Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's the thing, I don't think it was a huge motivating factor.

Without being disrespectful, a lot of that team wouldn't have even met, let alone played or trained with, Foley.

To me the main motivation for each player was to win for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

CatFromHue wrote:
    Without being disrespectful, a lot of that team wouldn't have even met, let alone played or trained with, Foley.

Whilst I'm sure for some of the players it had an effect, I tend to agree with you that the foley thing is being massively overstated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's the thing, I don't think it was a huge motivating factor.

To me the main motivation for each player was to win for themselves.

You might be right.

On the other hand - Zebo, Stander, Ryan, Murray all started and were close to him. He was friends with Simon Best and knew Rory well.

What i can definitely say is the 4 Munster lads who started all looked emotional before the game and all played like men possessed. I'm sure you'd agree it was some sort of factor for them.

The formation for the Haka in the number of 8 couldn't but inspire emotion in the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Cant imagine there are too many cricket fans in an Irish MMA forum but even for the uninitiated, check this out.

Superhero level fielding by South African cricketer Temba Bavuma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Gamebred wrote: »
    I see SBG's number 1 cheerleader in the media has gotten his dream job working for Conor himself on the maclife.com, Andrew McGahon leaving severemma to work for them.

Andrew mcgahon is SBGs number 1 cheerleader???:rolleyes:

Who the F let this monkey on the internet...

Another typical blow in ufc fan who has no clue about the Irish MMA community.

Taking the internet away from you might be a good idea if you are just going to come on posting this sort of stuff..give it a rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Andrew mcgahon is SBGs number 1 cheerleader???:rolleyes:

Who the F let this monkey on the internet...

Another typical blow in ufc fan who has no clue about the Irish MMA community.

Andrew and sean are legends !

Living in the uk and for the 5th of Nov party the wife and i dressed up, no one had a clue but we had a ball

https://twitter.com/fraapp/status/794984079750037504

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Andrew and sean are legends !

Living in the uk and for the 5th of Nov party the wife and i dressed up, no one had a clue but we had a ball

https://twitter.com/fraapp/status/794984079750037504

Legends how exactly?

Legends how exactly?

Two lads that got into something that they love and have the craic enjoying there job, that makes them legends to me. We are all here to talk mma cause we love it so imagine being paid for that........... Legends

Two lads that got into something that they love and have the craic enjoying there job, that makes them legends to me. We are all here to talk mma cause we love it so imagine being paid for that........... Legends

I think the term legend is banded around quite easily now a days if that makes them a legend to you fair play, I dont think theres anything legendary about them or anything they do considering Sean is a bedroom journalist who tweets all day and Andrew sold out to a media rival and left his team but thats just my opinion.

I think the term legend is banded around quite easily now a days if that makes them a legend to you fair play, I dont think theres anything legendary about them or anything they do considering Sean is a bedroom journalist who tweets all day and Andrew sold out to a media rival and left his team but thats just my opinion.

Ah come on.

Every time i messaged Andrew on Twitter he was either working in a nightclub or grinding away with his jiujitsu.

He put in countless hours in the Irish MMA scene for years for no reward. He gave a spotlight to McGregor, to Seery, to Pendred to everyone.

SevereMMA would be nothing without McGahons interviews over the years and i guarantee he's lost a fortune in money covering this sport. Credit union and bank loans to try cover events in the UK, Ireland and America.

Labeling him a "sell-out" is very unfair. He's done more to raise the profile of MMA in Ireland than any other single journalist, including the 'Don' Petesy Carroll.

He deserves to sit back and chill now on whatever McGregor is paying him (can't imagine it's a fortune either!! 40 or 50 grand a year tops).

You'd have a point if SevereMMA were paying him 30 or 40 grand a year to do these interviews and covering his expenses. He's a young man, it's no fun breaking your back and being broke to cover your passion. The Mac Life is a good move for him for a year or 2.

• Advertisement

Id think you would find most start out in there bedrooms but Sean has good analysis and askks good questions but i wait for your podcast. Anderw works hard and i will admit im biased as when i needed help i reached out to him and it gave a years worth of confidence in his reply. I love you Gamebred but say legends as a term of endearment only. I CAN tell you fact that when i went through some horrific **** i reached out to them they replied so fast and made me feel ok/normal again and the only thing we had in common was MMA. Andrew has LEGIT helped me and has Sean so even just a term im sticking with Legends

• Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I fully agree:
    Not mad at Claudia Gaedlhas appearance at all,looking fine at this press conference

Jon Jones is a legend came out with one of his belt

DC is a beaten man already emotionally battered so easily by Jones,

This conference is fire!

Big Ben Rothwell just interupted the conference to give Ireland a shout out what a legend.
    Now that you mention weapons :pac:

The Diaz brothers are legends.
    Dont know if anyone seen this but this kinda of illustrates the mind Diaz has,he got absolutely murdered in this fight and still sat in guard stockton slapping the **** out RDA taking the piss he is a legend,love to see him in shape fight him again.
    Feck off ive not missed an event live in donkeys :pac:

Im not really desperate to see anyone on the card either Hunt is a legend but outside of that all I wanna see is Scoggins,hoping that cheat lombard gets bet.
    Mark Hunt is a combat legend,same with frank big fan of his grappling but Hunt is probably my favourite hw alongside rothwell crazy lifestory pulling for him tonight first round ko hopefully.

Very true man,a legend going out on the top as champ after clearing out 170 and 185.

Conor dropped into that guy what an absolute legend!
    https://twitter.com/GrabakaHitman/status/712795530028515328

Nate asking where Ariel is hahahahahahahah legend
    What a legend Bas is,

Im in for the tournament anyways!
    Bad bad man dustin poirier couldnt be happier for him legend.

That's only the first page too, there's two more! :pac::D

True I suppose its up to Severe to pay him to stay and its obviously not something they can do,I do worry for their future now with McGregor not gonna be around for ever and their main interviewer jumping to a new media rival who will have exclusive McGregor stuff will harm them big time.

@Marty

I standby every single one of them comments so what is your point? Im sure hundreds of thousands of people agree with me,where as ive seen 1 person call the severe lads legends :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

@Marty

I standby every single one of them comments so what is your point? Im sure hundreds of thousands of people agree with me,where as ive seen 1 person call the severe lads legends :confused:

I was only having a laugh with ya man, I remember you throwing out the word legend so much that I had to pull you up on it. :D

I would call the Severe lads legends though, they do great work over there and have done an awful lot for the Irish MMA scene. Not all "legends" wear four ounce gloves.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I was only having a laugh with ya man, I remember you throwing out the word legend so much that I had to pull you up on it. :D

I would call the Severe lads legends though, they do great work over there and have done an awful lot for the Irish MMA scene. Not all "legends" wear four ounce gloves.

#NotAllHeroesWearCapes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

@Marty

I standby every single one of them comments so what is your point? Im sure hundreds of thousands of people agree with me,where as ive seen 1 person call the severe lads legends confused.png

Legends might be a bit strong for the lads from Severe but your comments about them and Andrew are one that not many people would agree with you on. Andrew went up and down the country covering local MMA events, promoting the pro MMA scene, covering Irelands fighters here and abroad. Doing long hours going to events, doing the interviews and putting together and editing the content - funding all that out of his own pocket working in a nightclub and doing some radio work on top of loans to be able to follow the bigger fights abroad. All for the love of the sport and doing something he is passionate about, a thankless job when you see posts like yours.

Now that an opportunity comes along to take that career to the next level, to actually get paid for all the hard work that goes into it and all the time and effort he has put in over the years and you want to call him a sell out? I couldn't think of anything further from the truth and it just shows a narrow mind that people would think to label him that on here or social media. He is finally getting paid properly for all the work he has been doing for years and more power to him.

Axwell wrote: »
    Legends might be a bit strong for the lads from Severe but your comments about them and Andrew are one that not many people would agree with you on. Andrew went up and down the country covering local MMA events, promoting the pro MMA scene, covering Irelands fighters here and abroad. Doing long hours going to events, doing the interviews and putting together and editing the content - funding all that out of his own pocket working in a nightclub and doing some radio work on top of loans to be able to follow the bigger fights abroad. All for the love of the sport and doing something he is passionate about, a thankless job when you see posts like yours.

Now that an opportunity comes along to take that career to the next level, to actually get paid for all the hard work that goes into it and all the time and effort he has put in over the years and you want to call him a sell out? I couldn't think of anything further from the truth and it just shows a narrow mind that people would think to label him that on here or social media. He is finally getting paid properly for all the work he has been doing for years and more power to him.

100%

Plus, the term "sell-out" to my mind implies someone who gives up on their dreams for money.

He was making zero from SevereMMA and now he's, in all likelihood, getting a normal wage for a 24-year-old. There's not a hope in hell you'll be seeing him driving a Porsche to jiujitsu class! He'll be on a normal wage and probably get the perks of going with Conor to cover a few events.

I.e. all that's really changed now is he doesn't have to get himself in stressful debt to go to these events.

If Ariel Helwani upped and left for the Mac Life, then yes it'd be selling-out. He's extremely well paid by Vox Media clearing very decent 6 figures a year and his dream was to be an MMA journalist. if he made the switch then i could understand the term "sell-out".

Andrew didn't sell out to anything. There was nothing to sell out! He was being paid buttons by SevereMMA and getting himself depressed over the loans he had taken out.

Axwell wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101578491&postcount=74

See my post above for clarification lads try not get offended on his behalf, Sellout was the wrong word to use and I retract it, Severemma cant offer him the financial incentive to stay so they are partly to blame I suppose but I feel the future of severemma is not too bright with this departure which is a credit to Andrew for the work hes done but remember nobody put a gun to his head to do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

John_D80 wrote: »
    Cant imagine there are too many cricket fans in an Irish MMA forum but even for the uninitiated, check this out.

Superhero level fielding by South African cricketer Temba Bavuma.

the South Africans always have some of the best fielders

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

See my post above for clarification lads try not get offended on his behalf, Sellout was the wrong word to use and I retract it, Severemma cant offer him the financial incentive to stay so they are partly to blame I suppose but I feel the future of severemma is not too bright with this departure which is a credit to Andrew for the work hes done but remember nobody put a gun to his head to do it.

Its not getting offended on his behalf, you made the comment and you were taken up on it. Now you want to retract it because it was the wrong word to use but you still seem to have a similar opinion. What happens to SevereMMA afterwards is up to them, he has moved on to further his career. If Severe suffers in the long run over that its on them, not on him and only highlights what a fundamental part of the whole thing he was.

I've always felt SA never recovered from losing a player of Jacques Kallis stature. He was beautiful to watch. That 2009 side they had was a machine of a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

the South Africans always have some of the best fielders

Wow, he was at full stretch there for sure! The last 3 seconds of that vid was awesome!

I'm just a recent convert to the game so I'm seeing things like this for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

They will need to pull something out of the bag to keep listeners tuned in to that podcast. Andrew played the lead very well but now I don't know what will happen. Sheehan won't sail that on his own, great mind for analyzing "tape" but not so great in terms of broadcasting. Hope they get a good replacement though as I listened every week and enjoyed the hell out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I feel like with this being my grandad I should know more about the sport of cricket :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lads the cricket talk is going to turn people off this thread. And besides, Baseball is 3 times the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They're both ****e
    /discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

You're the type of guy who rips me on the internet but tells me you love my work at an event.

I thought I made it pretty clear on the Podcast all of my reasons but there's been enough sniping on this thread that I want it to be the end of it.

If i'm a sell out for trying to get myself out of a really really negative lifestyle for myself then fine. I've been suffering pretty badly in 2016 and have had to start going to a counsellor for many issues. The worry of making enough money to continue financing severe trips was a massive part of that. I work 5 nights a week in a ****ty nightclub. I barely make over 200 euro a week because the hours are that bad. For the most part of the year I was only doing 2 nights a week so work out that for yourself.

Make yourself feel better, ripping into someone who had a passion. I became disillusioned with MMA Coverage in a full time capacity. I realised that I cared for the sport in Ireland I didn't care for attending random UFC's or doing that as a full time job. I see how stressed and little money those in those jobs get.

Thank you to everybody who has sent me a message or just wished me well on this new career move. I know it's going to be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

SDTimeout wrote: »
    You're the type of guy who rips me on the internet but tells me you love my work at an event.

I thought I made it pretty clear on the Podcast all of my reasons but there's been enough sniping on this thread that I want it to be the end of it.

If i'm a sell out for trying to get myself out of a really really negative lifestyle for myself then fine. I've been suffering pretty badly in 2016 and have had to start going to a counsellor for many issues. The worry of making enough money to continue financing severe trips was a massive part of that. I work 5 nights a week in a ****ty nightclub. I barely make over 200 euro a week because the hours are that bad. For the most part of the year I was only doing 2 nights a week so work out that for yourself.

Make yourself feel better, ripping into someone who had a passion. I became disillusioned with MMA Coverage in a full time capacity. I realised that I cared for the sport in Ireland I didn't care for attending random UFC's or doing that as a full time job. I see how stressed and little money those in those jobs get.

Thank you to everybody who has sent me a message or just wished me well on this new career move. I know it's going to be a success.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »

Afternoon Andrew, Firstly I retracted my sell out comment if you take the time to read through the thread so if I offended you I apologize on that front,

I wouldnt snipe online then tell you I love your work at an event because I dont love your work so why would I? I respect your dedication to going to all the events in Ireland and abroad when no one else really put the effort in but less of the emotions please nobody forced you to do any of this or work in any ****ty nightclub to go abroad for severemma,

Anyways good luck with The Mac Life.

Advertisement