Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭zeroliner

"Superstition is another word for fear" - Conor McGregor, Nov 2016

:)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

"Superstition is another word for fear" - Conor McGregor, Nov 2016

Didnt he say that before the holloway fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

JohnSBG wrote: »
    You guys just haven't seen all the times its happened when there's no cameras, just now we're followed all the time.

This is no act.

...but dont think for a moment it has any effect on tonight. When the ref says fight all the build up fades away. Everything else disappears into silence and you're left with 2 well prepared fighters who, being honest, are much less effected by anything that went on this week than the Internet psychologists would have you believe.

Anyway enjoy the fight guys. This is the best type of fight. Both fighters in their prime and both truly believe they are far superior than their opponent. Its a rare type of match up in MMA and almost never happens in boxing anymore.

Really like to thank you for taking the time to post here John, its most appreciated. Even on the big night when you have a lot on the mind. Win or lose tonight. You and Conor will still be be loved here by us. Honestly never never thought I'd witness an Irish person fight for more then a local ufc in dublin.
    Everything you Conor and all the other Irish fighters has being my most fond sporting memorey. I cant wait for you to break another record later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

John takes time to reassure our bum asses. This thread is un be ****in leasable. Psyched up even more now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Herb can be a little trigger happy with stoppages sometimes.

He's had a few absolute shockers with late stoppages as well. Weidman's wife won't have thanked him for the state he let him get into at 194!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

empacher wrote: »
    Win or lose learn tonight. You and Conor will still be be loved here by us.

Fyp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

JohnSBG wrote: »
    You guys just haven't seen all the times its happened when there's no cameras, just now we're followed all the time.

This is no act.

...but dont think for a moment it has any effect on tonight. When the ref says fight all the build up fades away. Everything else disappears into silence and you're left with 2 well prepared fighters who, being honest, are much less effected by anything that went on this week than the Internet psychologists would have you believe.

Anyway enjoy the fight guys. This is the best type of fight. Both fighters in their prime and both truly believe they are far superior than their opponent. Its a rare type of match up in MMA and almost never happens in boxing anymore.

fight night checklist:
    -gloves
    -mouthguard
    -cup
    -wraps
    -shorts
    -water
    -reassure the boardsies :D:D

nah but seriously john thanks for indulging our madness on here and if you're talking to conor tell him I wished yee all best of luck tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Best of luck tonight Lads :D - Did not expect you in here tonight of all nights! Can you arrange a Boards party night with the 2 weight champ when yer back - that'd be sound like!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Woke in Portland, Oregon at 5AM local time on Friday. Arrived back in Dublin via SanFran at 11:30am this morning. Haven't slept a wink in all that time as I want to be sure I am fresh for my 4am wake up call later. Hitting the scratcher now.

I'm going to be a physical wreck as Conor walks towards the octagon later. The very best of luck to Conor, John and the SBG team. Whatever the outcome you continue to do us proud lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Only in Ireland would you get the coach of an international sports superstar interacting with regular joes on a forum, and without making a big deal of it as well. :pac:

Haven't looked forward to an event as much in my life, the Cage Warriors card is keeping me entertained in the meantime though at least. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

martyos121 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would you get the coach of an international sports superstar interacting with regular joes on a forum, and without making a big deal of it as well. :pac:

Haven't looked forward to an event as much in my life, the Cage Warriors card is keeping me entertained in the meantime though at least. :)

Are you calling me a regular joe :pac: To be fair, when i saw he quoted me again i was like "what did I do this time lol" :o

SBG culture is to leave your ego at the door..... that seems to translate outside the gym too. Great stuff really. Both Conor and SBG are well supported on this forum and country.

Nerves beginning to kick in now. I was fit to puke in the 3rd round of Diaz 2, never experienced anything like it watching any sport!

Nerves beginning to kick in now. I was fit to puke in the 3rd round of Diaz 2, never experienced anything like it watching any sport!

Yeah round 3 and the start of round 4 of the second Diaz fight was one of the tougher sports moments I've experienced. Last minute of Ireland v Wales for rugby grand slam. Munster first Heineken cup. ..let's see how tonight goes.

Yeah round 3 and the start of round 4 of the second Diaz fight was one of the tougher sports moments I've experienced. Last minute of Ireland v Wales for rugby grand slam. Munster first Heineken cup. ..let's see how tonight goes.

I was sitting in the lower tier in Lille for the Italy game in the Euros, the nerves/tension were unreal until we scored but even that was nothing compared to how nervous i felt when Diaz came on strong.

Hindsight is 20-20 but every single time i've watched that fight since without the commentary it's so weird how much I allowed Rogan to influence what i was watching.

I'm supremely confident that he gets the job done - would just much prefer he goes easy on our hearts and KO's him quick Aldo-style lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah round 3 and the start of round 4 of the second Diaz fight was one of the tougher sports moments I've experienced

Exact same reaction I had, pure sick feeling when I saw him gas. His comeback in the fourth round while virtually running on empty was stunning, one of the gutsiest rounds I've seen from any mixed martial artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

The only time a ufc fight had my heart racing was lawlor mc donald. By round three i thought i was going to have a stroke. It was enthralling

In all honesty the Mendes fight is my favourite McGregor fight by far. And favourite weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

In all honesty the Mendes fight is my favourite McGregor fight by far. And favourite weigh in.

The whole build up helped with that I think, best main card ever. It being McGregor's first PPV headline meant all eyes were on him and alot was at stake. When Mendes kept taking him down I was getting disheartened, and then came the last minute of round 2...

shrewdness wrote:
    The whole build up helped with that I think, best main card ever. It being McGregor's first PPV headline meant all eyes were on him and alot was at stake. When Mendes kept taking him down I was getting disheartened, and then came the last minute of round 2...

I remember watching it thinking Mendes was ****ed after three minutes from the body shots. The guillotine scared the hell out of me and that escape was a thing of beauty. After that escape with the crowd cheering and Conor nodding is up there with some of my favourite MMA moments. Amazingly one of my other favourite moments was the same night when Rory and Robbie stared down after round 3?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

chad-mendes-reveals-how-conor-mcgregor-never-shut-up-during-the-fight.jpg

IWCsEnF.gif

What a classic the man gives zero ****s.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Rory and Robbie stared down after round 3?

It was the end of round 4..its the moment where I thought holy **** Robbie Lawler is a pyscho and I love it..when he spits blood on the floor and keeps walking behind McCarthy as him and Rory stare each other down.

https://fat.gfycat.com/GrimQuarrelsomeIvorybilledwoodpecker.mp4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ASOT wrote: »
    Cant believe wonder letting himself down and getting banned this close too 205; USADA really clamping down.

WTF?!?!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    WTF?!?!

haha. This is a long story but safe to say he doesn't mean Stephen Thompson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

haha. This is a long story but safe to say he doesn't mean Stephen Thompson :)

Phew

I thought I'd miss his smooth Karate stylings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Gamebred wrote: »
    chad-mendes-reveals-how-conor-mcgregor-never-shut-up-during-the-fight.jpg

IWCsEnF.gif

What a classic the man gives zero ****s.

One of my favourite moments from that fight was when the first round ended with Mendes on top, Conor just got up and laughed in his face(go to 2 minute mark below). Mendes must have been wondering what's wrong with this lad, or how do I break him. He mentioned after in the presser that Conor kept talking shít all the time he was on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Axwell wrote: »
    It was the end of round 4..its the moment where I thought holy **** Robbie Lawler is a pyscho and I love it..when he spits blood on the floor and keeps walking behind McCarthy as him and Rory stare each other down.

https://fat.gfycat.com/GrimQuarrelsomeIvorybilledwoodpecker.mp4

probably my favourite non-mcgregor mma moment! intense!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Phew

I thought I'd miss his smooth Karate stylings

I personally think Woodley is gonna catch him with a haymaker :/

Rooting for Wonderboy obviously. Was nice to see Conor give Wonderboy a warm embrace/hug backstage.

Rooting for Wonderboy obviously. Was nice to see Conor give Wonderboy a warm embrace/hug backstage.

In fairness he seems like one of the nicest guys on the planet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

So many epic moments in that one, John Kavanagh laughing while Conor elbowed the head off him from guard was hilarious also this

e8a28c26604798a04d476d032f7283e1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I personally think Woodley is gonna catch him with a haymaker :/

its hard to get over that running feint attack he does.
    wonderboy needs to keerp his distance and well you know , kick :)

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote:
    So many epic moments in that one, John Kavanagh laughing while Conor elbowed the head off him from guard was hilarious also this

You've hit the nail on the head. The laugh from JK blew me away. How the hell could he be calm. Conor sitting up and laughing at the end of round 1. The pic you posted of conor saying bring it. On the cage with roddy, artem and JK breaking down when he won. Epic stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement