Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah the questionnaire is a big problem. Some people are very good at doing that type of test and if your mate does it for you, it's never tested again.

I think it's been said in here before but if you do really well on the verbal at home and not so good on the questionnaire, then there's only one way you're going in the ranking when you resit the 2 tests. Someone who has a good score on questionnaire but not verbal, can practice verbal and have a second go at it.

You can get a mate to sit the questionnaire and then cheat at the verbal and numeric(screenshots). The margins are so tight between candidates there should be a completely new set of questionnaire and verbal/numeric tests at stage2 Far too many cheat it's a joke. There was a Poster that repeatedly asked is it the same set of questions for stage2 who topped his region, I wonder why?

A cattlecall in the RDS would sort this out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Computer

Well either it's a mistake on their part or you ticked the Interdepartmental box when applying. You're only eligible for the open.

I don't recall ticking a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Chase3 wrote: »
    I don't recall ticking a box.
    There were 2 boxes when applying asking which streams you're applying for. Open or Interdepartmental. Interdepartmental is only for current Civil Servants at a grade below EO.

I can't remember if there was also Irish and Internal options this time.

Anyway, 400 or so inter, which is a mistake. And 1217 open. No chance to improve as I had a 41 on questionnaire. Didn't get it at all really. Any chance?? Any odds? I don't know anything about the process or past rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Anyway, 400 or so inter, which is a mistake. And 1217 open. No chance to improve as I had a 41 on questionnaire. Didn't get it at all really. Any chance?? Any odds? I don't know anything about the process or past rounds.

If you're in Dublin I'd say you will stand a very good chance provided you get through stage 2 and 3.
    If you are holding out for any other regions I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Why would you apply for EO if you're already an EO? Or did you mean you're a CO?

It usually states in the Information Booklet that you must meet the eligibility criteria by the application date.

Did anyone save the Information Booklet? I can't find it through Google.

I can answer your question on salary if you clarify if you're currently a CO or EO.

Actually, I'll answer it now. If you're CO you won't be at the first point for EO yet.

If you're an EO, you're not eligible for this competition.

I'm an EO, applied again to give me the option of changing location as there are CS depts closer to my home, so for family reasons it would be more convenient. I know there is a DPER pilot mobility scheme starting up soon but it may take a while before it is extended to the entire country.

Are EO's not eligible for this competition? I thought as it was an open completion you wouldn't be excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I am through and got a similar low 40's in the questionnaire. I don't understand why I scored so low in this. Is it possible we didn't click properly on a few questions and skipped them inadvertingly?

If you're in Dublin I'd say you will stand a very good chance provided you get through stage 2 and 3.
    If you are holding out for any other regions I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Thanks, I'm Dublin yeah. So I should I let them know about the inter or just ignore it?

Are EO's not eligible for this competition? I thought as it was an open completion you wouldn't be excluded.
    Well technically yes. But it may be seen as you quiting one job and taking up another as you're not just moving location. You would have to ask DPER if you have to start on the first point again.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Thanks, I'm Dublin yeah. So I should I let them know about the inter or just ignore it?

I'd let them know if I was you.
    They'll just take you off that list and it won't affect your placing in the open comp.
    Better to do it now than to get an offer on inter d panel in 6-12 months time and PAS find out at that point you aren't eligible. If they wasted time and effort on a candidate that can't be placed it might annoy them... It would annoy me if I was doing that job!

• Advertisement

doc11 wrote: »
    What was your total score 128? amazing placing out of 15000

Did they say 15,000 did the tests?

VONSHIRACH wrote: »

I guessed. There was 13500 last time. With the CO there was an increase in applicants so I presume this is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

I got 64 in numerical n 53 in verbal but only got 43 in questionnaire but yet got in 7000 for open and 2600 for inter comp. So unfair the way the numerical is not added to your score as for the questionnaire. I must have answered it completely wrong and I totally agree with other posters that if called to stage 2 you should have to sit something similar again. The whole system is a joke. Got to number 3 on the last EO panel n it closed

I guessed. There was 13500 last time. With the CO there was an increase in applicants so I presume this is similar.

What score in verbal did you have to get through with a low questionnaire? sounds near impossible? 70ish

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

I don't recall reading about it but some people have mentioned that the next set of tests may run 2 hours.  Is this true?  Are these tests also timed?  Anyone know?

s15r330 wrote: »
    I just applied for the craic, got 1217 with scores of 65, 48 and 48!
    Dunno would I even take it if I progressed through the other stages.
    In the middle of a training contract with a big4 accounting firm, this time next year i'll be on a good bit more than the EO salary with my final exams this August.
    That is true, but you won't have the flexi-time! Is it still allowed to bring books into those exams?

Just to be clear too, our assessment score doesn't change, right?  So do they add up your new score from Verb/Num to the assessment, or do they average out both test scores?  Seems so inept to ask people to sit another numerical test and consider that score for the next merit of order placing, yet not consider your first numerical score in the first set of tests.

I am through and got a similar low 40's in the questionnaire. I don't understand why I scored so low in this. Is it possible we didn't click properly on a few questions and skipped them inadvertingly?

I just think I did terrible. I had no idea what they wanted aside from the obvious. Is asking a supervisor good? Is delegating good? I have no idea.

What score in verbal did you have to get through with a low questionnaire? sounds near impossible? 70ish

Correct, I aced the verbal.:D I thought it was easy.

Correct, I aced the verbal.:D I thought it was easy.

Practice much to get a score like that, congratulations anyway

• Advertisement

caarp wrote: »
    Just to be clear too, our assessment score doesn't change, right? So do they add up your new score from Verb/Num to the assessment, or do they average out both test scores? Seems so inept to ask people to sit another numerical test and consider that score for the next merit of order placing, yet not consider your first numerical score in the first set of tests.
    After the re-test the scores used to decide your place is your questionnaire and the score from the 2nd verbal.

You also need to pass the numerical 2nd time but again, it doesn't count towards your score.

Obviously there are people who cheat, but it is the flawed process which allows the questionnaire to be accessed over a period of time by friends who apply and screenshot etc for discussion. As this questionnaire stage is not asked again, it matters not if your best friend helps you with this, it gets you up the rankings and into the next stage. The cheaters would be beaten if the unsupervised tests at home etc had to be done by everyone at a 9am start on a specified date with a time limit for the questionnaire. If you are serious about a career at this you will then have to take leave to do this test.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭newstarts

658 on open, I got 218 in interdepartmental but am curr on co probation and on review it would appear I must discount myself based on criteria, am going to contact PAS in the mornin as I don't want to waste anyone's time!! Any one know timeline on when we can be expected to get called for round two??

Practice much to get a score like that, congratulations anyway

the verbal is all practice yes, I won't be losing the head though, I am just about into stage 2.

newstarts wrote: »
    658 on open, I got 218 in interdepartmental but am curr on co probation and on review it would appear I must discount myself based on criteria, am going to contact PAS in the mornin as I don't want to waste anyone's time!! Any one know timeline on when we can be expected to get called for round two??
    I'd guess you'd be in a month or two. You are ok in the open, but interdepartmental is 2 years service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Anyone know what days they run the tests and how many people they take a day?

I am so ****ed if I'm called next week. I genuinely cannot get time off work :(

Of all the weeks. Do PAS show any flexibility?

Just to be clear too, our assessment score doesn't change, right?  So do they add up your new score from Verb/Num to the assessment, or do they average out both test scores?  Seems so inept to ask people to sit another numerical test and consider that score for the next merit of order placing, yet not consider your first numerical score in the first set of tests.
    After the re-test the scores used to decide your place is your questionnaire and the score from the 2nd verbal.

You also need to pass the numerical 2nd time but again, it doesn't count towards your score.
    Thanks Wheety.  Appreciate your response.
    Wow, it's really crazy, isn't it?  The numerical is just pass/fail and doesn't count at all.  Better get practicing on those verbal ones again.  Wonder if you're called into the tests based on merit placing or last name?  Were you successful yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Wonder if you're called into the tests based on merit placing or last name?  Were you successful yourself?

They call you in order of merit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

Hi all,

I made it through to the next stage. Reading through the posts someone mentioned that if you are currently in the civil service and you are successful then you could stay in your current office.

I'm a CO right now, but I was only eligible to apply for the open competition. If I were successful, would I have the option of staying in my current office or how does it work?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭newstarts

Hi all,

I made it through to the next stage. Reading through the posts someone mentioned that if you are currently in the civil service and you are successful then you could stay in your current office.

I'm a CO right now, but I was only eligible to apply for the open competition. If I were successful, would I have the option of staying in my current office or how does it work?

Thanks!

Am the same..am on probation u?

Advertisement