Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

glic83 wrote: »
    It's the dividing room that he is knocking through so the switches will still be in the original positions but it would be a good bit of work to get the two lights wired up together.

Hue seems like a good solution for this so.

Here is a pack with a bulb and switch in it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Philips-Personal-Lighting-Wireless-Dimming/B0148NMVRE/ref=pd_sim_201_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=14KBJ2CYZ0HKJJCNJBZW

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A Hue Dimmer switch can pair with up to 10 Hue bulbs without the need for a Bridge/Hub

This however would only provide the most basic of functions, on/off as well as the ability to dim.

If down the line you wanted to add colour bulbs, a bridge/hub would really be needed as using a dimmer switch alone will only give the same basic functions as above (regardless if a colour bulb or not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Huelights wrote: »
    I just bought the Philips Hue starter pack, I'm not sure though if I should buy the hue motion sensor or the samsung smartthings motion sensor. Advice welcome!

Might be a silly question but do you have the smartthings hub? The hue motion sensors aren't picked up by smartthings (at least not natively and they are flaky when hacked in) so if you use samsungs hub then they can't be used to trigger automations.
    The smartthings sensor also can't be picked up by the hue bridge. So if you use the hue bridge then the Samsung sensor is similarly useless.

If you do have the smartthings hub then the smartthings sensor can be used to trigger hue lights and other automations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bulb seems to have gone on the blink. Too tired to investigate in full tonight. Puzzled. It just went off and became unreachable. I deleted it, now it can't be added.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Amazons Cloud services were down for a few hours last night. Lots of the internet uses their cloud services, not just Amazon. Lots of the internet was broken last night. Could have been the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

bk wrote: »
    Amazons Cloud services were down for a few hours last night. Lots of the internet uses their cloud services, not just Amazon. Lots of the internet was broken last night. Could have been the cause.

It's part of a set of 5 in one room. I tried it in a lamp the following morning, in non-Hue mode. Worked straight away. Glitch in the matrix. Re-added it to the 5 and added it again via the app. Was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just got the Philips Lightstrip but there is not enough length for what I want so going to buy the extension leads. Using it for the back of TV but heard that they have a tendency to fall off. Was recommended Gorilla Double sided tape
    Any views on their stick ability and what they have used to keep them stuck to surfaces

Just got the Philips Lightstrip but there is not enough length for what I want so going to buy the extension leads. Using it for the back of TV but heard that they have a tendency to fall off. Was recommended Gorilla Double sided tape
    Any views on their stick ability and what they have used to keep them stuck to surfaces

Their stickiness is pretty poor (and I'm using mine lying on the flat above my kitchen units), so I decided that it would be staying there forever and super glued it in place.

for behind a TV, I'd definitely superglue it, it's the only way you'll get good clean contact without it bubbling and coming away from the plastic frame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Their stickiness is pretty poor (and I'm using mine lying on the flat above my kitchen units), so I decided that it would be staying there forever and super glued it in place.

for behind a TV, I'd definitely superglue it, it's the only way you'll get good clean contact without it bubbling and coming away from the plastic frame

I have mine stuck under the kitchen cabinets and ive had no issues with the stickiness.

I have mine stuck under the kitchen cabinets and ive had no issues with the stickiness.

the problem is though when he goes to turn 90 degrees at each corner, that stickiness will be about as effective as a chocolate kettle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

mine didnt really stick, but to be honest i didnt clean the dust off the top of the kitchen cabinets first! they tell you to do that for a reason! i ended up gluing down the ends to keep them from popping up.

Cheers

Rather not use glue as new tv so may try double sided tape

Cheers

New TV/OldTV, what does it matter, it's your TV!

Of course try with the already applied sticky that comes on the light strip, but as I said, going around corners will be a nightmare, and even double sided sticky tape won't help you if you want it to look neat & tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Cheers

Command strips?

Got the strips and managed to stick them to back of tv and holding up well. Had to buy extension strip as would not fit around the TV. Only issue was getting the corners as but of a B... and they protrude but not concerned to much as well hidden.
    Watching film last night and Pretty good. Pretttttttty, pretttttttttty, pretttttty good.

Got the strips and managed to stick them to back of tv and holding up well. Had to buy extension strip as would not fit around the TV. Only issue was getting the corners as but of a B... and they protrude but not concerned to much as well hidden.
    Watching film last night and Pretty good. Pretttttttty, pretttttttttty, pretttttty good.

Get the SyncMyLights app,

It works with movies and adjusts hue to suite the scenes in a movie

Get the SyncMyLights app,

It works with movies and adjusts hue to suite the scenes in a movie
    Cant see it in the play store only on IOS......?

Cant see it in the play store only on IOS......?

Ah, apologies, I guess it's only available on iOS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ah, apologies, I guess it's only available on iOS

There's similar apps on Android

Bluefoam wrote: »
    There's similar apps on Android

Any that you would recommend?

• Advertisement

Any that you would recommend?

Can't recall, but had one at one stage after I bought the lights, proved very impractical to sit the phone facing the TV... Used hue disco for a bit, but it's all a bit finicky and not so straight forward to use....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is it not distracting having lights behind a telly while watching it? Cant quite see the point, though happy to be shown that I'm wrong as then I'd have a reason to buy another strip!

Is it not distracting having lights behind a telly while watching it? Cant quite see the point, though happy to be shown that I'm wrong as then I'd have a reason to buy another strip!

I just turn off all lights other than these and lights just enhanced the viewing. Kind of gimmicky but no complaints so far.. like a small cinema

I have a bloom behind the TV in our bedroom and it's a really nice feature behind the TV

Though it's only ever used in a low warm setting,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Roen wrote: »
    In addition to the e14 bulbs. Does anyone have a Hue Being or a Hue Still ceiling light? Thinking of getting two for the hall. Hard to find a review for them anywhere.
    R.

Well after three months wait the Hue Being lamp finally shipped today!

As far as I know the Being, Still and Fair Hue lights were all hit with recalls and Philips had to start over manufacturing of these products. They are hard to pick up.
    Used DMlights in the Netherlands. They should also have them back in Amazon before long too, lead time says 1-2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Guys Im a ios user have been for years and use it on my iPhone to control my bulbs when home and away and also use the app with an iPad.

Im jumping ship most likely from an iPhone to an Android device and was just wondering is the official app the same on Android as ios?

Also would I have an issue having both an ios device(iPad)and Android device(phone)connected to it?

adox wrote: »
    Im jumping ship most likely from an iPhone to an Android device and was just wondering is the official app the same on Android as ios?

It is, though I find the third party apps for Hue available on Android to be far inferior to the iOS ones (iConnectHue, etc.)
    adox wrote: »
    Also would I have an issue having both an ios device(iPad)and Android device(phone)connected to it?

Non at all, I use iOS the other half uses Android. everything works fine. The settings are kept on the bridge, all the apps just interact with the bridge.

The advantage of still having the iPad is that you can still use the better third party apps like iConnectHue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I have a bloom behind the TV in our bedroom and it's a really nice feature behind the TV

Though it's only ever used in a low warm setting,

YNWA!! :D;)

Want to set up lights so they come on and off at certain times. Trying to figure it out.

Anyone help with assistance or best way?

• Advertisement

Want to set up lights so they come on and off at certain times. Trying to figure it out.

Anyone help with assistance or best way?

Can be done with the Hue app...

Advertisement