Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I'd watch Football the most then MMA and Baseball has become my third sport since I moved to Toronto!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Head Wreck wrote: »
    What is all of yer second favourite sport, or you're second most watched sport after MMA?

Honestly, I'd say it's Jiu Jitsu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Head Wreck wrote: »
    What is all of yer second favourite sport, or you're second most watched sport after MMA?

Football (soccer), followed by American football. NBA basketball would probably be third, and I'd dabble in snooker, golf, boxing, and a few others.

If I get lucky with having nothing on at the weekend (getting rarer by the week), a typical weekend can go like the below for me:

Saturday: 12:30pm kick off in the football, 3pm kickoff in the football, 5:30pm kickoff in the football. If there's a UFC event then it's college American football until that begins and if not it's usually 2 college games until I pass out in the early hours.

Sunday: The 2 'Super Sunday' football games from 1:30pm-6pm. Then from 6pm until bed it's NFL American football.

I watch far too much sport to be quite honest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Blackthorn Fight School

Probably for me it goes MMA, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, BJJ then the odd time rugby Between those it tends to fill up most of my free viewing time or not watching instructional tapes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

MMA, anything with an engine in it bar F1 and some BJJ. I used to be a massive fan of boxing but not in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

the old school Chaos FC events in Derry, says a lot about what your motivations were.

I was sitting just behind Andrew at Chaos 15 last time around.

PS for anyone not making it to New York this weekend, Chaos 16 is going down in Derry on Saturday night, nice warmup for UFC 205 overnight.

First one I'll miss since about Chaos 5 but the Big Apple trumps Muckerville this time!

@SDTimeout and @wonderfullife any thoughts on the main event up there? Had high hopes that Gavin Kelly might get a crack at the Bamma/Bellator event or even the UFC Belfast but no joy.

EDIT, this is MMA talk so maybe doesn't belong in the Off Topic section, lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Any interesting MMA guys on snapchat, please share usernames

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cant wait for the boiled piss when Trump wins this election, the world will go into complete seethe mode, Remember the Brexit stay experts ''its wrapped up im off to bed'' only to wake up to them leaving europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gamebred wrote: »
    Cant wait for the boiled piss when Trump wins this election, the world will go into complete seethe mode, Remember the Brexit stay experts ''its wrapped up im off to bed'' only to wake up to them leaving europe.

Wish i could be so relaxed about it. I genuinely feel he's a bigger danger to the world than Putin, Kim Jong Un, Netanyahu and Assad combined.

Purely for the reason they'll run rings around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

pp giving 5/6 for trump and evens for hrc....really starting to look like the writings on the wall! will be a relief if he does pull it off dont fancy another cold war

• Advertisement

Wish i could be so relaxed about it. I genuinely feel he's a bigger danger to the world than Putin, Kim Jong Un, Netanyahu and Assad combined.

Purely for the reason they'll run rings around him.

He is a header but the world wont end or anything,he will make some reform to the establishment hopefully and any damage done will be short term unlike the Clintons getting the reigns again,

If Trump hadnt ****ed up with some of his controversy (most was good for his publicity tbf) I really think he would've walked this.

He is a header but the world wont end or anything,he will make some reform to the establishment hopefully and any damage done will be short term unlike the Clintons getting the reigns again,

If Trump hadnt ****ed up with some of his controversy (most was good for his publicity tbf) I really think he would've walked this.

Bill Clinton oversaw a term without any major global wars etc.

Meh, i think Trump is an absolute spoofer and hasn't a notion.

Bill Clinton oversaw a term without any major global wars etc.

Meh, i think Trump is an absolute spoofer and hasn't a notion.

True I dont think he has any policies bar ''ban muslims and build a wall on the border'' :pac:

says a lot about Hilary's if hes winning.

ended up walking it even with the controversy! says a lot about clintons popularity doesnt it?

wonder will we see him cageside saturday now?

Depp wrote: »
    ended up walking it even with the controversy! says a lot about clintons popularity doesnt it?

wonder will we see him cageside saturday now?

I reckon they could have ran a homeless dog against trump and the dog would have won....but clinton was never gonna beat him.

dashoonage wrote: »
    I reckon they could have ran a homeless dog against trump and the dog would have won....but clinton was never gonna beat him.

agree...the dems effed up majorly by taking clinton over bernie...bernie v trump wouldve been a completely different story

Will be interesting to see if he follows through on the crazy plans like building walls and banning Muslims.

Will be interesting to see if he follows through on the crazy plans like building walls and banning Muslims.

Muslim block layers are ****ting it.

Some scenes now when Trump indites Hilary and puts her in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

IMMAF World Amateur MMA Championship is on BT sport 2 this evening at 23:00

As an enthusiastic writer and reader, The Mac Life website drives me bananas. Then again so do most MMA websites.

The standard of English and Grammar is atrocious, borderline shameful and these are supposed to be decent writers (John Balfe and Oscar Willis).

Latest Article:

1. "Having covered the sport for over a decade, when the reporter shares his opinion, it tends to hold some weight."

Starting a sentence with the word "Having" is criminally lazy.

A general rule of thumb in using commas is that the sentence should still make sense if the interjection contained within the commas is removed.

Remove it here and you're left with: "Having covered the sport for over a decade it tends to hold some weight"

Which is a nonsense.

How hard would it be to restructure that sentence positively?

"Ariel Helwani is a stalwart of MMA Journalism, having covered the sport for almost a decade, and his opinions are greatly respected."

It's a simple, structurally correct sentence and it reads easier.

2. "As a New York local (albeit Canadian export), Helwani would be able to analyse better than most the feeling UFC 205 is bringing to the Big Apple, and what the energy around the biggest event in MMA history is like."

That sentence is a train-wreck.

Again, he begins lazily with "As a".

He proceeds to add incorrect/unnecessary brackets.

He uses "would" as a conditional verb completely incorrectly.

He omits 100% necessary conjunctions, uses incorrect tenses.

If Hitler was around a writer would be shot on the spot for that sentence.

Easily reworked to:

"Helwani left his native Toronto to pursue a career and is extremely well equipped to judge the energy in the city during fight week; having covered mega UFC-cards and making New York his home, he has a unique perspective on the synergy UFC 205 brings to the Big Apple."

3. "It’s that activity, Helwani says, that makes him unsure as to why people seem eager to strip McGregor of a belt before he’s even raised a second above his head."

That sentence is a joke.

For a start there's zero need for "as to" and it's grammatically incorrect. Most grammar experts believe "as to" should be used sparingly and, usually, relating to "why". E.g. "There is some debate as to why Conor McGregor wore a Coogi sweater".

"before he's even raised a second above his head"

When you're talking about verbs of possession (such as holding a title) you simply CAN'T contract the words "he has" into "he's".

It's flat-out wrong. Now, if the sentence has an auxiliary verb it's allowable but frowned upon.

Man, this article is a 296 word "piece" to link to a video. It's not Shakespeare. I get that.

I just despair at the standard of writing masquerading as "journalism" and, believe it or not, people are put off by receiving constant headaches reading this tripe.

/end rant.

TL;DR : Conor - hire me i'll sort that sh1t out for you for free from my bedroom.

Before anyone bulk quotes my Boards posts to illustrate grammatical laziness - I post on Boards/Twitter for fun and I post fast and often. I'm lazy myself in the usage of verbs and conjunctions. For irony, i started my rant with "As a....". I just can't fathom how anybody being paid to write can be let away with such criminal laziness and incompetence. I'm also genuinely worried we're allowing our usage of language to go to the dogs.

People may have noticed i'm a huge McGregor and SBG fan. I just hate to see such sloppy work. Conor wouldn't tolerate throwing a lazy rear-hand uppercut or stand for throwing a sloppy teep - so why tolerate it from people he's employing.

I'd sack the both of them or make them write a 10,000 word, grammatically correct, essay to prove they can actually write.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Cant relate to what you are saying at all.

Its not prose or fancy schmancy literature they are writing. It is MMA/Sports journalisim. For their audience, it is perfectly intersting and entertaining as it is. Its not like its hard to understand. Because its far from it. For the majority of people, the writing on the Mac-Life stuff is just fine.

The articles are aimed at sports fans, not other journo's or creative writing critics in fairness.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Cant relate to what you are saying at all.

Its not prose or fancy schmancy literature they are writing. It is MMA/Sports journalisim. For their audience, it is perfectly intersting and entertaining as it is. Its not like its hard to understand. Because its far from it. For the majority of people, the writing on the Mac-Life stuff is just fine.

The articles are aimed at sports fans, not other journo's or creative writing critics in fairness.

It doesn't need to be prose. It just needs to be correct.

Just because you understand something doesn't mean it's correct.

"Lyke, my freind told me i shud go to the sinema."

You understand that. We all do. It's still wrong.

Meh, i despair at our society sometimes. Nobody gives a monkeys anymore about writing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It doesn't need to be prose. It just needs to be correct.

Just because you understand something doesn't mean it's correct.

"Lyke, my freind told me i shud go to the sinema."

You understand that. We all do. It's still wrong.

Meh, i despair at our society sometimes. Nobody gives a monkeys anymore about writing properly.

Everything thats going on in this world and its poor grammar that causes you to despair at society.

Fkin Hell.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Everything thats going on in this world and its poor grammar that causes you to despair at society.

Fkin Hell.

I know. I'm completely uncaring about the situations in Syria, America and the Middle East. I just despair at grammar.....

Oh wait....

Just move on. You disagree and you're part of the reason why the English language is going to pieces - people just accepting it being butchered on the basis "they understand it".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

wondefullife i'm just wondering why you're posting on the mma forum for only 4 months and at a feverish pace when you have an account here since 2011?. Serious question don't take offense:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well to be honest I'm not sure anyone really knows what the hell is going on in Syria and why da fuk most of the militia's are fight so poor grammar could actually be in the mix somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me with the amount of head the balls over there.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Well to be honest I'm not sure anyone really knows what the hell is going on in Syria and why da fuk most of the militia's are fight so poor grammar could actually be in the mix somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me with the amount of head the balls over there.

Somebody slept somebody's god's name wrong.

Advertisement