Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Very calm conditions in wexford.
    Thunder and lightning.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Very calm conditions in wexford.
    Thunder and lightning.

It might be finished.

It might be finished.

Oh mother of God.
    I'm a big feckin eejet.
    I was out waiting to see anymore flashes and I heard a clicken beside me.
    Next thing lightning struck I think the electric fence or a tree.
    Very very close.
    About 20ft away I think.
    I'm inside now and it's started lashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,155 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh mother of God.
    I'm a big feckin eejet.
    I was out waiting to see anymore flashes and I heard a clicken beside me.
    Next thing lightning struck I think the electric fence or a tree.
    Very very close.
    About 20ft away I think.
    I'm inside now and it's started lashing.

YIKES

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tiredout

km79 wrote: »
    YIKES

Huge flash and bang. Power gone almost as soon as the flash of lighting. 9km from enniscorthy. No power for miles around it seems

• Advertisement

Tiredout wrote: »
    Huge flash and bang. Power gone almost as soon as the flash of lighting. 9km from enniscorthy. No power for miles around it seems

I see that on powercheck.
    I have power here but the neighbours a mile away don't.
    Electricity went off for just a second here.
    My strike here didn't show up on lightning radar.
    I'm wondering now was it just a feeder coming from the ground that didn't connect as the thunder was a few seconds after, not instantaneous.

Edit: just checked on YouTube the thunder is a few seconds after the lightning.

Anyway still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Got off the bus in wexford, walked home in the fork lightening ad then got soaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Bone dry here but the precip that's had a fair few sparks in the Celtic sea is very heavy and will be passing up over Wexford Kilkenny Carlow Wicklow area in a few hours so might give thunder

It's gone quiet in it recently though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

13.2 mm of rain at Johnstown Castle in the past hour.

Lots of lightning strikes south of Wexford now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thunder very close to Waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Huge thunder claps in Waterford now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Kaboom Waterford city

A whole area of potential thunder in a train through SW Wexford,east Waterford east tipp and eventually up into Kilkenny and Carlow
    The band is almost stuck it's so slowly edging snails pace north eastwards meaning the same areas mentioned are at risk for a good few hours yet being fed from the SE to NW along the line of the front
    The risk area eventually sliding eastwards bringing areas like Wicklow Kildare and Dublin into the mix later on in the night probably

New cells about 20 Kms south southeast of Rosslare
    They should pass through Wexford town in the coming hours through Enniscorthy maybe and on into Carlow
    The flashes are probably visible out to sea from Wexford town but certainly Rosslare already I'd say

First downpour of the night here now
    I'm signing off but unless I'm comatose ,I expect to be awoken by thunder overnight at some stage
    Enjoy if you get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Few nice flashes and booms in South tipp about an hour ago now. Wonder is there any more to come.

Impossible to gets dogs out for their wees. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still strikes along the Wicklow coast, rain rather heavy over the country now as well as a few intensifying showers up north.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Still strikes along the Wicklow coast, rain rather heavy over the country now as well as a few intensifying showers up north.

Aye,slept like a baby until woken not by thunder but torrential rain,very very loud a few hrs ago
    Its still lashing now as I head out to work

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty sure I just heard thunder here (in Dublin 16).

• Advertisement

Some washout down here and still raining
    28.4 mm since midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice pic taken by a local photographer. Waterford was lit up last night!

https://twitter.com/noelbrowne5/status/787087217617473536

Cool pic,

Just goes to show the level of light pollution those yellow dirty lights cause. I think light levels should be halved at night from Midnight to 6am.

Cool pic,

Just goes to show the level of light pollution those yellow dirty lights cause. I think light levels should be halved at night from Midnight to 6am.

That photo is quite clearly highly edited (filters etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Cool pic,

Off-topic but I wonder if the urban night skies change much as we switch more and more to LED based lighting, which is more daylight coloured?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

We have a mix of new LED lighting and the old SOX lighting in castlebar, the LED delivers a very white light directed straight at the ground, the way the lanterns are fitted directs most of the light straight down whereas the old lanterns let it escape upwards to. The LED'S on the N5 which passes through town can be dimmed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

We have a mix of new LED lighting and the old SOX lighting in castlebar, the LED delivers a very white light directed straight at the ground, the way the lanterns are fitted directs most of the light straight down whereas the old lanterns let it escape upwards to. The LED'S on the N5 which passes through town can be dimmed also.

We got LED in the estate lately. Personal impression is that it's a lot darker now.

There's another band of rain just off the cornwall coast atm producing lightning strikes heading for the south east.
    Hope they miss the south east and go straight to Dublin.

Calina wrote: »
    We got LED in the estate lately. Personal impression is that it's a lot darker now.

Yeah, light now reflected where it's supposed to be and not scattered everywhere.

• Advertisement

LED's don't do much for a feeling of security and safety though do they?

Anyway I really don't think this is a discussion for here

Advertisement