Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

KiKi III wrote: »
    No, no - I get that people don’t find her funny. I don’t find her particularly funny myself. That’s grand.

I think she gets mentioned here more often and often with more venom than equally unfunny comedians because she is overweight and not conventionally attractive.

That has changed somewhat, there have been direct comments made that posters have said horrible things about her appearance. This has not been backed up at all. All you are doing is speculating as to why people dislike her, that's pathetic.

My first time hearing her was after a long spell abroad so missed out on whenever she came into the limelight, circa 2010 I'm guessing. She had some piss poor segment on George Hooks Newstalk show, I had no idea who she was or what she looked like but all I can recall is thinking why is this person on the radio, and what is her job/profession etc. I honestly, and will of course be slated for this, I thought she had some kind of disability and it was a bit of token airtime feel good segment. She wasn't funny and talked a load of bollocks about nothing, granted it wasn't helped by who she was talking to.

Anyway, point being, I heard her before I saw her and listening to her is far worse than looking at her. So there goes your shallow judgemental theory on me for one thinking she is absolutely useless based on her weight and appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

KiKi III wrote: »
    No, no - I get that people don’t find her funny. I don’t find her particularly funny myself. That’s grand.

I think she gets mentioned here more often and often with more venom than equally unfunny comedians because she is overweight and not conventionally attractive.

Pretty much everyone nominated on this thread has gotten dogs abuse. Sometimes it's exaggeration for effect.

Some examples:

#19: "Dara O'Briain and Karl Spain. Two heavyweights but not comic heavyweights."

#59: "daire o brien is a smug t0sser of the highest order , he is also wogan like in his love of england"

Looking through the posts on this thread the amount about Spittle is insignificant. The first post about Spittle was #36.

"Last time I saw her I think she was trying to be an ornamental flowering garden plant."

Are we honestly saying that the comments about Spittle are anything worse than others?

In any case, as has been mentioned several times, the amount of negative comments on here about Spittle's appearance could probably be counted on one hand, and the only ones who seem to bring it up are not the ones even talking about her.

She's a big girl, I don't care. Jo Brand is big, but funnily enough has still managed to build a career in comedy and won some prestigious awards, particularly at a time when it wasn't just given out for the sake of diversity. The reason why.......Jo Brand has decent material and delivery. By all means continue on with your point of view, but I think you're very wrong about it.

There are plenty of variables which will determine success or failure in this game. 90% of the game will be material, delivery, comfort on stage and likability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Maeve Higgins
    PJ Gallagher
    Alison Spittle
    Tommy Tiernan

Before someone comes in with an "edgy" nonsense or a pathetic agenda post....I dont find them funny, nothing to do with their appearance.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Which Irish/international comedians do you find funny?

No problem in answering it but the questions reeks of bad faith questioning. I could pretty much imagine how that conversation would go.

In any case as has been mentioned this isn't the thread for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Alison Spittle’s idea of funny revolves around saying “getting the shift” and “going for a bag of cans” and other “hilarious” Oirish phrases. It’s Facebook comedy, like Rory’s Stories or Cian Twomey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Maeve Higgins
    PJ Gallagher
    Alison Spittle
    Tommy Tiernan

Before someone comes in with an "edgy" nonsense or a pathetic agenda post....I dont find them funny, nothing to do with their appearance.

why you/other engage with the troll poster (its the same fella with 3/4 accounts who say the exact same things with these alt accounts)who pops up in other threads with the same attempt at baiting people here saying buzz words(angry unfunny male term keeps popping up from him) trying to get a rise...leave him stick to his toilet etiquette thread - its amazing he never rushes into "save" jason byrne/maxwell and others who probably have received the same stick here

why you/other engage with the troll poster (its the same fella with 3/4 accounts who say the exact same things with these alt accounts)who pops up in other threads with the same attempt at baiting people here saying buzz words(angry unfunny male term keeps popping up from him) trying to get a rise...leave him stick to his toilet etiquette thread - its amazing he never rushes into "save" jason byrne/maxwell and others who probably have received the same stick here

Wasnt engaging with anyone on this topic.

I can't see those posters posts unless quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Wasnt engaging with anyone on this topic.

I can't see those posters posts unless quoted.

apologies, wasn't aiming it specifically at you

apologies, wasn't aiming it specifically at you

No apology needed :)

Also, Andrew Maxwell is an unfunny twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Asking what comedians you like in a thread about comedians is a Trojan horse?

These lads would be petrified of actually committing themselves to an opinion that wasn't derogatory in case they lose face with the other cynics, didn't expect an answer in fairness just a bit of trolling . Apologies .

Kinda like the inverse of this on here :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnBdGTX3vZc

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote:
    These lads would be petrified of actually committing themselves to an opinion that wasn't derogatory in case they lose face with the other cynics, didn't expect an answer in fairness just a bit of trolling . Apologies .

You must have missed my post about Jason Byrne then. Not exactly a crowd pleaser. If you're going to be a smart arse at least have an airtight argument.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Karl Spain the Irish Jo Brand.

You're only saying that because you think he is unattractive.... Apparently

An actual quote from RTÉ's comic relief:

Don't go anywhere, because after the break we have Jason Byrne and Dave Mcsavage.

****ing hell.

Spittle is unpopular for 2 reasons... 1 she is female. 2 she is overweight. These two facts make a lot of the "critics" here uncomfortable. I won't speculate why.

PPL

Wow. Your pronouncements are poor taste. If these are your reasons then you need to think about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

An actual quote from RTÉ's comic relief:

Don't go anywhere, because after the break we have Jason Byrne and Dave Mcsavage.

****ing hell.

I think I watched ten minutes, in total of that.

It was 'nostalgia' peddled as comedy, as I suspected. The one I managed to catch was The Panel 'skit' and it was p**s poor.

The main thing I noticed was anyone who was on The Panel was incredibly unfunny. (Hah-Culchies-HA! LAUGH...why aren't you laughing?) whereas folks like Aisling Bea, and Foil, Arms and Hog were the one's who got the jokes in. And they were never on the show. Then Des Bishop made an appearance looking like fido Dido and it was cringe inducing.

It was supposed to be over at 11.50 or so (at least according to my TV guide), so turned it over to RTE 1 after midnight....

and there was Katharine Lynch, doing her Sheila sheik character again. Wasn't she pretty much thrown off of tv after the disastrous show 'The Center'? I remember it got accused of all sorts, including transphobia, leading to pickets outside RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Also, Andrew Maxwell is an unfunny twat.

When Andrew Maxwell first burst onto the scene I found him very funny. Then he had some success on The Panel (I think) and then he released a video. I think I'd rather catch cancer than watch that video again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Jason Byrne
    Alison Spittle
    Maeve Higgins
    Des Bishop
    Pat Shortt
    Andrew Maxwell
    Ed Byrne
    Dara O Briain
    PJ Gallagher
    Other

are all hilar

Partic part short

are all hilar

Partic part short

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Could have voted for a lot more than 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

BattleCorp wrote: »
    When Andrew Maxwell first burst onto the scene I found him very funny. Then he had some success on The Panel (I think) and then he released a video. I think I'd rather catch cancer than watch that video again.

Remember that RTE show he did called Smoke And Mirrors? A monumental pile of scutter that lasted no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You're only saying that because you think he is unattractive.... Apparently

Well Annemarie Bryne found him attractive for some reason.

And they're still together. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

his RTE show about tribute bands was great even if i had no idea it was going to be good, I heard he was absolutely great craic on the road for that tour also.

his RTE show about tribute bands was great even if i had no idea it was going to be good, I heard he was absolutely great craic on the road for that tour also.

Karl Spain wants to Rock?

I had a friend talk about that, that it didn't do too well. I know they said Karl wasn't the problem, more that it was a rushed concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Karl Spain wants to Rock?

I had a friend talk about that, that it didn't do too well. I know they said Karl wasn't the problem, more that it was a rushed concept.

it was as if RTE's idea of a show didn't work out but a show within a show broke out and was unexpectedly good! mainly down to the bands being really sound and having personalities and the host bringing out the best of them

And they're still together. Fair play to him.

Different girl.

Different girl.

Ah cripes, did they split up?

Ah cripes, did they split up?

This is early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Karl Spain the Irish Jo Brand.

Karl Spain was class back in the day especially when he'd do the bit about being on his period. But ever since his comedy started to revolve around being menopausal, I kinda lost interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

BattleCorp wrote: »

What do you mean by “released a video”?

Advertisement