Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

All quiet atm except for the North of Scotland

TUDOySt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Not for any of us to get excited about , but the UK Met Office have warnings out for locally heavy and in places thundery rain across central and eastern areas of England on Friday.
    They have upgraded their warnings to Amber for London and Greater London down to Hampshire. 100 mm of rain possible in a few hours. Pretty serious flooding likely in these areas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some lightning storm off the Coast of Anzio Italy

http://www.lightningmaps.org

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That must be one hell of show off Naples this evening

PEQW9Cc.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

PEQW9Cc.jpg?1

Mother of God! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Dammit I was there last week and apart from some distant lightning there was nothing.

Met Eireann forecasting blustery conditions on Thurs with widespread showers, some heavy with the risk of isolated thunderstorms in parts of the NW.

rjFN5FY.png?1

9gbWPoS.png?1

ryOZIBX.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Trebor176 wrote: »

PEQW9Cc.jpg?1

Mother of God! :eek:
    i was there that night, coming home tomorrow, unbelievable storms, all I can say is constant lightning and thunder, very slow moving in to Sorrento, lightning was seen from 7 pm horizon to horizon, storms hit me at about 10 30 pm, bolt hit the swimming pool area, I was standing having a pint at the pool bar, deafening shotgun blast, thought my number was up!

Some sferic in places today

• Advertisement

NRtfLGf.png?1

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 05:59 UTC Fri 23 Sep 2016

ISSUED 20:35 UTC Wed 21 Sep 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

In the post-frontal environment, cold mid-levels atop relatively warm SSTs will steepen lapse rates as a sharp upper trough migrates NE-wards, allowing deep convection to bring showers, sometimes in more organised bands, with a few weakly-electrified thunderstorms possible too. The lightning risk will be greatest (but considered sub-SLGT criteria) over Ireland and Northern Ireland on Thursday afternoon, the focus then shifting NE with time to W Scotland by evening. Gusty winds and hail up to 1.0-1.5cm in diameter will be possible with the best organised showers/storms.

Could be an interesting day :)

wsvZuYd.png

Northern British Isles

An intense mid-level trough passes by over Ireland and Scotland in the afternoon and evening. CAPE is low due to relatively weak moisture and cool temperatures. However, strong low-level vertical wind shear could support shallow mesocyclones that could produce tornadoes in case of some stronger diurnal heating.

Interesting to see today the almost complete lack of sferics over land. What convection formed over the relatively warm sea was as Convective Weather predicted ' weakly electrified ' and ran out of juice very quickly not making it onto land. The sea temp at the M4 Buoy ( 40 NM off the Donegal coast ) was 14C today and the M6 ( deep Atlantic ) was 15.1C , some stations in the North of the country struggled to get an air temp above 14C today.

I wonder would the couple of very cool nights have had an effect in not producing electrical activity over land today, soil temps yesterday between 12.5C and 14.5C and I presume would have been a bit lower today, in other words not warm enough to lift air parcels or keep the convection powered up?

By the way, Met Eireann dropped the forecast for Thunderstorms the last couple of days before today, well done to them.

tqiReiU.gif

Possibility Sunday with a forecast for heavy blustery showers of rain and hail.

D0X5eyv.png?1

75hy5Ib.gif?1

hMnN4l3.gif?1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The chart for Barcelona atm looks a lot different to Sundays one for Ireland :)

ntD6gvG.png?1

DOCARCH wrote: »

Looking at Barcelona Airport a while ago I never saw so many aircraft delays in and out, I presume it's because of the lightning, seems to be getting back to normal now

Convective Weather saying a chance of lightning tonight in parts of Ireland from a sharp upper trough and cold mid levels, the NE perhaps ?

b4XlaY7.png

iSS2mhD.png

Convective Outlook: Sun 25 Sep 2016

krxZjkP.png?1

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 25 Sep 2016 - 05:59 UTC Mon 26 Sep 2016

ISSUED 16:23 UTC Sat 24 Sep 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Strong DLS along the cold front boundary may continue to produce some elements of line convection, especially on the leading edge of the precipitation field, as the front clears eastwards across E/SE England on Sunday morning - although the risk of lightning is very low (near 5-10%).

Otherwise, the post-frontal environment will exhibit notably steep lapse rates as a sharp upper trough slides NE from the Atlantic across the British Isles. Numerous showers, as a result of cold air aloft atop relatively warm SSTs, will be ongoing at the beginning of this forecast period over portions of Ireland, and will tend to become more widespread in coverage through the day across many areas - although very few in sheltered eastern parts. Lightning will be rather sporadic in nature, hence the broad LOW threat level issued, but a favourable overlap of instability phasing with peak diurnal heating suggests a better chance of showers becoming electrified across northern parts of Ireland into Northern Ireland on Sunday afternoon - hence a SLGT issued here.

The strongest cells will be capable of producing gusty winds and hail up to 1.5cm in diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just got very dark and windy in DN 22 see some strikes nea roscrea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I think I just heard thunder in D22. Too short a rumble to be an aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Few good loud rumbles west of delvin, co Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

robclay26 wrote: »
    Few good loud rumbles west of delvin, co Westmeath

That part of the world seems to fertile ground for storms this year. Well done! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Yeah,thunder would have been audible in Dublin from those strikes off Dublin Bay
    Westmeath strikes are in a shower train that might also spark in Dublin shortly

Lightning radar image attached

Some nice lightning earlier today near Ferbane(just south of athlone) , torrential rain also. About 1230

Nothing down my way here in Kerry although some nice big convective cloud that produced very cold rain ( did not see any hail ) dropping the temperature a couple of degrees in the showers.

ix4EfpZ.gif?1

I noticed the radar was showing some heavy thundery rain at 6.15 am this morning in my area, however it wasn't anything more than just heavy.

I also notice that the nw storm weather radar often picks up a strike or 2 most mornings along the West coast

Met Eireann mentioning the possibility of heavy thundery showers the next couple of days. Not much rain showing up on the models Thurs but more on Fri, especially in Atlantic Counties.

eH48YVD.png?1

NKTR42P.png?1

l8mas9Z.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Few sparks off the West coast

Advertisement