Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There's a good app called SyncMyLights for watching movies, it will sync up the hue lights with the movie you're watching.
    They have an ever growing list of movies in the library, and the effects can be pretty good with the colour bulbs.

Newer version is much more responsive and the auto sync (via phone microphone) works much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just received my hue starter kit and led strip, but not setting up fully yet, because I've also decided to move apartments... So I've just put two bulbs in the living room...

I'm a bit confused by the app... Have I got the correct app? It seems very limited, I don't see any colour controls etc.

Any suggestions?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Just received my hue starter kit and led strip, but not setting up fully yet, because I've also decided to move apartments... So I've just put two bulbs in the living room...

I'm a bit confused by the app... Have I got the correct app? It seems very limited, I don't see any colour controls etc.

Any suggestions?

The newer app is more awkward in my opinion for setting specific colours,

it can still be done however, just select the room you want, and on each light bulb in that room, press the circle thats a particular colour, this should open up the entire colour palette for you to select which colour you would like that particular bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I've had something strange happen with our Hue lights since last night - Google Home started saying some of the lights weren't available, then the Harmony remote wouldn't respond, then no lights responding to either GHome or Harmony but the Hue app was still working.

As of the last hour, the Hue app is saying the lights are not responding. I've tried restarting the hub and the router. Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Sorry if this has been answered already. Is there a way of setting up an applet in IFTTT where the lights turn on when you arrive home, but only if it's dark outside? There is one that turns the lights on when I get home but I find the lights on in the morning, which is obviously not ideal. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Update for anyone else with the same issue as I posted - turned off lights off by the switch, unplugged the Bridge and my router and left them off for about two hours. Turned everything back on and they came back no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Double C wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered already. Is there a way of setting up an applet in IFTTT where the lights turn on when you arrive home, but only if it's dark outside? There is one that turns the lights on when I get home but I find the lights on in the morning, which is obviously not ideal. Thanks in advance

There is a thing called numerous you can use.

They really need to add booleans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

In relation to the first post
    But might people not accidentally turn off the light via the old light switch? Any way to protect against this?

Yes this can happen, specially when family and friends are visiting and aren't use to it. People use a variety of methods to protect against this.

- Similar to above, the following are more discrete version of the above for a standard UK switch. Very easy to install and still allow you to use the light switch in an emergency using a paper clip, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchSafe-socket-protector-prevent-accidental/dp/B01634O2MS/ref=pd_sim_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VMS1BH456Z1G9YN2XCRS
    I bought these and they don't fit over the light switches. I emailed the company and they said they are not intended to cover light switches they are for sockets.
    Has anyone used anything else to cover light switches as both of us trying to get out of the habit of using switch and use Echo instead?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I bought these and they don't fit over the light switches. I emailed the company and they said they are not intended to cover light switches they are for sockets.
    Has anyone used anything else to cover light switches as both of us trying to get out of the habit of using switch and use Echo instead?

You know that answer from them confuses me as I've found most homes use the exact same switch for sockets as they do for the light switches! In the end they are both just a switch.

Some one else had the same issue in this thread, but they found they could get it to fit by filling done one side of the cover. Maybe you cold try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

new to HUE - so silly question:
    if i have the hue light switched off via the app/alexa and i want to switch on the light but dont have phone/alexa.. can i switch off the wall switch off and on?
    would that light the bulb?

if i put this in kids room, i am wondering what are the options to switch it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

new to HUE - so silly question:
    if i have the hue light switched off via the app/alexa and i want to switch on the light but dont have phone/alexa.. can i switch off the wall switch off and on?
    would that light the bulb?

if i put this in kids room, i am wondering what are the options to switch it on

Yes it will turn on that way.

Would be even better if it did it to turn it off as well, but unfortunately you can only turn it off using the the smart function, IE, if you toggle the switch of and back on again the bulb remains on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nice update to the official app. You can now change to colour of a room by just moving over the colour pallet, instead of just individual lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

The app has a much neater look now as well. Nice update

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

jones wrote: »
    The app has a much neater look now as well. Nice update
    Does it update automatically? Mine looks the same and can't see an Update option

dendof wrote: »
    Does it update automatically? Mine looks the same and can't see an Update option

are you on iOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

are you on iOS?
    Ah no, I'm on Android

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

dendof wrote: »
    Ah no, I'm on Android

Go into the play store and check your apps to see if you have an update. It might be set to only update on wifi or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It completely messed up my apple home app. Lights not responding etc. Still trying to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

It completely messed up my apple home app. Lights not responding etc. Still trying to fix it.

When updated the official app asked me did I want to update Home which I said yes to but havent checked it as I rarely use it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh it seems to now sync the names of rooms between Hue App and Home and i had renamed all the ones in Home. It also couldnt connect to half my bulbs\lamps\sensors but i restarted the HUb and it fixed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok nearly Hue'd out getting one white bulb for the landing and was looking at getting some for kitchen just have to check as lights in there are reflector bulbs so will hold off on that
    Picked up new TV and now looking at possible purchasing the Hue light strips for behind the tv. Wont be used to light up the room just more for affect etc when watching movies. Has anyone put any strips behind TV and have they put them on the TV itself, the tv stand or the skirting around back. ?
    Also price not coming down seem to be £60+ on amazon uk etc any other online stores selling them before the hole in my pocket from the cc gets bigger

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sorry if this has been answered, but I can't search the thread on my phone.

With the starter kit, im thinking I'd use it in a few lamps I have. Does that mean I'd have to turn lamps on/off with the hue app? A wireless panel on the wall would be a bit weird/overkill for a single lamp, but having to use your phone every time to turn on/off a light would be a bit of an inconvenience.

Ifttt could automate loads of that, but a simple "turn the light on for a second there" would be more awkward.

Have I got this right, or is there a solution?

Sorry if this has been answered, but I can't search the thread on my phone.

With the starter kit, im thinking I'd use it in a few lamps I have. Does that mean I'd have to turn lamps on/off with the hue app? A wireless panel on the wall would be a bit weird/overkill for a single lamp, but having to use your phone every time to turn on/off a light would be a bit of an inconvenience.

Ifttt could automate loads of that, but a simple "turn the light on for a second there" would be more awkward.

Have I got this right, or is there a solution?

You can turn them on, by quickly toggling the local switch off and back on again, but to turn them off, you need to use a controller of some sort.

Unless you just permanently turn them off at the lamp bit then you lose the automation aspect

You can turn them on, by quickly toggling the local switch off and back on again, but to turn them off, you need to use a controller of some sort.

Unless you just permanently turn them off at the lamp bit then you lose the automation aspect

That answers that. When turning the switch off and back on, do the lights turn on to a default colour and brightness? Or do they return to their last brightness and colour settings?

Thinking of getting the starter pack, though the lack of bayonet type bulbs as a bit annoying. I know there's adapters but that's just Phillips providing a bit of an ugly fix.

That answers that. When turning the switch off and back on, do the lights turn on to a default colour and brightness? Or do they return to their last brightness and colour settings?

Thinking of getting the starter pack, though the lack of bayonet type bulbs as a bit annoying. I know there's adapters but that's just Phillips providing a bit of an ugly fix.

I only have white bulbs but I just tested and if I dim them, then turn them off, and then manually turn them on, they come on to 100%

The lights will always come on to a default setting of warm white regardless of the bulb type (colour, white ambiance, white) & regardless of what they were previously set at.

Hue come in bayonet bulbs (B22) as well as E27 (Edison Screw)

The lights will always come on to a default setting of warm white regardless of the bulb type (colour, white ambiance, white) & regardless of what they were previously set at.

Hue come in bayonet bulbs (B22) as well as E27 (Edison Screw)
    Cool, for some reason I could never find them.

I had an idea for automating my living room bulbs, whereby if my TV connected to the network, they'd dim to a nice TV watching glow. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though there's any ifttt application to monitor network connected devices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What would people do if they were rewiring and were thinking about hue in the main living areas? Would you wire to have lights always on and have a hue switch in each room?

What would people do if they were rewiring and were thinking about hue in the main living areas? Would you wire to have lights always on and have a hue switch in each room?

I would wire switches as normal, and bypass them, so you can revert to normal if you ever choose to.

I would also ensure a neutral is present at each switch, and TBH, I'd throw in a cat 5 cable as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

When you say bypass the wires as normal switch, can you elaborate? Do you mean having the switch there but it not actually doing anything when you might use it, i.e. its always on unless you wire it in? Sorry, not to0 familiar with wiring.

What would/could the neutral be for?

I'll probably go for 2 cat 5 or 6 in each living room and the master bedroom to allow for decent wired broadband and maybe hdmi (or whatever) over cat 5/6. Not sure I'd wire it to where I would usually put a light switch though.

Advertisement