Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I know this sounds bad and probably a bit hateful. But I just detest Irish comedians for the desperation of them. But I hate that I think that, they're only trying to make a living in the country they were born in doing the thing they love after all.

However, when I see various Irish comedians doing literally anything, from hosting, radio, a carousel of guest appearances, releasing books/dvds/cds and playing just about any pub in Ireland that can get a crowd of 50 into it I think pathetic.

Your ability to succeed on your humour was a fleeting thing and maybe you were known for a hot minute but here you are, feeding on the minnows so many years later and you'll take anything to keep yourself going.

Even though you have had nothing good stand up wise for many years and in fact, are just lazy aul s****s about it and just regurgitate the same safe, boring (ALREADY DONE 100 TIMES AND MUCH BETTER THAN YOU) material.

It's like there's a distinct lack of pride in their work I feel. That they're coasting on a cushy number, with diminishing returns and increased resentment as to why this terrible stand up is still around from the public view.

All our good comedians go to the UK, the few that are left here are mostly terrible, I dont know how they make any sort of a living by doing comedy here. Unless theyre the likes of Des Bishop and get regular work from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I know this sounds bad and probably a bit hateful. But I just detest Irish comedians for the desperation of them. But I hate that I think that, they're only trying to make a living in the country they were born in doing the thing they love after all.

However, when I see various Irish comedians doing literally anything, from hosting, radio, a carousel of guest appearances, releasing books/dvds/cds and playing just about any pub in Ireland that can get a crowd of 50 into it I think pathetic.

Your ability to succeed on your humour was a fleeting thing and maybe you were known for a hot minute but here you are, feeding on the minnows so many years later and you'll take anything to keep yourself going.

Even though you have had nothing good stand up wise for many years and in fact, are just lazy aul s****s about it and just regurgitate the same safe, boring (ALREADY DONE 100 TIMES AND MUCH BETTER THAN YOU) material.

It's like there's a distinct lack of pride in their work I feel. That they're coasting on a cushy number, with diminishing returns and increased resentment as to why this terrible stand up is still around from the public view.

I think many comics think it's easy, because most audiences have had a few,so they'll laugh at anything. Comedy's not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Irish comedy is no laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

osarusan wrote: »
    Andrew Maxwell is the unfunniest person ever.

No, Jason Byrne. He has never said anything funny that I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Blue Magic wrote: »
    No, Jason Byrne. He has never said anything funny that I've seen.

It would make you wonder how they manage to get careers as comedians? They cant have that many fans?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wouldn’t work... PJ Gallagher is a member of Dun Laoghaire RNLI

It would if the helicopter was upside down at their time of departure.

Tiger20 wrote: »
    I hesitate to describe him as a comedian, but surely the most unfunny Irish comedian is Karl Spain.......never ever saw him funny

I’d always thought that. Never liked him. But saw him warming up for Kevin Bridges and he was very good.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Probably gritting his teeth in anticipation at identifying the “token woman” on the programme, and slagging her off regardless of who she is.

If it’s Alison Spittle she’s worth the slagging.

Every time I see her she 1) offends me and 2) reminds me of the fraggle catcher on Fraggle Rock. “I caught a fwaggle”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It would make you wonder how they manage to get careers as comedians? They cant have that many fans?!

Ok I'm going to finally shame myself, or out myself if you will.......I've never been a fan of Jason Byrne, and for many years I couldn't stand the sight of him. ****e jokes, ****e delivery, just ****e in general.

I don't know what came over me, perhaps it was a sense of curiosity, expecting it to be awful, but his "Cirque du Byrne" show was on Netflix, and I decided to hit Play. Now, as mentioned I expected it to be terrible........but I have to say it.........I was in hysterics. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

It hasn't been repeated since with Byrne, but I have to acknowledge the fact that at least for one evening the man gave me a great laugh.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to finally shame myself, or out myself if you will.......I've never been a fan of Jason Byrne, and for many years I couldn't stand the sight of him. ****e jokes, ****e delivery, just ****e in general.

I don't know what came over me, perhaps it was a sense of curiosity, expecting it to be awful, but his "Cirque du Byrne" show was on Netflix, and I decided to hit Play. Now, as mentioned I expected it to be terrible........but I have to say it.........I was in hysterics. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

It hasn't been repeated since with Byrne, but I have to acknowledge the fact that at least for one evening the man gave me a great laugh.

Get out

• Advertisement

Re: Jason Byrne (and why other crap comedians constantly pop-up on tv). It might be because they always turn up?

This might seem an odd analogy. But I was having a chat with a friend which brought up a conversation. Some site did a 'Ireland in the 2000's thing'-and it featured photos of the same model's at every event- Glenda Gilson, and the likes. I was like 'could they not get another model? Why always them?' and my friend's retort was 'Maybe it's because she was reliable. Remember Katy French and her drug addiction?' (Apparently, French was often sent home from shoots because she turned up completely f**ked up on, um, 'chemicals'. I think even TV3 had to send her home once, from a planned interview, because she was out of it. Even in Irish modelling, they can call another girl to come in instead)

With the likes of Byrne, Spittle, and other s**t comedians... they're probably reliable. Other comics, you'd call them, they mightn't turn up, or they're busy, or hungover.
    These folks pop up on tv because...well, they turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Re Brendan O Carroll and joke stealing, he actually freely admits to it in this interview with Magill from 14 years ago. Seems to see nothing wrong with it.

https://magill.ie/archive/brown-beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

One fella he talks about stealing from is Paul Malone, which will tell you the level of shyte he was inspired by.

One fella he talks about stealing from is Paul Malone, which will tell you the level of shyte he was inspired by.

Him and Brendan Grace were a fright for it. You'd often see Grace and O'Carroll doing the same material, at the same time.

Grace would steal from the likes of Rodney Dangerfield, The Two Ronnies (the song 'A dose of the stutters' is a Two Ronnie's original), and many other comedians.

O'Carroll would steal from the same people Grace did, as well as the childhood playground. Tho O'Carroll would inject with homophobic jokes. (The first 5 minutes alone of his 'special' are laced with cheap homophobic jokes).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,213 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Re Brendan O Carroll and joke stealing, he actually freely admits to it in this interview with Magill from 14 years ago. Seems to see nothing wrong with it.

https://magill.ie/archive/brown-beauty

if you are going to steal jokes why would you not steal decent ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I like Des Bishop, does a good documentary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FVP3 wrote: »
    I like Des Bishop, does a good documentary too.

This is no place for positivity, dude. It’s for monstrously unfunny men to angrily rant about comedians.

if you are going to steal jokes why would you not steal decent ones?

He does-steals from The Simpsons and the likes of Caroline rhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Also, harassment messages to multiple women and emotional abuse. Some of his female friends have come out and said how he would make them feel guilty if they slept with men they liked and how he was controlling and would play on vulnerabilities.

Well if that's the case every woman on the planet is going down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

This is no place for positivity, dude. It’s for monstrously unfunny men to angrily rant about comedians.

Are your posts automated? As in, is this some kind of bot with very low level set of algorithms responding to key words? It’s just a continuous loop of:

“Men are angry, men always men, men on internet angry”
    “Fine Gael good, especially Maria Bailey”
    “Men bad, me want attention and be your knight in shining armour women of boards”
    “Boards bad and I’m too good for it” (yet spends the majority of his day on it”
    “This is what my dump today looked and felt like...”
    “Dude, pal” followed by some attempt at a put down with zero wit.

And then minion gimp bot emmet spice lad whatever kicks in and backs up with similar muck?

Genuinely curious, as it must be like Groundhog Day spending your day typing the same mundane repetitive nonsense in a place where you proclaim is so bad but spend so much time in? Very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It’s hard to see how live comedy is going to come back. Between restrictions in pubs for the moment restricting audience sizes dramatically and further allegations about other comics who are sexual predators, it’s going to be a tough couple of years for stand up.

On a totally and completely unrelated note to the new sexual assault/ rape allegations, I never found Andrew Stanley very funny myself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

99nsr125 do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Have to say I don't get the vitriol in this thread? :Confused:

I'm not a fan of Dylan Moran. Just find that wine drunj Irishman schtick to be a bit tired. But I've no desire to spend my time explaining why I think fans of his are mentally insufficient.

But anyone who is a fan of spittles more nuanced and incisive comedy and thinks it's a bit "smarter" gets pilloried? I don't get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I always thought Dylan Moran was overrated. A drunk greenface minstrel show for the Brits.

Spittle is good. She comes across as sound in real life as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Keep it civil, carded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Spittle is unpopular for 2 reasons... 1 she is female. 2 she is overweight. These two facts make a lot of the "critics" here uncomfortable. I won't speculate why.

PPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Spittle is unpopular for 2 reasons... 1 she is female. 2 she is overweight. These two facts make a lot of the "critics" here uncomfortable. I won't speculate why.

In fairness, a lot of the lads on here genuinely don't find her funny. Which is fair enough. They won't stop going on and fucking on about her though... for the two reasons you mention.

Come in HQ, we lost another field agent. Scramble emergency cover:
    Have to say I don't get the vitriol in this thread? :Confused:

I'm not a fan of Dylan Moran. Just find that wine drunj Irishman schtick to be a bit tired. But I've no desire to spend my time explaining why I think fans of his are mentally insufficient.

But anyone who is a fan of spittles more nuanced and incisive comedy and thinks it's a bit "smarter" gets pilloried? I don't get it?

Some static interfering with the line, can you repeat?
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I always thought Dylan Moran was overrated. A drunk greenface minstrel show for the Brits.

Spittle is good. She comes across as sound in real life as well.

Synchronised message successfully deployed. Retreat to base.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Lot of tetchy posts here last night. Presuming it’s United fans who are taking things badly.

• Advertisement

Lot of tetchy posts here last night. Presuming it’s United fans who are taking things badly.

I have no idea what brought it on... but some folks were rather unkind.

Advertisement