Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A case of trying to quell any sort of negative attention to stop it being added to the already massive amount of negativity surrounding the game.

There is no negativity, well none that is rational at least, surrounding this game.

People are generally really excited about its release, can't wait to see how they take the story on and what is next in store for Ellie and Joel.

"I don't like the story line to a game I haven't played yet" compared to the actual pre-reviews which were almost universally positive and you could tell that they had really enjoyed the game.

Do you even know what the law is around this type of song? Whether they have to give her credit? Even if they did, perhaps they just made a oversight, and have moved to correct it pretty quickly and the artist in question seems more than happy with the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There is no negativity, well none that is rational at least, surrounding this game.

People are generally really excited about its release, can't wait to see how they take the story on and what is next in store for Ellie and Joel.

"I don't like the story line to a game I haven't played yet" compared to the actual pre-reviews which were almost universally positive and you could tell that they had really enjoyed the game.

Do you even know what the law is around this type of song? Whether they have to give her credit? Even if they did, perhaps they just made a oversight, and have moved to correct it pretty quickly and the artist in question seems more than happy with the response.

Never said the negativity was rational but there has been a lot of it surrounding the game coming from a certain section of culture warriors. Accusations of plagiarism would have been more fuel to the fire for that lot.

The rights of the song would have been New Order so she really didn't have any right to compensation at all. They could have easily told her to gwan ta fook.

Can't bleedin' wait for the game meself but it's such a pity I've to be so mindful of online discussions in relation to it because of the amount of tits that want to spoil it for as many people as possible. This forum has been pretty decent in terms of being able to talk about the game without getting the game spoiled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say the artist they hired plagarised the original cover and never disclosed that and caught Naughty Dog off guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This forum has been pretty decent in terms of being able to talk about the game without getting the game spoiled.

Yes, shoutout to the people who either wanted to talk about the spoilers, defend their dislike of their game or even the ones who wanted to be dicks and held back. Other forums were/are an absolute ****show compared to here.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say the artist they hired plagarised the original cover and never disclosed that and caught Naughty Dog off guard.

I'd say this is most likely the case. Or someone suggested the cover, had legal team get the rights, legal only got rights for the original but told creative everything was sorted. Still lies with ND to stay on top of things like this but glad it's sortednow anyway.

How about no more drama til release days???

I'd be inclined to be a bit more cynical about it. As far as I can tell it's Ashley Johnson, who voices Ellie, singing the song.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be inclined to be a bit more cynical about it. As far as I can tell it's Ashley Johnson, who voices Ellie, singing the song.

Ah, the plot thickens.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd say this is most likely the case. Or someone suggested the cover, had legal team get the rights, legal only got rights for the original but told creative everything was sorted. Still lies with ND to stay on top of things like this but glad it's sortednow anyway.

Legal would have only have to have gotten the rights from New Order, the other one has zero claim to the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's definitely Ashley Johnson, but I think the claim is about the musical arrangement/tempo matching Lotte Kestner's previous cover version as opposed to New Order's (for obvious reasons).

It's the kind of thing where there's almost no way to do a female acoustic slow version of that song without it sounding like that, but the fact there was a previous version and the new version sounds just like it, it's just not clear cut either way as to whether they copied it or not, so I'd say they just didn't think it was worth fighting either way.

It was the humming at the end that nailed it. It was proof someone heard Kestner's cover and said 'We'll have that'. In the end, it was handed to Ashley to sing or who knows, Ashley could have suggested it.

Penn wrote: »
    It's definitely Ashley Johnson, but I think the claim is about the musical arrangement/tempo matching Lotte Kestner's previous cover version as opposed to New Order's (for obvious reasons).

It's the kind of thing where there's almost no way to do a female acoustic slow version of that song without it sounding like that, but the fact there was a previous version and the new version sounds just like it, it's just not clear cut either way as to whether they copied it or not, so I'd say they just didn't think it was worth fighting either way.

Ah, they copied it without a doubt in my mind. Legally, it wouldn't have been worth Lottie Kestner fighting it because her arrangement most likely wouldn't have been protected by copyright and I sincerely doubt she'd have the resources to take on ND. Whatever settlement they came to would purely be a goodwill gesture on the part of ND. I sincerely doubt they had any legal obligation to compensate her.

• Advertisement

Just remembered that the reviews will be going live from 8am Irish time on Friday. I'll be avoiding reviews but interested to hear general thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Most likely it was just overlooked, they have a million and 1 things to organise and it is very likely they just forgot. It could be credited in the game's credits and just not in the trailer.

You have a team getting licenses, another making the recording, another making the video, another posting it.

It happened, they owned it, fixed it, it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

sweetie wrote: »
    Warnig! Had this pre-ordered with GS and got a call asking of I'd like to cancel and instead order online for delivery as they are expecting big queues. Grand I said as long as there's no extra charge but when I went to use the voucher they gave me, they want an extra 6.50. Have sent a mail to CS so hopefully they'll resolve it.

Had this preordered with GS too. Our local shop closed recently so manager of another shop rang me and sorted delivery with voucher. All went through at no extra cost to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

First time preordering a game with Symths for delivery, so I should be getting it on the 18th? How does it work so I can't play it before the 19th?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,520 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

RedRochey wrote: »
    First time preordering a game with Symths for delivery, so I should be getting it on the 18th? How does it work so I can't play it before the 19th?

If it is a disc copy you can play as soon as you get it, unlike digital.

If it is a disc copy you can play as soon as you get it, unlike digital.

Oh is it 2004 again and Day 1 patches don't exist? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,520 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Oh is it 2004 again and Day 1 patches don't exist? :pac:

You can still play without the day 1 patch, in most cases. The day 1 patch usually goes live a day or two before release anyway.

I got a PS3 game an entire week before release that had a day 1 patch and it worked fine. Platniumed it before it was officially released too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

RedRochey wrote: »

Thinking about ordering from Smyths too, they usually good to deliver for release day on pre orders.

Would be sickened not to get it on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Reviews will be out at 8am in the morning.

https://opencritic.com/game/8351/the-last-of-us-part-ii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

reviewer score will be high as hell, user score will probably be bombed and in the 30's. Good to know it's getting decent reviews, not going to read anything else until release which is a week away, god damn

Pre-download is live on PSN now. 76.97GB

516097.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Eurogamer – Essential
    USG – 4.5/5
    GamesRadar – 5/5
    IGN – 10/10
    VGC – 5/5
    GameInformer – 10/10
    GameSpot – 8/10
    1xuGOvP.png
    8aBDbgW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I woke up to my first review of the game. A youtuber called Skillup.
    It seems to have a differing opinion on the game from the typical media outlets scores.
    https://youtu.be/GB20A8CitRU

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

deceit wrote: »
    It seems to have a differing opinion on the game from the typical media outlets scores.

And I bet he's 100% right too. Sounds exactly like what I predicted would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

A 96 on Metacritic after 76 reviews. Holy sh*t.

Not that I expected anything else tbh, this always felt like a game ND wouldn't go near unless they genuinely had an interesting story to tell.

Yeah, but what about the non-controversy and the media's agenda and collusion conspiracy?

deceit wrote: »
    "More terminally, the story of the game is a complete mess, forgoing any of the themes, relationships and tones that were central to the first game, and replacing them with a petty revenge story, driven by unlikeable characters making decisions that seem ridiculous and unbelievable."

"More terminally, the story of the game is a complete mess, forgoing any of the themes, relationships and tones that were central to the first game, and replacing them with a petty revenge story, driven by unlikeable characters making decisions that seem ridiculous and unbelievable."

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

I do find it interesting that Reviewers aren't allowed talk about the beginning or 2nd half of the game. I'm sure to keep spoilers from getting out there any more than already have but it sounds like if you had anything negative to say about it, it would be from the 2nd half and you're not allowed talk about it.

Anyway, just 1 week to go before I find out for myself!

No multiplayer at launch confirmed. Hope it gets added.

Advertisement