Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O Neill on rape culture.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

There's a toolbox out there missing a spanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

She sounds like she has based all her opinions from reposts on Tumblr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bluewolf wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like anyone did deck them though does it
    Instead we have guys lining up to say "well *i* wouldn't do it so it doesn't count"

Ok but all I can do is be me
    I don't see rape culture and if I did I'd be angry
    I'm sure there are wierdios out there but they are not the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

bluewolf wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like anyone did deck them though does it
    Instead we have guys lining up to say "well *i* wouldn't do it so it doesn't count"

To be fair, I personally have punched a guy who was trying to subtly grope a then girlfriend of mine.

Bouncers saw me hit him and I got thrown around by the bouncers and kicked out. Very hard to not come across as the aggressor in that circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Connacht2KXX

I've bashed Louise O'Neill on boards many times so maybe 1 more time won't hurt.

The left love making up new terms that use inflammatory language that doesn't match the term, so as to stifle any criticism and paint themselves as the victim. "Rape culture", "islamophobia", "white privilege", "fatphobia" etc etc all fall under this banner.

Definition of rape - "A criminal offense defined in most states as forcible sexual relations with a person against that person's will".
    Definition of culture - "the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society".
    Therefore, the definition of rape culture should be - "where rape is an integral part of the ideas, customs and social behaviour of a particular people or society".
    Of course, this is not the definition of rape culture according to O'Neill and other western feminists/sjws.

Their definition of rape culture - "rape culture is a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality...Behaviours commonly associated with rape culture include victim blaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence, or some combination of these" (taken from Wikipedia).
    Even this soft definition cannot be completely applicable to the western world. For example, I am considered a victim blamer if I say that a woman who gets wasted and walks home from a club at 4am and gets raped in an alley increases their chances of getting raped, yet is just as innocent as a man who gets raped at knife point on his way home from work. Furthermore, "some forms of sexual violence" include rape jokes, sex jokes and even interrupting women in a conversation. Many people openly say that there is widespread rape in the world, such as in the Middle East, the Congo and even in some parts of western Europe, such as Cologne on NYE, (cue the claims of racism, islamophobia, bigotry etc) yet claim that the figure that 1 in 4 women will get raped on campus is blown way out of proportion. This is considered "denial of widespread rape". The people who trivialise rape tend to be the feminists who make up these terms and make the definition of rape so broad that even arguing with a woman can be considered rape. They also never give a shít if men get raped, even though men get raped more than women. I have never seen a feminist protest outside of a prison, demanding the guards to help protect the victims of rape. I never saw feminists protesting when a man in the 80s got life in prison for rape, his wife divorced him, after 25 years he got out after being proven innocent due to DNA testing, got only $4m dollars in compo from the government (should have got at least $40m) and his wife was able to sue him for a few hundred grand in alimony payments. And good ol Louise can claim that our rape culture is so pervasive in Irish society because we teach women not to get raped, not men not to rape. I could write another 5 pages on why this is so unethical and plain stupid but I won't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I'm going out on the rape tonight.

Sorry I mean to say 'I'm going out on the pull', not the rape , the pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭zeroliner

She writes good books, but has bought into her "FAME" and is over estimating her influence and power as of late

She also has the worst dress sense ever, and needs someone with a bit of cop to do her makeup for TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

zeroliner wrote: »
    She also has the worst dress sense ever, and needs someone with a bit of cop to do her makeup for TV.

Congrats, you just raped her with those statements by noticing something about her femininity. You should be ashamed :mad:

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Congrats, you just raped her with those statements by noticing something about her femininity. You should be ashamed :mad:

She needs lip filler too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

I've bashed Louise O'Neill on boards many times so maybe 1 more time won't hurt.

The left love making up new terms that use inflammatory language that doesn't match the term, so as to stifle any criticism and paint themselves as the victim. "Rape culture", "islamophobia", "white privilege", "fatphobia" etc etc all fall under this banner..

We should refer to Louise and those like her as feminist extremists or justs extremists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eh no L, what she wears or doesn't wear, or what she looks like shouldn't and doesn't mean jack shít. For me this sorta thing comes down to; does her premise and presentation of premise pass muster, end of, full stop, period for our 'Merican viewers. And for me, it doesn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

We should refer to Louise and those like her as feminist extremists or justs extremists.

Extremists are people whose beliefs and actions stray away from the basic tenants of a particular ideology. O'Neil regurgitates the common feminist/sjw ideas and phrases - ie rape culture, white privilege, heternormative. There's not a chance in hell she authentically came up with this shít herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

zeroliner wrote: »
    She writes good books, but has bought into her "FAME" and is over estimating her influence and power as of late

Who gives a flying crap about what she wears?

I don't agree with her opinions on a lot of stuff, but saying absolute dribbling nonsense like this does not help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

learn_more wrote: »
    I'm going out on the rape tonight.

Sorry I mean to say 'I'm going out on the pull', not the rape , the pull.

Ah now, don't be talking about exerting force to draw someone towards yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

She just comes across as someone pretending to be offended by everything for the sake of getting attention.

As for me, a woman who has been through rape/assault, I see no rape culture in Ireland.

I see sexism, and scummy comments, and drunk men who need to be given a shove before they accept "no" as an answer. But I also see the same in women.

And that's not rape culture. That's a small % of fcuking morons that all societies have to deal with because there are some assholes everywhere.

The majority of people are good. Some are assholes. Assholes do not equal rape culture.

Sonics2k wrote: »

I don't agree with her opinions on a lot of stuff, but saying absolute dribbling nonsense like this does not help at all.

It was an aside.

People will find something to be offended over, where ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

She just comes across as someone pretending to be offended by everything for the sake of getting attention.

As for me, a woman who has been through rape/assault, I see no rape culture in Ireland.

I see sexism, and scummy comments, and drunk men who need to be given a shove before they accept "no" as an answer. But I also see the same in women.

And that's not rape culture. That's a small % of fcuking morons that all societies have to deal with because there are some assholes everywhere.

The majority of people are good. Some are assholes. Assholes do not equal rape culture.

Well said you...

Me too. I've had two really bad experiences. Louise O'Neill and her ilk don't make me feel any better about what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

darkdubh wrote: »
    Can anyone give a clear definition of what "rape culture" actually entails?

Rapes happening sometimes. Oh, and guys trying to cop off with girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

This thread is going to be more grist to Louise's mill. Stand by for more primal screaming and floods of tears.

• Advertisement

This thread is going to be more grist to Louise's mill. Stand by for more primal screaming and floods of tears.

She dedicated half an article in the examiner a few months ago about her online trolls when boards put up a thread criticising her. In the eyes of feminists, criticism = hate.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Sonics2k wrote: »

Daft comment to make but it has to be said she's milking it for all it's worth.

http://www.her.ie/life/twitter-is-on-fire-over-a-derogatory-comment-made-about-louise-oneills-outfit/318753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

She dedicated half an article in the examiner a few months ago about her online trolls when boards put up a thread criticising her. In the eyes of feminists, criticism = hate.

Not just feminists, pretty much all young people.

So used to living in a hugbox where everyone is considered equally brilliant by default that if they encounter the slightest critism they are "being bullied".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

As stated earlier, men are more likely to be physically assaulted or murdered in society. Yet we don't scream violent culture.

With regards sexual assault, when I was younger I had my ass pinched, crotch grabbed and asked how big my Penis was by girls in night clubs. I was by no means a frequent clubber. From discussions on here and elsewhere I'm not the only guy.

In the work place I've witnessed banterish comments of a sexual nature towards me and other guys from female staff. it's laughed off and not really a big deal but if men did it...

So should the raving feminists of today include women in their rape culture mantra? HIGHLY unlikely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the eyes of feminists, criticism = hate.
    Just like an extremist group then.
    py2006 wrote: »
    So should the raving feminists of today include women in their rape culture mantra? HIGHLY unlikely.
    True, but the rest of us, men, women, whomever don't need to be lining up with them in the Victimhood Olympics either. There's an arms race of daftness going on already, we need to dampen it down, not escalate it.
    A cynic might suggest it pays her bills. It does too and like any of these "columnists" a large part of me says fair play to them for getting away with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Not just feminists, pretty much all young people.

So used to living in a hugbox where everyone is considered equally brilliant by default that if they encounter the slightest critism they are "being bullied".
    I would say it's more the increasing prevalence of online echo chambers. Ten years or so ago when the internet became fully mainstream where it went from an environment mostly populated by nerds and the computer literate to most "ordinary" people(and with mobile devices everyone and their grannies). It was more a generalist environment as far as non techie discussion went. It was novel for many so they just dove in. Over the years the once generalists started to hang out with like minded people as humans will and factions became more set and echo chambers grew. Facebook, Reddit, twitter and more extreme in outlook sites, even ecosystems like whatsapp have become more popular. On all subjects.

We can even see it here on Boards as it evolved. Boards was/is a more middle of the road environment, not unlike wider Irish society. The proof of this is that you'll have extreme lefties moaning and leaving because "it's becoming too right wing" and extreme righties moaning and leaving because "it's becoming too left wing" and neither see the glaring problem with this logic.

So when people do leave generalist sites they head for echo chambers where they can egg each other on in support. Any person in a community who goes too far off script won't last long. They'll be ignored, down voted, trolled, even banned in short order(or not invited to join in the first place). This leads as we've seen to very one track communities. This type of "feminism" is but one example and as I said it sells papers and clicks and is seen as more "acceptable" by the suburban classes than a male version say. There's also an undercurrent of "ahh girls are a silly little creatures, aren't they" to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's also an undercurrent of "ahh girls are a silly little creatures, aren't they" to it too.

I have always maintained this idea too but it does meld with the 'strong independent victim' and slacktivist mentality.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    This type of "feminism" is but one example and as I said it sells papers and clicks and is seen as more "acceptable" by the suburban classes than a male version say.

It's bourgeois feminism pandering to a target market. Look at TED these days. It's a product that apparently sells quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I see a tv critic commented on Louise O'Neills outfit during one interview in the show, her bare shoulders distracted him. LON has gone to town with outrage #shouldergate

I have to admit I was distracted by this outfit too but only because it looked awful.

She had another ensemble that was very Pretty Woman in high boots, and even had shots of her strolling along alone looking like a movie caricature of a prostitute. It did make me wonder was she doing it on purpose to draw the comments so she could then criticise those same comments. Considering the subject of her programme is was more than odd. Manufacturing the outrage opportunity maybe, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

There's a toolbox out there missing a spanner.
    I would have said wrench. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

cantdecide wrote: »
    It's bourgeois feminism pandering to a target market. Look at TED these days. It's a product that apparently sells quite well.
    Which is surprising considering the "wage gap"... :rolleyes:

... Or on further consideration maybe that's why!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement