Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Apologies if this is going off topic or not many people find Twitter beefs interesting but i found Jason's reply to Neil a bit cold but then he admitted he asked for a review copy but just received silence. Investigative journalism can definitely close a few doors on you.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1271544508132573184?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As much as I admire Schreier’s investigative work - very well earned reputation - he’s often ‘holier than thou’ on Twitter. There’s an arrogance there for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

TBH I’m not that big a fan of Schindler’s List as a film (it’s the sort of prestige filmmaking I’m never particularly enamoured with) but there is a glibness to comparing it - based such as it is on such historically significant real-life events - with a zombie game. I don’t think it was meant in ill-will though.

That’s not the worst part for me though. I think saying ‘everything is John Wick’ displays a certain ignorance of the medium. Lots and lots of games aren’t John Wick, and I’ll bet you right now a fair old chunk of them are infinitely more nuanced, meditative and thoughtful than TLOU2. I think the sort of clunky hyperbole that suggests ‘only this big, “serious” blockbuster game is a proper piece of art’ is regressive in ways that ignores decades of great games. The same guy made similarly exaggerated claims about God of War.

None of this is to say the game is good or bad! It’s just a pretty silly thing to put out there as far as I’m concerned (although completely undeserving of any threats or abuse). But hey, it’s one guy on the Internet at the end of the day.

To reduce Schindlers List to 'prestige film making' is really something. It's a masterpiece.

I think that is the point yer man was trying to make though: TLOU2 is the video game equivalent of Schindlers list; harrowing, but brilliant. Hyperbolic certainly, but clear enough in the point he wants to make.

I considered TLOU to be a masterpiece in video games terms, so I wouldnt be surprised for TLOU2 to be at least equally good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

J Mysterio wrote: »
    To reduce Schindlers List to 'prestige film making' is really something. It's a masterpiece.

Honestly I think most of Spielberg’s serious-minded films have a tendency to over-sentimentalise the subject matter while putting a layer of Hollywood gloss over everything - Schindler’s List is not a bad film by any stretch, and made with clear passion and earnestness, but emblematic of a particular type of filmmaking that I struggle to emotionally connect with. I find the likes of Shoah or Night and Fog far more robust and impactful cinematic reckonings with the unspeakable horrors of the Holocaust.

Could you imagine if Schindlers List was never made when it was and was instead made this year !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Folks anyone pre-order the collectors edition from Gamestop? Totally forgetting it was out this soon, I would have expected a followup email or something, and don't see the order in my account online. Chances are good of them taking €180 from me next week right?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

I am SO looking forward to The Last Of Us 2.Joel is my favourite character from the original game and i am REALLY looking forward to how they develop his character in the new one.Really.I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Folks anyone pre-order the collectors edition from Gamestop? Totally forgetting it was out this soon, I would have expected a followup email or something, and don't see the order in my account online. Chances are good of them taking €180 from me next week right?
    They should. I'm paying by PayPal for my collectors edition and the funds won't be taken until it's dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think that is the point yer man was trying to make though: TLOU2 is the video game equivalent of Schindlers list; harrowing, but brilliant. Hyperbolic certainly, but clear enough in the point he wants to make.

I considered TLOU to be a masterpiece in video games terms, so I wouldnt be surprised for TLOU2 to be at least equally good.

Shindlers list is definitely a powerful masterpiece so i can see why he used the example, i think a little exaduration is ok as in fairness games of the quality of TLOU2 don't come along that often. Can't wait to see how Ellie reacts to what Joel did at the end of the first game, it was a great ending to the original.

Another thread from a reviewer who didn't want to play it after seeing the leaks and end up loving it. Definitely does not sound like a 'fun' game to play, i can't wait :D

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1271587828409831429?s=19

• Advertisement

This review is getting great.... reviews. I haven't v watched it as want to keep the gameplay fresh for myself but might be worth watching if you're interested.

He played it on Survivor and then on Survivor+.

Just read that the first 3 hours of the game were leaked and on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just read that the first 3 hours of the game were leaked and on youtube.

So if you have watched anything Last of Us related, clear your history

Thanks for the heads up. btw trophy list has been revealed.

Wow, incredibly easy looking platinum.

https://www.powerpyx.com/the-last-of-us-2-trophy-list-revealed/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Great reviews out there so far. Admitadly I only skipped to the bottom to avoid even the slightest spoilers. Apparently the only minor quibble is that it is total misery :) But I mean you knew from the E3 presentation last year and the trailers what was ahead of you.. Looking forward to this. Better bloody play on the PS5 also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

btw trophy list has been revealed.

Do people actually care about stuff like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I ain't reading any reviews. I'm just counting down the days to release.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Do people actually care about stuff like this?

Yupp, i love an ol trophy list as it hints towards other things there are in the game like collectibles. If i enjoy a game enough, i set out for the platinum to give myself an extra challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I ain't reading any reviews. I'm just counting down the days to release.

Stick to the main reviews, or maybe them all that might be unfair.

I have seen a few. I tend to look for the more critical reviews as nothing is ever perfect and I like to see some of the gripes and try to consider them in terms of my likes and types of games.

Everything I have seen tells me I am going to like this game. Counting down the days indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Will the Last of Us 2 PS4 Pro version be available somewhere else than GameStop here?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Smyths not taking any more pre orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pacifico wrote: »
    Will the Last of Us 2 PS4 Pro version be available somewhere else than GameStop here?!

There will only be one version, which will play on all PS4s. The PS4 Pro does the 'upscaling', not the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Smyths not taking any more pre orders?

Seems like they have reached the sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Watched a review on youtube earlier. Good to see it getting solid reviews as I was worried it would fall short on my expectations as I loved the first one. Just be really careful as youtube just recommended me a video with a spoiler in the title. It what I get for watching the review through youtube :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The problem is even clearing your browser history won't safeguard against spoilers seeing as anytime you go on Youtube they place cookies on your computer that track what you're into so they could end up recommending you a spoiler video that way. Only thing to do is avoid youtube completely.

Is there a way to blacklist certain words on youtube from appearing in your recommended? Only other way i can think of to be certain

Advertisement