Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers protesting the lodging of refugees in a local authority house(read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would pay to see the reaction of this in the People Before Profit office. I expect them to run a million miles from it.

When the Afghan family were attacked in Nutgrove they organised an Anti-Racism rally at Nutgrove shopping centre. When they found out who it was, the issue disappeared quickly.

This issue of Refugees skipping the queue for housing has been brewing for a while now. It was deemed racist to even suggest that it may cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I haven't read anything about wanting to move next to family. Are the ones protesting currently living in rented accommodation?

They must be in line for a place according to their position on the waiting list, no?

its in the article. they live in the house beside the refugees and are protesting because they want it to be allocsted to a family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

RayM wrote:
    Do we actually know whether the people in question work, don't work, used to work or never worked?

We don't but isn't it fun to say everyone who gets a council is minted cause it's free!!!! ( eventhough those of us with a half a brain know it's not)

Mr Joe wrote:
    These aren't refugees, they could claim asylum in a lot closer areas than Ireland. They are smart smart people who have picked us out because of our limp wristed liberal politicians. They are economic migrants here to bag their free house and tax payer funded lifestyle at the expense of normal citizens.

They are not claiming asylum. Do you know the difference between refugee and asylum seeker? Also our government agreed to take a quota of Syrian refugees. Try a little knowledge before you make yourself look foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

eviltwin wrote: »
    its in the article. they live in the house beside the refugees and are protesting because they want it to be allocsted to a family member.

I'd read a different article before this thread. They've no entitlement to specify housing in proximity to anyone in particular but still they were obviously on the waiting list a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

We set a fairly dangerous precedence here if people feel they are entitled not only to location but individual housing that can go in.

Mr Joe wrote:
    These aren't refugees, they could claim asylum in a lot closer areas than Ireland. They are smart smart people who have picked us out because of our limp wristed liberal politicians. They are economic migrants here to bag their free house and tax payer funded lifestyle at the expense of normal citizens.

Just leave this hear for you.....

Mr Joe wrote:
    Mr Geldof are you going to give these economic migrants a room in your house???

Still confusing refugees with economic migrants I see, Have an adult explain the difference to you. Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"A number of local sources in the town say that a Traveller family living next door to the house in question were “not happy” about the Syrian family being housed there and protested outside the house as a result."

That's the key part. Either the traveller family wanted the house for members of their extended family and don't want to see anyone else get it, or they don't want to see refugees move in. I'd be fairly certain that it's the first situation and they should be told to go and ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

irishgeo wrote: »
    why should the traveller familes get to decide where they live. No other families do. Its take the house or leave it.

First of all, I never said they should get to, it's just what they do. Second, travelers aren't the only people who decide where they want to go. There was something like 2000 refusals from people on housing lists last year for all kinds of ridiculous reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They're absolutely just as deserving, but not MORE deserving. There should be nobody sleeping on the streets or living in tents/caravans.

Some of our so called "ethnic" brethren actually choose to live in caravans. It's their culture you know.

In fact if you google map Rathkeale, you will see mansions and other "ordinary" houses with caravans all over the place. Their choice. But they still want a house aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Some of our so called "ethnic" brethren actually choose to live in caravans. It's their culture you know.

In fact if you google map Rathkeale, you will see mansions and other "ordinary" houses with caravans all over the place. Their choice. But they still want a house aswell!

There's nothing wrong with someone wanting a house? I'd reckon most people want a house. If they're on the council list then they're waiting their turn and everyone else should be expected to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

First of all, I never said they should get to, it's just what they do. Second, travelers aren't the only people who decide where they want to go. There was something like 2000 refusals from people on housing lists last year for all kinds of ridiculous reasons.

Yep. There's far too many people turning down perfectly good houses because "I want to be close to my mother".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There's nothing wrong with someone wanting a house? I'd reckon most people want a house. If they're on the council list then they're waiting their turn and everyone else should be expected to do the same

No problem with that at all. You made the point that people should not be forced to live in caravans. Well Travellers like living in caravans that's a fact.

The first thing many of them do when they actually GET a house is put a caravan in the front and back for the childer who will be married at 16 soon.

Did you have a look at Rathkeale on Google maps? There are more caravans there than in twenty circuses.

They must be in line for a place according to their position on the waiting list, no?

Position on the housing list means nothing, immediate need/ circumstances is what is prioritised.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Position on the housing list means nothing, immediate need/ circumstances is what is prioritised.

I was told by a friend in the co. council that there is no system of prioritising people on the list. maybe it's changed recently, or it's not the same everywhere, but if what you say is correct then that vacant house would have been given to someone in serious need before now-or should have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No problem with that at all. You made the point that people should not be forced to live in caravans. Well Travellers like living in caravans that's a fact.

The first thing many of them do when they actually GET a house is put a caravan in the front and back for the childer who will be married at 16 soon.

Did you have a look at Rathkeale on Google maps? There are more caravans there than in twenty circuses.

Some travellers like living in caravans. Not all travellers. They wouldn't put their names down for a house unless they wanted one

I was told by a friend in the co. council that there is no system of prioritising people on the list. maybe it's changed recently, or it's not the same everywhere, but if what you say is correct then that vacant house would have been given to someone in serious need before now-or should have been.

Well in my area it's based on need as it is in most council areas, also houses are made available when the council has been allocated the funds to renovate them if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

PucaMama wrote: »
    They are just as deserving as, say, a homeless drug addict or alcoholic. People want to help those. To help them sort themselves out. So why not travellers. Everyone on here knows the reasons behind how they live. But it's more fun to suggest every traveller ever is just a waste of space.

I didn't say every. I said a huge segment not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

And? Your probably more annoyed that the caravans will bring down the appearance of the area rather than those "children" getting married at 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Some move by Castlebar coco to be fair. These poor people will be back in Aleppo before Xmas telling everyone they know about the horrors and depravities they witnessed in Castlebar and thanking Allah they are home to a semi civilised society.
    Word will spread among all the refugees in Calais and soon the Mediterranean will just be for yachts again after hearing of this families lucky escape.

Tldr; Castlebar coco had found the only way to stop the flood of migrants to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Send the travellers to Aleppo - plenty of empty housing there.

Some travellers like living in caravans. Not all travellers. They wouldn't put their names down for a house unless they wanted one

Some of them cant wait to get out of them. I know women who are sick and tired of it but their husbands are reluctant to move into houses. Sometimes it's their childrens needs that drive them to apply for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Ahh okay, that makes more sense. Yeah social housing shouldn't be given out to people because their mam lives next door. If people are turning houses down then they're clearly not in great need. I do think though - there should be no que skipping, irregardless of who you are, single man, single mother, traveller or refugee.

Afaics from the article, the travellers family member HAVE been on the housing list, for years apparently

"It’s believed that members of the Traveller family have been on a waiting list for local authority housing for “some time”.

“They are protesting because a vacant house, which has been vacant for some time, is being occupied by a Syrian family when some of their own family members have been on the list for ages, years, and haven’t been housed,” said local councillor Michael Kilcoyne."

If so, then I can understand ANYONE protesting.
    As you rightly said in your other post, if you are on the list.
    Traveller or anyone else would be rightly pee'd off seeing someone just waltz in so to speak, and jump the queue.

irishgeo wrote: »
    why should the traveller familes get to decide where they live. No other families do. Its take the house or leave it.

This should be stopped completely. If you're offered a local authority home or other public housing option you should be obliged to take it unless it's not fit for human habitation. If you turn it down, you should be taken off the housing list and told that no local authority or housing association will deal with any application for housing from you for at least another 10 years and that you'll have to start at the bottom of the queue after the 10 years are up.

Ahh okay, that makes more sense. Yeah social housing shouldn't be given out to people because their mam lives next door. If people are turning houses down then they're clearly not in great need. I do think though - there should be no que skipping, irregardless of who you are, single man, single mother, traveller or refugee.

Afaics from the article, the travellers family member HAVE been on the housing list, for years apparently

"It s believed that members of the Traveller family have been on a waiting list for local authority housing for some time .

They are protesting because a vacant house, which has been vacant for some time, is being occupied by a Syrian family when some of their own family members have been on the list for ages, years, and haven t been housed, said local councillor Michael Kilcoyne."

Traveller or anyone else would be rightly pee'd off seeing someone just waltz in so to speak, and jump the queue.
    The refugees are not 'waltzing in'. They have been invited to come to Ireland by the Irish government, as they are from a country which is in the middle of a violent civil war.
    Here are some photographs of Aleppo in case you think the refugees from Syria are trying it on:
    aleppo1.jpg
    aleppo-syria.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dont have problem with this. These people deserve our help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Dont have problem with this. These people deserve our help.

Most succinct opinion we've had so far. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

This should be stopped completely. If you're offered a local authority home or other public housing option you should be obliged to take it unless it's not fit for human habitation. If you turn it down, you should be taken off the housing list and told that no local authority or housing association will deal with any application for housing from you for at least another 10 years and that you'll have to start at the bottom of the queue after the 10 years are up.

That'd be fine and dandy if the people you are going to share your garden wall and neighbourhood with are law abiding. There are certain estates that are no-go areas for buses and gardai. Would you seriously penalise anyone for refusing to move in there? I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

"It’s believed that members of the Traveller family have been on a waiting list for local authority housing for “some time”.

“They are protesting because a vacant house, which has been vacant for some time, is being occupied by a Syrian family when some of their own family members have been on the list for ages, years, and haven’t been housed,” said local councillor Michael Kilcoyne."

Families will always "jump the queue" on the waiting list, so if their (travellers') family members are couples/singles or waiting to upsize they would be waiting a long time, and they wouldn't be offered accommodation of their choice next door to their family either, just whatever comes on stream.

Besides, refugees are funded differently so most likely the council would not have social housing funds to refurbish a boarded up house right now, but they would have EU funds.

Advertisement