Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 meandmymonkey

Got 55 in the assessment and 53 in the verbal so that's 108 points. Placed 2267. Fine margins. I wonder will they go further down the order of merit in due course...

I'm wondering this too about calling more for 2nd assessments.
    Did they do that with the last EO competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

Anyone can do the questionnaire for you and it's never double checked which is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

It's open for 2 years so there's a chance they could go down further but a lot of vacancies were filled last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IrishMary89

Definitely is a chance. There will be people who applied but don't meet the criteria for some strange reason they apply anyway. Also there will be fails at the second stage and people who cannot get off work so soon. Even at that there will be people in the private sector who won't take the pay cut. Loads of scope for a second calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

I just recieved a message on publicjobs with a seperate placing for the Irish stream. I got placed 5th!

I read on one of the old threads that people don't get placed specifically in jobs that require Irish in the EO competition and that it's more of a formality to check if you have Irish as well.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I was also wondering about the interdepartmental thing. I'm in the open competition and was wondering do the interdepartmental people get preference over the open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭3ke6pn2v0zwsi7

Got 55 in the assessment and 53 in the verbal so that's 108 points. Placed 2267. Fine margins. I wonder will they go further down the order of merit in due course...
    Just as an update I received a separate order of merit for the EO Irish stream this morning. Message mentioned being called for Stage 2 supervised online tests starting from 21st, but curiously it did not mention anything about an Irish assessment with that. Though that might be clarified in next communication.

Interviews conducted in Irish, but may not use much Irish in the role itself.
    sunflowa wrote: »
    I just recieved a message on publicjobs with a seperate placing for the Irish stream. I got placed 5th!

I read on one of the old threads that people don't get placed specifically in jobs that require Irish in the EO competition and that it's more of a formality to check if you have Irish as well.

I was also wondering about the interdepartmental thing. I'm in the open competition and was wondering do the interdepartmental people get preference over the open?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

When do you think they'll send out dates for stage 2? I'm in the 40s and if they go on order of merit will need to take time off work next week. I don't want to piss off my employer more than necessary!

sunflowa wrote: »

Congratulations on your placement for the Irish stream. I placed 95 for it. For the CO Irish stream there is an hour-long Irish assessment with the Stage 2 Verbal and Numerical assessment so this may also be the case for EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I don't know how I f'd this up so bad. Not only did I get an interdepartmental result, (I don't work there) but now I got my Irish result, I don't speak Irish...

On the plus side, I made it through on all of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Just rang up PAS, exams start next Tuesday, they'll be 5 sessions a day and run up until March 3rd ☺ also messages will be sent out today. I think in my CO exam there was 30 so with 5 sessions a day to it looks like 1050 people will be called first.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Cheers KeepKey! Given that there's AO interviews scheduled for April I wonder does this mean stage 3 will start late March?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jthepope2

Just wondering how far down the 'numbers' did they offer jobs to from the previous campaign? It was in 2014? Are they still recruiting off that competition/when does it expire.
    I came 7k plus on this aptitude, the fact that I'm looking for EO role in Dublin, does that increase my chances? A quick glance here seems to suggest Dublin is not where people want to be due to cost of living...Or else I am clutching at straws! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Cailin1234 wrote: »
    Scored in the 200's. Was just reading the eligibility criteria there. Anyone know if a L6 in payroll or a L6 in Digital Tech, Business & Design would suffice? Just skimmed through the form & saw leaving cert so I assumed I'd be ok. Read it properly & saw that you need 5 honours. I only got 4!

Just gone back and looked at eligibility myself, now I'm worried!

I got placed 36th in Open competition with 133 points from assessment and verbal. I'm a bit more senior than most (in my early 50s and have been working for the last 30 years in quite high level positions in finance for a large multi-national company, more senior to a number of qualified accountants.

Problem is, I never got a third level qualification, nor do I have 5 honours from my 1980 Leaving certificate!!

Am I likely to be pushed out on grounds of eligibility?

What did you fill in for your highest level of education on the form? Not entirely sure how it will work but it seems a good few avoided reading the booklet and entry criteria.
    quote="greenb;102629531"]Just gone back and looked at eligibility myself, now I'm worried!

I got placed 36th in Open competition with 133 points from assessment and verbal. I'm a bit more senior than most (in my early 50s and have been working for the last 30 years in quite high level positions in finance for a large multi-national company, more senior to a number of qualified accountants.

Problem is, I never got a third level qualification, nor do I have 5 honours from my 1980 Leaving certificate!!

Am I likely to be pushed out on grounds of eligibility?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

Hi Green b.

I hate to be nosy, but with a CV like yours, why would you apply for a €27k job? Are things that bad out there?

Hi Green b.

I hate to be nosy, but with a CV like yours, why would you apply for a €27k job? Are things that bad out there?

Thanks Bob!.......Money is not my first priority right now, am looking for a complete change of working environment and new challenge, just wondering how "black and white" the eligibility criteria is though. Hard for me to accept I may not be eligible, but looks like that may be the case?

greenb wrote: »
    Just gone back and looked at eligibility myself, now I'm worried!

Maybe the best thing to do is to contact PAS for advice on this as they are best placed to deal with your application

What did you fill in for your highest level of education on the form? Not entirely sure how it will work but it seems a good few avoided reading the booklet and entry criteria.
    quote="greenb;102629531"]Just gone back and looked at eligibility myself, now I'm worried!

[/QUOTE]

On the form, I think I filled out "secondary education or equivalent" which was one of the dropdown choices. I do have a leaving certificate just not 5 honours.

Yeah think ringing PAS is the only way to clarify.
    greenb wrote: »

On the form, I think I filled out "secondary education or equivalent" which was one of the dropdown choices. I do have a leaving certificate just not 5 honours.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 BeboHun

They do check your Leaving Cert results and ask for the original copy to be brought at interview stage which has seen people turned away or people bow out at that stage.
    If there's any confusion just ring them but the criteria is there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭etar

Yeah think ringing PAS is the only way to clarify.

On the form, I think I filled out "secondary education or equivalent" which was one of the dropdown choices. I do have a leaving certificate just not 5 honours.
    [/quote]

They won't look at ur qualifications unless u are eventually offered a position so you'd be better off ringing pas and walking them

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Any one have the number for PAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

Our Contact Details

Public Appointments Service,
    Chapter House,
    26/30 Upper Abbey Street,
    Dublin 1
    Opening Hours: 9.15 am -5.15pm

Phone
    Lo-Call: 1890-449999
    Tel: +353-1-8587400

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Placed 1580.

Thought I would have done better on the Verbal Reasoning but happy enough to be called to the next stage.

Hopefully get details on the supervised testing soon as I'll need to book the day off

Thanks all for the advice. Does anybody know where the actual eligibility criteria can be found on the PAS website? ie the information booklet for this campaign......wanted to have a good read through it again but I haven't been able to find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

This is directly from the information booklet:

''ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR EXECUTIVE OFFICER:
    1. Candidates must, on or before 12th January 2017
    (i) have obtained a recognised degree or hold a qualification in that in the opinion of the Public Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard;
    or
    (ii) have obtained in the Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of grade D at Ordinary (or Pass) level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum of Grade C in at least five subjects at Higher (or Honours) level papers;
    or
    (iii) hold a qualification, that in the opinion of the Public Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard to the Leaving Certificate (this will only be determined during the selection process or if a candidate comes under consideration for a position);
    or
    (iv) have passed the first year examination of a course leading to a recognised degree;
    or
    (vi) be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years service and have obtained at least five subjects in the Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C at higher level, the others should be a minimum Grade D at ordinary level. Or have passed an examination(s) which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard of the Leaving Certificate.
    and
    2. Demonstrate the competencies set out in Appendix I
    NOTE: Qualifications/eligibility, may not be confirmed until the final stage of the process, therefore, those candidates who do not possess the essential requirements, on the date specified above, and proceed with their application are putting themselves to unnecessary effort/expense and will not be offered a position from this campaign. Candidates who are unable to show that they hold the required qualifications may be withdrawn from the campaign at any stage. An invitation to tests, interview or any element of the selection process is not acceptance of eligibility.''

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

eimaj77 wrote: »
    I'd say that the assessment questionnaire is the most important one as it grades you as a manager. EOs are junior managers so they need to see if we will make good decisions on albeit hypothetical situations. It sucks and it really is a weeding out exercise but unfortunately that's their model at the moment. 😞

The fairest way would be do the numerical and verbal unsupervised and the if you make the grade do both again and questionnaire in a supervised environment.

Still a way of weeding out numbers but no one is getting a huge unfair advantage. Only difference is the questionnaire needs to be timed which isn't really a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Calculon1982

After my experience with the CO competition and having done quite well only to be told that there is no sign of any recruitment happening in my selected counties I feel like I am wasting my time.

I got placed 89 in the EO open exam there but I know if I go through to the supervised exam with my nominated counties again it will be the same story.

Is it a waste of time if you are trying to get a commuter County?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

After my experience with the CO competition and having done quite well only to be told that there is no sign of any recruitment happening in my selected counties I feel like I am wasting my time.

I got placed 89 in the EO open exam there but I know if I go through to the supervised exam with my nominated counties again it will be the same story.

Is it a waste of time if you are trying to get a commuter County?

id still go but thats just me. YOu are most likely very highly placed in your chosen counties if you are placed that highly nationwide. I know it must be frustrating to be in slow moving counties but at least if you proceed with this, you have another option open to you.

I personally am placed quite low (1580) so feel that there prob isnt much hope as i too am outside of Dublin but im going to go up and see how it goes as id much prefer EO to the CO position I am being given.

Advertisement