Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Spittle is unpopular for 2 reasons... 1 she is female. 2 she is overweight. These two facts make a lot of the "critics" here uncomfortable. I won't speculate why.

PPL

You forgot 3. Unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You forgot 3. Unfunny.

Yeah, but the lads would probably be more forgiving about that if she was conventionally attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

KiKi III wrote: »
    Yeah, but the lads would probably be more forgiving about that if she was conventionally attractive.

I'd disagree with that. For example, I personally find Sarah Millican pretty funny on occassion (like every comic, not all her material appeals to me).

Kerry Godliman's made me laugh with her standup. She can be genuinely clever.

On the other hand, Ellie Taylor has modelled as well as doing standup. I find her highly unfunny, personally.

Are you basing that on evidence or just throwing out an insinuation that anyone who doesn't like Alison Spittle only does so because you deem her to be conventionally unattractive?

Seems a little silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Are you basing that on evidence or just throwing out an insinuation that anyone who doesn't like Alison Spittle only does so because you deem her to be conventionally unattractive?

Seems a little silly.

no he's dead right and i'm only basing it on all the posts i've read here.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Can you point out some posts that you are basing your shared opinion on?

I've mostly seen posts describing the lack of comedic value in her work. Her appearance is also a part of her routine, but I see no valid reason to assume if she was what you would consider attractive, she would get less criticism.

Does Jason Byrne get abuse because he is unattractive? I'm unsure as to why you seem to think attractiveness is key to finding people funny.

Unless you are saying that the majority of men judge women and their worth purely on their looks. But you wouldn't be saying that. Because that would prove that you have an awful and preconceived negative opinion of men

I'd disagree with that. For example, I personally find Sarah Millican pretty funny on occassion (like every comic, not all her material appeals to me).

Kerry Godliman's made me laugh with her standup. She can be genuinely clever.

On the other hand, Ellie Taylor has modelled as well as doing standup. I find her highly unfunny, personally.

Do you want a medal for occasionally finding women funny even if you don’t think they are attractive?

*she

Do you want a medal for occasionally finding women funny even if you don’t think they are attractive?

I don't think he was asking for acclaim. Just perhaps acknowledgement that your accusation of looks being a deciding factor is absolute horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Any woman who doesn't think Johnny Vegas is funny just thinks that because he's not a musclebound hunk. I like this game.

Fair enough. Can you point out some posts that you are basing your shared opinion on?

I've mostly seen posts describing the lack of comedic value in her work. Her appearance is also a part of her routine, but I see no valid reason to assume if she was what you would consider attractive, she would get less criticism.

Does Jason Byrne get abuse because he is unattractive? I'm unsure as to why you seem to think attractiveness is key to finding people funny.

Unless you are saying that the majority of men judge women and their worth purely on their looks. But you wouldn't be saying that. Because that would prove that you have an awful and preconceived negative opinion of men

to be honest it's so in your face and obvious i must say no and do it yourself.

I'm not at all saying she's funny or not i'm just pointing something really obvious i noted in this thread over the years.

*she

are you funny? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

22b79a640bc5089497a6262901b7274c.jpg

to be honest it's so in your face and obvious i must say no and do it yourself.

I'm not at all saying she's funny or not i'm just pointing something really obvious i noted in this thread over the years.

Ah ok. You can't then? I have seen little or no evidence that Spittle is being unfairly treated because of her appearance. You told me she definitely has been. It's not "in my face" or I wouldn't have asked for clarification.

So from what I can gather from your post is that some men have commented that she isn't good looking and therefore you gleamed from that , was that if she was pretty, men would find her funny?

Can you point out all the stunning women that men find hilarious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

This is deja vu from about 3 weeks ago. The only people mentioning Spittles appearance or weight are those that are trying to defend her, nobody else. It's been requested to quote posts where all her detractors are making nasty comments about her weight or appearance. This never materialised last time around, can't see it happening this time either.

This is deja vu from about 3 weeks ago. The only people mentioning Spittles appearance or weight are those that are trying to defend her, nobody else. It's been requested to quote posts where all her detractors are making nasty comments about her weight or appearance. This never materialised last time around, can't see it happening this time either.

More than once one of us has gone back, found the posts about her appearance and quoted them, only for someone else to make this claim again a few pages later.

I ain’t doing it again on a Friday afternoon.

are you funny? :)

I perform stand up as a hobby and sometimes people laugh. Or at least I used to before the pandemic. Even at the joke where I use the term “intersectional feminism” in the punchline!

Ah ok. You can't then? I have seen little or no evidence that Spittle is being unfairly treated because of her appearance. You told me she definitely has been. It's not "in my face" or I wouldn't have asked for clarification.

So from what I can gather from your post is that some men have commented that she isn't good looking and therefore you gleamed from that , was that if she was pretty, men would find her funny?

Can you point out all the stunning women that men find hilarious?

there is tonnes of evidence all over the place, sadly it was me who presented you with this fact, so you have to do the work if you wish to contradict me. I distinctly recall "tutting" at least 46 times at people who were not primarily focused on her comedy when dissing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It must be very easy to live a life where if somebody thinks something that they can instantly be accused of believing it for some external reason.

Don't find Alison Spittle funny? Well then.....it must be because you don't find her attractive or because she's fat. There's no other reason.
    Find somebody funny? Well....it must be because you find them attractive.

Pathetic reasoning. A complete non-point.

Let's see a Venn Diagram. Who find X attractive, Y funny, an intersection of both.....or neither. Can we just drop this facile nonsense please?

There are plenty of unattractive comedians who I find funny......the reason........ummmmm.......they are funny. The end.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    It must be very easy to live a life where if somebody thinks something that they can instantly be accused of believing it for some external reason.

Don't find Alison Spittle funny? Well then.....it must be because you don't find her attractive or because she's fat. There's no other reason.

Let's see a Venn Diagram. Who find X attractive, Y funny, an intersection of both.....or neither. Can we just drop this facile nonsense please?

There are plenty of unattractive comedians who I find funny......the reason........ummmmm.......they are funny. The end.

I believe nothing is black and white, i'm not accusing anybody of anything, somebody said something, i said that's not fact and there is evidence to the contrary in this very thread and then this ****e started ....the evidence is here i definitely have seen it.

it's not even that hard to believe, there are thousands of angry posts in boards that have no basis in reality, it's a syndrome i'm sure and we'll have peer reviewed studies on it soon if not already. I will state without any fear of being corrected that there are many posts dismissing women on their looks before their work is even looked at on this very site.

And that is the easy life ligerdub, being decent and objective seems to be the harder life, any gob****e can say negative things without any thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Which Irish/international comedians do you find funny?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Dannyriver wrote: »

We don’t do that here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Dannyriver wrote: »

Standard Trojan Horse tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Standard Trojan Horse tactic.

Asking what comedians you like in a thread about comedians is a Trojan horse?

Asking what comedians you like in a thread about comedians is a Trojan horse?

you happen to read the title of the thread yet pal dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

you happen to read the title of the thread yet pal dude?

Alright Higgins. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask someone who can name loads of comedians they don’t like for a few examples of comedians they do like. Wouldn’t say that’s a mad or weird idea.

being decent and objective seems to be the harder life, any gob****e can say negative things without any thought.

suggesting you are the decent and objective one and anyone who disagrees with your point of view makes them unreasonable and irrational right? why in your mind are you decent and objective versus somebody who has a different opinion to you? That sentiment defines somebody so far removed from being decent and objective.

No, no - I get that people don’t find her funny. I don’t find her particularly funny myself. That’s grand.

I think she gets mentioned here more often and often with more venom than equally unfunny comedians because she is overweight and not conventionally attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Karl Spain the Irish Jo Brand.

Advertisement