Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

jones wrote: »
    Oh I'll try that now thanks the funny thing is it keeps downloading the theme for last of us but not the game.

Edit just did it and it downloaded the theme again grrrr

Update it just started on its own it must have been the licences thanks for the help

Awesome, happy downloading man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS5zYAxInXM
    Its interesting to see 3 differing opinions on it.
    One really liked it
    One was indifferent with it
    One really disliked it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What size is the download?

What size is the download?

77GB's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    77GB's.

Is that all? I was expecting over a 100 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I thought Joel was a great character but I never 'liked' him playing the first game. I pitied him because of what he went through and how it changed him into being a total scumbag. Seeing him soften throughout the game as his relationship with Ellie became stronger was bittersweet. The decision he made at the end of the game however was messed up and made purely for selfish reasons, but the game is so well executed that you understand why he made that decision.
    I think what I liked most about the first game is that it's about the protagonists inadvertent quest for redemption and then betraying it in end because he's a traumatised and broken person in a vicious world.

I'm looking forward to where part 2 takes this story.

I agree but for me Joel redeemed himself at the end of the first game when he refused to let Ellie die under the hands of the doctors, he knew the world was ****ed up and everybody was out for themselves and by letting Ellie die to make a cure was not going to turn the world into a better place, so he said **** you all, this kid will have a life, this girl does not have to give up her life to help the scum that roams the world.......

For me, the ending cemented Joel's asshole status. Like Marlene said, she knew ellie a lot longer but knew what needed to be done.

Saying that, in his position, having made a father/daughter bond after what he went through, i probably would have done the same. He's such a great character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I agree but for me Joel redeemed himself at the end of the first game when he refused to let Ellie die under the hands of the doctors, he knew the world was ****ed up and everybody was out for themselves and by letting Ellie die to make a cure was not going to turn the world into a better place, so he said **** you all, this kid will have a life, this girl does not have to give up her life to help the scum that roams the world.......

I’m not sure Joel’s actions at the end of the last game represent any sort of ‘redemption’ tbh. He made a ****ty decision when there were two ****ty decisions on the table. It was a decision that was selfish. And he lied to Ellie to justify what he did, introducing a toxic secret into their relationship.

Decisions aren’t always as neat as right or wrong. The ending of The Last of Us is a rare video game story that got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think that's the thing about the first game. Joel is actually a really horrible person. But that's what the world does to you. And we are probably going to see that with Ellie.

Why is Joel a horrible person?

Reading comments about the game being 'too violent' seems pretty ridiculous to me. It's an anarchic post-apocalypse world. The first game was violent too. That should not be a surprise.

Some gamer 'culture' really annoys me these days, particularly where it crosses over to - and I really hate to use this word - the 'woke' etc.

Anyway, can't frickin wait to play it. Shame it is coming so late in the lockdown. Also that I have no weed ;(

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Why is Joel a horrible person?

When they get ambushed by the guy pretending to be injured, Joel admits to Ellie he's been on that side of things before.

Tess also said they've done a lot of ****ty things. Basically, grand he was surviving but sounds like some innocent people got on the wrong end of him and would consider him pretty horrible. I don't think ND wanted to shed too much light on that side to keep him likable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Video games must have numbed my senses because I'm trying to think of the last thing that repulsed me in a game, violence-wise, and I can't.

Edit: I've remembered a few. Isaac's eye surgery in Dead Space 2 and even though you don't see anything, Elizabeth's transorbital lobotomy in Burial at Sea. I clearly don't like eye-related gore.

Also, this specific Tomb Raider death animation...

TombRaider_RiverDeath2.gif

My take on it was that - indeed, he had done some bad things - but Ellie helped to bring back his humanity and show some him some light, goodness, and give him something honourable worth fighting for. It was a tale of redemption as much as anything. I certainly didn't come away from the game thinking 'Joel is a really horrible person'. Surprised to read that from several posters.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Video games must have numbed my senses because I'm trying to think of the last thing that repulsed me in a game, violence-wise, and I can't.

'Manhunt' stands out for me. I remember renting it in Xtra-Vision many years ago. Couldn't/ wouldn't play it more than 5 or 10 minites. But that is an ill defined memory at the same time.

Haven't played it, but the Resident Evil VR game looked ****ing terrifying. Don't even want to play that on standard PS4. :eek:

I definitely didn't finish the story thinking he was horrible, he did a selfish thing which i completely understood and was definitely on a redemption track with Ellie. He c was cold blooded before Ellie though, who knows what he got up to.

I can't wait to see their relationship in 2. From trailers, it looks almost reversed with Ellie taking charge in scenes.

Joel was always horrible, even before the outbreak. In the opening scene it outright leaves a family to die. He is exactly the same person by the end as he is at the beginning just more bitter.

Neil went over that in the podcast. Said you get a glimpse straight away into Joel's personality when he leaves the family behind. His one and only priority is his daughter. I wouldn't say horrible for 100% protecting his daughter instead of taking a chance but he is only out himself and his daughter which transfers over to Ellie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugh. The take is appalling, but what the hell compels someone to post something like that in response? The internet :(

Jason isn't happy either. I never saw Schindler's List but get what he's trying to say as in John wick is fun to watch but Schindler's List has a much bigger impact. Might not be the best example but i feel a bit sorry for the chap.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1271524159076655110?s=19

• Advertisement

"The Last of Us Part 2 puts the fun into fungal apocalypse"! - Irish News

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I know the general story seems to be
    revenge for Ellie for someone dying
    - based on official stuff not leaks just said I'd spoiler tag it for the people who like to stay away from trailers if that's what floats your boat

But I really want a scene at some stage where Ellie finds out what Joel did at the end of the game, and what her reaction would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

I know the general story seems to be
    revenge for Ellie for someone dying
    - based on official stuff not leaks just said I'd spoiler tag it for the people who like to stay away from trailers if that's what floats your boat

But I really want a scene at some stage where Ellie finds out what Joel did at the end of the game, and what her reaction would be

Grateful if the reactions were anyway realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Dayjur wrote: »
    Grateful if the reactions were anyway realistic

Or would she wanted to have been given the chance to cure humanity and all that?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Jason isn't happy either. I never saw Schindler's List but get what he's trying to say as in John wick is fun to watch but Schindler's List has a much bigger impact. Might not be the best example but i feel a bit sorry for the chap.

TBH I’m not that big a fan of Schindler’s List as a film (it’s the sort of prestige filmmaking I’m never particularly enamoured with) but there is a glibness to comparing it - based such as it is on such historically significant real-life events - with a zombie game. I don’t think it was meant in ill-will though.

That’s not the worst part for me though. I think saying ‘everything is John Wick’ displays a certain ignorance of the medium. Lots and lots of games aren’t John Wick, and I’ll bet you right now a fair old chunk of them are infinitely more nuanced, meditative and thoughtful than TLOU2. I think the sort of clunky hyperbole that suggests ‘only this big, “serious” blockbuster game is a proper piece of art’ is regressive in ways that ignores decades of great games. The same guy made similarly exaggerated claims about God of War.

None of this is to say the game is good or bad! It’s just a pretty silly thing to put out there as far as I’m concerned (although completely undeserving of any threats or abuse). But hey, it’s one guy on the Internet at the end of the day.

Shnakey Neil up to his tricks of being a nice guy again, we see through you Neil!

That guy needs a serious holiday then the game releases.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1271542997235068928?s=19

Aye Druckmann seems like a decent guy well able to handle himself online with a rare-enough sort of dignity. I think Schreier’s ‘am I being too sensitive?’ comment was silly and unnecessarily confrontational itself - the initial comparison was just a bit glib as opposed to offensive. Again, it’s the hyperbole to me that rings hollow - lots of games are great for reasons far beyond being stylish action games, and let’s not forget them just because something new and shiny and polished shows up :)

Advertisement