Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

For me, I have all aspects of my lights set to a routine, so I've only really to use the app now in odd situations where I need a certain light on outside of its set routine (but even this is being eliminated with sensors)

So I've a routine in the morning to turn certain rooms on, and another routine to turn them all off again.

Same again in the evening, I've a routine to turn the kitchen & living room & offices on at about 3pm, and another routine at about 5pm to turn the living room & kitchen from concentrate to relax scenes, while also turning the offices off (60 minute fade)

I don't really bother with home/away as I work from home, so I'm pretty much always home, and if not me, either her mother or my mother is here looking after our son.

I've actually hit the limit a few times with the amount of routines the bridge can store (which is a bit shït really), but I've chopped and changed a few to stay under the limit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Have you tried Ifttt? I have the hall and landing light set to to come on at sunset using that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Orion wrote: »
    Have you tried Ifttt? I have the hall and landing light set to to come on at sunset using that.

I've seen that referenced on the forum, but am not really sure what it's about. I thought it was a protocol/algorithm that underlies this whole technology. Just got the app there now.
    adox wrote: »
    I have a routine set for the morning for the lights to come on downstairs. Another one for when I leave and then have them set again for the evening.
    So I've a routine in the morning to turn certain rooms on, and another routine to turn them all off again.

Same again in the evening, I've a routine to turn the kitchen & living room & offices on at about 3pm, and another routine at about 5pm to turn the living room & kitchen from concentrate to relax scenes, while also turning the offices off (60 minute fade)

I don't need anything on from 7am-5pm as I'm not there. I don't really get home until 6:30 or later most of the time due to traffic or around 8pm due to training. Having the lights come on as it gets dark would be good for security, etc.

Let's see if this sounds right as a demo. My Routines, Routine 1 - When should it start - 07:35. Fade - Instant. Where - 2 rooms. Off. Routine 2 - When should it start - 16:45. Fade - Instant. Where - 2 rooms. Hallway - Bright, Other - Dimmed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

OK, set up a test routine before I went to the cinema. Just as the film was about to start I thought I had forgotten something in the app. Couldn't check until the film was over. All was fine.

Success. :cool:

Now to order more stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi there,

Would anyone know where I might get an adapter to convert a B22 bulb so it will fit in an E27 lamp?

I was in Ikea but they only sell converters the other way around!

Hoping to physically pick one up tomorrow, hoping not to have to wait a week if I go the Amazon route.

Thanks!
    P.s. I have a spare hue hub if anyone is looking feel free to PM me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Would anyone know where I might get an adapter to convert a B22 bulb so it will fit in an E27 lamp?

Hoping to physically pick one up tomorrow, hoping not to have to wait a week if I go the Amazon route.

IKEA had them, but I think they've just been out of stock since before Christmas. Been looking for the same myself. Popped back in a couple of times, but no joy yet.

I know you don't want to go down the online route, but your best bet would be eBay and a U.K. Seller (you might even find an Irish seller). And hope to get them by the end of this week.

Hi there,

Thanks!

Where are you. Local hardware store in maynooth has them and Lenehans on Capel Street has both adaptors.

I put this in the what do you have thread instead of here so forgive the repost:

Question regarding the strip lights - how long is the power cable? Looking at putting some strips in the living room but the plugs are all near the floor and want to put them at the top of the walls. There is one area where the power lead would be relatively hidden but would need to be about 3 metres long. Also how realistic is it to replace the main sitting room light with just strips? Currently the chandelier is broken and haven't replaced it yet. Might be an option to just remove it and use strip lights instead.

I put this in the what do you have thread instead of here so forgive the repost:

Question regarding the strip lights - how long is the power cable? Looking at putting some strips in the living room but the plugs are all near the floor and want to put them at the top of the walls. There is one area where the power lead would be relatively hidden but would need to be about 3 metres long. Also how realistic is it to replace the main sitting room light with just strips? Currently the chandelier is broken and haven't replaced it yet. Might be an option to just remove it and use strip lights instead.

From the plug to the little controller box it's about 2.3m, and only about another 10-15cm from the box to the beginning of the light strip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Maybe I am making assumptions on the ready availability of E27 bulb holders but why go for B22 - E27 converters rather than replace the B22 bulb holder with an E27 bulb holder? Are they not available?

From the plug to the little controller box it's about 2.3m, and only about another 10-15cm from the box to the beginning of the light strip.
    Great thanks. I'll get out the measuring tape so :)
    Advbrd wrote: »
    Maybe I am making assumptions on the ready availability of E27 bulb holders but why go for B22 - E27 converters rather than replace the B22 bulb holder with an E27 bulb holder? Are they not available?

Laziness :pac: It is relatively easy to replace the socket but getting an adaptor is easy and cheap.

Advbrd wrote: »

I remember 3 years ago they were very hard to find, I eventually found some in Woodies I think, but I had to buy the lot, including about 2m of cable as well as the ceiling cone, cost me about €12 each I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Where is best value for lightstrip at the moment? My Black Friday order has been cancelled as seller did not confirm that order was shipped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Big Al, I've pm'd you twice today about that spare hub but the messages don't appear to be in my Sent Messages. Just wondering if you got them?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Where are you. Local hardware store in maynooth has them and Lenehans on Capel Street has both adaptors.

Just bought one in Lenehans, €6.99 :eek: bit steep if you're planning on buying a few

duffer247 wrote: »
    Just bought one in Lenehans, €6.99 :eek: bit steep if you're planning on buying a few

yeah not cheap. They are good quality but at that price I'd probably look at replacing the sockets instead if I was doing a few.

Anyone use this extension? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Cable-Compatible-Philips-LightStrip-x/dp/B01MQCE4KG
    6 metres for 20 pounds seems too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

duffer247 wrote: »

Was obviously just behind you. €6.99 is steep, but they've got the same adaptors priced at €10.99 on the same shelf.

Just added the new bulb to the bridge, but Alexa's app back end seems to be down, I can't refresh the skills for either Hue or Harmony.

Anyone use this extension? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Cable-Compatible-Philips-LightStrip-x/dp/B01MQCE4KG

Sounds about the going rate for what is simply an extension chord for hue strip lights,
    With anything like this, it's third-party, so if you're happy enough with the reviews, go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

A friend just brought me back a starter kit from new york, only problem is the bridge power cable is a US version.
    Any idea where I could pick up our version? I'm assuming I will need to buy the whole power unit rather than just the actual plug head fitting

kellsred wrote: »
    A friend just brought me back a starter kit from new york, only problem is the bridge power cable is a US version.
    Any idea where I could pick up our version? I'm assuming I will need to buy the whole power unit rather than just the actual plug head fitting

The light bulbs will also be 110V and will not work in Ireland/Europe.

The bridge adaptor may very well accept voltages from 110v-240v (like most chargers/adaptors will), but the bulbs will be 110/120v only and will not work in Europe which is 230/240v

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bk wrote: »
    I have four colour GU10's in my living room, but they get used as just white bulbs 95% of the time.

Yes, the new light fittings look great and I've already pre-ordered one for my kitchen. I agree a pity they are white only.

Sorry for quoting you from page 1 bk, but I'm in the middle of changing the light fittings in my living room and I'm looking to go Hue bulbs whilst I'm at it.

What light fitting do you have in the living room? I'd like to have GU10's as well but I'm finding it hard to find a good fitting that hides the the majority of the bulb, I'm super picky :pac:.

I've also two wall lights that are flanking a mirror, and would like something to match the main light.

My Kitchen and living room are connected by a doorway (with no door) and was thinking of putting a light strip over it, can these be affixed and go around right angles?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm dying to get smart lighting into the home but the light fitting has become a thing (we've already bought two fittings and have brought them back) :pac:.

Came home to see the routine had kicked in as planned, grand. When pottering about the house, the lights defaulted being activated by the sensors. I then went out running and thought the routine would stay on, but nope. I think this was addressed a few pages back, so apologies for the repetition - the sensors may override the routine if you're on the premises, yeah? I turned them off before the run and just left a few lights on a lower brightness via the app. That was fine.

On sensors, I'd prefer if there was a third option, so that I could do brightness between some hours, then dimmed, and the night option for the very small hours, but dimmed is fine for passing through the landing to go to the loo at 4am.

Need to get moving with IFTTT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sorry for quoting you from page 1 bk, but I'm in the middle of changing the light fittings in my living room and I'm looking to go Hue bulbs whilst I'm at it.

What light fitting do you have in the living room? I'd like to have GU10's as well but I'm finding it hard to find a good fitting that hides the the majority of the bulb, I'm super picky :pac:.

Well my apartment originally came with MR16 spot lights. These lights were held in place by a fitting in the ceiling. The fitting is an open backed one, with the bulb attached to a lose MR16 connector. I replaced this MR16 connector (and transformer) with a GU10 connector. I left the ceiling fitting in place and the GU10 bulbs fit in them perfectly fine.

Mine look something like this:

http://ledstore.volkalighting.com.au/gu10-lamp-holder/

I kept the ceiling fitting from the MR16's (the bottom white part in the picture) and only replace the connector (the white cable part). I hope that makes sense. The Hue GU10 bulbs are completely hidden in the ceiling.
    I've also two wall lights that are flanking a mirror, and would like something to match the main light.

Maybe these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Phoenix-Personal-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B00UEMFF5O/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1483489889&sr=8-20&keywords=philips%2Bhue%2Blights&th=1

Our you could just use the Hue light strips in place of the lights.
    My Kitchen and living room are connected by a doorway (with no door) and was thinking of putting a light strip over it, can these be affixed and go around right angles?

I think so, but I don't have one myself, so I'll leave others confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

yeah not cheap. They are good quality but at that price I'd probably look at replacing the sockets instead if I was doing a few.

I got 2 adapters in Dwyers Electrical in Cork for €4.60 today. (€2.30 each) . Good quality as well, the only thing being that they're black instead of white as they were out of the white ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone have the issue where they have to input the serial number of their new bulbs before they are picked up? Happened with my last three despite them being in the same room as the hub.

Roen wrote: »
    Anyone have the issue where they have to input the serial number of their new bulbs before they are picked up? Happened with my last three despite them being in the same room as the hub.

I've had to do that the odd time, but it was a case of the bulb being quite far away from the bridge.

although 9 of my 10 GU10's in the kitchen connected up fine, one of them I had to put the serial number in, I guess it just happens sometimes, and I would be too worried about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

I used some to span gaps in the cabinets at the window and found them great, the connectors fitted perfectly.

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    I used some to span gaps in the cabinets at the window and found them great, the connectors fitted perfectly.

Ah - I misread what it was. It's not a light strip - just a length extension. Price makes sense now.

Advertisement