Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers protesting the lodging of refugees in a local authority house(read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bubblypop wrote: »
    Proper checks are being done every month, in Greece and the Lebanon, by gardai.
    No refugees are being taken into Ireland without proper background checks.

How do they check for criminal backgrounds ?

What records remain intact and available to international police in Syria ?

Oh wait, we use the method of simply asking them if they are good honest people and if they say yes we take them on board!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Mr Joe wrote: »
    Well well well, been saying this would happen for some time and I was mocked. The Irish Government think they can land 12,000 - 20,000 Syrian refugees to Ireland without adequate housing and shove them to the top of the Council housing list ahead of people and families who have been waiting 5 - 10 years.

This is only the start and is going to cause real tensions in communities these refugees are placed in. Happened in Britain and mainland Europe it will happen here. Bottom line is these refugees should never have been accepted, we do not have the housing to support these people, and even there was, they should have been bottom of the list like Irish citizens.

Where do you think they should go though? Children are dying in Syria on a daily basis. Are we supposed to offer no help? Coming from a country that says a Christian prayer before a session in parliament.

Yes. Do you live in a cave?? If we bring in ZERO refugees the country is still running at a deficit. It's basic maths.

There's more than enough money to raise social welfare payments, and give back a Xmas bonus to social welfare recipients. So we are clearly not doing too bad?
    I don't care if the country is at a deficit, I believe in humanity, I believe in looming after people that have been displaced from their own country, that have no other option than to leave their lives behind them.
    I don't understand why people in this country can't show a bit of humanity.
    There's plenty of Money being wasted every day in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Where do you think they should go though? Children are dying in Syria on a daily basis. Are we supposed to offer no help? Coming from a country that says a Christian prayer before a session in parliament.

Again.. we contribute over 600 million per year in "help".

This notion that "housing these poor people is the least we can do" is just nonsense. We already do more than enough to help, and at the expense of our own native/legitimate citizens.

As I said before, charity begins at home - and we certainly have enough deserving causes right here without needing to import the problems of others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

There's more than enough money to raise social welfare payments, and give back a Xmas bonus to social welfare recipients. So we are clearly not doing too bad?
    I don't care if the country is at a deficit, I believe in humanity, I believe in looming after people that have been displaced from their own country, that have no other option than to leave their lives behind them.

You dont seem to concerned about our own either.
    Welcome to the Dark Side.

• Advertisement

More children are dying in Africa or China on a daily basis than die in Syria monthly or yearly, why don't you care about them? have you travelled to the refugee camps to offer assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I can imagine the new tenants will receive a splendidly warm welcome from their neighbours and enjoy a harmonious residency there for about a month.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How do they check for criminal backgrounds ?

What records remain intact and available to international police in Syria ?

Oh wait, we use the method of simply asking them if they are good honest people and if they say yes we take them on board!

That's an internal gardai matter.
    You hardly expect gardai to tell you about their internal security matters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Children are dying every day in China, North Korean, many, many African countries, India, Pakistan and Yemen.

Why aren't they worthy of your pity??

Should we just open our borders to everyone and anyone who feels aggrieved at their current location??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Again.. we contribute over 600 million per year in "help".

This notion that "housing these poor people is the least we can do" is just nonsense. We already do more than enough to help, and at the expense of our own native/legitimate citizens.

As I said before, charity begins at home - and we certainly have enough deserving causes right here without needing to import the problems of others!
    How much have you given to charities at home so far this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'm no Pavee Point advocate, but I'm very uneasy about this. How many Irish men, women and children on the housing list and these Muslim (they may not be, but probably) aliens jump ahead? Very worrying times for native Irish.

If they were christian would you be more at ease?
    If you have any evidence that these people are being "blown up and executed by ISIS" please do provide evidence.

Edit: These specific people.

I think the proof lies in their current state of health. I imagine they are alive and in one piece, otherwise it would make for a very strange case indeed.

If you mean "have they been persecuted in their own country", that's not up to anybody on this forum to prove, that's the job of the Refugee Applications Commissioner I believe. If the family have been granted asylum, who are you to judge otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think most people believe in humanity but that's not relevant considering Ireland's far from being their last hope. It's not a matter of condemning them to their fate in Syria if we don't bring them here.

Too much money wasted by far but taking on and caring for so many people needing so much extra help is going to compound the problem. If you're not bothered about that, that's fine!

And when Europe stops sending money to prop us up and we can't afford to pay our nurses, Gardai, army, doctors etc and the economy collapses what then?? The problem with idealists like you is that they have a blinkered view of the world. Like a child who can't understand why their parents can't just buy them all the toys in the toy shop when there's loads of money for groceries and a car and rent etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Children are dying every day in China, North Korean, many, many African countries, India, Pakistan and Yemen.

Why aren't they worthy of your pity??

Should we just open our borders to everyone and anyone who feels aggrieved at their current location??

I don't know what we're supposed to do, that's why I asked! Syria hits home with me because I've known some really lovely people from there and the situation makes me feel helpless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

bubblypop wrote:
    There's more than enough money to raise social welfare payments, and give back a Xmas bonus to social welfare recipients. So we are clearly not doing too bad? I don't care if the country is at a deficit, I believe in humanity, I believe in looming after people that have been displaced from their own country, that have no other option than to leave their lives behind them. I don't understand why people in this country can't show a bit of humanity. There's plenty of Money being wasted every day in this country

As long as the people who are displaced are willing to integrate and not get delusions of grandeur,and they stay away from the lefties.

Just because someone is displaced doesn't mean they're law abiding people or won't go on a shopping spree down the local.

Take in the Christians Yazidis Sufis and Shia,they're the one's being oppressed by the Sunni nutters

How much have you given to charities at home so far this year?

How about you address the points raised first?

If you can explain to me/justify why a small island nation that is only starting to get back on its feet after a severely damaging recession, and which still has several majorly significant domestic issues to contend with, AND which already contributes over €600 million annually in foreign aid, isn't "doing enough" or "should do more" then I'll be more than happy to debate you

But I won't hold my breath all the same

That's an internal gardai matter.
    You hardly expect gardai to tell you about their internal security matters?

Would they be the 18+ senior Gardai posts that we weren't told by the bleedin heart minister hadn't been filled even though the commissioner told a different tale?

"Internal Garda Matter" = Nothing of any real substance is being done and nothing of any substance or worth will ever be done!

I think most people believe in humanity but that's not relevant considering Ireland's far from being their last hope. It's not a matter of condemning them to their fate in Syria if we don't bring them here.

Too much money wasted by far but taking on and caring for so many people needing so much extra help is going to compound the problem. If you're not bothered about that, that's fine!

There's an old saying here in Donegal, 'if things get too bad we can always go to the neighbours for something to eat'

You mustn't have heard it in your part of the world

I don't know what we're supposed to do, that's why I asked! Syria hits home with me because I've known some really lovely people from there and the situation makes me feel helpless.

They should stay in camps in or near their country. They'd receive medical attention etc. there. There are a lot of them set up. Or in the first safe country they arrive in.

There's an old saying here in Donegal, 'if things get too bad we can always go to the neighbours for something to eat'

You mustn't have heard it in your part of the world

Problem with this notion is

(1) they were already safe and being looked after in camps
    (2) €640 million per year buys a lot of sliced pans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

So you believe in humanity but......
    You begrudged the elderly people who worked all their lives the pautry raise in the state pension?
    You believe in humanity but would begrudge a family with a disabled member who they look after day and night the extra few piddling quid of the bonus to make things a little easier?
    And you believe in humanity?

M'kay

How about you address the points raised first?

If you can explain to me/justify why a small island nation that is only starting to get back on its feet after a severely damaging recession, and which still has several majorly significant domestic issues to contend with, AND which already contributes over €600 million annually in foreign aid, isn't "doing enough" or "should do more" then I'll be more than happy to debate you

But I won't hold my breath all the same

We're in the top twenty of every economic, socioeconomic, financial, quality of life, how we treat dogs list going, all through the recession.

This is a great fcuking country, and great countries should set the bar, not aim under it.

Not to mention that the cost of housing and caring for one family of two adults and 3/5 kids here would provide a far better life for dozens of families in the camps set up specifically for refugees while also giving a boost to the local areas where these camps are located.

Man cannot live on bread alone.

Who said that? Can't remember, but they were right

And when Europe stops sending money to prop us up and we can't afford to pay our nurses, Gardai, army, doctors etc and the economy collapses what then?? The problem with idealists like you is that they have a blinkered view of the world. Like a child who can't understand why their parents can't just buy them all the toys in the toy shop when there's loads of money for groceries and a car and rent etc.

There's more than enough money in this country to take in a few , maybe thousand, refugees from a country in war.
    What would you do if there was war in this country?
    Would you wish to go anywhere that was willing to take you and your family?
    I pay plenty of taxes in this country and I have no problem looking after poor families fleeing from war.

We're in the top twenty of every economic, socioeconomic, financial, quality of life, how we treat dogs list going, all through the recession.

This is a great fcuking country, and great countries should set the bar, not aim under it.

That could be a FG press release right there.

Now go look up some of the homeless stats, how many families are being put up in hotels tonight, the spiraling rents and how that's affecting people not lucky enough to own a house etc

See, the problem with the "think of the children", "oh the humanity" stuff that's being spouted is it ignores the reality that:

(1) We have more than enough serious issues here at home to deal with without importing others

(2) *and I'm going to put this in bold as it's still being ignored* we ALREADY give hundreds of millions of Euro annually in foreign aid despite the above! Every tax payer in this country has already chipped in to "do their bit" on this one.

They should stay in camps in or near their country. They'd receive medical attention etc. there. There are a lot of them set up. Or in the first safe country they arrive in.

So you and your family would be happy to live in tents for years if the situation was reversed?

So you and your family would be happy to live in tents for years if the situation was reversed?

I thought the argument was that these people were at risk of death/torture/other unpleasant endings if they stayed put at home.

If the choice is "death/torture vs camps and having our needs met" then surely the 2nd is the obvious choice??

Oh wait.. you want "comforts" - but now we're not talking about refugees any more. We're talking about economic migrants.

So you believe in humanity but......
    You begrudged the elderly people who worked all their lives the pautry raise in the state pension?
    You believe in humanity but would begrudge a family with a disabled member who they look after day and night the extra few piddling quid of the bonus to make things a little easier?
    And you believe in humanity?

M'kay

No, I don't begrudge anyone anything they are entitled to , neither do I begrudge displaced refugees a roof over their head and food in their bellies

• Advertisement

There's more than enough money in this country to take in a few , maybe thousand, refugees from a country in war.
    What would you do if there was war in this country?
    Would you wish to go anywhere that was willing to take you and your family?
    I pay plenty of taxes in this country and I have no problem looking after poor families fleeing from war.

The people that are against taking in refugees are generally non tax payers in my experience, it boils down to pure jealousy, they are seeing it as 'their money' being taken away from them.

I pay way more tax than I'm happy paying, but it softens the blow a bit when you see it going somewhere it's deserved

Advertisement