Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Hi all,

I made it through to the next stage. Reading through the posts someone mentioned that if you are currently in the civil service and you are successful then you could stay in your current office.

I'm a CO right now, but I was only eligible to apply for the open competition. If I were successful, would I have the option of staying in my current office or how does it work?

Thanks!

Don't know the process but I get the feeling that if someone high up likes you you might. I know of a girl who was a TCO in a department and got high up in the CO comp and they managed to keep her on

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

I've passed probation, but I didn't have the two years of service by the closing date, so I could only apply for the open, shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

Hi all,

I made it through to the next stage. Reading through the posts someone mentioned that if you are currently in the civil service and you are successful then you could stay in your current office.

I'm a CO right now, but I was only eligible to apply for the open competition. If I were successful, would I have the option of staying in my current office or how does it work?

Thanks!
    I know where i work they try hard to hold on to people if it's possible but they can't keep you if there's no positions available. There's also ratios that they need to keep ie. so many from the open and so many from the interdepartmental

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

caarp wrote: »
     Wonder if you're called into the tests based on merit placing or last name?  Were you successful yourself?

They call you in order of merit! :)
    Cheers Teapot.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

One other question, the CO panel didn't have an e-tray exercise as part of the process. Is that definitely part of the EO assessment? At what point in the process do they run that, before interview stage or after? What does it involve and is there anywhere online you can practice? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Finished 1052 in the order or merit. So through to the next stage.

Feel like I'm fighting with just one hand though because my questionnaire result sucked. 42 in it, 72 in the verbal and 57 in the numerical.

The 42 feels a bit like an anchor weighing down any score I get but it's the same questionaire for everyone I suppose.

kwestfan08 wrote: »

Feel like I'm fighting with just one hand though because my questionnaire result sucked. 42 in it, 72 in the verbal and 57 in the numerical.

The 42 feels a bit like an anchor weighing down any score I get but it's the same questionaire for everyone I suppose.
    This is interesting.  Here are my scores and I was placed in the same order of merit as you:
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] been placed 1052 on the order of merit. [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The maximum score for each test is 80[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your scores in the tests are as follows:[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Assessment Questionnaire                                               
    Your Score     52      Qualifying Score                   40

Verbal Reasoning                                                       
    Your Score     62      Qualifying Score                   40

Numerical Reasoning                                                    
    Your Score     55      Qualifying Score                   40[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

For those wondering when the next stage is please refer to your results message in public jobs... message states that it is intended to call people who placed up to and including.... on the order of merit to stage 2 of the selection process which is due to commence on Tues 21st February.

I presume we will all get a message in the next couple of days with our test date. Time to get practising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

This is interesting.  Here are my scores and I was placed in the same order of merit as you:
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] been placed 1052 on the order of merit. [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your scores in the tests are as follows:[/font]

Assessment Questionnaire                                               

Verbal Reasoning                                                       

Numerical Reasoning                                                    

Yeah that makes sense. We both outscored each other by the same amount in the questionaire and verbal so the same score would mean the same order of merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Placed 474 in open and 158 in interdepartmental.

Big change from last time when I placed 5917 in the open!! :P

Best of luck to all and for those that aren't happy with their results head to Easons and check out the books on these tests.

• Advertisement

Assessment Questionnaire                                               

Verbal Reasoning                                                       

Numerical Reasoning                                                    

Yeah that makes sense. We both outscored each other by the same amount in the questionaire and verbal so the same score would mean the same order of merit.
    Exactly, it's just interesting that the assessment and verbal answers are rated the same value.  Here we go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IrishMary89

Yup there were also a lot of posters here who wanted to know where they could do a course in stage 2. Why would you need to, you are only repeating what you already did.
    doc11 wrote: »
    You can get a mate to sit the questionnaire and then cheat at the verbal and numeric(screenshots). The margins are so tight between candidates there should be a completely new set of questionnaire and verbal/numeric tests at stage2 Far too many cheat it's a joke. There was a Poster that repeatedly asked is it the same set of questions for stage2 who topped his region, I wonder why?

A cattlecall in the RDS would sort this out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Placed 474 in open and 158 in interdepartmental.

Big change from last time when I placed 5917 in the open!! :P

Best of luck to all and for those that aren't happy with their results head to Easons and check out the books on these tests.

Any book in particular that you would suggest ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'm delighted I received 474 on the open competition.

Does anyone know where the second stage tests are to be held around the country or are they all in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm delighted I received 474 on the open competition.

Does anyone know where the second stage tests are to be held around the country or are they all in Dublin?
    All in PAS office in Dublin(Abbey St.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

Scored in the 200's. Was just reading the eligibility criteria there. Anyone know if a L6 in payroll or a L6 in Digital Tech, Business & Design would suffice? Just skimmed through the form & saw leaving cert so I assumed I'd be ok. Read it properly & saw that you need 5 honours. I only got 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭3ke6pn2v0zwsi7

I placed 1784; Assessment 48 and Verbal 62. I'm delighted to have qualified. it's difficult to figure out the placement weighting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Anyone know why they've taken the whole country together instead of by region?
    I scored 54 in the Questionnaire and 51 in the Verbal and was placed 3080. Got 61 in the Numerical.
    I'm hoping that when they filter the candidates for the Irish stream that I'll get moved up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

They don't put people into regions until they are placing people on panels after passing their interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Ah OK, I was just going by the CO campaigns. When they give the results they give it by region.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

carnie wrote: »
    Failed the numerical by 2 points. I knew I did **** this time around

Missed out by one point on the numerical - its so sickening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭3ke6pn2v0zwsi7

I am doing Irish assessment for co stream next week. I don't know whether that might carry forward to assessment for Irish stream in EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cannister

Scored 39 in the Assessment Questionnaire, how I managed that I don't know! Passed the Verbal Test and Numerical Test no problem. Sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

In the 2014 EO competition many people jumped up the ranking significantly after the supervised tests...it weeds out people who cheated at the unsupervised stage. So there's definitely scope to improve your ranking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Areas wrote: »
    Anyone know why they've taken the whole country together instead of by region?
    I scored 54 in the Questionnaire and 51 in the Verbal and was placed 3080. Got 61 in the Numerical.
    I'm hoping that when they filter the candidates for the Irish stream that I'll get moved up a bit.

I thought they'd do it differently this time as last time they had to keep calling batches to interview, just so they could fill Dublin vacancies, and the regional folks had no chance of getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

In the 2014 EO competition many people jumped up the ranking significantly after the supervised tests...it weeds out people who cheated at the unsupervised stage. So there's definitely scope to improve your ranking :)

But it also goes against people who did very well in the Verbal but only ok at the Questionnaire.

They're more likely to drop against people who scored highly in the Questionnaire but not so great in the Verbal.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Wheety wrote: »

But it also goes against people who did very well in the Verbal but only ok at the Questionnaire.

They're more likely to drop against people who scored highly in the Questionnaire but not so great in the Verbal.

I'd say that the assessment questionnaire is the most important one as it grades you as a manager. EOs are junior managers so they need to see if we will make good decisions on albeit hypothetical situations. It sucks and it really is a weeding out exercise but unfortunately that's their model at the moment. 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭etar

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Missed out by one point on the numerical - its so sickening

Take some comfort in my scenario
    Did brilliant in the numerical and did well in the other 2 but too far down the rankings to be called 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

I placed 1784; Assessment 48 and Verbal 62. I'm delighted to have qualified. it's difficult to figure out the placement weighting though.

Got 55 in the assessment and 53 in the verbal so that's 108 points. Placed 2267. Fine margins. I wonder will they go further down the order of merit in due course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Passed the verbal and numerical well but failed the questionnaire by 2 points, so didnt make it to the next round, well p*ssed off with that, as i put a lot of time and effort into the verbal and numerical pieces along with the questionnaire assessments examples on other websites.

I dont know, its hard to put into perspective that you might have individuals that do well in both verbal and numercial but only to fall at the pyschometric phase (by minimum) , I fully understand the rational behind the pyschometric tests, but you often wonder in their terms of ranking and scoring, what is the right answer??

Anyway congrats on those who passed, best of luck in the next round....

Advertisement