Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Am I missing something or does the official hue app only allow routines based on time? I was hoping I could set up routines based on sunrise/sunset. I've used IFTTT to set up what I need, but it seems strange given the bridge has my location listed.
    Thinking of getting the starter pack, though the lack of bayonet type bulbs as a bit annoying. I know there's adapters but that's just Phillips providing a bit of an ugly fix.

I was the same - there doesnt seem to be a bayonet starter kit in standard white (non-ambient) bulbs. I bought the Edison Screw kit and picked up adapters in Ikea (2 for €1.50) Yes, it's a bit of a pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

For those of you with gu10s, how are they working out? I ask in that other members of my family have a few halogen (LEDs, better?) ones that seemingly don't last long. Hoping this is not the case in hueland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

For those of you with gu10s, how are they working out? I ask in that other members of my family have a few halogen (LEDs, better?) ones that seemingly don't last long. Hoping this is not the case in hueland.

I've had 10 colour GU10's in my kitchen/dining room for about 3/4 months now and they are brilliant (they replaced 10 50w 12v Halogens).

I've had 4 GU10 White Ambiance on my landing for about 2 months now, and they are also great (they replaced 4 standard LED GU10's).

The ones in the kitchen/dining room are great, they do everything the halogens did and so much more, I use the concentrate/energise whites early evening, and have them go a more traditional warm white later on or when dining.
    I have a dimmer switch on the wall for dimming/changing tone on/off, as well as a sensor for night time.

The landing ones wouldn't get used that much, but I have them timed on very low early evening, and around when the little guy goes to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've read here that they need a deeper fitting than traditional spots - if I am planning re-wire/new ceilings, should I buy one in advance to show architect/builder what they look like, or is there similar off the shelf available with same dimensions? Thanks.

I've read here that they need a deeper fitting than traditional spots - if I am planning re-wire/new ceilings, should I buy one in advance to show architect/builder what they look like, or is there similar off the shelf available with same dimensions? Thanks.

My kitchen & landing fittings are these (which are not limited to GU10 only) so the only limit is the space in the ceiling above it (in my case, both kitchen & landing had ample space)(my kitchen/dining room lights were also not GU10, but were GU5, so I bought 10 GU10 fittings on eBay and easily wired them in while also removing the 12v transformers at each light).

You might have an issue with this type fitting though as bulb size matters, (as theres only so much room inside for a bulb)

The Hue GU10 colour is a lot bigger than a standard GU10 size bulb (but again in my situation, with my fittings, there were no issues)
    The Hue GU10 White Ambiance bulb is a lot more closer to a regular GU10 bulb in size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm sure this has already been discussed... But I'm trying to find the best apps to use with my Hue lights.

I'm on Android and so far have:
    • hueManic
    • Hue Halloween Connect
    • Hue Disco
    • Hue Fireworks

The first one has more or less been cancelled out by the last three, which are all by the same developer.

I'm also planning to have Hue Disco set up to react to movies, but a dedicated app would be much better... Just not one that needs your phone camera to be pointed at the TV.

Add your favourites... We can keep a rolling list.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm also planning to have Hue Disco set up to react to movies, but a dedicated app would be much better... Just not one that needs your phone camera to be pointed at a TV

SyncMyLights does this, it's an iOS app (not sure if it's available on Android), it has a movie library with dynamic scenes for each movie, and actually works very well.

I'm considering some wall washers... They don't have to be anything spectacular, but would prefer something with the colour ambience (current gen) & can stay plugged in all of the time. I'm confused about the price points, is there something I'm missing? Do they have different capabilities?

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/27709/409049.png[/IMG][/URL] 10w, Lumens 210, £15.00

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/27709/409050.png[/IMG][/URL] 6w, Lumens (variable), £69.95

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/27709/409051.png[/IMG][/URL] 8w, Lumens 120, £119.99

I don't really know what I'm looking at... Makes sense for me to get a couple of the Iris Lamps... @ £15 is there something I'm missing?

The Hue Iris lamps are more than £15,

There is a non hue Iris that works with a remote control that some people have got to work with Hue.

The Bloom is only €70 in Woodies, and most places online. (I think the starter kit is £120 for 2 blooms and a bridge)

The Hue Iris lamps are more than £15,

There is a non hue Iris that works with a remote control that some people have got to work with Hue.

The Bloom is only €70 in Woodies, and most places online. (I think the starter kit is £120 for 2 blooms and a bridge)

Thanks... Glad I asked, or I'd be sitting here waiting for delivery of lights I didn't want...

So, is there any reason to pick one of these lights above the others?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I've Blooms and a Go's and the Go's are way way brighter and throw more light out. I wanted them to throw light on my walls and for this I'll never buy any of them other than a go again. I'd recommend them.

You can unplug the goes and carry them around to different places. The battery lasts about two and half hours. Though I rarely do this anyways.

They where on sale at 48 each on amazon before Christmas I got a couple.

I think the iris is way more than 15 too. At least 50 I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ordered a Go from Apple.ie. Should have it by Tues, will see how it, er, goes.

Ordered a Go from Apple.ie. Should have it by Tues, will see how it, er, goes.

I'd have waited for Amazon to have another sale, they've had a few over he last few months where the Hue Go was down to £46

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

When you say bypass the wires as normal switch, can you elaborate? Do you mean having the switch there but it not actually doing anything when you might use it, i.e. its always on unless you wire it in? Sorry, not to0 familiar with wiring.

Yep, pretty much thats what I mean. The idea being that you can revert to normal functionality when/if you want to.
    What would/could the neutral be for?

Lots of z wave in line switches require a neutral at the switch point to work, so if I was rewiring, I would ensure a nuetrual was present.
    I'll probably go for 2 cat 5 or 6 in each living room and the master bedroom to allow for decent wired broadband and maybe hdmi (or whatever) over cat 5/6. Not sure I'd wire it to where I would usually put a light switch though.

What I was talking about was wiring a cat5 cable to each light switch point to allow for light control via other methods. For example, loxone, cbus, velbus type solutions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Folks has anyone used the Philips Hue 230 V Wireless Lighting Dimmer Switch as there main switch in a room?

My bedroom regular mains lightswitch broke (on off switch just fell off one day) so i was thinking this could be the perfect time to HUEify the room. Can i use the Philips Hue 230 V Wireless Lighting Dimmer Switch as my main switch? So basically Cap off the mains at the switch and install the Hue dimmer switch where the old switch use to be? They look a lot skinnier than the normal switch but i'm not sure if its just the photo that makes it look that way.

Anyone used them or any reason why this wouldn't work?

jones wrote: »
    Folks has anyone used the Philips Hue 230 V Wireless Lighting Dimmer Switch as there main switch in a room?

My bedroom regular mains lightswitch broke (on off switch just fell off one day) so i was thinking this could be the perfect time to HUEify the room. Can i use the Philips Hue 230 V Wireless Lighting Dimmer Switch as my main switch? So basically Cap off the mains at the switch and install the Hue dimmer switch where the old switch use to be? They look a lot skinnier than the normal switch but i'm not sure if its just the photo that makes it look that way.

Anyone used them or any reason why this wouldn't work?

You can use them, i have 6 in total. you'll just need to make sure the original broken switch is closed always on) and then you'll just use the dimmer switch for control.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can use them, i have 6 in total. you'll just need to make sure the original broken switch is closed always on) and then you'll just use the dimmer switch for control.

Yes, however they are a lot skinnier then the old switch, so they won't fully cover the old switch space, but it shouldn't be a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

bk wrote: »
    Yes, however they are a lot skinnier then the old switch, so they won't fully cover the old switch space, but it shouldn't be a major issue.

I thought they looked a good bit skinnier alright. Thanks for the help guys i'll start looking into getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Is there no option for random lighting any more on the app.

What's best option for this if away on holidays and set random lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm looking for a starter kit with the b22's but I can only find the screw in ones as a starter kit. Is there a starter kit with b22s

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a starter kit with the b22's but I can only find the screw in ones as a starter kit. Is there a starter kit with b22s

Yes, on Amazon

Select any starter kit, and once in, your can then select which type of fitting you want under 'Style Name'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes, on Amazon

Select any starter kit, and once in, your can then select which type of fitting you want under 'Style Name'

Nice one cheers. Seems to only work for the expensive ones the normal ones you can't switch style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

niallo27 wrote: »
    Nice one cheers. Seems to only work for the expensive ones the normal ones you can't switch style.

Had the same issue. I didn't want colour or ambiance, just the standard whites. Ikea do bayonet to Edison adapters for €1.50 a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hi all, quick question for you. I spotted the above starter pack on littlewoods http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-hue-white-e27-led-starter-kit/1600034920.prd?gclid=CjwKEAiAxKrFBRDm25f60OegtwwSJABgEC-Zx1EVsmFH6aQkDivQ-Eqw6IlWefdxeMJOgGksaUsuPhoCnZvw_wcB#sku=sku18072721?cm_mmc=google-_-categorymissing-_-pushchairs-_-na_174701740765&utm_medium=cpc&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid_&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=*Shopping%20-%20Child%20&%20Baby&utm_term=na&utm_content=174701740765&profileid=491&keywordid=na&productgroupid=pg362163&device=m

A friend of mine is knocking through a bedroom wall and making two bedrooms into one. It's not possible without a lot of hassle to rewire the lights in the room so the plan was to maybe put in some form of smart lighting. The two lights would be left on and two philips hue light bulbs connected. The above starter pack just seems to have the 2 bulbs and the hub from what I can see. Does that mean he will always need a smart phone to turn on the lights in the room or is there a remote that can be got and used instead of the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Philips have a dimmer switch that you can use for this purpose.

http://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/productdetail/philips-hue-dimmer-switch#overview

DarrenG wrote: »
    Philips have a dimmer switch that you can use for this purpose.

http://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/productdetail/philips-hue-dimmer-switch#overview

If I'm understanding this correctly, you can use the dimmer switch to control the light without the need for the hub? So if it's just for the bedroom could you just buy the switch and 2 bulbs instead of the starter pack and the switch separate?

glic83 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question for you. I spotted the above starter pack on littlewoods http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-hue-white-e27-led-starter-kit/1600034920.prd?gclid=CjwKEAiAxKrFBRDm25f60OegtwwSJABgEC-Zx1EVsmFH6aQkDivQ-Eqw6IlWefdxeMJOgGksaUsuPhoCnZvw_wcB#sku=sku18072721?cm_mmc=google-_-categorymissing-_-pushchairs-_-na_174701740765&utm_medium=cpc&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid_&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=*Shopping%20-%20Child%20&%20Baby&utm_term=na&utm_content=174701740765&profileid=491&keywordid=na&productgroupid=pg362163&device=m

A friend of mine is knocking through a bedroom wall and making two bedrooms into one. It's not possible without a lot of hassle to rewire the lights in the room so the plan was to maybe put in some form of smart lighting. The two lights would be left on and two philips hue light bulbs connected. The above starter pack just seems to have the 2 bulbs and the hub from what I can see. Does that mean he will always need a smart phone to turn on the lights in the room or is there a remote that can be got and used instead of the app?

Whatever your decision is, you should be able to get that kit for about 60 euro, not 85

Whatever your decision is, you should be able to get that kit for about 60 euro, not 85

Well it won't be for me , friend is the one getting the work done and was just looking to know his options, I was just using that link as an example of the kit. But thanks for the head up ref the price. So would this be the best solution or is there a better set up for his bedroom?

glic83 wrote: »
    Well it won't be for me , friend is the one getting the work done and was just looking to know his options, I was just using that link as an example of the kit. But thanks for the head up ref the price. So would this be the best solution or is there a better set up for his bedroom?

As others said, you have a number of opyi9ns to control the bulbs including remotes etc.

However, if he is knocking walls and stuff, I would still suggest that he wires in a switch as normal in the location he would normally, just so he can revert to normal.

• Advertisement

As others said, you have a number of opyi9ns to control the bulbs including remotes etc.

However, if he is knocking walls and stuff, I would still suggest that he wires in a switch as normal in the location he would normally, just so he can revert to normal.

It's the dividing room that he is knocking through so the switches will still be in the original positions but it would be a good bit of work to get the two lights wired up together.

Advertisement