Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,213 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Facelift 2016 S75 with AP1 and 2 years warranty for GBP36.8k is a bit better:

Linky

Or a 2017 S75 with AP1 and 4 years warranty for GBP41.3k, tempting!!!! :D

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Ah jasus,

This thread might end up costing me a fortune :P

Was there any reason there were no Tesla CPO cars for ages, and now overnight there are like 40 of them.

Would anyone look into a crystal ball and predict the best time to get a UK import Model S in 2020 in terms of value.

My thinking is wait until March when there'll be more for sale and make a low ball offer on a few private ones that aren't moving.

I'd be looking at an absolute max of 33k sterling for budget, but would love a 2016 auto piliot one. Not sure that's realistic for 2020 depreciation?

The cheapest 2016 one without auto piliot is 32k so might not be too far off later in the year?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001226445578

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

BigAl81 wrote: »

The cheapest 2016 one without auto piliot is 32k so might not be too far off later in the year?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001226445578

That car has AP1 hardware.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and how the seller can call a 3/4 year old car with 132k miles on it as "barely used"...….

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I still haven't heard how much Tesla (UK or Ireland) charges to enable AP1 on a second hand car?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    GBP41.3k, tempting!!!! :D

Until the missus pointed out to me that Sterling is so strong that that's actually €49k

Plus the cost of getting it here. And the VRT. And then you have a car that looks like it has 4 years warranty, but even for a low mileage driver like myself, the 7k remaining miles on the warranty will be up by then end of this year :(

I guess I will have to aim lower. And wait.

I guess a brand new 2021 Tesla Model Y for a touch over €50k is starting to look good value. These second hand Model S need to come down a lot more to tempt me away from the wait for the more sensible choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

I guess a brand new 2021 Tesla Model Y for a touch over €50k is starting to look good value. These second hand Model S need to come down a lot more to tempt me away from the wait for the more sensible choice.

Do you think they will be around 50k? I’d have expected it to be closer to 60k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yep, I am told the Y will be in Ireland 2022 (7 seats 2023). Looks a very appealing package and will likely sell like hotcakes. I would say at the rate of change the EV landscape in ireland will be quite different by then, but ATM I am with you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

MM3 wrote: »
    Do you think they will be around 50k? I’d have expected it to be closer to 60k

I’d be thinking €10k more than Model 3 too. I’d doubt €50k will happen, if it does Model 3 will need to drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

KCross wrote: »
    I’d be thinking €10k more than Model 3 too. I’d doubt €50k will happen, if it does Model 3 will need to drop.

If it is built in the German gigafactory, there there will be no 10% import tariff (which is actually applied before VRT and VAT), so it really should be around the price of the US imported Model 3.

Yep, I am told the Y will be in Ireland 2022 (7 seats 2023).

We all know at this stage that promised dates from Tesla are pretty meaningless, you normally need to add a year or two :D

But in this case Model Y deliveries will start in a matter of weeks, far earlier than was promised. Granted if the Model Y we are getting has to come from the German GF, it won't be in 2021, or at least not early 2021 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Humm,

Got an insurance quote for a 2016 Tesla Model S 85... €1,350!! Ouch. I'll have to shop around, but that was the only quote easily available online.

My current insurance is 550 fully comp. This may eat into the "bargain" if my insurance goes up so much ;(

Don't ever just get quotes online. And don't ever sign up with cowboys like 123.ie and liberty. A good broker should be able to get you a quote that's as low or lower than you will be able to get yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ray o

Don't ever just get quotes online. And don't ever sign up with cowboys like 123.ie and liberty. A good broker should be able to get you a quote that's as low or lower than you will be able to get yourself.

Do you have recommendation for a good broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Ah jasus,

This thread might end up costing me a fortune :P

Was there any reason there were no Tesla CPO cars for ages, and now overnight there are like 40 of them.

They couldn't invoice for cars since December so the whole process stopped. People with December purchases started getting calls yesterday.

ray o wrote: »
    Do you have recommendation for a good broker?

I used to be with the broker Frank Glennon for years, got very reasonable quotes for performance saloons (V8 petrol BMWs), that I could not match myself despite ringing every insurance company and broker in the book. Over the years several other people on the motors forum with fairly serious cars reported the same good quotes from Glennons. All years ago though, but give them a try.

Humm,

Got an insurance quote for a 2016 Tesla Model S 85... €1,350!! Ouch. I'll have to shop around, but that was the only quote easily available online.

My current insurance is 550 fully comp. This may eat into the "bargain" if my insurance goes up so much ;(

I've been using Aviva directly the past few years for myself andy wife.
    Hands down the cheapest for me.

I pay 325 for fully comp on my 171 Leaf

One for the brave. Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012. New battery. Battery Owned. €2,850

No fast charging on these, but with the new battery should get a real life range of about 70-100km

MmIzM2ZkYmI5MTM1MjQxMzExYmNlOGM4ZWEwYzE2ODfgwNvdYzfokPQO6YOeeKW_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDA2MTA5NTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Linky

cough cough, goes into limp mode occasionally - how bad can that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,350 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One for the brave. Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012. New battery. Battery Owned. €2,850

No fast charging on these, but with the new battery should get a real life range of about 70-100km

MmIzM2ZkYmI5MTM1MjQxMzExYmNlOGM4ZWEwYzE2ODfgwNvdYzfokPQO6YOeeKW_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDA2MTA5NTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Linky

cough cough, goes into limp mode occasionally - how bad can that be?

GOES INTO LIMP HOME MODE OCCASIONALLY HENCE PRICE!!

Even at that price it would be a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If it was easily fixable ,it'd be fixed already ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,211 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's he mean by limp home mode? Is he basically saying the car randomly goes into turtle mode even with a well charged battery?

Not so much turtle mode, which is a well defined restricted battery use mode brought on by a certain low battery level. More a general limp mode, triggered by the system when it detects serious errors and restricts the car to just bring you to a safe place a short distance away at very restricted speeds

Could be anything really. From a glitch, fixed by a computer "reboot", to far more serious failures. Do I have the balls to buy this car? I sure don't :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Mickeroo wrote:
    What's he mean by limp home mode? Is he basically saying the car randomly goes into turtle mode even with a well charged battery?

It seems so, obviously a significant electrical issue. Maybe it could be used for parts, not the most popular EV though..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,211 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole in that case.

What size battery is in those yokes? Might be an option for home storage for those with PV set ups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Mickeroo wrote:
    I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole in that case.

Mickeroo wrote:
    What size battery is in those yokes? Might be an option for home storage for those with PV set ups.

That's what I'd be thinking too. Strip it down and use the battery separately. They're 22KW.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If it wasnt for the issue that would be outside my house already.
    2k for the lolz is fine with no battery lease to pay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That guy needs to strip the battery out and flog separate, then just scrap/parts the car itself

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slave1 wrote: »
    That guy needs to strip the battery out and flog separate, then just scrap/parts the car itself
    Absolutely.
    I saw on FB the other day someone had built a homemade powerwall from leaf battery cells for 4k!

Advertisement