Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers protesting the lodging of refugees in a local authority house(read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

PucaMama wrote: »
    And? Your probably more annoyed that the caravans will bring down the appearance of the area rather than those "children" getting married at 16.

No its probably the threat of unbridled violence,lawlessness and intimidation rather than the visual impact of a few caravans

We have fields of caravans beside the sea called caravan parks and there is never a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

mhge wrote: »
    Families will always "jump the queue" on the waiting list, so if their (travellers') family members are couples/singles or waiting to upsize they would be waiting a long time, and they wouldn't be offered accommodation of their choice next door to their family either, just whatever comes on stream.

Besides, refugees are funded differently so most likely the council would not have social housing funds to refurbish a boarded up house right now, but they would have EU funds.

To be fair, not enough details are known about the case at hand.
    If the traveller family met the needs of the property, ie length of time waiting, how many/gender of family members, local need etc etc, they are right to be be annoyed(not that I have a horse in this race).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

No its probably the threat of unbridled violence,lawlessness and intimidation rather than the visual impact of a few caravans

We have fields of caravans beside the sea called caravan parks and there is never a problem

It never seems to occur to settled people that some traveller families want to get away from exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Is it the same as calling us a bunch of paddies ? But anyways ....

It's a ****ed world we live in A minority group protesting against an even smaller minor group from a worn torn country. The irony of it. I wonder what would Martin from paveee point saying

As my mate mentioned before why would you bypass every safe middle eastern or African safe zone to get to the UK or Germany or here if it's not for economic purposes ? If i were in a situation where I were afraid for my life id be quite happy getting to the first safe zone/country that I could get to .

So it's unfortunate for displaced genuine Syrian people to be lumbered into the same equation as economic refugees. Poor feckers you would have to feel sympathy for them

I do feel we should do something for these people . I'll refrain from using but ....

If you look at our situation we have a massive amount of people who are homeless and the government wants to take in X amount of Syrians it's laughable really we can't even look after our own !!! Like who thinks up these things? If we were a country where we had no housing crisis and no homelessness and could build houses or those prefab homes on a whim then why not do a good deed for these people .

Do I think they should jump the queue maybe they shouldn't but they should be given somewhere to live and I would reckon they would be happy with anywhere were they could sleep in peace at night better than being afraid of getting blown up or whatever in Syria

I can see this being a bigger problem in future . It's gonna cause animosity.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Well in my area it's based on need as it is in most council areas, also houses are made available when the council has been allocated the funds to renovate them if needed.

I was behind 2 traveller women at the weekend in a shop(when the weather was baltic)
    One was late 30's and the other probably late 40's.
    The younger one said(and I'll refrain from writing in an accent :D) "This in no weather for the trailers Bernie, children and me were froze last night" to which the other woman replied "I bless the day I left the trailer into the house, you have the gas"

i remember thinking "Jesus, I couldn't IMAGINE having slept in one of those tin yokes in that last night, poor divils"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

irishgeo wrote: »
    why should the traveller familes get to decide where they live. No other families do. Its take the house or leave it.

Unless you're a single mom in TCD.

^^^^^^^^^

We must be going for an AH record.....see how many stereotypes we can cram into one thread :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Well the Syrians are travellers.
    Unlike ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I thought they did not like people protesting about them moving into houses ????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

peter sutherland,the sith lord, watching on his crystal ball

"good.....goooood....."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

eviltwin wrote: »
    its in the article. they live in the house beside the refugees and are protesting because they want it to be allocsted to a family member.
    "A number of local sources in the town say that a Traveller family living next door to the house in question were “not happy” about the Syrian family being housed there and protested outside the house as a result."

That's the key part. Either the traveller family wanted the house for members of their extended family and don't want to see anyone else get it, or they don't want to see refugees move in. I'd be fairly certain that it's the first situation and they should be told to go and ****e.

What they are protesting about is the fact that foreigners are being prioritised for council houses over Irish people who have been waiting on housing lists for 10+ years, they want their family members and all others on the lists to be treated fairly instead of being shafted by the government in favour of foreigners.
    The refugees are not 'waltzing in'. They have been invited to come to Ireland by the Irish government, as they are from a country which is in the middle of a violent civil war.
    Here are some photographs of Aleppo in case you think the refugees from Syria are trying it on:
    aleppo1.jpg
    aleppo-syria.jpg

They should be kept in direct provision or kept in the centres they were initially housed in.

Only when all Irish people in need of housing have been offered housing should we start to look after these "blow-ins".

It really is typical of our useless politicians and the bleedin heart brigade that we bring people here who we can't look after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I was behind 2 traveller women at the weekend in a shop(when the weather was baltic) One was late 30's and the other probably late 40's. The younger one said(and I'll refrain from writing in an accent ) "This in no weather for the trailers Bernie, children and me were froze last night" to which the other woman replied "I bless the day I left the trailer into the house, you have the gas"

A tin yoke ( they do have some insulation) with some form of heat is infinitely preferable to a bombed out house in Aleppo don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Imagine travelling half way across the planet to keep your family safe to be confronted with that nonsense.

Tbh Im not entirely sure what right they have to protest about this. It's a government house, it's up to the social to decide who goes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anyone who can afford a 45,000 euro pickup Toyota hilux shouldn't be on any social housing list. Why the tax man doesn't come down on them is baffleing

A tin yoke ( they do have some insulation) with some form of heat is infinitely preferable to a bombed out house in Aleppo don't you think?
    So should we house the Syrians in Caravans? Bundoran and Courtown could be taken over for the cause!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Mr Joe wrote: »
    Well well well, been saying this would happen for some time and I was mocked. The Irish Government think they can land 12,000 - 20,000 Syrian refugees to Ireland without adequate housing and shove them to the top of the Council housing list ahead of people and families who have been waiting 5 - 10 years.

This is only the start and is going to cause real tensions in communities these refugees are placed in. Happened in Britain and mainland Europe it will happen here. Bottom line is these refugees should never have been accepted, we do not have the housing to support these people, and even there was, they should have been bottom of the list like Irish citizens.

Excuse my ignorance, but why are people waiting 5-10 years for a council house? Like, where are they waiting? Are they homeless or are they renting privately? I don't fully understand this part of the social welfare system in Ireland, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

I'm no Pavee Point advocate, but I'm very uneasy about this. How many Irish men, women and children on the housing list and these Muslim (they may not be, but probably) aliens jump ahead? Very worrying times for native Irish.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What they are protesting about is the fact that foreigners are being prioritised for council houses over Irish people who have been waiting on housing lists for 10+ years, they want their family members and all others on the lists to be treated fairly instead of being shafted by the government in favour of foreigners.

They should be kept in direct provision or kept in the centres they were initially housed in.

Only when all Irish people in need of housing have been offered housing should we start to look after these "blow-ins".

It really is typical of our useless politicians and the bleedin heart brigade that we bring people here who we can't look after!

Blow ins? I'm fairly certain if Russia wasnt bombing the **** out of Aleppo the majority would more than likely be still there. I mean, Mayo is probably the furthest point in Europe away from Syria. That takes a lot of effort to get to.

So should we house the Syrians in Caravans? Bundoran and Courtown could be taken over for the cause!

Jesus, don't mention the cause... A bunch of Syrians in the RA is all we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

foggy_lad wrote:

Well it seems to have been good enough for a large swathe of asylum seekers in Athlone. But I assume people are allocated to different areas around the country where existing accommodation has been identified.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Blow ins? I'm fairly certain if Russia wasnt bombing the **** out of Aleppo the majority would more than likely be still there. I mean, Mayo is probably the furthest point in Europe away from Syria. That takes a lot of effort to get to.
    They were housed in Camps in Turkey Jordan etc so why are they being brought here at tremendous expense when the cost of housing one family here could care for several families in the refugee camps?

Why are Sinn Fein and all the rest of the bleedin hearts prioritising these foreigners over Irish homeless people?

They were housed in Camps in Turkey Jordan etc so why are they being brought here at tremendous expense when the cost of housing one family here could care for several families in the refugee camps?

Why are Sinn Fein and all the rest of the bleedin hearts prioritising these foreigners over Irish homeless people?

Because they are being blown up and executed by ISIS and the like and Irish people (bar one exception) aren't?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Afaics from the article, the travellers family member HAVE been on the housing list, for years apparently

"It’s believed that members of the Traveller family have been on a waiting list for local authority housing for “some time”.

“They are protesting because a vacant house, which has been vacant for some time, is being occupied by a Syrian family when some of their own family members have been on the list for ages, years, and haven’t been housed,” said local councillor Michael Kilcoyne."

If so, then I can understand ANYONE protesting.
    As you rightly said in your other post, if you are on the list.
    Traveller or anyone else would be rightly pee'd off seeing someone just waltz in so to speak, and jump the queue.

One of the articles I read on this had it that the estate had reached its quota of traveller families so that's why the other family members weren't allocated the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Well put the Syrians into the tin yoke until it's their turn on the social housing list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

CatFromHue wrote: »
    One of the articles I read on this had it that the estate had reached its quota of traveller families so that's why the other family members weren't allocated the house.

Hesitant to ask what that quota is...

Like I said, I haven't got a horse in this race.
    I felt empathy with the conversation those women were having. Have you ever slept in one of them? I have. In MAY!!! It would freeze the nuts off a snake. And that was without thick November frost.
    If I was to even go there with your strawman, we could feck the travellers out of the trailers and house the Syrians in the trailers and give the travellers giant gold houses with crystal chimneys and ruby windows ;):D
    Am I doing it right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Because they are being blown up and executed by ISIS and the like and Irish people (bar one exception) aren't?

If you have any evidence that these people are being "blown up and executed by ISIS" please do provide evidence.

Edit: These specific people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

So which group is more oppressed? Any SJWS want to tell us who's where in the hierarchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Like I said, I haven't got a horse in this race.
    I felt empathy with the conversation those women were having. Have you ever slept in one of them? I have. In MAY!!! It would freeze the nuts off a snake. And that was without thick November frost.
    If I was to even go there with your strawman, we could feck the travellers out of the trailers and house the Syrians in the trailers and give the travellers giant gold houses with crystal chimneys and ruby windows ;):D
    Am I doing it right? :p

I'm just having so much fun mouthing ''jacuzzi'' in a traveller accent now.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »

Thats the very first I have EVER heard of any estate having a quota of ANY particular group(I hate to be that guy that asks for a link but its purely out of genuine curiosity :))
    Didn't think that could be done at all tbh

Advertisement