Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Gamebred wrote: »
    Afternoon Andrew, Firstly I retracted my sell out comment if you take the time to read through the thread so if I offended you I apologize on that front,

I wouldnt snipe online then tell you I love your work at an event because I dont love your work so why would I? I respect your dedication to going to all the events in Ireland and abroad when no one else really put the effort in but less of the emotions please nobody forced you to do any of this or work in any ****ty nightclub to go abroad for severemma,

Anyways good luck with The Mac Life.

I did read your comments. You got called out on it so you backed down. You still meant it to begin with and you just tried to blow it over.

Your mindset is proved thought with your last comment. "Well congratulations but nobody made you do it" Ireland 2016. You're right, i should have shut up, I should have said nothing about my mental health and i should have just got on with it. Sure you're grand just get over it!

I know nobody forced me to do it. The place I work in was very accomodating with any nights off over the years I needed for MMA coverage. I couldn't leave there and get a new job because of the amount of time off I needed over a year to cover stuff for Severe.

Have you ever loved someone or something, that you would do anything for it even at the expense of yourself. Letting people down is one of the worst things you can do, I try very hard to never let that happen in any aspect of my life. That's what I felt like when Severe was gaining momentum. There wouldn't be anybody else covering the sport in Ireland today if it wasn't for SevereMMA let's be honest about that. So after building momentum and these guys getting signed. I absolutely HAD to get to Conor's fights, no matter what (I've been at every one in the UFC run) because being there was the next opportunity to grow the site and grow the fanbase of the sport in Ireland. When you are focused on something you are in auto pilot and you don't look at what's going on around you.

Maybe that doesn't make sense to you, but that's how I think.

I'll shoot CM Punk style here luck is for losers. But hopefully you enjoy the new type of work i'll be doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I did read your comments. You got called out on it so you backed down. You still meant it to begin with and you just tried to blow it over.

Your mindset is proved thought with your last comment. "Well congratulations but nobody made you do it" Ireland 2016. You're right, i should have shut up, I should have said nothing about my mental health and i should have just got on with it. Sure you're grand just get over it!

I know nobody forced me to do it. The place I work in was very accomodating with any nights off over the years I needed for MMA coverage. I couldn't leave there and get a new job because of the amount of time off I needed over a year to cover stuff for Severe.

Have you ever loved someone or something, that you would do anything for it even at the expense of yourself. Letting people down is one of the worst things you can do, I try very hard to never let that happen in any aspect of my life. That's what I felt like when Severe was gaining momentum. There wouldn't be anybody else covering the sport in Ireland today if it wasn't for SevereMMA let's be honest about that. So after building momentum and these guys getting signed. I absolutely HAD to get to Conor's fights, no matter what (I've been at every one in the UFC run) because being there was the next opportunity to grow the site and grow the fanbase of the sport in Ireland. When you are focused on something you are in auto pilot and you don't look at what's going on around you.

Maybe that doesn't make sense to you, but that's how I think.

I'll shoot CM Punk style here luck is for losers. But hopefully you enjoy the new type of work i'll be doing.

Ha trust me someone disagreeing with my use of words wont make me change my views, I said sell out in zest and freely admit I was wrong,

Again we all have our mental health problems so I sympathize with you as ive had similar circumstances,

my post was coming from a worry for severe tbh as a fan of the sites content it provides especially with Conor I feel you moving to The Mac Life doesnt bode well for severe with the the new mac life gonna be in direct competition but I suppose its their problem not being able to pay you well enough on top of you not wanting to do the mainstream mma media thing,

Anyways have a good day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Ha trust me someone disagreeing with my use of words wont make me change my views, I said sell out in zest and freely admit I was wrong,

Again we all have our mental health problems so I sympathize with you as ive had similar circumstances,

my post was coming from a worry for severe tbh as a fan of the sites content it provides especially with Conor I feel you moving to The Mac Life doesnt bode well for severe with the the new mac life gonna be in direct competition but I suppose its their problem not being able to pay you well enough on top of you not wanting to do the mainstream mma media thing,

Anyways have a good day.
    pls stop

your digging your grave bigger and bigger. btw you dont have to keep telling us you admit you were wrong...no one here thought you were right in the first place LOL

Needless to say Andrew put it well back in its box ;)

Digitalism wrote: »
    pls stop

your digging your grave bigger and bigger. btw you dont have to keep telling us you admit you were wrong...no one here thought you were right in the first place LOL

Needless to say Andrew put it well back in its box ;)

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

Seriously....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

giphy.gif

enough of the childish mcgregor gifs when you have no response, what are you, 14 years old?
    its eating into my data too

Seriously....:mad:

Seriously what? have you something to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

SDTimeout wrote: »

There are people in this life who will have listened to you spilling your heart on the podcast crying and the first thing they will think is "Jaysus get a hold of yourself". That's not just Ireland 2016, that's the World 2016 and it's hard to ignore it.

Anyone who knows your work appreciates what you've done for Irish MMA. You were the first one to ask Conor a question after the Hill fight, the Buchinger fight and that night in Sweden when he dismantled Brimage.

At that stage Conor was a nobody and even after the Brimage fight he was still a nobody with a 1-0 UFC record yet there were you were in Sweden, of all places, covering him. I have a fair idea how much those flights set you back just to be there and that was a big outlay for a 21 year old in 2013.

I'm sure you had a ton of amazing experiences, met a load of great people and have a lot of great memories. I'm also sure with how active Conor was fighting that you had sleepless nights thinking "right, how am i going to fund this trip, is it a bridge too far this time?".

If it was only covering Conor that'd be one thing - the fact that you still showed up to every domestic event from as recently as Cage Legacy in Drogheda all the way back to the old school Chaos FC events in Derry, says a lot about what your motivations were.

Actually, the fact that The Mac Life put out an article yesterday about Leah McCourt winning Gold in the Blue Belt division at the World No-Gi championships in jiuitsu already tells me a lot. It says John Balfe under the article but i know that's your influence already.

One of the articles i wrote on my blog, i know you read it, on the state of Irish MMA - i said "ultimately it may be Conor himself, through his Mac Life vehicle, that continues to raise the profile of Irish talent".

I hope that's what you bring to your new venture. Continue to spread your passion for Martial Arts in Ireland and continue to raise the profile of people like Leah. You've a great platform now and i'm sure Conor shares your passion for Irish MMA.

I'm a fairly emotional type of guy and when you started crying, so did i. Most of us can relate to an end of an era, of putting in so much work into a relationship (work or personal) and it coming to an end.

Continue your counselling - health is your wealth. There's a thread of Boards which I post on myself called "Let's All Laugh at Depression" in After Hours. It can be a really good resource when you're feeling down, use it.

For all your work so far for Irish Mixed Martial Arts, thank you. Continue it now and keep working towards your next belt in BJJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ah lads....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

Seriously what? have you something to say?

I wont even bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

dashoonage wrote: »
    Ah lads....

so how about that Cricket?????

so how about that Cricket?????

How about Attenborough? Planet Earth 2 began last night. Episode 1 had me in tears but (again) that's a regular thing lol.

Anybody even remotely interested should watch this immediately, it's the best trailer for a nature program ever. Beautiful footage with a Hans Zimmer original score for music. Breathtaking. Was so excited for the first episode and it was truly mind-blowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

How about Attenborough? Planet Earth 2 began last night. Episode 1 had me in tears but (again) that's a regular thing lol.

Anybody even remotely interested should watch this immediately, it's the best trailer for a nature program ever. Beautiful footage with a Hans Zimmer original score for music. Breathtaking. Was so excited for the first episode and it was truly mind-blowing.

I need to download this in 4k. Nothing else will suffice.

I was under the impression when ASOT set this thread up that it was for MMA related news/articles/blogs etc that weren't necessarily related to the other threads we have in here. I didn't think it was going to turn into a thread for all things wonderful with the world like Cricket and Nature Programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I was under the impression when ASOT set this thread up that it was for MMA related news/articles/blogs etc that weren't necessarily related to the other threads we have in here. I didn't think it was going to turn into a thread for all things wonderful with the world like Cricket and Nature Programs?

think the general idea was to have a thread where all the off topic stuff could go hence the name!

Depp wrote: »
    think the general idea was to have a thread where all the off topic stuff could go hence the name!

Yeah but I thought it was MMA off topic....as opposed to just off topic....

Edit: Ignore me. Seems like it's common across Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I like the mix of topics to be honest. It's a nice thread to have so that the regulars here can have the craic about random stuff but not have to go into the specific forum for it. As long as there's a bit of random MMA stuff, it's all good IMO.

Anyone know any decent MMA movies? Seen Warrior (outstanding) and Never Surrender (awful is putting it nicely) already, any more worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

martyos121 wrote: »
    I like the mix of topics to be honest. It's a nice thread to have so that the regulars here can have the craic about random stuff but not have to go into the specific forum for it. As long as there's a bit of random MMA stuff, it's all good IMO.

Anyone know any decent MMA movies? Seen Warrior (outstanding) and Never Surrender (awful is putting it nicely) already, any more worth a look?

No such thing

Here comes the Boom is definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

callaway92 wrote: »
    No such thing

Ah Warrior is actually very good to be fair, not just for an MMA movie either. Was hoping to find a few more good ones but that seems to be the only one that isn't terrible.

I'll give that one you mentioned a look though Swashbuckler, looks like the type of thing I'd enjoy, comedy and MMA together.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah Warrior is actually very good to be fair, not just for an MMA movie either. Was hoping to find a few more good ones but that seems to be the only one that isn't terrible.

I'll give that one you mentioned a look though Swashbuckler, looks like the type of thing I'd enjoy, comedy and MMA together.

Yeah some nice cameos in it too - Krystov Sozynski, Bruce Buffer, Stitch, Mayhem, Herb etc. Good light hearted MMA fun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

martyos121 wrote:

Dogfight. More bareknuckle brawling than anything but 3 of the guys went on to become professional fighters. About DaDa and Kimbo. A good watch and on Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Never surrender 2009 movie,you got some quality acting in it from Bj and Rampage,Gsp is in it too,one of the all time great movies.Worth a look.

Have never seen Eddie Bravo as nervous as he was for the Ferguson fight. They hardly drug test the cornermen he should have got stoned as usual and relaxed. He looked fit to puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Off topic threads, IMO, are for anything at all. Me personally I prefer to interact with people I am used to on the forums i frequent instead of with ''strangers''. Rugby, Cricket, Nature shows, basket weaving, crossdressing are all fair game IMO. :-)

It also can be really interesting finding out what weird and unusual (interesting) **** people are into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Depp wrote: »

Yup, AFAIR the main catalyst that resulted in the birth of this thread was a discussion in one of the threads about Trump vs Clinton election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

What is all of yer second favourite sport, or you're second most watched sport after MMA?

John_D80 wrote:
    It also can be really interesting finding out what weird and unusual (interesting) **** people are into.

Yeah I corrected myself in a later post. Ignore my ramblings!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

John_D80 wrote: »
    Wow, he was at full stretch there for sure! The last 3 seconds of that vid was awesome!

I'm just a recent convert to the game so I'm seeing things like this for the first time.

It's great to be new to something cause you get to watch all the cool stuff for the first time! :D

See if you can find any of the games Ireland won at the world cups, usually they are epics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Head Wreck wrote: »
    What is all of yer second favourite sport, or you're second most watched sport after MMA?

Toss up for all sports between Football/Golf/Tennis/GAA/MMA/Boxing

Probably watch football the most because it's on the most.

Advertisement