Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

If anyone happens to have a spare Hue hub can you PM me please?

Had one lined up but it's fallen through and I've got 4 GU10's on the way from Amazon that I'm dying to play with ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

garion wrote: »

Had one lined up but it's fallen through and I've got 4 GU10's on the way from Amazon that I'm dying to play with ! :D

I'm pretty sure BigAl81 has one - send him a PM.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=228551

• Registered Users Posts: 4 meathgirl2011

Hi htere. we are considering starting up the philips hue in our new home but are rather confused! Does anyone know if the dimmer switch can be customised to turn on different rooms using different buttons/consecutive presses? E.g. one tap would turn on the sitting room and two taps would turn on the bedroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi htere. we are considering starting up the philips hue in our new home but are rather confused! Does anyone know if the dimmer switch can be customised to turn on different rooms using different buttons/consecutive presses? E.g. one tap would turn on the sitting room and two taps would turn on the bedroom?

Not from the Hue app. Probably doable via iConnectHue on iPhone or similar on Android.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It can be done in the Hue app

a dimmer switch can be assigned to a maximum of 2 rooms, you can then preset what up to 5 presses of the button will do.

example;

1st press: sitting room on (any scene can be selected), bedroom off
    2nd press: sitting room off, bedroom on (again, any scene)
    3rd press: both on (any scene for each room)
    4th press: same as above in any combination you want, all on, all off, 1 on 1 off etc..
    5th press: all off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

garion wrote: »

If you're still looking for a hub I have one for sale that I got with two lux bulbs back in December but it's sitting in its box now as I got a starter kit last week with another hub.
    Give me a pm if you're still stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

Roen wrote: »
    Anyone have the issue where they have to input the serial number of their new bulbs before they are picked up? Happened with my last three despite them being in the same room as the hub.

I got three coloured ones from amazon.fr and had to input the serial number for each one and they were in the same sockets as the white version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

PreCocious wrote: »
    I got three coloured ones from amazon.fr and had to input the serial number for each one and they were in the same sockets as the white version.

I wonder is it something to do with firmware versions after the latest round of updates on the hub. Odd that it's only the colour ones that need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

I posted this in the Bargain Alerts thread yesterday. It's still available, so I'm adding it here too in case you missed it:

The Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp is down to £46.99 the cheapest that it has ever been. I have one already & I just bought three more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

It can be done in the Hue app

a dimmer switch can be assigned to a maximum of 2 rooms, you can then preset what up to 5 presses of the button will do.

example;

1st press: sitting room on (any scene can be selected), bedroom off
    2nd press: sitting room off, bedroom on (again, any scene)
    3rd press: both on (any scene for each room)
    4th press: same as above in any combination you want, all on, all off, 1 on 1 off etc..
    5th press: all off

Hi,

Did anyone manage to actually do this? When I try have one room on and one room off with a single button press I can't do it.

I have to pick a scene for the "off" room and there is no 'off' option in the list to pick from, at least not in the offical Hue App anyway?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Use iConnectHue app on iOS, it is much more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Just picked up a richer colours starter kit for £147 delivered on Amazon... From the warehouse.

Anything else I've ever got from the warehouse has been brand new so hoping the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just picked up a richer colours starter kit for £147 delivered on Amazon... From the warehouse.

At that price it would want to be. Got mine from Amazon EU S.a.r.L. for the same price last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

New ones down to £149 so cancelled the Warehouse ones and ordered the new ones. Better safe than sorry.

Got cheap Chinese bulbs working through IFTTT, Tasker, Auto Input & Join but it's too clunky long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok thinking of getting a dimmer switch as I get discount in John Lewis:

http://ie.johnlewis.com/philips-hue-white-led-wireless-dimming-kit/p2229480

Have 2 Hue bulbs downstairs and thinking of putting this third one on the landing.I also have Hue bulb in bedroom along with the Hue Go in the bedroom also.How does the dimmer switch work? So if I want to flick between dimming the lights downstairs to that on the landing can it distinguish them in any way or does the dimmer switch just work on the one light bulb assigned to it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok thinking of getting a dimmer switch as I get discount in John Lewis:

http://ie.johnlewis.com/philips-hue-white-led-wireless-dimming-kit/p2229480

Have 2 Hue bulbs downstairs and thinking of putting this third one on the landing.I also have Hue bulb in bedroom along with the Hue Go in the bedroom also.How does the dimmer switch work? So if I want to flick between dimming the lights downstairs to that on the landing can it distinguish them in any way or does the dimmer switch just work on the one light bulb assigned to it?

It works with the bulb or group of bulbs that you assign it to in the Philips app.

If you use the iConnectHue app you can do other features and have it control other bulbs throughout the house using multiple taps, but is a bit tricky IMO and not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

So if I put the dimmer switch on the wall downstairs would I be able to control the lights on the landing and the 2 downstairs via the dimmer? At the moment I am using Alexa to turn on lights so more interested in getting the bulb than the dimmer but just trying to find a use for the dimmer as OH keeps on turning the lights off via the switch. Going to cover up the switches and maybe replace with dimmer switch but would want this to have the ability to dim lights upstairs and then dim lights downstairs or easier sticking to Alexa?

Cheers

So if I put the dimmer switch on the wall downstairs would I be able to control the lights on the landing and the 2 downstairs via the dimmer? At the moment I am using Alexa to turn on lights so more interested in getting the bulb than the dimmer but just trying to find a use for the dimmer as OH keeps on turning the lights off via the switch. Going to cover up the switches and maybe replace with dimmer switch but would want this to have the ability to dim lights upstairs and then dim lights downstairs or easier sticking to Alexa?

Yes, it can control all the lights in your home if that is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

bk wrote: »
    Yes, it can control all the lights in your home if that is what you want.

I thought it was up to 4?

Just checked the official hue app and it's a maximum of 2 rooms

matrim wrote: »

Use iConnectHue it offers far greater flexibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bluefoam wrote: »

The first strip you link is the original strip which cannot be extended from its 2m, and also only does colour.

The new lightstrip plus (the 2nd one you linked) is newer, can be extended with up to 10 1m extensions (giving a max length of 12m and also does full colour like the original, as well as the white ambiance colours which I believe the original lightstrip didn't do

The starter kit you link is the latest version (richer colours)

matrim wrote: »

You could do it in the original hue app, you can set the dimmer to control an many lights as you want, the only thing is the original app won't give you the multi press function that the newer app can do, so although you could have all your bulbs set to 1 dimmer switch in the original app, you'd only have on/off & dimmer functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The new lightstrip plus (the 2nd one you linked) is newer

Thanks, is this the latest led strip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So i received an offer from philips, 2 colour bulbs, a light strip and a hub for 179. its not worth it for me as i already have a hub but it might be of interest to someone here.

Yes, its version 2 light strip +

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So i received an offer from philips, 2 colour bulbs, a light strip and a hub for 179. its not worth it for me as i already have a hub but it might be of interest to someone here.

How did you get that offer as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭irelandrover

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How did you get that offer as a matter of interest?

I live in Holland and it was an offer as part of the voice of Holland. All the Hue bulbs i have in my house interact with the TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I live in Holland and it was an offer as part of the voice of Holland. All the Hue bulbs i have in my house interact with the TV show.

That's a nice way of getting people to pick up a few bulbs. Someone in marketing did a great job :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yes but don't buy it at the current price. Amazon are out of stock so right now it's marketplace sellers. Amazon do it for £70. I have a list of stuff to order and did up a spreadsheet to make sure I'm ordering the right amount of everything. 69.98 is the price I noted a couple of days ago for the strip. Should have ordered it then - was going to place the order tomorrow but now will wait until they restock.

Once deal I noticed was this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Philips-Personal-Lighting-Wireless-Dimming/B0148NMVRE
    Plain white and switch for £30. When separately they are £35.

Advertisement