Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

User1998 wrote: »
    Yeah who would spend 5k on that when you could get a leaf for slightly more. Its adapted for disabled drivers but surely this would decrease the value further for most* buyers

*able body buyers

Yeah, I remember watching this before I got my leaf about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

listermint wrote: »
    I remember this thread used to have cheap EVs in it

Been a while since there was such a thing as a cheap EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

krissovo wrote: »
    Been a while since there was such a thing as a cheap EV.
    I've posted a few bargains recently. But yeah the prices have been going up recently.

If I were buying now and wanted a bargain EV without compromise I'd buy the 20k white Ioniq for 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 64,836 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    If I were buying now and wanted a bargain EV without compromise I'd buy the 20k white Ioniq for 20k

Or if that's way out of budget, a 2014 Leaf for EUR9-10k. Or if you can stretch further, a brand new eGolf for EUR29k. None of them real bargains, but the best value EVs in their price classes at the moment imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

I went to an electrical supplier and bought 15m of blue 2.5 and a quality single outdoor socket, then made up my own extension lead for the granny charger. It wasn't expensive either.
    Do you mean 2.5 mm2?
    How did you make it exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

McGiver wrote: »
    Do you mean 2.5 mm2?
    How did you make it exactly?

Just a 3 pin plug one end and a heavy duty trailing single socket at the other. I soldered the stripped tips of the cable for a better contact with the terminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I've read elsewhere the 3 pin plug on the granny charger is quite big and not all socket covers will fit it, did you have any issues with it.
    Was thinking of doing something similar myself as have power sockets out the back so could run an extension down the side passage to save having to get new socket installed. Plan getting proper ev charger down the line anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I've read elsewhere the 3 pin plug on the granny charger is quite big and not all socket covers will fit it, did you have any issues with it.
    Was thinking of doing something similar myself as have power sockets out the back so could run an extension down the side passage to save having to get new socket installed. Plan getting proper ev charger down the line anyway.

It’s just as big as any other plug...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

peposhi wrote: »
    It’s just as big as any other plug...

Agreed, just checked mine and its the same size as a normal plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

cruizer101 wrote: »

Yes some granny household plugs are larger than normal. 2 reasons, 1 they have a temperature sensor to check the plug is not overheating or more likely the socket on the wall is old and is overheating which may be detected by the plug pins getting hot, and 2 they make the plugs extra rugged to survive outdoor dragging abuse.

According to here:
    https://www.toughleads.co.uk/collections/ev-electric-vehicle-extension-leads
    BMW, Jaguar, Nissan and Tesla are now using extra large plugs which need a larger waterproof socket on the extension lead. Note granny leads have temperature sensors, extension leads do not, so try to not use an extension lead if possible on an old unknown socket, and try charge for a few hours while you are awake before you sleep in case the wall socket overheats and starts a fire. I have had plugs welded on to sockets before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

https://www.beshoffmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=2447602&r=%26z%3D9

No idea if this is good value or not but.

Nice car, but at €16k not a bargain in my book. That said, these early i3 60Ah have held their value or have even gone up in value in the UK over the last year or two. Minimum over there is close enough to GBP11k (over EUR13k landed). If I were considering spending €16k on an early i3, I'd up my budget by a few grand and get a later model 2016 with the bigger 94Ah battery.

http://www.merlin.ie/details?listingid=a49ba94e-3823-ea11-80e1-0026b9533b61

This is up tomorrow morning, would be interesting to see what the trade value is
    It's not a rex, wonder if it is CCS enabled?

Presuming it has CCS, it shouldn't go for more than €12k (incl. all costs), but hey, it's the Irish auctions. Only auction on earth were sold as seen cars can go for more than retail :D

A bargain basement high mileage i3 without CCS would suit me down to the ground. Wouldn't pay more than about €8k for one though...

Reminds me of many, many years ago, there was a Romanian family renting a house in my cul-de-sac. Seemed to be an extended family with a couple, small child and his or her parents. Father and son(in law) and another lad spent months trying to get a VW caddy van to run in their spare time. Not successfully. At one point I found the receipt from Merlin auctions in my garden. It said "sold as seen" on it :D

They are all sold as seen, that's why you should set a price and bid only to that. I've bought (and sold) a fair few cars there in the past. Most for below 500 quid. Some ran for 50k km with no issues at all, others fell apart on the way back from some drifting (on private land) and failed the NCT with a 2 page fail sheet!

If you know what auctions to hit and what to look for you can play "the book" well on the law of averages - but make sure you have AA cover!

Buying EVs however is a different notion, I would happily buy an EV sight unseen at an auction once I could verify it was driving and that it was the spec I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

unkel wrote: »
    Presuming it has CCS, it shouldn't go for more than €12k (incl. all costs), but hey, it's the Irish auctions. Only auction on earth were sold as seen cars can go for more than retail :D

A bargain basement high mileage i3 without CCS would suit me down to the ground. Wouldn't pay more than about €8k for one though...

Wonder what degradation is like after 162,000km?

90%?

Only got 18.8kWh useable brand new, 100km range

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Wonder what degradation is like after 162,000km?

90%?

Only got 18.8kWh useable brand new, 100km range

EPA range when new was 81 miles or 130km. You're right about the 18.8kWh usable.

From what I've read the i3 battery looks to degrade less than any other EV battery, but still 90% after 5 years and over 100k miles is optimistic. Let's say 85%

85% * 130km = 111km non motorway range. Which would be plenty for me as a local car without the need for CCS fast charging

Calculated another way, 85% * 18.8kWh = 16kWh usable (after degradation), so for 111km you'd need to average 14.4kWh/100km which looks very doable to me (with a little bit of care in winter) again not driving on any 120km/h motorway

In other words, easily a 100km range car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    From what I've read the i3 battery looks to degrade less than any other EV battery, but still 90% after 5 years and over 100k miles is optimistic. Let's say 85%

Thats not particularly good though, is it?

My own Leaf, which is coming up on 5yrs now, is at 85%. And the Leaf is considered the worst.

Yes I'd say it would be a lot better than that.
    Leafs are the known and observed worst case for deg.
    I3 is known to be pretty good, like Zoe/Tesla/Hyundai

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Thats not particularly good though, is it?

My own Leaf, which is coming up on 5yrs now, is at 85%. And the Leaf is considered the worst.

Surely you don't have anywhere near 162k km on yours?

But yeah, 85% might be a tad pessimistic, even with that mileage. I remain 90% is a bit optimistic though. When buying a second hand car, I typically use pessimistic rather than optimistic estimates, for a more prudent approach.

unkel wrote:
    Surely you don't have anywhere near 162k km on yours?

I have 145k on my 151 leaf. 85%

Although, having said that, I did a100km round trip last night with 15% left on GOM. Not sure how accurate the 85% is..

tedpan wrote: »
    Although, having said that, I did a100km round trip last night with 15% left on GOM. Not sure how accurate the 85% is..
    it's a best guess based on several parameters and is not 100% accurate.

ELM327 wrote:
    it's a best guess based on several parameters and is not 100% accurate.

Exactly, my point was, I was getting 120kms max when it was new. Not much has changed on the range in nearly 5 years of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've posted a few bargains recently. But yeah the prices have been going up recently.

Is there a link to this one?

Sub 20k Ioniq from a second hand car dealer. Not white either. Black and with the grille wrapped. Best value Ioniq here or in the UK. Owned (previously) by any one in here? The dealer sticker price is about 2k too cheap if you ask me.

If you're in the market, get it quick

110k km, so might have a little bit of battery degradation, wouldn't worry me though, given the 8 year battery warranty (and another 2 years of full Hyundai warranty left)

ZWU3MWU1MWNmMGU2NzUzOTBhNjY2OWI3MTZkMmQzY2JH49e4UttMxEIWiixgugf1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzgzMjkwMzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ad up for 17 days.

Surely she’d be gone at this stage if everything checked out?

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Soarer wrote: »
    Ad up for 17 days.

Milage likely scaring a few off. Battery longevity etc

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Ad up for 17 days.

I didn't spot it before and nobody else in here did. That most likely means it was advertised at a higher price previously.

Everything doesn't need to check out, over 2 years manufacturers warranty left.

Advertisement