Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

JJayoo wrote: »
    She had one of her friends also apply and they did all the tests before her and screenshot all the questions. So she had all the questions for a few days before actually sitting the test
    They need to get SHL or whoever to have a much bigger bank of questions, like over a thousand and then give each person a random 30 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I wonder how long they are planning to take to bring the 1700 or so to stage two. Without regional panels but considering they took preferences it would make sense to do them relatively close together. Or else how would they create regional panels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I scored 6417 but it says I'm through to the next stage.

I probably shouldn't place too much hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Wheety wrote: »
    They need to get SHL or whoever to have a much bigger bank of questions, like over a thousand and then give each person a random 30 or so.

have different tests/questions and bell curve bell them. The fact you can cheat and then on the second test have similar questions means you won't get caught. Really unfair on those that do it proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Does anyone know how they calculate your score after the next round. I assume you must once again just pass the numerical and your assessment questionnaire score remains the same? How do they score the verbal, do they discard this result, or take an average of the two tests, or take your highest score?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lakeview35

In the 5000's. 2000's for the interdepartmental. Haven't a hope in hell of of being called to stage two over the next couple of years. Gutted :-(

Those that did cheat will hopefully be caught out in the verification round.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

greenb wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they calculate your score after the next round. I assume you must once again just pass the numerical and your assessment questionnaire score remains the same? How do they score the verbal, do they discard this result, or take an average of the two tests, or take your highest score?

I'd be interested to know this as well.

I did relatively well on verbal and numerical but pretty poorly on assessment (just about got over the 40). Therefore, am I right in thinking that the only way I can possibly get a better ranking is by improving again on the verbal (and making sure I pass the numerical)?

If so, I won't be moving much. My verbal was a high score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Inter'D 175

Open 546

Average marks (52, 58 on the verbal and numberical). I was drinking at the time:rolleyes:. A fluke 66 on that gob****e assessment puts me in contention. It isn't fair to factor in some fairground guessing game that any one of us would probably fail or ace if it had to be taken again.

And yes, as for the screenshot game that's so bloody obvious you'd wonder how computer literate our SHL overlords are.

It isn't fair to factor in some fairground guessing game that any one of us would probably fail or ace if it had to be taken again.

Absolutely. It's a joke that chance seemingly plays such a deciding factor in how future civil servants are chosen. I'd say lots of extremely capable people lose out (and become disenfranchised with a career in the public sector) as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 andsoitshould9

Just wondering the next steps in the assesment? How long does it take? If you work in Dublin would it only be a matter of taking a few hours off? Delighted to have got through. 764..... will I be called soon as in weeks or a month? Anyone thats familiar with this process might let me know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mammyoh

Does anyone know what the story is for those who also applied for the proficiency in Irish part?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just wondering the next steps in the assesment? How long does it take? If you work in Dublin would it only be a matter of taking a few hours off? Delighted to have got through. 764..... will I be called soon as in weeks or a month? Anyone thats familiar with this process might let me know?

Stage 2: supervised numerical and verbal to weed out the cheats and rejig the rankings. PAS in Abbey St. for those tests (if you're already a CO your HEO probably knows already that you'll be busy elsewhere for a day next week or the week after). And yeah, a half day off work would cover those 90-120 minutes assuming you're Dublin region to start with.

Given that the exam room holds about 40 people for a two hour exam. Allow for supervisors' lunch break ... then I'd imagine the top 200 go in next week. And so on...but that is strictly guessing.

Stage 3 is the e-tray and the interview....check the previous EO threads for the gossip on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Absolutely. It's a joke that chance seemingly plays such a deciding factor in how future civil servants are chosen. I'd say lots of extremely capable people lose out (and become disenfranchised with a career in the public sector) as a result.

Is that that kinda scenario based assessment we did? I find so many jobs I've applied for include something similar...trying to get an idea of your personality. It's funny, I was working for a particular company that had one of these, which I passed when I initially applied for the job. A few months later, wanted to move to another department and as a formality I needed to go through the application process again. Failed that personality assessment the second time I did it. Got a call from HR saying I needed to do it again and make sure I passed or they couldn't hire me for the new position, even though they knew I was the right fit and wanted me in that position.

It felt like even the HR manager knew it was pointless. Once you know the kind of person they are looking for they are pretty easy to pass. Whether or not my personality actually fits is a path I'll cross when the time comes :pac:

Yeah, that was the one.

I know they need something to assess personality etc. And I know they also need something to help cut the numbers, but it just seems such a poor way of doing it. For UK Civil Service tests they do the e-tray online and even have a video interview. I know the Irish CS wouldn't have the same resources, but surely some other method can be used. I guarantee if I did it now I'd do significantly differently than my test score (either worse or better). If it has to be there why not make it the one that you just have to reach a minimum standard for, and use the verbal and numerical as the basis of the rankings?

Anyway! I got through. Onward and upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

I am so shocked that I did well!

Hypothetically speaking, if everything goes well moving forward, does anyone have any idea how long it would take to get through the stages as far as job offers?

(way down the line I know!)

I'm in final year in college and now I'm worried that things will move too quickly and I'll miss out by not being able to take anything until the middle of May.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

sunflowa wrote: »
    I am so shocked that I did well!

Hypothetically speaking, if everything goes well moving forward, does anyone have any idea how long it would take to get through the stages as far as job offers?

(way down the line I know!)

I'm in final year in college and now I'm worried that things will move too quickly and I'll miss out by not being able to take anything until the middle of May.

Thanks!

I think it was like sept/Oct before last panel actually placed anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I said it a earlier in the thread but its a farcical way of conducting tests.
    Questionnaire is a once and unsupervised yet it counts towards final score.
    Nothing stopping anyone from getting a few people to help them do the questionnaire(2 heads better than one) and spend majority of prep time on verbal and a decent level of maths will see you through.

I know they say you can be disqualified in round two if there is too much of a decrease in scores but I'd love to know if many/any people are disqualified.

All 3 exams should be resat in stage 2 under supervision with a the company running the exams having a much larger database of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

I passed but alas I'm in early 3000's not a chance so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tpau

I missed it by 3 points but I'm ok as my heart wasn't in it. Congratulations to those who got through and best wishes for the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I just applied for the craic, got 1217 with scores of 65, 48 and 48!
    Dunno would I even take it if I progressed through the other stages.
    In the middle of a training contract with a big4 accounting firm, this time next year i'll be on a good bit more than the EO salary with my final exams this August.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

I got 14 in interdepartmental but only came into the Civil service in the 2014 EO comp. Haven't completed 2 years, but will have by the time they start placing people so I was just wondering would I have to have been in the CS for 2 years on the date I applied?

Got in the 50's for the open but am afraid that I'd go in on the first point on the scale if I moved under the open comp. does anyone know if you automatically start of the bottom of the scale if you go the open route?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I said it a earlier in the thread but its a farcical way of conducting tests.
    Questionnaire is a once and unsupervised yet it counts towards final score.
    Nothing stopping anyone from getting a few people to help them do the questionnaire(2 heads better than one) and spend majority of prep time on verbal and a decent level of maths will see you through.

I know they say you can be disqualified in round two if there is too much of a decrease in scores but I'd love to know if many/any people are disqualified.

All 3 exams should be resat in stage 2 under supervision with a the company running the exams having a much larger database of questions.
    Yeah the questionnaire is a big problem. Some people are very good at doing that type of test and if your mate does it for you, it's never tested again.

I think it's been said in here before but if you do really well on the verbal at home and not so good on the questionnaire, then there's only one way you're going in the ranking when you resit the 2 tests. Someone who has a good score on questionnaire but not verbal, can practice verbal and have a second go at it.

I got 14 in interdepartmental but only came into the Civil service in the 2014 EO comp. Haven't completed 2 years, but will have by the time they start placing people so I was just wondering would I have to have been in the CS for 2 years on the date I applied?

Got in the 50's for the open but am afraid that I'd go in on the first point on the scale if I moved under the open comp. does anyone know if you automatically start of the bottom of the scale if you go the open route?
    Why would you apply for EO if you're already an EO? Or did you mean you're a CO?

It usually states in the Information Booklet that you must meet the eligibility criteria by the application date.

Did anyone save the Information Booklet? I can't find it through Google.

I can answer your question on salary if you clarify if you're currently a CO or EO.

Actually, I'll answer it now. If you're CO you won't be at the first point for EO yet.

If you're an EO, you're not eligible for this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Why did I get two scores? Open and inter??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Stage 2: supervised numerical and verbal to weed out the cheats and rejig the rankings. PAS in Abbey St. for those tests (if you're already a CO your HEO probably knows already that you'll be busy elsewhere for a day next week or the week after). And yeah, a half day off work would cover those 90-120 minutes assuming you're Dublin region to start with.

Given that the exam room holds about 40 people for a two hour exam. Allow for supervisors' lunch break ... then I'd imagine the top 200 go in next week. And so on...but that is strictly guessing.

Stage 3 is the e-tray and the interview....check the previous EO threads for the gossip on them.

I'd reckon 600/800 per week myself and the tests will be completed in 2/3 weeks.
    They will have a few test rooms on the go at the same time, or at least they did the last EO comp.

Chase3 wrote: »
    Why did I get two scores? Open and inter??
    Are you a Civil Servant currently?

Does anyone know if the supervised tests are done on a computer or with bleedin' pencils?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Are you a Civil Servant currently?
    No

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the supervised tests are done on a computer or with bleedin' pencils?
    Computer
    Chase3 wrote: »
    No
    Well either it's a mistake on their part or you ticked the Interdepartmental box when applying. You're only eligible for the open.

Advertisement