Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Just wondering what the difference is between Hue White and Hue White Ambience, is there much of a difference - what rooms are they ideal for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

duffer247 wrote: »
    Just wondering what the difference is between Hue White and Hue White Ambience, is there much of a difference - what rooms are they ideal for?

Hue Whites are a consistent/unchangeable hue (despite the range name) - dimmable, but no warmth adjustment available. Hue White Ambiences are adjustable from a cool/cold white light to a warm/yellowish one. I suppose the basic white bulbs are better suited to spaces that you aren't interested in adjusting the warmth in (corridors, utility rooms, etc?).

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

alastair wrote: »
    Hue Whites are a consistent/unchangeable hue (despite the range name) - dimmable, but no warmth adjustment available. Hue White Ambiences are adjustable from a cool/cold white light to a warm/yellowish one. I suppose the basic white bulbs are better suited to spaces that you aren't interested in adjusting the warmth in (corridors, utility rooms, etc?).
    Nice one thanks
    Thinking ambience in bedroom and white for hallways

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

duffer247 wrote: »
    Nice one thanks
    Thinking ambience in bedroom and white for hallways

Yes, exactly this. I'd highly recommend the ambiance for bedroom, living rooms and any other rooms you spend lots of time in (office, maybe kitchen, etc.).

Hallyways, utilities white only might be fine.

However I'd also say ambiance for bathrooms.

The reason for bathrooms, office, kitchens, is that you can change them from the normal warm white to bright white which is more like day light, this is very useful for doing detailed work, like putting on makeup, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭supue

Ordered my starter kit last night - started a simple search on amazon for something which could turn a light on at a certain time when we're away from the house. I should've known a simple €10 item in my head had the risk of turning into a much more expensive solution :-)

Is there a risk of any of these mesh/non-standard wireless networks interfering with each other - are there specific standards for these such as wifi that they should all work together? I've motorola baby monitors which have their own network (I think) in the house and a few Sonos'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

supue wrote: »
    Is there a risk of any of these mesh/non-standard wireless networks interfering with each other - are there specific standards for these such as wifi that they should all work together? I've motorola baby monitors which have their own network (I think) in the house and a few Sonos'.

The baby monitors and sonos both use he same frequencies as wifi. Hue lights use zigbee protocol which uses much shorter wave frequencies the wifi, so they shouldn't interfere with one another.

BTW most of the mesh systems use one of two protocols, zigbee or zwave. Stuff using the same protocol try to avoid interfering with one another, but it is possible for other devices using the same frequency but different protocols to cause issues. But for the most part it is pretty rare, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Anyone taken the plunge on Innr bulbs? Compatible with Hue bridges (and Hue app)...

Reviews seem good and seems to have the same functionality as the Hue equivalent but GBP10 cheaper (for the GU10s at least).

I notice they haven't been on sale for very long so no indications on reliability over a longer period....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

garion wrote: »
    Anyone taken the plunge on Innr bulbs? Compatible with Hue bridges (and Hue app)...

Reviews seem good and seems to have the same functionality as the Hue equivalent but GBP10 cheaper (for the GU10s at least).

I notice they haven't been on sale for very long so no indications on reliability over a longer period....

Why would philips allow them to be compatible with the hue bridge? seems an odd business model considering they are undercutting Philips own bulbs. Might try these.

Going to pick up a couple i need two more for upstairs to go with my Hue's. Quick question i presume they will work with the motion sensor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The amazon reviews are very good. Might pick up a couple of B22 colour ones instead of Hue for a £40 saving.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Their colour bulbs (B22/E27) are about £20 cheaper than hue as well.

I'd rather myself going Hue only, though thats easy enough for me to say with 41 hue bulbs already installed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If I was doing a full house/apt. I'd definitely look at splitting the spaces into primary & secondary locations... these bulbs would definitely find a home in corridors, stores, bathrooms, pantries etc... with Philips in the main spaces where ambience is most prominant...

A WARNING. In the past Philips blocked these bulbs in the Hue bridge firmware. People complained and they reversed that decision but they said the reversal was temporary and they might do it again!

Personally I wouldn't buy a large number of relatively expensive bulbs that could become useless at any time! *

They aren't that much cheaper then the Hue bulbs when they are on sale. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk. Actually I think it is quiet mad to even consider them!

I'd agree with Bluefoam's advice above, If you really do want to use them, I'd only use them in less importaant secondary locations.

* Useless in terms of their advanced features, they will still of course work as a basic bulb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I wish they would get the finger out and release an e14 bulb. Im tempted to get some e14s from other brands that work with the hub, but id prefer to stick with phillips, id also be worried if they do ever release and E14 they would block all other e14s from working.

Also BTW the above GU10 isn't directly comparable with the Hue GU10. The Innr one is white only, while the Hue one is white ambiance. That means the innr one can only turn on/off and dimm, but it can't adjust it's white temperature like the Hue ones can.

Really white ambiance is well worth have for any main room location or any place you might want to do detailed work.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I wish they would get the finger out and release an e14 bulb. Im tempted to get some e14s from other brands that work with the hub, but id prefer to stick with phillips, id also be worried if they do ever release and E14 they would block all other e14s from working.
    What other brands work with the hub?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

apart from innr i believe the osram ones work too.

bk wrote: »
    A WARNING. In the past Philips blocked these bulbs in the Hue bridge firmware. People complained and they reversed that decision but they said the reversal was temporary and they might do it again!

Personally I wouldn't buy a large number of relatively expensive bulbs that could become useless at any time! *

They aren't that much cheaper then the Hue bulbs when they are on sale. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk. Actually I think it is quiet mad to even consider them!

I'd agree with Bluefoam's advice above, If you really do want to use them, I'd only use them in less importaant secondary locations.

* Useless in terms of their advanced features, they will still of course work as a basic bulb.

Good to know bk thanks. I was only thinking about it afterwards the place where i would be putting these already has one hue white ambiance so the colours wouldn't even match (use energise for during the day). Think i'll wait until the hue whites are down in price

Is there any issue with having a pair or lights on the same switch one halogen via transformer and one hue GU10 directly into the mains?
    I've installed a couple of hue GU10 LED for my old halogens but they have all been on their own switch up until now. Basically can you have one light with a transformer and one directly into the mains?

Can you mix or am i asking for trouble?

jones wrote: »
    Is there any issue with having a pair or lights on the same switch one halogen via transformer and one hue GU10 directly into the mains?
    I've installed a couple of hue GU10 LED for my old halogens but they have all been on their own switch up until now. Basically can you have one light with a transformer and one directly into the mains?

Can you mix or am i asking for trouble?

I don't see why you couldn't do this,

when I did my kitchen, I did 4 first, then the remaining 6, but each time I fitted a hue, I would go back to the wall switch and check it to see if it was working ok, so during the phase, I was powering some new hue's as well as the remaining halogens via their transformer.

I don't know why you'd want to do this though as you would need the switch turned off for all lights off, and then you would have no hue control. you would then turn on the switch and have the halogens on while you messed around with the hue lights via the app/dimmer switch.

for me hue needs to be the only source of light in any room, its either all in or nothing at all, thats why I've 10 GU10's in my kitchen as well as 2 light strips with extensions.

I don't see why you couldn't do this,

when I did my kitchen, I did 4 first, then the remaining 6, but each time I fitted a hue, I would go back to the wall switch and check it to see if it was working ok, so during the phase, I was powering some new hue's as well as the remaining halogens via their transformer.

I don't know why you'd want to do this though as you would need the switch turned off for all lights off, and then you would have no hue control. you would then turn on the switch and have the halogens on while you messed around with the hue lights via the app/dimmer switch.

for me hue needs to be the only source of light in any room, its either all in or nothing at all, thats why I've 10 GU10's in my kitchen as well as 2 light strips with extensions.

I hadn't thought about the power side of things sure i'd have to leave the halogen all the time to have access to the hue ha. I'll just order another bulb and change both at the same time.

Amazon.co.uk still seem cheapest for me if i order in sterling. Pity there are no sales on anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Am I missing something or is there no white B22 starter kit available? I see this kit available in edison, but no similar with B22 - just not something they make?

I wanted to start with this and dont need ambience yet (porch and hall only), though I'm sure I'll be bitten by the bug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

bk wrote: »
    Use iConnectHue app on iOS, it is much more flexible.

I'd being mulling over buying this app but it became a must when I bought a dimmer switch recently due to the restrictive nature of the official app. I was about to buy a second dimmer, but I don't think I've any need (maybe not until I add more lamps) due to the much greater flexibility of iConnecthue, it really is a great app.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Shred wrote: »
    I'd being mulling over buying this app but it became a must when I bought a dimmer switch recently due to the restrictive nature of the official app. I was about to buy a second dimmer, but I don't think I've any need (maybe not until I add more lamps) due to the much greater flexibility of iConnecthue, it really is a great app.

Looks like this is an iOS app only. The only Android one I can see with extra fuctionality is All4Hue. Seems like there's plenty of additional options but a little confusing to use.

If anyone uses has anything better on Android let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

So I'm trying to get Alexa to control both my kitchen and front room using the official app to set up but can't find a solution so am trying to use yonomi.

I want to be able to turn off and on the lights in the two rooms with one command for each "turn downstairs off" "turn downstairs on".

Messing about in the app I've set up both routines.

Now when I say "Alexa turn downstairs off" it works and the two Iris and the lightstrip in the kitchen turn off, but when I say "Alexa turn downstairs on" I get "ok" but nothing happens if they are off and if they are on it turns them off!

Both routines work as set when used in the app.
    There must be a simple way of setting this up?

Edit: got it sorted. I had to delete the routines I made myself, then use two recommended prepare ones "all lights on" and "all lights off". Delete the lights I didn't want, rename them both to "downstairs on" and "downstairs off" and now they are working.

A lot of pfaffing about to get it done but got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭supue

My white and colour starter kit arrived today with three bulbs - it was a quick dash to install them before kids bedtime. Immediately noticed a big drop in brightness in the rooms where they were installed as I was dropping down from about 100W bulbs to about 60W equivalents with the new set.

First impressions on the colours were slightly disappointing tbh (I thought they'd be more impressive), however I think a lot of this was based on installing them as main bulb as opposed to lamp lighting (where I think they'll be) and getting used to the new levels of brightness. My wife wasn't impressed with the colours one bit and asked me to set back to normal asap!

App and network are great - I've two wifi networks in my house due to thick walls, I like the fact that I could control the lights regardless of which network I was connected to - frustratingly can't do similar with my Sonos once I'm on a different wifi.

Are there apps which can set phases - I saw on routines that you can have lights go off night and come on in the morning (seemed to be 60 mins then on/off), however I'd like something which sets a landing light for example to ~30% dim from 11pm to 7am in case the kids wake up?

Are there apps which can set phases - I saw on routines that you can have lights go off night and come on in the morning (seemed to be 60 mins then on/off), however I'd like something which sets a landing light for example to ~30% dim from 11pm to 7am in case the kids wake up?

All in the hue app;
    Create a new scene for the landing that only sets the light(s) to come on very low (there is actually already a default scene called nightlight which is about 10% brightness anyway)
    Set a routine for your landing (nightlight scene, or your own custom scene) to come on from 11pm - 7am

Job done.

It is possible to have multiple routines all running at various times, in as many or as few rooms as you want.

Example;
    Landing on full brightness from 6pm to 10pm (with or without fade in/out)
    Landing to come on low (nightlight) from 11pm-7am
    It's 2 routines for 1 room, just at different times (it's actually 4 routines, 2 on and 2 off)

And on and on and on....... as often as you like.

You can set that up in routines-my routines. Set up two routines, one to turn landing light on at 11PM, you can choose the brightness level, and another routine to turn it off.

I use routines in the morning and at night.

Edit: actually you may have to make a custom scene first to get the exact brightness and colour you want but it's very simple to do that. Once you have save it as "landing nightlight" or name of your choosing, then when setting up the routinejust add that scene to be activated.

I have a total of 10 routines that run daily

In the old app it was about 30/40 individual timers, but given the new app let's you add up to 4 rooms to a routine I was able to condense it down to the 10

Also those 800 lumin bulbs do give off the equivalent brightness of a 60 watt bulb, they use a little under 10 watts of power so they are extremely energy efficient.

For colour I always think it is more suited to mood lighting, splashing colour onto walls etc. or else a few bulbs at least used together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Having good fun with Thorlight for hue. Good app. Bit of a learning curve but much prefer it to iConnectHue. Using it for animations more so than routines or sensor or switch programs.

Advertisement