Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If I'm buying a €30k Tesla, an extra €5k is a huge expense. I'll just have to make sure that whatever Model S I buy, will have working AP. Or it's a deal breaker.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Have to agree with unk. No one wants to buy a Tesla and have it feel like buying a ryanair flight. Add on after add on.

I don't mind little things - My last car I added all OEM sat nav, reversing camera, door warning lights, footwell lights, chrome pack, and im sure some other stuff, but it relatively cheap to install, and with some dodgy VCDS I could code it all up myself.

I'd buy a Tesla for the cool tech, the great range, the user focused experience. Buying one without the tech is just buying it for the badge.

Does a non AP Tesla have any LKA or would it just have cruise control?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have to agree with unk. No one wants to buy a Tesla and have it feel like buying a ryanair flight. Add on after add on.

I don't mind little things - My last car I added all OEM sat nav, reversing camera, door warning lights, footwell lights, chrome pack, and im sure some other stuff, but it relatively cheap to install, and with some dodgy VCDS I could code it all up myself.

I'd buy a Tesla for the cool tech, the great range, the user focused experience. Buying one without the tech is just buying it for the badge.

Does a non AP Tesla have any LKA or would it just have cruise control?

Tesla with no AP has only dumb cruise control.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Tesla with no AP has only dumb cruise control.

I'll keep my 2/3 tesla for 1/3 the price Ioniq for now so. LKA in the Ioniq is pretty great to be fair. Must bring a tennis ball on my drive tomorrow.

LKA in the Ioniq is pretty great to be fair. Must bring a tennis ball on my drive tomorrow.

Tennis ball? To do the same that a sock with some coins, or my preferred method, a half full bottle of water, can do with LKAS?

Show us some pictures if so, that tennis ball method is new to me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

unkel wrote:
    Tennis ball? To do the same that a sock with some coins, or my preferred method, a half full bottle of water, can do with LKAS?

In all seriousness lads, and trying to avoid coming across as a complete boring risk adverse prick....but if an airbag is deployed and there is a bottle of water or a sock with coins between the bag and your head then the results might be unpleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

My Model S has no AP or LKAS hardware or software (142 reg) To be honest I have never driven a car with anything above cruise control. My past cars were mostly BMWs: e39 523i, 525i and M5, the last was a chipped e60 520d M Sport spec. I assume judging by comments on this forum that it will be hard to go back after owning a car with driver aids. As a Model 3 reservation holder (invoice No 33) I look forward to having AP and LKAS soon. However, even without such driving aids my Model S is by far the best car I have ever owned or driven and that includes friends Porches and BMW M3's. Don't let the absence of AP etc put you off buying a Tesla, they are still an awesome machine.

unkel wrote: »

Show us some pictures if so, that tennis ball method is new to me :p

I tried the bottle method twice. Worked for me once. I'll steal a ball from my daughter this morning and see how that goes.

As for the airbag situation, the ball/bottle isn't between airbag and driver. Airbags ain't comfortable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Tbh All this talk of LKA and AP is grand if you regularly drive roads that are well lined. A fair percentage of the roads I drive on are have fairly feck all lines or markings.

In all seriousness lads, and trying to avoid coming across as a complete boring risk adverse prick....but if an airbag is deployed and there is a bottle of water or a sock with coins between the bag and your head then the results might be unpleasant

That's actually a good point. I don't know about the tennis ball method, but the bottle is mostly on the underside of the steering wheel, so most likely will be forced down through the steering wheel by the airbag exploding. But there might be a slight chance the top bit would be ripped off and forced sideways towards the passenger side

A sock with coins hangs entirely on the underside of the steering wheel so that would possibly be safer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

That's actually a good point. I don't know about the tennis ball method, but the bottle is mostly on the underside of the steering wheel, so most likely will be forced down through the steering wheel by the airbag exploding. But there might be a slight chance the top bit would be ripped off and forced sideways towards the passenger side

A sock with coins hangs entirely on the underside of the steering wheel so that would possibly be safer

I wonder would your insurance company pay out if your crash with said sock or tennis ball attached to the wheel, unless of course you disclose this ‘modification’ to them. Can’t see the Gardaí taking too kindly to such a modification either

I’ve AP myself and would not trust it on Irish road with poor / inconsistent lane markings, I find some exit roads on motorways can catch it out for example. I find it’s great as a driver aid but I’d never dream of modifying the system to turn it into fully autonomous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

….

Or it could be smashed full force into your 'nads !! :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

jprboy wrote: »
    Or it could be smashed full force into your 'nads !! :eek:

Future line from article when reporting on the incident

' The value of the coins was low, but it turned out to be a costly mistake'

Don't worry lads I'm only speculating :p

I do very little sustained motorway driving and when I do I mostly have the family on board, so not using enhanced autopilot methods :pac:

Ball didn't work. Tbh, the bottle was only effective maybe 30% of the time. I'll have another go on the way home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Ball didn't work. Tbh, the bottle was only effective maybe 30% of the time. I'll have another go on the way home

Sorry, ignorant here. What’s the bottle and ball thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Sorry, ignorant here. What’s the bottle and ball thing?

Ioniq beeps after 12 seconds if no hands detected on wheel. If the driver wedges a have empty bottle of water of something
    Similar into the steering wheel it should create some movement and trick the car into thinking that there are hands on wheel

Ioniq beeps after 12 seconds if no hands detected on wheel. If the driver wedges a have empty bottle of water of something
    Similar into the steering wheel it should create some movement and trick the car into thinking that there are hands on wheel
    A safety feature override, good luck with explaining that to the insurance company, if there is a crash due to lane wandering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

13amp extension lead, £5, Amazon AddOn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004I5BQ1A

6e9ef1ee-3639-4d4d-bfb1-132eee0db99a.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

• Advertisement

Is it movement or pressure/grip on the steering wheel? Might explain why I've not been having success of late. Bottle is empty, thus light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

you need to half fill it, momentum from the water moving will act the same as hands on the wheel, but water has no ability to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is it movement or pressure/grip on the steering wheel? Might explain why I've not been having success of late. Bottle is empty, thus light

It is rotation of the wheel, a force trying to turn the wheel or possibly even hold it straight when the car makes adjustments. My biggest issue with this is that the LKA turns off with no warning at low speeds, which even with both hands on the wheel can be a problem in slowing motorway traffic. I do not really trust it at all, but it does reduce driver fatigue on motorways.

LKAS in Ioniq is auto on over 60km/h and auto off when you go below 60km/h again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I remember this thread used to have cheap EVs in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

From personal experience... don't use anything with cable less than 1.5 square for a granny charger extension. It gets hot.

I went to an electrical supplier and bought 15m of blue 2.5 and a quality single outdoor socket, then made up my own extension lead for the granny charger. It wasn't expensive either.

Outdoor extension leads, particularly garden type ones, are for running electric strimmers etc., not for carrying the load of a granny charger for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Never saw one of these before

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23504244

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

User1998 wrote:
    Never saw one of these before

They were a flop, very slow in comparison to the leaf. 5k seems pricey too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

tedpan wrote: »
    They were a flop, very slow in comparison to the leaf. 5k seems pricey too

Yeah who would spend 5k on that when you could get a leaf for slightly more. Its adapted for disabled drivers but surely this would decrease the value further for most* buyers

*able body buyers

Advertisement