Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers protesting the lodging of refugees in a local authority house(read post 1)

Options
  • 23-11-2016 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Eight members of an itinerant family staged a protest outside County Hall in Castlebar, Co. Mayo today after council officials attempted to move Syrian refugees into a vacant house.
    It’s believed that members of the Traveller family have been on a waiting list for local authority housing for “some time”.

“They are protesting because a vacant house, which has been vacant for some time, is being occupied by a Syrian family when some of their own family members have been on the list for ages, years, and haven’t been housed,” said local councillor Michael Kilcoyne.

Article quoted, courtesy of theJournal.ie

So, the bones and meat are that other travellers have been seeking to claim this house for a while now, only to be pushed aside in favour of a displaced, war-torn family from Syria.

What do you think of this? Should the itinerants or the refugees come first?

Mod-The first sign of Traveller or refugee bashing will be cracked down upon with an iron fist. This is the only warning that will be given.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I thought living in a house wasn't a part of their culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I see the Journal haven't enabled comments on that article, thus saving their regular contributors the stress of having to decide who they hate more, Travellers or refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

DredFX wrote: »
    Eight members of an itinerant family staged a protest outside County Hall in Castlebar, Co. Mayo today after council officials attempted to move Syrian refugees into a vacant house.

So, the bones and meat are that other travellers have been seeking to claim this house for a while now, only to be pushed aside in favour of a displaced, war-torn family from Syria.

This says it all really

"A number of local sources in the town say that a Traveller family living next door to the house in question were “not happy” about the Syrian family being housed there and protested outside the house as a result"

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tomatofruit

I'm heading in to get popcorn. Don't start without me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If they came to protest in new SUV's and Transits let them buy their own house and leave the Syrians alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RayM wrote: »
    I see the Journal haven't enabled comments on that article, thus saving their regular contributors the stress of having to decide who they hate more, Travellers or refugees.

Actually I'm more interested in seeing the left leaning reaction as they'll find it hard to criticise either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mod-The first sign of Traveller or refugee bashing will be cracked down upon with an iron fist. This is the only warning that will be given.

Let's see what Pavee Point have to say.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/3oriff4xQ7Oq2TIgTu/giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The neck of them thinking they can claim houses when they contribute absolutely nothing to the state

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I don't even know where to begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

After hours answer: A fight to the death to see who get the house a simple swift answer to who should get it. Its a daft question with no correct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

:pac::pac::pac:

This isn't the time to be playing Pacman.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

DredFX wrote:

Whoever is the most needy. In this case the refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The irony of travellers protesting about another group getting perceived special treatment. Are settled folk allowed to apply for traveller specific housing? No. Never.seen any protesting outside council offices about that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Worst part is, the refugees will eventually have to be moved. They'll never find peace in that house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People living on the side of the the road in a glorified tin can should not be something we see as a civilised society. If a family had been in a waiting list years, then they should be in line for social housing before people brought in from another country. Everybody should be treated the same. One persons homelessness is less important than the others. If there is a waiting list in place then it should be followed. Of course if the family in question were on the list longer than the travellers then I can understand the outrage over

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Whoever is the most needy. In this case the refugees
    Dats descriminatory against de travelling peeple

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its probabaly been turned down by traveller families before as not big enough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It's no secret that travelers demand to be housed near family. There are whole estates dedicated to one or two families. I feel sorry for the Syrian family. They will most likely not have a good time living in that house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

My thoughts are with the Syrian family. Their troubles are far from over

• Advertisement

It's no secret that travelers demand to be housed near family. There are whole estates dedicated to one or two families. I feel sorry for the Syrian family. They will most likely not have a good time living in that house.

why should the traveller familes get to decide where they live. No other families do. Its take the house or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

After a week of living in Cashelbar they'll be pining for the death and destruction of Aleppo.

After a week of living in Cashelbar they'll be pining for the death and destruction of Aleppo.

its not that bad.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder what genius in Mayo co co thought it was a great idea to house Syrians next door to Travellers.

Maybe Mary Robinson and family will set up a foundation to help them. She has form with refugees and is from around there. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The neck of them thinking they can claim houses when they contribute absolutely nothing to the state

Which group are you referring to?

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Forget about the Syrian army, ISIS and rebels, Travelers are a whole different animal!

I think it's hilarious, if it was settled people protesting against Travelers all the hippies and Pavee Point would be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

People living on the side of the the road in a glorified tin can should not be something we see as a civilised society. If a family had been in a waiting list years, then they should be in line for social housing before people brought in from another country. Everybody should be treated the same. One persons homelessness is less important than the others. If there is a waiting list in place then it should be followed. Of course if the family in question were on the list longer than the travellers then I can understand the outrage over

The people protesting have a house. They live in the house next door to the refugees. They are protesting because they want the house to go to their own family. Sense of entitlement or what ?

irishgeo wrote: »
    why should the traveller familes get to decide where they live. No other families do. Its take the house or leave it.
    Actually there have been plenty of cases of people on housing lists refusing free houses based on location. This type of refusal is however generally restricted to those with little or no work experience or tax contributions. Funny how things work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I dont care whether they are travellers, settled Irish or some polish family here for years, if they are on the list they should be housed before these people being brought in refugees or not that goes for everyone on housing lists where supposed refugees are being housed not just this case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Would you all just wait until EOTR has finished his tea. Bit of manners please

Advertisement