Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers protesting the lodging of refugees in a local authority house(read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

Would I be right in thinking that the Syrians were selected from refugee camps in Lebanon and Turkey etc. You know, by the UN under agreement?

That I don't mind. They are vetted and selected - good.

It's the other mish mash of chancers that I have little time for, complaining about DP and mounting challenge after challenge against deportation on FLA.

But that's the system folks.

If they are getting a house they are refugees who have had their asylum application accepted.

I doubt they will last long in it. Syria could end up looking peaceful for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

road_high wrote: »
    Jesus I just pissed meself at this comment! You're right, one of the most miserable dreariest towns I was ever in Ireland. Pissed rain both times I was there too

Home of the Whingers according to Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Actually I'm more interested in seeing the left leaning reaction as they'll find it hard to criticise either.

It's all the fault of group of homophobic, misogynistic people.

Mike Pence and crew I mean of course.

Muslims and travellers love the gays, and mistreating women is very much frowned upon in both their cultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The refugees are not 'waltzing in'. They have been invited to come to Ireland by the Irish government, as they are from a country which is in the middle of a violent civil war.
    Here are some photographs of Aleppo in case you think the refugees from Syria are trying it on:
    aleppo1.jpg
    aleppo-syria.jpg

How do you know they are from Aleppo?? Ireland is 1/3rd the size of Syria. There are plenty of safe areas in Syria. These are people claiming to be from Syria who the Irish navy have taxied from the med to Europe and now the Irish govt have brought them in with open arms.

What background checks are happening before we house refugees ahead of Irish people on the housing list?? If the GFA ever breaks down and trouble starts up North again, I'll be on the first plane to the USA to "claim asylum"

How do you know they are from Aleppo?? Ireland is 1/3rd the size of Syria. There are plenty of safe areas in Syria. These are people claiming to be from Syria who the Irish navy have taxied from the med to Europe and now the Irish govt have brought them in with open arms.

Proper checks are being done every month, in Greece and the Lebanon, by gardai.
    No refugees are being taken into Ireland without proper background checks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bubblypop wrote: »
    There are more than enough empty houses and estates in Ireland that our own Irish homeless won't live in.
    I'm sure refugees from Syria are just happy to be safe and have a roof over their heads.

Forget the housing for a minute then...

Who do you think is going to pay to feed, clothe, train, transport and house these people? Clue: It's not "the Government" - it's US the taxpayers.

Now, do you not think that we have enough problems here as it is that would be better putting this "spare cash" towards? And again... we have ALREADY given a few hundred mil towards the "cause"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

If the refugee crisis needs solving it needs solving in the private sector. We should force private sector owners to house refugees.

I thought that was the initial problem. All these refugees fleeing bombed out Aleppo etc and they hadn't got time to pick up passports or other documentation in their haste.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Forget the housing for a minute then...

Who do you think is going to pay to feed, clothe, train, transport and house these people? Clue: It's not "the Government" - it's US the taxpayers.

Now, do you not think that we have enough problems here as it is that would be better putting this "spare cash" towards? And again... we have ALREADY given a few hundred mil towards the "cause"!

No, I have no problem with looking after a few hundred refugees from Syria. None at all.
    Ireland has a woeful record looking after refugees over the years.

Donal55 wrote: »
    I thought that was the initial problem. All these refugees fleeing bombed out Aleppo etc and they hadn't got time to pick up passports or other documentation in their haste.

Well there are plenty of background checks being done, including fingerprints being taken.
    So no need to worry.

• Advertisement

If the refugee crisis needs solving it needs solving in the private sector. We should force private sector owners to house refugees.

Sure didn't plenty volunteer when Suds and Geldof put out the call.

Sorry but that's bs and you know it. Who are they ringing in Syria to do background checks on these people?? (If they even are Syrian)

Sorry but that's bs and you know it. Who are they ringing in Syria to do background checks on these people??

I know the checks that are being done.
    Whats your problem with refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

It's up to the council to decide who's more deserving at the end of the day. Don't think it'll work out well for the refugees if they get a place there though. Could be a lot of hassle.

No, I have no problem with looking after a few hundred refugees from Syria. None at all.
    Ireland has a woeful record looking after refugees over the years.

First off, it's more like a few thousand (or tens of thousands ultimately) - not hundreds

Secondly, we already contribute a few hundred million annually to foreign aid

We've done our part. Your argument makes no sense, except maybe from the position of someone with an unjustified guilt complex or seeking approval/validation for your stance.

I know the checks that are being done.
    Whats your problem with refugees?

So explain them to me, who are they contacting in Syria to find out who these people are?? It took me 2 months to get Garda clearance for my job here. What possible checks can be going on in a camp in the Leb or Turkey??

My issue is that there are plenty here that need help. Refugees should be at the bottom of that pile, not forced to the top of it at the expense of Irish people.

First off, it's more like a few thousand (or tens of thousands ultimately) - not hundreds

Secondly, we already contribute a few hundred million annually to foreign aid

We've done our part. Your argument makes no sense, except maybe from the position of someone with an unjustified guilt complex or seeking approval/validation for your stance.

It won't be tens of thousands, a few thousand maybe. And I would think hopefully.
    I don't understand why you have a problem looking after refugees?
    Why wouldn't we?
    Whats the problem?

I don't know what you mean By seeking approval validation?
    I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about me or my ideas.

Well there are plenty of background checks being done, including fingerprints being taken.
    So no need to worry.

How? It is similar to that other clown in Mayo looking to have dog **** tested for DNA . For background checks or dog **** testing you need to have a register or some other form of verifiable checks.
    Id say the births, deaths and marriage or passport office in Aleppo or Raquaa are at best, closed.

It won't be tens of thousands, a few thousand maybe. And I would think hopefully.
    Why wouldn't we?
    Whats the problem?

We can't afford it for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Without wishing to take a position in the travelers v. immigrants argument, it’s worth pointing out that EU member states do not have an entirely free hand in formulating their own asylum policies but are in fact bound by treaty obligations—not, of course, that those are entirely enforceable in the context of the current crisis.

So explain them to me, who are they contacting in Syria to find out who these people are?? It took me 2 months to get Garda clearance for my job here. What possible checks can be going on in a camp in the Leb or Turkey??

My issue is that there are plenty here that need help. Refugees should be at the bottom of that pile, not forced to the top of it at the expense of Irish people.

What expense of Irish people?
    Gardai clearance here and refugee clearance are two different things. Neither effects the other.
    So tell me how are refugees being looked after at the expense of Irish people?

Why wouldn't we?
    Whats the problem?

The "problem" is...

(1) We already contribute a fortune in foreign aid to people like this. No mean feat considering our population size, tax net and economic status.. especially when this money was still going out during the recession!
    (2) These people were already safe in camps. No need whatsoever to relocate them here
    (3) If we have money to spare, we have plenty of legitimate and deserving citizens at home who need that help right now

Given the above.. why SHOULD we look after "refugees", only to satisfy some sort of middle-class guilt complex/"right-on" attention seeking.. and that's just not good enough IMO.

Gardai clearance here and refugee clearance are two different things. Neither effects the other.

Ask the travellers who are the subject of this thread.

How? It is similar to that other clown in Mayo looking to have dog **** tested for DNA . For background checks or dog **** testing you need to have a register or some other form of verifiable checks.
    Id say the births, deaths and marriage or passport office in Aleppo or Raquaa are at best, closed.

What?
    What has refugees got to do with whatever dog stuff you're talking about in mayo?

We can't afford it for one.

Really?
    We can't afford to take in a few thousand refugees?
    Do you really believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    So which group is more oppressed? Any SJWS want to tell us who's where in the hierarchy?
    What happened to libtards or is SJWs the new buzzword. Or are there slight nuances between the two?

It was an example of how long it takes for a background check in a fully functioning first world country, yet you believe that these people are having checks on them no bother from a wartorn country.

Well €640m of Irish taxpayers money goes on foreign aid. That's not counting how much provision centres cost us, or the free taxi service we are running from the coast of Africa.

Then there's the associated cost of refugees here with accommodation, food, schooling, healthcare etc etc etc

Ask the travellers who are the subject of this thread.

Travellers, who want to live in a house when it suits them?
    And wants their next door house to house their relations, when it suits them!
    There are more than enough empty houses in this country to house all, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Really?
    We can't afford to take in a few thousand refugees?
    Do you really believe that?

Yes. Do you live in a cave?? If we bring in ZERO refugees the country is still running at a deficit. It's basic maths.

Advertisement