices are. GBP28k for an out of warranty 2014 RWD car without AP1 (very undesirable for a Tesla) in a private sale with zero come back, while you can have a 2016 face lift model Tesla CPO car (with AWD, so a lot faster acceleration) with warranty and AP1 for GBP10k more? In your personal case you got a 90D, which was exceptional value for money, but I have since seen a few 75D for similar money

Makes the former look poor value for money, doesn't it?

Not if your budget is less than £30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

The leather makes such a difference to the interior of those cars!

GLWTS.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    The leather makes such a difference to the interior of those cars!

GLWTS.

Thanks! Was very annoyed at the time I was buying that the Premium SE spec wasn't offered, so had the dealer fit the leather before taking delivery.

I wonder how attainable these prices are. GBP28k for an out of warranty 2014 RWD car without AP1 (very undesirable for a Tesla) in a private sale with zero come back, while you can have a 2016 face lift model Tesla CPO car (with AWD, so a lot faster acceleration) with warranty and AP1 for GBP10k more?

Seemingly they haven't delivered a used one since November and there's no used ones on their website.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-website-used-inventory-gone.180778/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not the one with a misconception, I know what has happened to me every time I've gotten an insurance quote. I'm tired of this nonsense back and forth and won't comment on it again.

Back to bargains!

The question doesn't mean what you think it means.

Damage classifications were updated a few years ago. All new categories.

Write as they put it means write off

Seemingly they haven't delivered a used one since November and there's no used ones on their website.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-website-used-inventory-gone.180778/
    I must have been one of the last to collect, October 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

Cheap new home charger. Type 2 tethered. Sale price 300 euro. I am not sure on reliability but for that price you could buy two. It should be installed by someone competent and capable and if you have an instant shower you may need a priority switch. If your electrician orders it he may be able to claim vat back

https://euracharge.com/duosida-ses32-mini-EV-charging-point-32a-74kw-tethered-type-2

EUR363 including VAT. Not that cheap for an unknown charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭User1998

I ordered that a while ago and had it installed. Needed a priority switch because of my shower. Think it was €800 all in and I’m just waiting on my €600 grant

Bargain?

2017 Model S 75, AutoPilot, facelift model (they do look a lot fresher), under Tesla warranty, I doubt they'd refuse GBP40k

3b0cccb9423a4f00a3a81836571b4287.jpg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could have at least dried the car . Crap wash jobs like that make the paint look crap.

And cleaned the seats

• Advertisement

Yeah, seats (and carpet!) in the back are pretty bad. A GBP100 valet would have sorted the lot out.

That said, I usually look beyond superficial stuff like that. The car is still under Tesla warranty, which is far more important, especially now we know you should be able to get an MCU1 replacement out of them by the tiniest sign of anything wrong.

Advertisement