Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The thought never entered my mind. But when you think about it, is it that crazy to see Conor as president (of the UFC)?

"Will Conor McGregor become the next UFC president?"

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/11/12/13581814/ufc-205-mma-news-opinion-editorial-conor-mcgregor-donald-trump-president

No (to him becoming president)

That's the problem with sites like bloodyelbow and bleacher report. Anyone can just whack up a post and it's treated as an article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Conor v Khabib is a super fight.

Khabib would beat Alvarez easily.

I don't expect Mcgregor to encounter too many problems with Eddie tonight but Khabib beats Conor 99 times out of 100 unfortunately.

He never looks spectacular but is a fighter who will always nullify his opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

price690 wrote:
    He never looks spectacular but is a fighter who will always nullify his opponent.

If he can make it to the octagon. He has to prove he can remain healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭JohnRock

The thought never entered my mind. But when you think about it, is it that crazy to see Conor as president (of the UFC)?

"Will Conor McGregor become the next UFC president?"

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/11/12/13581814/ufc-205-mma-news-opinion-editorial-conor-mcgregor-donald-trump-president

BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

No (to him becoming president)

That's the problem with sites like bloodyelbow and bleacher report. Anyone can just whack up a post and it's treated as an article.

Article/contribution aside, is the idea that a charasmaric and recognisable figure like Conor McGregor could be made UFC president some really outrageous?

No time soon admittedly. But as a possibility it doesn't seem too far fetched that someone who has the appeal of Conor could be used as a figurehead by the UFC after he retires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Conor sees opportunities that other don't.

He'd be a huge asset to the UFC

Article/contribution aside, is the idea that a charasmaric and recognisable figure like Conor McGregor could be made UFC president some really outrageous?

No time soon admittedly. But as a possibility it doesn't seem too far fetched that someone who has the appeal of Conor could be used as a figurehead by the UFC after he retires.

I think so, not because his charisma would disqualify him though but simply because of inexperience. McGregor isn't thick but I wouldn't be handing significant operational control of a $4bn investment to someone with no experience running a business.

Conor sees opportunities that other don't.

He'd be a huge asset to the UFC

Other than a soundbite, what does this actually mean?

He'd be an asset as some sort of ambassador of some shape or form, an elder statesman if you will. Running the show though? No chance in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I think so, not because his charisma would disqualify him though but simply because of inexperience. McGregor isn't thick but I wouldn't be handing significant operational control of a $4bn investment to someone with no experience running a business.

Do you think Dana has a lot of control as president of that $4bn investment? I would be inclined to think he has more say as stakeholder than as UFC president.

Is it not largely a figurehead position? For example Dana would not be surrounded by experts etc who can look at developing markets etc. The new owners would largely have their way. Maybe this isn't the case, but if president is largely a PR position then should he be interested, Conor would be a great candidate for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Do you think Dana has a lot of control as president of that $4bn investment? I would be inclined to think he has more say as stakeholder than as UFC president.

Is it not largely a figurehead position? For example Dana would not be surrounded by experts etc who can look at developing markets etc. The new owners would largely have their way. Maybe this isn't the case, but if president is largely a PR position then should he be interested, Conor would be a great candidate for the role.

Dana is and has been a very important figure in terms of managing fighters and fights. I don't see anything about Conor to say he'd be good at managing anyone.

"You'll sign a new contract or I'll fukin batter the head off ya" probably wouldn't work too well I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's a BS article. Conor has bigger fish to fry. He'll be running his own business. Not some BS corporate position in the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

did he not chair his own post fight presser or did i dream that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The Conor McGregor era of the UFC will go down as the most fun, exciting time in the history of the sport.

There's a great saying - "you don't know what you have until it's gone".

Take Conor out of this week and what have you got left?

Tyron: I'm the welterweight champion of the world and i like reminding people i'm from Ferguson. [Mild boos from a half-asleep crowd.]

Wonderboy: Well gee golly-gosh Mr. Reporter Sir, I sure am excited to fight for all you fine folks in New York. [Mild cheers from crowd.]

Joanna: I am the best in Poland. She can keep dreaming. [2 people scream out "I love you" in Polish]

Karolina: This is my dream. I will win. I like cookies. [crowd: who's she again?]

Weidman: Bisping is a crap champion i'll beat his ass. [half-hearted "NY" chant]

Yoel: (Wait, Yoel is actually here this week?) [Crowd: how the hell does he make 185?]

In 5 years we will look back to a header from Crumlin with his feet on the table in Rio in front of lunatics chanting "You're gonna die" and saying "I own this town!". We'll look back to him telling Chad Mendes he'll rest his balls on his forehead. We'll look back to his fake handshake El Chapo pose with RDA and the amazing banter and cans of Monster energy with Diaz.

Ultimately we'll look back to him dancing his way into the MSG theater in a ridiculous fur coat, shooting air basketball hoops with a huge smile on his face. We'll look back to the most electric crowds the UFC has ever seen. We'll look back to a sea of Tricolours and smiling Irish men and women.

In a day and age when patriotism is sneered upon, I'm proud as fcuk of what this Irish man is doing and I'll always be thankful that he helped drag me into watching this wonderful sport.

Let's go Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

401398.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Lads I am absolutely sick with nerves. Don't think any of his past fights made me this nervous.

Cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Lads I am absolutely sick with nerves. Don't think any of his past fights made me this nervous.

Cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

What's everyone doing to kill the time until the fights

moneyman wrote:

Haha I'm more excited for the whole card than nervous about the outcome of the main event. If he loses he loses. No biggie.

D.Q wrote:

Boozing with the wife ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

D.Q wrote: »

Ireland v Austria- Football 5pm

Ireland v Canada - Rugby 7pm

Cans and food - 9pm-11pm

UFC - 11pm

Duff wrote:
    UFC - 11pm

Its midnight isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

D.Q wrote: »

Football, darts, alcohol.

Not neccesarily in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Its midnight isn't it?

I'm was excited to hit the right number :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The bloke at 1m 21 seconds, sure looks and sounds like 'breaking bad's' Aaron Paul.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Football, darts, alcohol.

Not neccesarily in that order.

Is there darts on the telly tonight?

Most off topic comment on this thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wish I could enjoy his fights but since the Siver fight its been a roller coaster its quite sad that it means so much to me but **** it the mans a legend, I dont support any football teams or anything else this is my emotional investment.

Gamebred wrote:
    Wish I could enjoy his fights but since the Siver fight its been a roller coaster its quite sad that it means so much to me but **** it the mans a legend, I dont support any football teams or anything else this is my emotional investment.

Yeah same here apart from maybe Munster rugby. I'll get bad around 2am.

Gamebred wrote: »

Yep. All his trash talk just makes me more worried.

• Advertisement

Haha I'm more excited for the whole card than nervous about the outcome of the main event. If he loses he loses. No biggie.

what de!!! 2 weeks in the hole for you, no bread just water!!

ha ha ha that last line reminds me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHzUTOOvKg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement