Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gamebred wrote: »
    Disgraceful from Walters getting a seminar in boxing from Loma and he quits pathetic show of heart or lack of it, paying public robbed #nomas

Walters is a bottler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It a difficult position to be in. He knew there was no way he could win and was being severely outclassed. In MMA you can tap out but there are not as many options in Boxing.

To be honest what did he have to gain? Pride? a debt to the fans? he saved himself countless strikes to the head which were likely to get worse as the fight went on.

He did the smart thing quitting a fight he knew he had no way of winning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

It a difficult position to be in. He knew there was no way he could win and was being severely outclassed. In MMA you can tap out but there are not as many options in Boxing.

To be honest what did he have to gain? Pride? a debt to the fans? he saved himself countless strikes to the head which were likely to get worse as the fight went on.

He did the smart thing quitting a fight he knew he had no way of winning.

He wasnt getting lit up though, Lomachenko had only began opening up he was in zero danger off getting ko'd from what I was watching, hes known to have ko power one punch can change a fight he quit in there complete lack of heart imo (and many people in the media who ive heard),

Yeah we get it take balls to fight but dont go in there get out classed as say **** this im done here hes too good (while your being paid half a million) nobody will want anything to do with him now hes damaged goods, he ripped the paying public,himself and his team off by quitting.

He wasnt getting lit up though, Lomachenko had only began opening up he was in zero danger off getting ko'd from what I was watching, hes known to have ko power one punch can change a fight he quit in there complete lack of heart imo (and many people in the media who ive heard),

Yeah we get it take balls to fight but dont go in there get out classed as say **** this im done here hes too good (while your being paid half a million) nobody will want anything to do with him now hes damaged goods, he ripped the paying public,himself and his team off by quitting.

I feel a lot people of that opinion have probably never fought themselves.

Everyone has off days and there is nothing worse than being in there against someone who is on another level than you. There was very little he could do apart from being a punching bag for Lomachenko. It was a mismatch to be honest, thats not the fighters fault , rather the promotor. We see people give up in MMA but its easier to hide to the average fan, leaving out an arm or giving up your back.

There is not much in it for fighters to hang in there and take lots of damage.

No one knows how they will react until they get in there. He probably did not realise Loma was going to be a good as he is.

I feel a lot people of that opinion have probably never fought themselves.

Everyone has off days and there is nothing worse than being in there against someone who is on another level than you. There was very little he could do apart from being a punching bag for Lomachenko. It was a mismatch to be honest, thats not the fighters fault , rather the promotor. We see people give up in MMA but its easier to hide to the average fan, leaving out an arm or giving up your back.

There is not much in it for fighters to hang in there and take lots of damage.

No one knows how they will react until they get in there. He probably did not realise Loma was going to be a good as he is.

Ah come on a miss match? hes 30-0 world champion for feck sake he had been running his mouth in the build up to this too, in over your head and quit like that is very unusual you rarely see it in combat these people train all their lives for these fights and to throw it away like that is shocking imo,

I have competed many times in different sports (I compete in grappling next week) and I've had all the emotions the fight or flight but never have I quit in training or a competition because the person is getting the upperhand(you keep going take your humbling and go again), you'd have a point if he was getting tee'd off on but it wasnt a bad beating he was taking he wasnt injured either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

While the KO didn't look impending, repeated shots to the head can obviously have lasting damage too.

qwabercd wrote: »
    While the KO didn't look impending, repeated shots to the head can obviously have lasting damage too.

True but Lomachenko isnt prime Mike Tyson were talking about here, if your big enough to throw hayemakers at people be man enough to take some shots when the going gets tough combat sport is gone too pc with all this head trauma stuff after 1 or 2 high profile incidents (ie Eubank) they are 2 manlets fighting, anyways to me I like to see someone with heart rock on, can you imagine Neil Seery quitting like that after rd 1 of the Horiguchi fight? can buy or train heart.

True but Lomachenko isnt prime Mike Tyson were talking about here, if your big enough to throw hayemakers at people be man enough to take some shots when the going gets tough combat sport is gone too pc with all this head trauma stuff after 1 or 2 high profile incidents (ie Eubank) they are 2 manlets fighting, anyways to me I like to see someone with heart rock on, can you imagine Neil Seery quitting like that after rd 1 of the Horiguchi fight? can buy or train heart.

No offence but competing in other sports it not similar to fighting. You likely have never felt the same emotions as a fighter unless you have actually done it. It's very very different when someone hitting you.

BJJ or grappling is not like a striking form of fighting, and in a bad case scenario if you are being beaten by a better grappler you can just tap out and be absolutely fine. This does not exist in Boxing, what is in store is rounds and rounds of punishment. Head trauma has always been a part of combat sports put is only recently getting the attention it should have for years. Too many fighters can barely form sentences after they retire. I suggest you try it for yourself before you judge who is "man" enough or not.

Chris Eubank Jr isn't exactly prime mike Tyson either. Obviously he was landing more and is heavier than Loma but the 7th round was fairly overwhelming.

No offence but competing in other sports it not similar to fighting. You likely have never felt the same emotions as a fighter unless you have actually done it. It's very very different when someone hitting you.

BJJ or grappling is not like a striking form of fighting, and in a bad case scenario if you are being beaten by a better grappler you can just tap out and be absolutely fine. This does not exist in Boxing, what is in store is rounds and rounds of punishment. Head trauma has always been a part of combat sports put is only recently getting the attention it should have for years. Too many fighters man barely form sentences after they retire. I suggest you try it for yourself before you judge who is "man" enough or not.

None taken, Im not a professional athlete so I'll never be in the position I can only speak from experience I've been overmatched and stopped in amatuer boxing to grappling in open weigh categories and not to mention raped by better people every single day in training so I know what its like to be outclassed in some way and its not nice but quitting is the easy way out I wouldnt expect it from anyway earning half a million plus, its the least he owed to himself and the paying public,

anyways im over it now I wont be tuning into ever see him again #nomas

• Advertisement

qwabercd wrote: »
    Chris Eubank Jr isn't exactly prime mike Tyson either. Obviously he was landing more and is heavier than Loma but the 7th round was fairly overwhelming.

Come on now Eubank is a middleweight ffs with ko power were talking about lightweights and super featherweights complete different ball game.

Come on now Eubank is a middleweight ffs with ko power were talking about lightweights and super featherweights complete different ball game.

Yeah, I said in my post it was at a higher weight. Boxing is still very dangerous at the lower weights. 15 round fights were gotten rid of because of Kim's death after his lightweight title fight with Ray Mancini. Davey Moore and Johnny Owen 2 more of the top of my head that died after title fights at lower weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Blackthorn Fight School

Just worth noting a KO is the ideal situation getting punched for an entire fight is where the real damage happens. It is why you see more deaths in lower weights because the KO is less likely you take many more sub concussive blows. Just look at the amount of times guys die after they get out of the ring.

Also while Lomas record at pro is still low his ammy record with a career record of 396-1

On quitting if your a pro it can be a lot better to throw in the towel and come back to fight another day rather than suffer permanent brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wilson5677

Get off the keyword Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Wilson5677 wrote: »

do explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dan Henderson promo video for his sub grappling match with Jones.
    I know he's got a solid grappling past but he's hasn't looked decent grappling in a long time. The above video is no better. The hack of that triangle

Dan Henderson promo video for his sub grappling match with Jones.
    I know he's got a solid grappling past but he's hasn't looked decent grappling in a long time. The above video is no better. The hack of that triangle

I can't see this lasting too long. Dan is a legend but so stiff at this stage, he is like a really strong wooden plank. I can't even remember the last time I saw him shoot for a take down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wilson5677

Depp wrote: »
    Wilson5677 wrote: »

do explain?
    We know Trump is now the president of USA, that's it. Come on, we get it.

Absolute scenes when Hendo Iminari rolls into a heel hook on the goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Anyone know where I can get the fighters walkout jerseys in dublin? I see the JD has them on their website but don't rememebr seeing them in the shop last time I was there.

I would ideally like to try it on before buying as I'm lingerie and skinny so sizes vary for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get the fighters walkout jerseys in dublin? I see the JD has them on their website but don't rememebr seeing them in the shop last time I was there.

I would ideally like to try it on before buying as I'm lingerie and skinny so sizes vary for me.

they had them in jd in dundrum a few weeks ago anyway...had them on a display just inside the door

There's cheaper stuff to keep the fire going, have you tried brickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm lingerie and skinny so sizes vary for me.

You're what now?

Anyone else looking forward to the kickboxing the weekend Rico v Badr Hari, terrific undercard Nieky Holzken on it too fancy Rico by decision seen as its 3 rds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone else looking forward to the kickboxing the weekend Rico v Badr Hari, terrific undercard Nieky Holzken on it too fancy Rico by decision seen as its 3 rds.

It's such an interesting fight.

It's the hard working, dedicated, good looking poster boy vs the ah sure **** it stupidly talented head case.

Rico by points or Hari by ko I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm lingerie and skinny so sizes vary for me.

You're what now?

Auto correct always destroys me wheb I post to boards :( haha

I meant to say that I am long and skinny. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ref's are awful spoilers in kickboxing, find it hard to watch as i find my focus is mostly on the ref hoping he doesnt jump in once again but i suppose hes only following the horrible rules. Worse than fairplay men, cant watch it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Anybody else get the vibe all is not well between Overeem and Rico?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Putting this here in the hope that it will fly under the radar of some of the complete headbangers that comment in the McGregor Thread, and also because it involves mostly other sports and I dont think there is a demand for camogie/Rowing chat in the other threads!!

McGregor nominated for RTE sports personality of the year.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2016/1203/836281-nominees-for-the-rte-sportsperson-award-revealed/

Its the most blatantly subjective and personal opinion based award in Irish sports and has little to do with actual achievements but its brilliant that he has been nominated. In terms of achievements in 2016 there are not many on that list that would eclipse him in fairness.

I doubt he is realistically in with a shout though considering MMA is still so much on the fringes but this is a definite step in the right direction. It would be a good move by him to be present on the night for Interviews/photo's with the other nominees etc.

I honestly can't see past Paul O'Donovan. Seamus Callanan and Brid Stack my outside bets.

Opinions and picks from you guys?

EDIT: Just saw, Dunphy is getting his knckers in a knot over the exclusion of Robbie Brady. Dont know why he is homing in on McGregor though when every single sportsperson in that list has had a bigger year than the entire Irish Soccer team put together.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/jmurphy/eamon-dunphy-slams-rte-including-conor-mcgregor-sportsperson-year-list/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

John_D80 wrote: »
    Putting this here in the hope that it will fly under the radar of some of the complete headbangers that comment in the McGregor Thread, and also because it involves mostly other sports and I dont think there is a demand for camogie/Rowing chat in the other threads!!

McGregor nominated for RTE sports personality of the year.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2016/1203/836281-nominees-for-the-rte-sportsperson-award-revealed/

Its the most blatantly subjective and personal opinion based award in Irish sports and has little to do with actual achievements but its brilliant that he has been nominated. In terms of achievements in 2016 there are not many on that list that would eclipse him in fairness.

I doubt he is realistically in with a shout though considering MMA is still so much on the fringes but this is a definite step in the right direction. It would be a good move by him to be present on the night for Interviews/photo's with the other nominees etc.

I honestly can't see past Paul O'Donovan. Seamus Callanan and Brid Stack my outside bets.

Opinions and picks from you guys?

EDIT: Just saw, Dunphy is getting his knckers in a knot over the exclusion of Robbie Brady. Dont know why he is homing in on McGregor though when every single sportsperson in that list has had a bigger year than the entire Irish Soccer team put together.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/jmurphy/eamon-dunphy-slams-rte-including-conor-mcgregor-sportsperson-year-list/

Robbie brady for scoring a header ? Really?

Advertisement